Round 2; 2 Golden eye v 66 Final Fantasy VIII

?

• Goldeneye

• FFVIII

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
256px-GoldenEye007box.jpg

v

Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg

My retribution is fucking swift.

In all seriousness, I never even thought that Final Fantasy VIII would have even gotten past Final Fantasy X and in my opinion it was an atrocity that it actually did. It makes no difference anyway because I cannot really see it getting past Goldeneye. It is just too good a game to contend with. One of the finest and most interesting FPS games ever to grace any console. Put that up against a game which is actually one of the poorer games of the Final Fantasy series and you have a walkover. I fully expect Goldeneye to go over in this one. It was just a much better game from start to finish and Final Fantasy VIII is not a game that I would ever play again to be wuite honest. Once was enough for me and that is a damn shame because all of the rest of them, I have completed at least twice. Goldeneye all the way here. See you in the next round Bond.

Vote: Goldeneye

Again my inner Final Fantasy fanboy is screaming at me to vote FFVIII. But honestly, Goldeneye was the first, and probably one of the only, shooter that actually got me hooked. The multiplayer made Goldeneye no doubt about it. My friends and I used to play it nonstop through the night, never wanting to change games and would create stupid situations just to get a kick out of the interesting ways to get kills without guns. Slap fights were a riot.

FFVIII was a solid RPG, and I was glad it went over X, but I just can't see it getting past Goldeneye, and honestly it shouldn't. Perhaps it was because it followed the greatest FF game in VII, and we held too high of a bar for it, but it's an RPG game that I would pass up to play me some Goldeneye again.

Ok here we go with the tie of the round. Goldeneye Vs Final Fantasy VIII. There is only 1 winner in my eyes and thats Final Fantasy VIII.

But Chris, Goldeneye made First Person shooters what they are today and put the N64 on the map how can you choose Final Fantasy?

Simples

Its the better game. oh and Mario 64 put the N64 on the map.

Final Fantasy VIII is the second best game in a franchise thats had 10 great games (not counting the atrocitys that was IX X-2 and XI) and it was only beaten to that no 1 spot by argueably the greatest game of all time, it has a compelling story and fantastic graphics, it also has exceptional replay value which is very rare for a 1 player game. Its entertaining and was the first game to adapt a new style of graphic on the Ps2, no long did characters look like boxes (ala FFVII) now they looked more detailed in gameplay and the FMV's just blew me away. From the opening bout FMV between Squall and Seifer I knew instantly that this was going to be a worthy sequal to VII.

This game spent alot of time dealing with character backgrounds which was something I didnt anticpate, I expected the game to focus on the Squall-Rinoa-Seifer Love Triangle and it did that and so much more. You got to find out about Zell's passion for Hotdogs that are always sold out you got to visit his mother and his bedroom, you found out about how Quistis failed at being an Instructor at Balamb Garden, basically just little details that made the game better.

Now Goldeneye was a fantastic game, and it did make FPS what they are today without this there would be no Halo or COD etc but like most N64 games the only real place this game excelled was M-U-L-T-I-P-L-A-Y-E-R. The campaign was good and the story was based from one of the better Bond films so that was fine, the levels were challenging at times but usually easy and it had limited replay value, you could play the campaign mode once or twice before you became bored of it. Like all good things this game matured over time and it gives you that sense of excitement that you had when you first played the game back in the 90's. But after that passes you are left with the reason you came to play it and that is the multiplayer mode.

The multiplayer mode on Goldeneye was amazing, I had countless joy karate chopping my way to victory much to the dismay of the kids on my street. It was the first game to give you this type of competetive gameing and it was fantastic, but once you were on your own you were left with a good game whereas Final Fantasy VIII is great.

I see the exact argument I was expecting for peple supporting FF here. FF VIII is the second best Final Fantasy game. Well, Goldeneye is the best of it's entire genre. That trumps second best in it's own franchise if you ask me. FFVIII didn't put RPG's on the map for consoles, but Goldeneye MADE the FPS on the console. Far more important of a game.

FFVIII is fun and all, but Goldeneye is on and completely other level. Gets my vote here.

Goldeneye is fucking sweet. Easily best shooter game of all time. It was the first of it's kind I ever played and till this day is still the best. There aren't many games that can top it, surely not a game that isn't even the best in it's series. Pretty easy choice here actually.

