Rumor: TMZ Says SpikeTV Cancelling Impact

Okay, so I'll explain it like your five.

TNA has a TV program, called Impact Wrestling. For it to broadcast, it must sell the rights to the show to a TV network. The TV network buys the show, it can also fund it and invest in the production company, which in this case is TNA, to produce the highest quality show possible. So over the years, it is said that Spike TV has invested millions into TNA, not thousands, millions, and it hasn't seen any of it back. Why? Because they make more money off advertising other products then they do TNA. TNA pulls in an average 1,000,000 viewers a week but with the amount of money Spike has invested they want it to be much higher, because the ratings have remained the same, and Spike has invested so much money it no longer sees a reason to keep it around. Maybe some decisions helped them decide, they reportedly don't like Vince Russo, maybe they disliked the standard of the show, the average rating has declined this year and their average attendance this year is horrible, lower then Ring of Honor's.

Spike is their biggest backer, TNA has financial issues, they can't afford the standard of production or some wrestlers salaries without Spike's money. So it's not finding a network, it's finding someone who'll pay good money for their show. Now some people are saying, "who wouldn't want a TV show that gains 1,000,000 viewers a week?" The question you should be asking is who wants a show that has been getting 1,000,000 viewers a week and can't seem to grow. If Spike can invest so much money, what's the point? It's a hurt brand with a bad image.

TNA won't get that much money off overseas deals, especially from the likes of Challenge in the UK. TNA's competition on Challenge is reruns of Bullseye from 1987. So the basic jist of it is this, without Spike's financial backing which has been very large, or financial backing of the degree TNA needs from another network, it's very likely TNA will go under. If a network wanted a wrestling program, they'd have one. They'd contact Sinclair and get ROH or like CMT, pick up Billy Corgan's Resistance Pro for a reality series. There's little point in bringing on a show with such a bad reputation from a company with such a bad image.

Didn't answer my question at all.

As long as TNA are in business do they retain the overseas television contracts?

Basically do they have to worry about getting dropped by the overseas stations as well? Because if they do that's going to hurt them even more and if they were to find a backer they'd pretty much have to start over with their overseas markets.

As I said in my other post. If Spike isn't helping fund them the production of the show is probably going to be bad and they won't be able to afford higher contracts like Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle for example. Therefore the overseas markets probably wouldn't want to do business with them anymore.

Didn't answer my question at all.

As long as TNA are in business do they retain the overseas television contracts?

Basically do they have to worry about getting dropped by the overseas stations as well? Because if they do that's going to hurt them even more and if they were to find a backer they'd pretty much have to start over with their overseas markets.

As I said in my other post. If Spike isn't helping fund them the production of the show is probably going to be bad and they won't be able to afford higher contracts like Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle for example. Therefore the overseas markets probably wouldn't want to do business with them anymore.

TNA won't get that much money off overseas deals, especially from the likes of Challenge in the UK. TNA's competition on Challenge is reruns of Bullseye from 1987. So the basic jist of it is this, without Spike's financial backing which has been very large, or financial backing of the degree TNA needs from another network, it's very likely TNA will go under.

I directly answered your questions. Overseas doesn't matter. Challenge isn't funding TNA, Spike TV is. Without Spike's or a network who is willing to spend similar amounts of money, TNA can't exist.

Also, not to be pointing out the redundant, but it has been made very clear by Kurt Angle that whether TNA had the funds or not, he isn't going to re sign with the company as he wants to finish up his career in WWE. So all this talk about not having the money for Kurt Angle is a moot point. Jeff Hardy, on the other hand, is a whole different issue.

Now that I think about it, I hope that someone like CMT picks up the show. I really wish that TNT or TBS would snag it. Sadly, I don't know if I see either of those scenarios actually working out. As a wrestling fan, I really don't want to see WWE be the only game in town. As it is right now as we look at it, it shouldn't even be called the wrestling industry in the US, it should be the WWE Industry, and that's very sad. I miss the days of the territories and having other feds to watch on TV and such. I don't like the cookie cutter WWE style and sound. That is one of the nice things about also having TNA on the TV. I'd even watch ROH more often if we actually got it in my area. I doubt Sinclair will be in my California area anytime soon.

