Scream TV Series?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Ghostface is taking his reign of terror to the small screen.

MTV is developing a weekly series based on the Scream film franchise, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively.

Former MTV execs Tony DiSanto and Liz Gateley, who are shepherding the project under their DiGa production shingle, are on the hunt for a writer to pen the pilot.

It’s unclear what role, if any, Scream auteurs Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven will have in the potential series.

The four Scream flicks have brought in $500 million globally, although the most recent pic — last year’s Scream 4 — grossed a paltry $40 million domestically.

Reality-obsessed MTV has found success on the scripted side with hits Teen Wolf and Awkward.

http://tvline.com/2012/06/03/scream-tv-series-mtv/

I've always been a big fan of the Scream franchise, but a TV series? On MTV? It's hard for me to see a positive side of this upcoming project. Scream films can feature some pretty gruesome kills (i.e. Rose McGowan's death in the first film), and each film does a feature a good amount of blood, especially the fourth installment. MTV will probably produce a more watered-down version of Scream, and die-hard fans of the film franchise will hate the TV series.

MTV will go after teenage audiences, and the series could help bring more attention to the film franchise. The TV series could attract new crowds to the Scream films, and younger audiences could develop a taste for one of the more popular slasher franchises.

MTV will attract new crowds, and fans of the films will surely give the TV series a try, but I was hoping for Scream 5. Although, with the announcement of the TV series, it just doesn't seem like a realistic possibility anymore. I LOVED Scream 4, but the lukewarm domestic box office profits didn't help the chances for another film. Scream 4 had a more successful run overseas (link to box office stats: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=scream4.htm), but still, the extra boost from the international box office wasn't enough. Also, Scream 4 didn't receive a strong positive reaction from critics and moviegoers.

I'll give the TV series a try, but I would rather have Scream 5. Just give me Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courtney Cox, and Wes Craven, and I will watch any Scream film without hesitation.

Thoughts?

The CW tried something like this a while back and it wasn't very successful. But then again is was more of a reality show then a scripted horror series but ABC has done plenty of horror shows that have also tanked. This is something that is definitely going to be a gamble because except for Supernatural ( a show that's not really all that scary, more action/drama) most horror shows that are not connected to SyFy channel usually go under after the first season or less.

The CW tried something like this a while back and it wasn't very successful. But then again is was more of a reality show then a scripted horror series but ABC has done plenty of horror shows that have also tanked. This is something that is definitely going to be a gamble because except for Supernatural ( a show that's not really all that scary, more action/drama) most horror shows that are not connected to SyFy channel usually go under after the first season or less.

I gotta disagree, since this very year FX made not only one of the finest seasons of television I've seen in a long while, but also one of the best horror stories I've seen in a while in "American Horror Story" seriously, that show was the balls.

On topic, I'd give it a watch, if it made it across the pond (it probably would) can't say that I think MTV is the best choice of network, but if it's good I'll keep watching, if not I won't.

Sounds like an interesting idea though, Scream 1, 2, and 4 were all pretty good. Scream 3 sucked though.

I gotta disagree, since this very year FX made not only one of the finest seasons of television I've seen in a long while, but also one of the best horror stories I've seen in a while in "American Horror Story" seriously, that show was the balls.

On topic, I'd give it a watch, if it made it across the pond (it probably would) can't say that I think MTV is the best choice of network, but if it's good I'll keep watching, if not I won't.

Sounds like an interesting idea though, Scream 1, 2, and 4 were all pretty good. Scream 3 sucked though.

Ah yes. I knew I was forgetting something. But correct me if I'm wrong that show happened last year and was not renewed for a second season right? Even if it's good most just don't last.

Ah yes. I knew I was forgetting something. But correct me if I'm wrong that show happened last year and was not renewed for a second season right? Even if it's good most just don't last.

No there's going to be a second series, Zachary Quito and Jessica Lange are both coming back, but they're playing different charactersit would seem (this series is set on the east, rather than west coast)

No there's going to be a second series, Zachary Quito and Jessica Lange are both coming back, but they're playing different charactersit would seem (this series is set on the east, rather than west coast)

Darn it, your right it's coming back in October. Well I'll still stand by my point that a Scream TV series is a gamble. I don't think it will be better than shows such as Supernatural or American Horror Story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back