I think where X said that you got the best first person shooter ever against the second best FF game, you pretty much got your argument there. You'd rather vote a second best game that adds another RPG game to your list against the first and best FPS that put that genre on the map. Super Mario 64 may have put the N64 on the map, but Goldeneye made it sure it stayed on the map! Vote Goldeneye!

Goldeneye gets my vote. It's just endless days of slaving in front of the tv trying to haul ass to make sure natalya didn't die on the control level, which was fucking difficult for me. You got to admit that this game is the standar of FPS and multiplayer. This probably inspired Halo, and who knows what other FPS games out there. And it also put the N64 on the map.

standard arguments, right? yeah, they are. FFVII, while one of the best in its series, at the end of the day, passed to the list of RPG of it's time. Goldeneye had no list...it WAS the list and still is.

Goldeneye FTW!!

Well, Goldeneye is the best of it's entire genre. That trumps second best in it's own franchise if you ask me. .

How is it the best of its genre? It's good but Halo is a better overall game, COD is better FPS the only thing that its the best at is the multiplayer aspect of it. People only give it the love it gets because it was the first of its kind. So please if somebody could explain to me whats makes this better than other FPS's like Halo and COD it would be appreciated.

FFVIII didn't put RPG's on the map for consoles, but Goldeneye MADE the FPS on the console. Far more important of a game.

I agree FFVIII didn't put RPG's on the map but this tourny isnt about whats the more important game its about the better game and Final Fantasy VIII is leaps and bounds better than Goldeneye.

FFVIII is fun and all, but Goldeneye is on and completely other level. Gets my vote here.

Its not on another level and it shouldn't be your vote. However by the score at the moment it suggests alot more people are getting this game through because its the first ever FPS.

Just to be clear, I voted for Goldeneye here.

You got to admit that this game is the standar of FPS and multiplayer. This probably inspired Halo, and who knows what other FPS games out there. And it also put the N64 on the map.

It's a good job that we are voting for Halo then isn't it!? It may have inspired these games but that's not what makes a game what it is. I could say that Grand Theft Auto inspired The Sims and it would mean approximately fuck-all in this tournament. Goldeneye did indeed put the N64 on the map and so it should. It was a good game but I don't think you and I played the same game. I loved Goldeneye but whatever games it inspired means naff-all.

standard arguments, right? yeah, they are. FFVII, while one of the best in its series, at the end of the day, passed to the list of RPG of it's time. Goldeneye had no list...it WAS the list and still is.

Final Fantasy VIII was not a great game first of all. I would say, as I did in the last round, that it was one of the most boring games in the series. In fact, if I had to rank them in order. VIII would probably be down in the bottom half I would say. The point is though. Goldeneye was not the game that you are making it out to be. I think some people are getting carried away with some of the games. Final Fantasy VII and Goldeneye being the main offenders. Goldeneye was a great game but to say that it is the best RPG ever is just ignorant and silly in my opinion. There is a lot of RPG games that I would rather play before I played Goldeneye again.

Sorry Stev-O.

Shit, this is a hard one for me.
When Goldeneye was first released, I wasn't allowed o play it. I spent many an afternoon sneaking over to friend's houses to play.
However, Final Fantasy VIII was a fabulous game and the first FF I ever played.

In the end, I'm going with Goldeneye. Both great games, but one was a pioneer. It changed console FPS's by making them work. Before, FPS's were really restricted to PC gamers, but Goldeneye changed all that. Mario 64 sold the N64, but Goldeneye (and the four controller ports) kept people playing.

I'm very interested in seeing what happens when Goldeneye and Halo face off. If Halo wins, I riot.

If they do indeed face off, Halo should win.

I know it might not mean much here but It was a better game. Halo is without a doubt one of my favourite games ever and should defeat Goldeneye with ease. Halo was the reason that people bought the xbox in the first place and so it should be. Halo is a better game than Goldeneye. No doubt about it in my mind anyway. I look forward to fighting a losing battle in that one too.

Bottom line: Goldeneye should go over here because it was a better game. However, people should go play it again before they vote. The play Halo and tell me which one you thought was a better game.

How is it the best of its genre? It's good but Halo is a better overall game,

Says who? I'll take Goldeneye any day of the week. Goldeneye was the first FPS to ever utilize stealth and decision making, and not the "shoot everything you see" formula of previous FPS' like Doom or Quake. It had a great story, and the best console multiplayer of all time. How is Halo better?

COD is better FPS the only thing that its the best at is the multiplayer aspect of it.