IDK what you're talking about. Everything you've said in this thread seems to be fabricated from your own mind. There has never been a consensus among fans who follow independent wrestling, who most probably follow WWE or TNA or ROH as well, that TNA should close down. There are very few sole, radical independent wrestling fans left. I'm not an indie wrestling fan, I'm a wrestling fan, my favored promotion is ROH because for me it's pound for pound the best product that appeals to me - little talking, focal point being the wrestling. I stopped watching TNA last year because I found Bound for Glory to be horrible, and the Impact after it had less than 30 minutes of wrestling in a two hour broadcast. It just became something not worth watching for me.

As I've said in this thread, I'm sad some people will be losing their jobs, I'm sad that another wrestling promotion may close its doors unless something big happens, I'm sad that a promotion I used to like and even loved during the days of Christian Cage and Planet Jarrett and Team Canada and The Angle Alliance etc, etc. But the positive for me is, if it closes down, ROH becomes default number two, and I feel in 2014 it may not have the size due to its TV deal, but ROH has been the number two through momentum and consistency. Two things TNA has had little of.

I disarree you have not seen what I have seen, there are those that want tna to shut down for that reason. Although they never seem to care about indy wrestling otherwise, there is chance they don't really care about the indies and are pretending to.

I will say this I hope ROH the best and would love to see them get a tv deal along with GFW, and even AAA a better one. I hate that tna has to die now, what a horrible story for many of the wrestlers.

I'm going to get called idiot and what not, but i really think this is a angle to get Dixie out of the picture and re-brand themselves as GFW. It's no big secret that they was wanting to distance themselves from the letters TNA in the past, but do a large amounts of negativity, they just change the show from TNA iMPACT to iMPACT Wrestling.

From the announcement of GFW to now, seems a little bit too coincidental to me. What do we know about GFW? A couple of T-Shirts? Talent Scouting? Couple of promo videos?

I think what will happen, the last episode of impact will be live. Dixie Carter and Spike officials are in the ring where they announce the end of their relationship. Spike officials thinks Dixie carter. Spike officials than announce that "Just because Spike TV and TNA decided it's in both parties best interest to part ways that Wrestling on spike tv isn't coming to an end, and they have worked out a long term lengthy contract with the founder of TNA Jeff Jarrett new wrestling promotion GFW, and they will take their spot next Thursday at 9pm"

At this point, Dixie is fuming mad and cursing the Spike TV officials as the broadcast abruptly ends. Following Thursday GFW goes on without a hitch. The next Thursday at the end of the second ever broadcast of GFW, EC3 and the Goons followed by dixie attacks and the TNA roster attacks Jarrett when the GFW roster runs to the ring. At the end of the night, TNA is standing strong as the fallout of their attack lay all around them.

This will go on week after week where they alternate who comes out on top (TNA/GFW) Eventually Jarrett has enough of it and the damage Dixie has caused, and in the heat of the moment he issues a challenge to dixie for winner takes all. It will be roster vs roster, tna vs gfw. The winner wins 100% ownership of either the other company, and the both rosters merge into one.

Dixie Accepts. A Week before the PPV she says that she has an ace up her sleeve, and that there is no way that Jarrett could win.

At the PPV.. Team Dixie is standing on the ramp when all of a sudden AJ styles music starts playing. A long grueling match occurs. Right when it looked like team dixie is going to take it all, AJ styles turns on team Dixie and GFW gets the win.

Following Episode of GFW will me known as GFW:iMPACT. The opening segment.. Jeff Jarrett is in the ring with AJ Styles with a table set up in the middle of the ring. Jeff tells Dixie to get to the ring because she has papers to sign.

