Royal Rumble 1997 last 7

oldschool123

Pre-Show Stalwart
Obviously Steve Austin won.

The other 7 down the homestretch were Undertaker, Bret Hart, Rocky Maivia, Fake Diesel(Kane), Terry Funk, Mankind, and Vader.

The final 8 in the 1997 Royal Rumble account for 27 WWE Championship reigns and 11 WCW/World Heavyweight championship reigns by my count. The only one of them to never hold the WWE or WCW/World Heavyweight was Terry Funk and he is a Hall of Famer.:worship::worship:

Does any other Royal Rumble even come close to having those type of legends at the end?

I have a question to ask even though its nothing to do with the thread really why does Austin not fight sid since he was the champ at mania was this even discussed on raw why he wasnt going on to mania to fight for the title.

Well in 2010 the final 5 is jericho, edge batista, cena and Michaels only like jericho and edge outta this group cena has like 11 titles edge 10, jericho like 6 michaels would have about 6 aswell and so would batista thats alot this is only what i can think of the top of my head theirs more likely better than that lol.

In terms of star power in the overall rumble match, the clear winner is the 1992 Royal Rumble. Bulldog, Dibiase, Flair, HBK, Valentine, Volkoff, Piper, Jake Roberts, Duggan, IRS, Snuka, Undertaker, Savage, Virgil, Iron Shiek, Martel, Hogan, Slaughter and Sid, and many more. It wasn't as if this was all the WWF had to offer, as the Legion of Doom and The New Foundation were both on the undercard.

As for the final 8, it's tough to rival it, I honestly don't think you can, although the final 7 of the 2004 was very good. I know I'm cheating just a bit, but Goldberg, Cena, RVD, Jericho, Angle, Big Show and Benoit are all very impressive, and are all legends/will be legends (even if WWE doesn't acknowledge Benoit)

I have a question to ask even though its nothing to do with the thread really why does Austin not fight sid since he was the champ at mania was this even discussed on raw why he wasnt going on to mania to fight for the title.

Well in 2010 the final 5 is jericho, edge batista, cena and Michaels only like jericho and edge outta this group cena has like 11 titles edge 10, jericho like 6 michaels would have about 6 aswell and so would batista thats alot this is only what i can think of the top of my head theirs more likely better than that lol.

Austin won that Royal Rumble with much controversy. He was eliminated and the ref didn't see it, and he cam back in and won. At In Your House: Final Four they had a Four Corners match with Taker, Austin, Hart, and Vader in which Hart won. Micheal's in the meantime "lost his smile", and vacated the title. Sid then faced Hart on Raw and won the title due to Austin interference. Austin and Hart feuded all the way to the historic match at Mania 13 and Sid faced Undertaker. It was a big cluster, but we got the great Austin/Hart match out of it. I hope that answers your question.

On to the thread. I like the final seven you picked, but that was a pretty heavy hitting final seven in the OP. Funk had also won the NWA title and the ECW title so that adds even more to that group. I am going to do a little research and see if I can find another one like that. Pretty cool thread.

1992, final four had how many titles between them?
FLAIR: 16+
HOGAN: 12
SID: 4
SAVAGE: 6

There's 38 world title in WWE/WCW in just the final four, im sure checking who the last 8 were would only garner for champions in the ring

Austin won that Royal Rumble with much controversy. He was eliminated and the ref didn't see it, and he cam back in and won. At In Your House: Final Four they had a Four Corners match with Taker, Austin, Hart, and Vader in which Hart won. Micheal's in the meantime "lost his smile", and vacated the title. Sid then faced Hart on Raw and won the title due to Austin interference. Austin and Hart feuded all the way to the historic match at Mania 13 and Sid faced Undertaker. It was a big cluster, but we got the great Austin/Hart match out of it. I hope that answers your question.

On to the thread. I like the final seven you picked, but that was a pretty heavy hitting final seven in the OP. Funk had also won the NWA title and the ECW title so that adds even more to that group. I am going to do a little research and see if I can find another one like that. Pretty cool thread.
Final Four was actually for the WWF title. Michaels vacated the title on the special two hour "Thursday Raw Thursday" (I swear to you, that was the name) prior to Final Four. Final Four was supposed to be a No. 1 contender's match, but was changed to the title match after HBK gave up the belt. Everything else you said was correct. Bret won the title, lost it to Sid the night after due to Austin's interference. Then Taker came out after, I believe, Hart and Austin fought to the back. That set up the two big matches for Mania that year.

On topic, 1992 was the most star-studded Rumble ever (looking at past, present and future stars), but that final 8 in 1997 is pretty impressive.