Call of Duty?! :lmao:

Ridiculous. The Call of Duty series has ALWAYS been a joke (atleast until the 4th one). They're like Chinese food, fun for 20 minutes and than you're hungry again. Those games are among the easiest, most un-original FPS games ever made. Fun for about a week, and than no point to ever play it again. Goldeneye is far superior than Call of Duty, far.

People only give it the love it gets because it was the first of its kind. So please if somebody could explain to me whats makes this better than other FPS's like Halo and COD it would be appreciated.

I just did.

I agree FFVIII didn't put RPG's on the map but this tourny isnt about whats the more important game its about the better game and Final Fantasy VIII is leaps and bounds better than Goldeneye.

Legacy and importance in the gaming world plays a big factor in the decision making process here. And in that specific regard, Goldeneye trumps FFVIII. It's not the only reason though.

Its not on another level and it shouldn't be your vote. However by the score at the moment it suggests alot more people are getting this game through because its the first ever FPS.

...Huh? Goldeneye wasn't the first ever FPS. Wolfenstein 3D was.

Final Fantasy fan boys have been getting a bad rap lately. But I am here to prove that we are not some blind bunch of imbeciles voting on name base, that would be Zelda fans (oh I am just kidding linkheads). I voted for Pokemon over FF:T easily, but I love Pokemon. But here, 007: Golden Eye goes over here without wasting a clip of RPC 90 bullets. The great First Person Shoother, the mind blowing multiplayer, the big head mode. Everything is great about this game. Oh, and FF8 wasn't that good.

Says who? I'll take Goldeneye any day of the week. Goldeneye was the first FPS to ever utilize stealth and decision making, and not the "shoot everything you see" formula of previous FPS' like Doom or Quake. It had a great story, and the best console multiplayer of all time. How is Halo better?

Seriously X, What!? I honestly could not give a shit about who was the first to do something. What I care about is who did it the best. Goldeneye did do it well but stealth and decision making has been done so much better by loads of games. My main example is pretty much all of the Tom Clancy games. All of which make stealth a must and good decision making even more important. Goldeneye may have done it first but all I care about is who does it the best. Splinter Cell does it infinitely better.

Also, tell me how it was the best multiplayer game on a console. Seriously, I have no idea where you are coming from here. Call of Duty 4 has an infinitely better multiplayer section. Goldeneye is a great game and the multiplayer is a good aspect of it. Saying it is better that games like Call of Duty is ludicrous in my opinion.

Ridiculous. The Call of Duty series has ALWAYS been a joke (atleast until the 4th one). They're like Chinese food, fun for 20 minutes and than you're hungry again. Those games are among the easiest, most un-original FPS games ever made. Fun for about a week, and than no point to ever play it again. Goldeneye is far superior than Call of Duty, far.

What!? How is it superior. Graphics, gameplay, control, sound and multiplayer. Goldeneye was better in all those departments was it? If your answer to that is yes, then by all means vote for Goldeneye. In my very honest opinion, though, Goldeneye is living on it's legacy at the minute. Seriously. Just because it did something that no one has done before, doesn't make it better. It just makes it original.

Legacy and importance in the gaming world plays a big factor in the decision making process here. And in that specific regard, Goldeneye trumps FFVIII. It's not the only reason though.

Sorry X but I honestly don't think it does. When I vote, I vote for the game that I got more enjoyment out of. It's how I have always voted and it's how I always will. I honestly would vote for Final Fantasy X over Super Mario Brothers any day of the week because I enjoyed that specific game more. Impact and legacy mean nothing to me when I vote.

Sure Goldeneye goes over here. It should, it's better than Final Fantasy VIII. The only problem I have is that people are saying that it's legacy is something spectacular, when in reality, I don't think it means a great deal.

Says who? I'll take Goldeneye any day of the week. Goldeneye was the first FPS to ever utilize stealth and decision making, and not the "shoot everything you see" formula of previous FPS' like Doom or Quake. It had a great story, and the best console multiplayer of all time. How is Halo better?.

So your saying here that because it was the first to utilize stealth and decision making that made it the best of it's genre? Halo had a better story and the Multiplayer wasn't too shabby either in fact it was better why was it better? because instead of having just 4 people to play against you could have 12. Weapons were better, strategy and decision making had to be better to account for the more players being stealthy was much harder due to more people, it was the better game. so far you have yet to show me anything that suggests that GE was a better game than other FPS.