Dixie Comes to the ring with spud by her side. She is teary eyed and both her and Jarrett takes a seat. Before dixie signs the 'deed' to tna over to jarret, she gets the mic and looks at AJ Styles and asked him "Why?". AJ Styles delivers a work shoot on Dixie Carter. Dixie turns back around and signs of the rights of TNA to Jarrett.

Jeff looks over the documents and tells Dixie what he thinks about her, than he tell her "Now get out of MY ring!".. Her and spud started out of the ring when Jarrett says "Spud, where are you going? I now own your contact. You work for GFW, get over here, or you can go find a new place to work. Spud waves bye to Dixie and joins Jarrett.

Jarrett than tells Dixie that he has some employees that wants to make sure she safely makes it off the property. Jarrett motions to the back and says "Boys, come on out" and the TNA roster appears to throw Dixie off the property as the fans chants..... "Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye".

Wishful thinking i know, but i truthfully believe this is some type of work. If not, AOL/Timewarner is looking to get back into the wrestling biz, and FS1 is looking for more content to add to their lineup.

Not a surprise at all. They were run just as bad as WCW was. As a matter of fact they made some of the exact same mistakes. Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

But on the bright side somebody might be able to scoop in and buy TNA on the cheap. The best thing that could happen to TNA right now is to be sold and be gone with the Carters. Tell Dixie and her inner circle to take a hike and get some REAL wrestling people in there. Start over and rebuild. I really don't want to see Vince or Jarrett buy it.

One positive that i see is that maybe Taz will finally be gone.

If it's anything, you're one of few TNA diehards I know of who I genuinely feel sorry for.
Shit, not me. For years he took his passive aggressive shots at wrestling fans with his bro Zeven. I wouldn't feel an ounce of anything for either one of them. Find something else to watch.

If anything we should feel bad for the mid card guys in TNA who might have a hard time finding work elsewhere.

I'm going to get called idiot and what not, but i really think this is a angle to get Dixie out of the picture and re-brand themselves as GFW. It's no big secret that they was wanting to distance themselves from the letters TNA in the past, but do a large amounts of negativity, they just change the show from TNA iMPACT to iMPACT Wrestling.

From the announcement of GFW to now, seems a little bit too coincidental to me. What do we know about GFW? A couple of T-Shirts? Talent Scouting? Couple of promo videos?

I think what will happen, the last episode of impact will be live. Dixie Carter and Spike officials are in the ring where they announce the end of their relationship. Spike officials thinks Dixie carter. Spike officials than announce that "Just because Spike TV and TNA decided it's in both parties best interest to part ways that Wrestling on spike tv isn't coming to an end, and they have worked out a long term lengthy contract with the founder of TNA Jeff Jarrett new wrestling promotion GFW, and they will take their spot next Thursday at 9pm"

At this point, Dixie is fuming mad and cursing the Spike TV officials as the broadcast abruptly ends. Following Thursday GFW goes on without a hitch. The next Thursday at the end of the second ever broadcast of GFW, EC3 and the Goons followed by dixie attacks and the TNA roster attacks Jarrett when the GFW roster runs to the ring. At the end of the night, TNA is standing strong as the fallout of their attack lay all around them.

This will go on week after week where they alternate who comes out on top (TNA/GFW) Eventually Jarrett has enough of it and the damage Dixie has caused, and in the heat of the moment he issues a challenge to dixie for winner takes all. It will be roster vs roster, tna vs gfw. The winner wins 100% ownership of either the other company, and the both rosters merge into one.

Dixie Accepts. A Week before the PPV she says that she has an ace up her sleeve, and that there is no way that Jarrett could win.

At the PPV.. Team Dixie is standing on the ramp when all of a sudden AJ styles music starts playing. A long grueling match occurs. Right when it looked like team dixie is going to take it all, AJ styles turns on team Dixie and GFW gets the win.