Final Four was actually for the WWF title. Michaels vacated the title on the special two hour "Thursday Raw Thursday" (I swear to you, that was the name) prior to Final Four. Final Four was supposed to be a No. 1 contender's match, but was changed to the title match after HBK gave up the belt. Everything else you said was correct. Bret won the title, lost it to Sid the night after due to Austin's interference. Then Taker came out after, I believe, Hart and Austin fought to the back. That set up the two big matches for Mania that year.

On topic, 1992 was the most star-studded Rumble ever (looking at past, present and future stars), but that final 8 in 1997 is pretty impressive.

Yeah you are right, that was the only part that I couldn't really remember, and that is if Sid or Hart was champ going into their match, or if they fought for the still vacated title. I remember Thursday Raw Thursday now that you mention it. Thanks for filling in my blanks. Also, yeah 92 would have the 97 one beat. My favorite Rumble all time, and it slipped my mind in trying to explain why Austin didn't go for the belt at Mania.

One of my favorite parts about that Rumble, fake Diesel/Kane not Vader was actually one of the last 4 but wasn't included in the Final 4 match at the IYH PPV in February.. oops...

the 92 Rumble would have a better line up since it was for the title. the 2 top guys that would fight for the title were in the rumble, so if you add HBK (4 titles) and Sid (4 titles) that bumps it up even more...

1992, final four had how many titles between them?
FLAIR: 16+
HOGAN: 12
SID: 4
SAVAGE: 6

There's 38 world title in WWE/WCW in just the final four, im sure checking who the last 8 were would only garner for champions in the ring

As far as 1992 the others in the last 9 only had 1 more title with Sgt Slaughter..

Virgil
Skinner
Sgt. Slaughter
Irwin R. Schyster
The Warlord
Rick Martel
Roddy Piper

One of my favorite parts about that Rumble, fake Diesel/Kane not Vader was actually one of the last 4 but wasn't included in the Final 4 match at the IYH PPV in February.. oops...

Well he was actually eliminated legally by Hart. Vader, Taker, and Hart were all eliminated illegally by Austin, therefore they were the ones who got the shot at the title.

I always used to think that having someone in the final 4 of a Rumble was usually a sign of faith from the WWE. You were the guys that the company trusted to headline one of the biggest events of the year.

Then Santino blew that idea to shit.

Well he was actually eliminated legally by Hart. Vader, Taker, and Hart were all eliminated illegally by Austin, therefore they were the ones who got the shot at the title.

I always used to think that having someone in the final 4 of a Rumble was usually a sign of faith from the WWE. You were the guys that the company trusted to headline one of the biggest events of the year.

Then Santino blew that idea to shit.

Not going to lie, I thought for about 2 seconds Santino was going to win... they have never had a fluke winner and with 40 guys that year I thought it was the perfect year...

I've said this in the past, the final 7 of the '97 Rumble is the strongest in the history of that match, shows how far we have fallen eh. Also on another note from that match, Mil Mascaras eliminated himself to save face(intended), what an ego.

I've said this in the past, the final 7 of the '97 Rumble is the strongest in the history of that match, shows how far we have fallen eh. Also on another note from that match, Mil Mascaras eliminated himself to save face(intended), what an ego.

The funny thing about that is that he didn't even do it right. He went through the ropes (not over) to the apron and went to the top turnbuckle to attack the other Mexican star on the outside. He went back in and was ruled out even though he shouldn't have been because he never went over the top rope. Ahmed Johnson (aka Mr. Wedgie) also eliminated himself to go after Farooq.

Thanks mate i knew how austin won it so i guessed it was due to that but wasn't sure do you think if michaels hadn't have got injured and lost his smile do you think it would have been taker vs michaels in the main event?

Interesting thread. 2002 was very strong. The year Triple H won it was: Kurt Angle, Mr Perfect, Steve Austin, Booker T, RVD and Kane.

Compare that with '97: I think it is very close but I think 2002 edges it.

2007 starts so well: Taker, HBK, Edge, Orton but then we have The Great Khali, MVP and Chavo. 2010 likewise Edge, Cena, Batista HBK, Jericho then Kofi and R-Truth.

In terms of star power in the overall rumble match, the clear winner is the 1992 Royal Rumble. Bulldog, Dibiase, Flair, HBK, Valentine, Volkoff, Piper, Jake Roberts, Duggan, IRS, Snuka, Undertaker, Savage, Virgil, Iron Shiek, Martel, Hogan, Slaughter and Sid, and many more.

Did you really dare to include Virgil on this otherwise legitimate list of legends??