Call of Duty?! :lmao:

What was so unoriginal about this FPS? in FPS you have a gun and you shoot things COD did just that. Granted it's not the greatest game in the world but I do believe it has better gameplay than Goldeneye and the story was much better since it was based on true events. Like I said earlier GE was fun only for its multiplayer, the 1 player mode was good but not great and deffinatly not replayable after a couple of attempts, again you havent shown me anything to suggest that goldeneye is the far superior game other than ''Goldeneyes great''.

I just did.

You mean that comment about how it was the first to use stealth and decision making? Wow you showed me there. You should be the Brittish PM he's good at only giving out snippets of infomation when questioned.
(I say the PM bit in jest)

So by your logic http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcomputer_videogames.htm should be the greatest game ever as it made games what they are today and without it gaming wouldn't have exsisted. OK yes It was an important game for FPS but its not better than FF8.

...Huh? Goldeneye wasn't the first ever FPS. Wolfenstein 3D was.

I actually ment the first FPS of relevence but you make a fair point

I actually ment the first FPS of relevence but you make a fair point

Doom? What's that?

As for Halo having a better story...it was a letdown. You run around a donut. Yaaaaay.

Goldeneye came first, and did it better.
Halo came out and it was "DAMN! This is a great FPS!"
Goldeneye came out and i was "Holy SHIT! I didn't even think this was possible!"

Seriously X, What!? I honestly could not give a shit about who was the first to do something. What I care about is who did it the best. Goldeneye did do it well but stealth and decision making has been done so much better by loads of games. My main example is pretty much all of the Tom Clancy games. All of which make stealth a must and good decision making even more important. Goldeneye may have done it first but all I care about is who does it the best. Splinter Cell does it infinitely better.

Did you even read my post? I said quite clearly that influence/legacy was NOT the only factor taken into consideration. But influence CERTAINLY is one of the factors you must use. Without the influence factor, the original Mario Brothers wouldn't deserve to make it out of the first round based soley on gameplay.

Also, tell me how it was the best multiplayer game on a console. Seriously, I have no idea where you are coming from here. Call of Duty 4 has an infinitely better multiplayer section. Goldeneye is a great game and the multiplayer is a good aspect of it. Saying it is better that games like Call of Duty is ludicrous in my opinion.

When I said "console multiplayer" that discounts ALL online multiplayer. So Call of Duty 4 doesn't count. Try to argue it isn't the best CONSOLE multiplayer game ever made. As in, not online.

What!? How is it superior. Graphics, gameplay, control, sound and multiplayer. Goldeneye was better in all those departments was it? If your answer to that is yes, then by all means vote for Goldeneye. In my very honest opinion, though, Goldeneye is living on it's legacy at the minute. Seriously. Just because it did something that no one has done before, doesn't make it better. It just makes it original.

Graphics? Anyone who judges these contests based on graphics is a fucking moron. Gameplay? Yeah, Goldeneye is better. But guess what? This isn't Halo vs. Goldeneye, this is Goldeneye vs. FF VIII.

Sorry X but I honestly don't think it does. When I vote, I vote for the game that I got more enjoyment out of. It's how I have always voted and it's how I always will. I honestly would vote for Final Fantasy X over Super Mario Brothers any day of the week because I enjoyed that specific game more. Impact and legacy mean nothing to me when I vote.

Thats fine and dandy for you, the rest of us most certainly will be taking influence into account. Anyone who pretends they don't is being foolish and idiotic. Otherwise, what the FUCK are ANY games made before like 1996 doing in this tournament in the first place? I think we can all agree that Madden has better gameplay than Super Mario Brothers, does that make it a better all around game? Fuck no.

Sure Goldeneye goes over here. It should, it's better than Final Fantasy VIII. The only problem I have is that people are saying that it's legacy is something spectacular, when in reality, I don't think it means a great deal.

Right, you keep telling yourself that. Goldeneye is the reason Halo even exists, it's the reason that console FPS games became popular, and remain THE most popular genre of gaming to this day. Doom and Quake didn't do that, Goldeneye did.

So your saying here that because it was the first to utilize stealth and decision making that made it the best of it's genre?

Where did I say that? Oh wait, I didn't. I said it was influential and set the bar for future FPS, specifically int he use of stealth and decision making.

But yes actually, Goldeneye IS the best FPS of all time. But it's for a combination of reasons, not just because of new gameplay features not previously seen before.

Halo had a better story

No, it really didn't. The Halo storyline has been done a thousand times before; people versus aliens. That's one of the biggest cliches in movie and gaming history. It's a good Sci-Fi story, sure, but it doesn't compare to Goldeneye's plot. Goldeneye's plot is straight from one of the most popular Bond movies ever made. You REALLY want to argue Halo had a better story?