Following Episode of GFW will me known as GFW:iMPACT. The opening segment.. Jeff Jarrett is in the ring with AJ Styles with a table set up in the middle of the ring. Jeff tells Dixie to get to the ring because she has papers to sign.

Dixie Comes to the ring with spud by her side. She is teary eyed and both her and Jarrett takes a seat. Before dixie signs the 'deed' to tna over to jarret, she gets the mic and looks at AJ Styles and asked him "Why?". AJ Styles delivers a work shoot on Dixie Carter. Dixie turns back around and signs of the rights of TNA to Jarrett.

Jeff looks over the documents and tells Dixie what he thinks about her, than he tell her "Now get out of MY ring!".. Her and spud started out of the ring when Jarrett says "Spud, where are you going? I now own your contact. You work for GFW, get over here, or you can go find a new place to work. Spud waves bye to Dixie and joins Jarrett.

Jarrett than tells Dixie that he has some employees that wants to make sure she safely makes it off the property. Jarrett motions to the back and says "Boys, come on out" and the TNA roster appears to throw Dixie off the property as the fans chants..... "Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye".

Wishful thinking i know, but i truthfully believe this is some type of work. If not, AOL/Timewarner is looking to get back into the wrestling biz, and FS1 is looking for more content to add to their lineup.

When Jarrett first left, I was wondering if it was a work. As time went on, I gave up on it. But, reading your post was awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write it. I would LOVE to see it. This REALLY WOULD be like an NWO invasion angle (that TNA has tried to do so many times before). Although, it would be more similar to the UWF/NWA angle. Thanks for writing! I really, really enjoyed your post and would enjoy seeing this happen.

Also, not to be pointing out the redundant, but it has been made very clear by Kurt Angle that whether TNA had the funds or not, he isn't going to re sign with the company as he wants to finish up his career in WWE. So all this talk about not having the money for Kurt Angle is a moot point. Jeff Hardy, on the other hand, is a whole different issue.
For every rumor that Kurt is a lock to go to the WWE after his TNA contract expires, there's a rumor that states that the WWE has no interest in Kurt as an in ring talent. So if Kurt wants to continue as a wrestler and not just a personality in the wrestling business, its possible that WWE will not be an option.

Now that I think about it, I hope that someone like CMT picks up the show.
CMT is a Viacom network, just like Spike. If Viacom is not willing to pay TNA what it would take to continue airing Impact on Spike, they're not gonna negotiate a deal for them to move to another network that they control.

I really wish that TNT or TBS would snag it. Sadly, I don't know if I see either of those scenarios actually working out.
If Turner Broadcasting was to have a desire to air pro wrestling again, they would likely air it on one of their smaller and more struggling networks. TruTV would actually be a good home for Impact if it does indeed leave Spike. TruTV could use a consistent weekly product like Impact and would probably be the flagship show for their low rated network. Also they have an in with TruTV as that station airs other programming produced by Bischoff Hervey Entertainment. And if Impact did perform increasingly well on that network then a move up to programming on larger Turner platforms like TNT may be an outside possibility as well. Since Viacom networks are out of the equation(meaning stations like MTV2 for example aren't a possibility) and I doubt that AMC would have an interest in TNA, TruTV might be TNA's best option as a network to shop Impact to.

I'd even watch ROH more often if we actually got it in my area. I doubt Sinclair will be in my California area anytime soon.
You can always watch it for free on their website.

I don't know about all that, but the reason I was always suspicious was because Jeff Jarrett kept his shares of the company. Doesn't make sense for a share holder to be starting up a rival company and being allowed to do it. I always though there was a possibility of it happening because the TNA brand is so tainted. I wouldn't be surprised if the end game is for Jarrett and Spike TV to buy TNA (legitimately) and fuse it into GFW and sell the product as GFW.

