Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

As narratively bland as it is, it is very thematically bold. It deserves to be applauded for putting some of this stuff in a Marvel film. And not just sneaking it in as subtext - basing the entire film around it; plot points, character motivations and everything. Someone calls Martin Freeman a word that drew literal applause. But it just feels like such a first draft and you could probably tell me now how the film's going to unfold, beat for beat.

If you're anything like me, you'll just see Ian McShane's face, remember Deadwood, and quietly weep.

Justified gave me the double whammy of reminiscing about Deadwood and The Shield. It's a wonder I could make out what was happening with such wet eyes.

Any of youse guys seen St Clara (or Clarita, can't remember) Diet? If, like me, you need a random Olyphant fix where he does comedy, I'd recommend it.

Have I missed much goings ons in the land of WZForums?

I was never much of a fan of Olyphant's "always on the verge of tears" style of acting.

It was quite a contrast to Swearengen's free-wheeling profanic style. There was something about Bullock's restrained and measured delivery that reeled me in though, especially when it becomes clear that he is pretty much constantly restraining his impulse to smack twelve shades of shit out of everyone.

That said, Al's response here always makes me laugh:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhj_xoNNT8s[/YOUTUBE]

(I seem to be fucking up the embed link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhj_xoNNT8s)

1. Coco ★★★★★
  2. Paddington 2 ★★★★
  3. The Shape of Water ★★★★
  4. Phantom Thread ★★★★
  5. Black Panther ★★★
  6. The Cloverfield Paradox ★

I'm not sure how Phantom Thread ended up above Paddington 2. One can only assume it was an accident.

It's been a bit of a wait for a film (nearly) as good as Pan's Labyrinth.

February

☆☆☆☆ The Shape of Water
☆☆☆ Finding Your Feet, Fifty Shades 3, Status Update, Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool, Den of Thieves and the Clint Eastwood terrorist train film
☆☆ Winchester, Black Panther and Tad and the Lost Explorer or something
☆ Father Figures

Should reach 200 by mid May. At that point instead of being content I'll aim for 500.

As history has proven, I'm easily lead.

1. Coco ★★★★★
  2. Paddington 2 ★★★★
  3. The Shape of Water ★★★★
  4. Phantom Thread ★★★★
  5. Mute ★★★
  6. Black Panther ★★★
  7. The Cloverfield Paradox ★

Mute is odd and meandering and at times I think Jones is going for a sci-fi Lock Stock kind of thing, but it's not Cloverfield Paradox levels of bad. I know "It's not a Frankenstein's monster of shit" isn't the highest compliment but the critical savaging is unwarranted.

The snow has foiled my attempt to see Lady Bird today. It's March and I'm still not able to put together a definitive 2017 list.

As somebody on Twitter pointed out, The Shape of Water did include a scene in which the creature is enraptured by the magic of cinema, so no surprises there.

It's been three months since the Oscars and I'm still scratching my head as to what was Oscar-worthy about Sam Rockwell's performance.

It's been three months since the Oscars and I'm still scratching my head as to what was Oscar-worthy about Sam Rockwell's performance.

He was a dynamic character.

That's about it.

The only other performance I'd seen besides his and Woody Harrelson's was Richard Jenkins, who I reckon has both of the Three Billboard guys beat. That said, from the trailers and clips I saw of The Florida Project, it looked like Dafoe had a strong performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back