That aside, I agree it was 1992. The post is about the final 7 or 8, not the whole list of entrants. So, I will not use names like DiBiase, Valentine and Roberts to strengthen my argument. However, Flair, Sid, Hogan, Savage, Piper, Martel, Warlord and IRS (just missing the cut is former WWF champion Sgt. Slaughter) is an extremely stacked octet. Warlord was the weakest of the bunch, figuratively. The rest were champions at one or many times before and after--and at the current time, in regards to Piper.

Of the 1997 group, which admittedly was star-studded, I would list Vader as my "Warlord". RELAX! Vader was champ and Warlord wasn't...I know! But, he still doesn't have the all-time status of the others, much like Warlord doesn't fit in with the rest of the 1992 finalists.

Both lists are STACKED with all-time greats (aside from the two mentioned above). I think what will break the tie for me is that at the time of each respective Rumble, the 1992 group was already established, legendary and, in some cases, elite immortals on the Mount Rushmore of pro wrestling. In 1997, these guys were on the path to greatness, but most of them weren't there yet. Eventually, they could arguably replace some of the previous Mount Rushmore occupants...but not in 1997.

Historical impact-wise, the 8 vs. 8 may very well lead to a closer vote and one hell of an argument for both sides. But, at the time of the Rumble, 1992's final 8 trumps 1997's.

Did you really dare to include Virgil on this otherwise legitimate list of legends??

That aside, I agree it was 1992. The post is about the final 7 or 8, not the whole list of entrants. So, I will not use names like DiBiase, Valentine and Roberts to strengthen my argument. However, Flair, Sid, Hogan, Savage, Piper, Martel, Warlord and IRS (just missing the cut is former WWF champion Sgt. Slaughter) is an extremely stacked octet. Warlord was the weakest of the bunch, figuratively. The rest were champions at one or many times before and after--and at the current time, in regards to Piper.

Of the 1997 group, which admittedly was star-studded, I would list Vader as my "Warlord". RELAX! Vader was champ and Warlord wasn't...I know! But, he still doesn't have the all-time status of the others, much like Warlord doesn't fit in with the rest of the 1992 finalists.

Both lists are STACKED with all-time greats (aside from the two mentioned above). I think what will break the tie for me is that at the time of each respective Rumble, the 1992 group was already established, legendary and, in some cases, elite immortals on the Mount Rushmore of pro wrestling. In 1997, these guys were on the path to greatness, but most of them weren't there yet. Eventually, they could arguably replace some of the previous Mount Rushmore occupants...but not in 1997.

Historical impact-wise, the 8 vs. 8 may very well lead to a closer vote and one hell of an argument for both sides. But, at the time of the Rumble, 1992's final 8 trumps 1997's.

That is what makes 1997 special to me. It is easy to book established greats to be there at the end but it was complete happenstance that those sort of legends wound up closing out the rumble in 1997.

That is what makes 1997 special to me. It is easy to book established greats to be there at the end but it was complete happenstance that those sort of legends wound up closing out the rumble in 1997.

That's fair! It does make it interesting that they all went on to extraordinary careers. I will admit that 1997's roster wasn't as bad as I thought...but it wasn't really great. The final group was out of necessity. The 1992 group was stacked! There were some Repo Mans and Berzerkers, but overall they had many stars and, consequently, many ways to go with the final 8. 1997 definitely picked the right group...but almost had to.

But, I definitely see your point. I would love to see these 8 vs. 8 in a year-long, round-robin of feuds in some sort of fantasy/"in their heyday" dream card.

94 was also pretty stacked in terms of future legends during the match, although the final 7 wasn't quite as strong it still had Shawn, Lex and Bret in there... in terms of the match itself though Diesel and Bam Bam Bigelow and Shawn were headlining Mania 15 months later. Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett became main eventers and you still had Randy Savage, Rick Martel, Bob Backlund and Lex in there who had been World Champs prior...

Booking of the last 8 in that one was weaker cos they had Booger not show up and had to accommdate the "shock" of Bret and Luger co-winning, so they needed weaker talents nearer the end.

The funny thing about that is that he didn't even do it right. He went through the ropes (not over) to the apron and went to the top turnbuckle to attack the other Mexican star on the outside. He went back in and was ruled out even though he shouldn't have been because he never went over the top rope. Ahmed Johnson (aka Mr. Wedgie) also eliminated himself to go after Farooq.

I know yeah, his gesture after he eliminated himself was ridiculous as well. "Oh no, i would have definitely beaten everyone in this thing, ahh well it's nothing compared to me anyway". I remember Ahmed as well, what a flop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back