I haven't watched TNA in about a year and a half (just reading results) but damn, I would feel like shit if they were to go under. I was a HUGE fan from 2005 til the start of 2013 and feel like its been one hell of a bumpy ass ride but there is talent on that roster, and probably personnel behind the scenes, who deserve a shit ton more than what they are getting.

Seriously hoping a deal can be reached.

Each side is playing things close to the chest. I don't think too much can be made of either company's "We can't comment on ongoing negotiations" statement beyond that neither side is willing to make any announcement. I see it as coming down to two options on the table for either side at the moment.

With Dixie, Panda, and TNA, we have the reports/rumors that the word from Dixie is that they need to get ready to leave Spike soon. It seems that this, if true, would be for one of two reasons: either Dixie/Panda is tired of dealing with Spike, or they knew or suspected that Spike was tossing them. If it is the former, then Dixie and company better have their crap together because October is not that far away. If it is the latter, then Dixie and company are probably better off embracing their fate and utilizing their TV time to get over, get momentum, and make themselves more appealing to another partner, fast.

On Spike's side, I can't see Spike letting TNA walk in October without good reason. And there are really only two good reasons here: either Spike is tired of footing the bill for TNA and getting the results they get, or they really are that butt hurt about Vince Russo. If it's the money or the ratings, they better realize that they can't fault TNA without faulting themselves as well. If it's Russo, I'm inclined to side with Spike. Not because I hate Russo or feel he shouldn't have a job in wrestling or what have you, but because the report is that this was an directly expressed request from Spike to TNA, and Dixie flat out broke that word, and hid it from them, probably having to lie about it to them as well. In Spike's position, I would not wish to do business with Dixie any longer at that point. If true, it makes Russo's secret rehiring a blatantly disrespectful act on Dixie's part.

DirtyJosé;4947021 said:
If it's the money or the ratings, they better realize that they can't fault TNA without faulting themselves as well. If it's Russo, I'm inclined to side with Spike. Not because I hate Russo or feel he shouldn't have a job in wrestling or what have you, but because the report is that this was an directly expressed request from Spike to TNA, and Dixie flat out broke that word, and hid it from them, probably having to lie about it to them as well. In Spike's position, I would not wish to do business with Dixie any longer at that point. If true, it makes Russo's secret rehiring a blatantly disrespectful act on Dixie's part.

First off, it's good to see you back here, dude. But the recent hiring of Vince Russo being the catalyst for Spike to dump TNA comes off as extremely petty on their part given Russo's role was no less than phone conversations with the creative team. It comes off as daddy telling you not to be around the kid down the street because he's a distraction and yelling because you said hi. It would make sense if Russo played an active role backstage or was directly booking but the man was nowhere in sight backstage or in corporate.

First off, it's good to see you back here, dude. But the recent hiring of Vince Russo being the catalyst for Spike to dump TNA comes off as extremely petty on their part given Russo's role was no less than phone conversations with the creative team. It comes off as daddy telling you not to be around the kid down the street because he's a distraction and yelling because you said hi. It would make sense if Russo played an active role backstage or was directly booking but the man was nowhere in sight backstage or in corporate.

But we don't really know that for sure. Russo fessed up to the phone stuff only because of the email he accidentally cc'd to a reporter. Not that I suspect some giant conspiracy, but we don't know for certain the extent of his involvement or influence.

Same boy in your story, only he sells and smokes meth, and instead of saying hi you were hanging out with him and lying about it. When you get caught, you're like "yeah, he kicked it, but I promise I wasn't smoking no meth".

Ok, let's just drop that story stuff. Anyway, I think it's within Spike's right to inform TNA that they no longer wish to have anything to do with Russo, to have Russo have any influence on what is put on their network, and that to continue to do so will have severe consequences. I don't know how much of that warning was given to Dixie, or what kind of understanding they claimed to come to about it, but it makes sense to me why Spike might be upset.

I don't really give a flying horse shit if hurts spike, if spike is somehow convinced that tna can make them money, even if it is not true, truth is I would love spike to make that mistake. I can't blame them they dumped tna, but I hope for the sake of tna they renew tna, I don't give a shit if spike loses some money from the deal. I care about he wrestlers, not the fucking suits at spike, would rather see wrestlers keep their jobs fuck tna going under.

I don't really give a flying horse shit if hurts spike, if spike is somehow convinced that tna can make them money, even if it is not true, truth is I would love spike to make that mistake. I can't blame them they dumped tna, but I hope for the sake of tna they renew tna, I don't give a shit if spike loses some money from the deal. I care about he wrestlers, not the fucking suits at spike, would rather see wrestlers keep their jobs fuck tna going under.

Then blame the management at TNA and not Spike. TNA is a business. Spike is a business. The goal of all businesses is to make money (otherwise they will not stay in business). TNA completely failed.

Spike gave TNA a chance. They gave them air time (they even gave them a shot at reigniting the war), money and allowed them time to grow. They were willing to take a loss for awhile until TNA could build a solid fan base. TNA never did. TNA stopped growing.

You should give a shit. The people who work at Spike are people too. They aren't just suits. If they keep renewing TNA, they would lose their jobs. The very people who poured money into TNA, the people who gave them a chance, the people who were willing to be patience and wait to see if TNA would grow, would lose their jobs. The next person brought in would not make the same mistake. So the people who gave them a shot would be gone and TNA would be gone with it.

To the people wondering why Spike would cancel their highest rated show. It is simple. Money is the only thing that matters. The ratings could be .01 or 50 but as long as it doesn't make money, it won't last. It can't last.

TNA will not be picked up by another Network. There is no chance of this. Renewing or signing a new deal with a lower budget would be very harmful to TNA and the Network. TNA would have to operate at even a bigger loss or cut their costs way down. Which means their product would suffer even more. Which means they will lose viewers. Which means it is still a money pit.

TNA has no one to blame for themselves. On the January 4th 2010 Monday Night edition of Impact, TNA was at its peak. They had AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, RVD, Sting, Ken Anderson, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Kaz, Desmond Wolfe, Beer Money, Motor City Machine Guns, Abyss, The Pope, Matt Morgan, and so on. At that time they probably had one the greatest rosters ever assembled. Since then, they have gone down hill with poor booking and bad roster management. I can say about TNA is shoulda, woulda, coulda

TNA has no one to blame for themselves. On the January 4th 2010 Monday Night edition of Impact, TNA was at its peak. They had AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, RVD, Sting, Ken Anderson, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Kaz, Desmond Wolfe, Beer Money, Motor City Machine Guns, Abyss, The Pope, Matt Morgan, and so on. At that time they probably had one the greatest rosters ever assembled. Since then, they have gone down hill with poor booking and bad roster management. I can say about TNA is shoulda, woulda, coulda

Actually, the decline wasn't in 2010 after Hogan's debut or the Immortal storyline. It was in 2012 after Vince Russo left. The 2010 average rating (1.11) was only a little under the 2009 average (1.15) and 2011 showed an increase with an average TNA rating of (1.17). Every rating was above 1 apart from one show which was...0.99. In February 2012, Russo left and that's the same month ratings went down hill. That's when they started to make poor booking decisions and manage the roster poorly and it's gotten progressively worse over two years.

So I guess we can place some blame on the creative, BUT, who was it that decided to keep Lagana with the role of head of creative? Dixie Carter.

What's funny is that you poorly disguised TNA hateboys keep acting as if TNA has been performing poorly for Spike. They haven't. "Declines" of tenths of a rating matter little, especially when the average is still a 1.0+ show consistently. Spike hasn't "poured" money into TNA for nothing; they are getting something from it too. Maybe let your disdain for the company cool a bit and realize that maybe other people know more about the TV business than you do.

DirtyJosé;4947673 said:
What's funny is that you poorly disguised TNA hateboys keep acting as if TNA has been performing poorly for Spike. They haven't. "Declines" of tenths of a rating matter little, especially when the average is still a 1.0+ show consistently. Spike hasn't "poured" money into TNA for nothing; they are getting something from it too. Maybe let your disdain for the company cool a bit and realize that maybe other people know more about the TV business than you do.

You do know that the rating doesn't mean they make money, right? Say you own a network and you decide to buy my show. My show becomes the highest rated show, with a 1 TV rating. Now factor in that my show does not attract big name sponsors (something analyst pointed out about the WWE, they have a hard time attracting major ad companies) and that my show has high production cost. Let's also say that most of my production costs need to be covered by you. Then after 5 years, I finally get the biggest names I can possibly assemble. Then during the next few years, all those guys slowly start to leave. Along with the ratings not moving up at all. After 9 years of losing money on my show and nothing in the foreseeable future showing any hope of that changing, you would still keep my show going?

Spike running reruns of Cops probably would make them more money. They can do reruns or have cheaply produced new episodes. The sponsors would be about the same as what TNA gets.

So let's review.

1. Renew TNA. Still lose money. Still have no hope of changing anytime soon. But hey, a 1 TV rating.

2. Cancel TNA and show reruns of Cops. Make money. Continuously make money for the foreseeable future. Lower TV rating.

Option number 1 would NEVER be picked by a sane businessman. The only way it would be sane to pick option number 1 is if they showed signs of turning it around. TNA hasn't. They stagnated.

TNA was given a lot of time and patience. But in the end, Spike still has to make money. They are a business. They can't offer TNA less, that would end up creating more problems (more roster restrictions and production cutbacks wouldn't draw more people or money).

Don't let your love of TNA blind you to the fact that TV ratings mean nothing. If you can't make money, you will not stay in business.

I thought TNA was one of Spike TV's highest rating shows. Maybe Jeff Jarret and his wrestling company (GFW) was working behind the scene to take over TNA's position on Spike. Maybe McMahon is behind TNA getting canceled, he is looking for new tv networks for his wrestling shows. I'm not surprised with this show being canceled after top TNA wrestlers one by one start jumping ship. After Hogan left the other top wrestlers left (AJ, Sting, Sabin, Daniels, Jarret, Tara and others). I've been a wrestling fan for over 20 years, and Dixie Carter is about to lose her company that started out being a good wrestling company. TNA is sinking fast maybe someone can save them.

I haven't watched TNA regularly in years, nice try failtroll. Do you have Spike ad data in front of you? Do you have the hard numbers? No? Well then quit acting like you know what you are talking about. We can't even have a proper discussion about this because you apparently can not see any good from TNA as a company at all. When you're ready to grow up, get back at me.

Spike saw fit to keep TNA around for 8 years. Hard to believe they'd only now just realize that it isn't a WWE-killer. They either tired of dealing with Dixie, or they have something else down the way instead.

DirtyJosé;4947795 said:
I haven't watched TNA regularly in years, nice try failtroll. Do you have Spike ad data in front of you? Do you have the hard numbers? No? Well then quit acting like you know what you are talking about. We can't even have a proper discussion about this because you apparently can not see any good from TNA as a company at all. When you're ready to grow up, get back at me.

Spike saw fit to keep TNA around for 8 years. Hard to believe they'd only now just realize that it isn't a WWE-killer. They either tired of dealing with Dixie, or they have something else down the way instead.

Actually 9 years (05-14).

I don't hate TNA. Why would I? How would I know you don't watch TNA (I don't either)?

Why would Spike cancel a TV show that was its highest rated show and made them money? No, that would be stupid. It can't be TNA demanded more money. If they lose Spike, they are dead. So they wouldn't risk doing that. It can't just be Vince Russo. Spike isn't changing their programming direction. It has to be they aren't recouping what they put in.

The ad data is common sense. Think about it.

Running reruns of Cops presumably cost significantly less than what TNA costs Spike. That means that making a profit of Cops would be much easier than TNA. Spike wouldn't have to continuously pump money into Cops.

I used WWE as an example as it may explain why their new TV deal was lower than they expected it to be. That is because wrestling doesn't get the big time ads. If the WWE has a hard time attracting sponsors, imagine how hard it is for TNA.

Plus think about all the names TNA brought in (I believe Spike helped pay for Hogan's contract). None of them changed the ratings. None of them brought in more viewers. TNA stagnated. There is no foreseeable growth. If they were making money, regardless of whether they stagnated or not, for Spike then I'm sure they would have renewed the TV deal.

What possible reason could Spike have to just randomly cancel a profitable and high rated (for them) TV show?

If TNA is profitable, why haven't other networks lined up to start bidding?

There is no other logical explanation except money. Your reasons of they got tired of Dixie or something else are much more logical than mine right?

Those are important facts, but that overlooks another stunning fact – wrestling gets lousy advertising revenue. Despite all of those dedicated fans, advertising rates for professional wrestling remains exceptionally low. According to Scarborough’s research, slightly more than a quarter (28%) of WWE avid fans earn more than $50,000 annually – that compares to 51% for the U.S. adult population. Compare as one might to NASCAR, you don’t see Car commercials and Beer ads during wrestling broadcasts.

Several months ago, an analyst told me that based on the advertising rates they estimated for WWE, they couldn’t fathom why a network would pay more than $160 to $180 million annually for the WWE contract. After all, WWE viewers can’t be counted on to stick around. Or in television lingo: “WWE doesn’t provide much of a halo effect to other network programming” (with the notable exception of MMA reality shows). Yet, without addressing this fundamental paradox, WWE continued to promise potential investors (and potential bidders) that since live sports were hot and signing huge contracts, so they expected to sign a huge contract too.

Translation, wrestling doesn't attract big time sponsors.

I think a company or idea can survive if there is one driving force that will not give up on it. It could be a group of people of even just one person willing to keep the idea alive. If Dixie Carter in her heart wants to keep TNA going and has the perseverance to keep going through what appears to be a very trying time for her wrestling company TNA will survive. ROH did go without a TV home for about a year and bit when it was dropped from HDNet. It persevered and was picked up in a Fox syndication deal. They just kept wrestling and making DVDs and scouting talent biding their time until they got a TV deal. If worse comes to worse they can go on the internet or go back to old school payperviews.

TNA has the resources to survive. If they want it to survive it can be done. Based on TNA's resistant history and what they've done in the past I don't think it will fold. Hang in there TNA the wrestling world is better with you in it.

I thought TNA was one of Spike TV's highest rating shows. Maybe Jeff Jarret and his wrestling company (GFW) was working behind the scene to take over TNA's position on Spike. Maybe McMahon is behind TNA getting canceled, he is looking for new tv networks for his wrestling shows. I'm not surprised with this show being canceled after top TNA wrestlers one by one start jumping ship. After Hogan left the other top wrestlers left (AJ, Sting, Sabin, Daniels, Jarret, Tara and others). I've been a wrestling fan for over 20 years, and Dixie Carter is about to lose her company that started out being a good wrestling company. TNA is sinking fast maybe someone can save them.

It was Jeff baby first and he still owns 29% of TNA. Which probably was a red flag to Spike. Spike Executives was probably thinking "Why is the other owner starting a new wrestling promotion and shopping for a tv deal elsewhere?" How can Dixie and crew answer that question without looking stupid? In hindsight, TNA is funding GFW. Add on the Russo stuff and the lack of growth in the 18-49 demo, its probably not worth the effort and money to them.

The best thing for TNA is for Dixie to sell the company to Viacom or to give it to Jeff Jarrett and Toby Keith.

Dave Meltzer said Spike might give them a short term extension until the end of the year. They did the same thing with ECW during the TNN days. TNA wouldn't get paid though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back