But, like I said to Dave, this IS NOT about Halo vs. Goldeneye. It's Goldeneye vs FF VIII.

and the Multiplayer wasn't too shabby either in fact it was better why was it better? because instead of having just 4 people to play against you could have 12. Weapons were better, strategy and decision making had to be better to account for the more players being stealthy was much harder due to more people, it was the better game. so far you have yet to show me anything that suggests that GE was a better game than other FPS.

Except Newsflash: I DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO. THIS ISN'T GOLDENEYE VS. HALO, IT'S GOLDENEYE VS. FF VIII

And yes actually, I've given you several reasons for why Goldeneye is the best FPS of all time, not my fault if you've completely ignored them.

What was so unoriginal about this FPS? in FPS you have a gun and you shoot things COD did just that. Granted it's not the greatest game in the world but I do believe it has better gameplay than Goldeneye and the story was much better since it was based on true events.

That's absurd. Sorry, but I can no longer take anything you say seriously if you really think the NONEXISTANT plot of the Call of Duty games (outside of 4) is better than Goldeneye. Ridiculous, the majority of the COD games don't even have a fucking plot!

Final Fantasy VIII. Remember that game? The one you're supposed to be arguing for but have yet to even bring up? Not seeing ANY reasons for why it's a better game. Not one.

Like I said earlier GE was fun only for its multiplayer, the 1 player mode was good but not great and deffinatly not replayable after a couple of attempts, again you havent shown me anything to suggest that goldeneye is the far superior game other than ''Goldeneyes great''.

You should try reading all of my posts than and not just cherrypicking them, because I've already given several reasons for why Goldeneye is the better game. But go ahead and continue to ignore them, like you've been doing.

And the fact that you don't think the single player campaign was very good or had good replay value is laughable, and indicative of how little you apparently actually know about Goldeneye. Goldeneye has one of the best single player campaigns in the history of FPS. No replay value? Are you joking me? There were not one, but TWO different difficulty levels to unlock after completing the game, the second of which, "007 Mode" allowed you to tweak every little aspect of the level you played and it's difficulty. You could play the same level 100 different ways. No replay value? Ridiculous.

You mean that comment about how it was the first to use stealth and decision making? Wow you showed me there. You should be the Brittish PM he's good at only giving out snippets of infomation when questioned.
(I say the PM bit in jest)

You're not very good with the reading skills are you? I've given about a dozen reasons for why Goldeneye is an amazing game in this post alone. I've yet to see ONE reason from you as to how FFVIII is better than Goldeneye. Not one.

So by your logic http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcomputer_videogames.htm should be the greatest game ever as it made games what they are today and without it gaming wouldn't have exsisted. OK yes It was an important game for FPS but its not better than FF8.

Absolutely hilarious. Did you even READ the quote you just posted and responded to?! I said IN THAT QUOTE ITSELF "This is NOT the only reason for why Goldeneye is a better game". It's RIGHT THERE and you still ignored it. Wow.

Whenever you feel like actually explaining how FFVIII is better than Goldeneye, and not just twisting my words around to attack me, I'll be here waiting.

Goldeneye.

Missions were great, the game was long and had an enjoyable storyline. I remember playing multiplayer with friends spending the night and we would play that game for hours. Plus Slappers Only, you can't beat that! lol.

Golden eye in a landslide. My god i spent so much time playing this game with my friends it was un real back in 8th grade or so and I loved it. Awesome game play. Awesome game.

What else needs to be said? Vote golden eye.

Well this blows. Im not saying Final Fantasy fan boys arent nice people, but when you have an insatiable greed to push more than 2 games all the way to the finals to face off against each other, that says something. We can all bask in the unearthly glow of Final Fantasy VII, I have no problem with that. but when trying to push FFVIII over Goldeneye, I mean thats cheaper than playing as Oddjob.

The fact whether Goldeneye started the FPS genre or it innovated it is irrelevant. Enjoy the game for what it is. Final Fantasy VIII is just as much part of the turn based RPG crowd as Goldeneye is of the FPS crowd. It doesnt matter if it was the first game that did it or the last, if it was a good game that should speak for itself. Which Goldeneye does in spades.

The multiplayer argument, which clearly trumps most other games in the tournament, should not have even been brought up yet, saved for a harder battle down the line. But its true, the multiplayer is addictive. But thats another story down the line.

Besides the clear fun of unlockables such as paintball mode and big head mode etc, the missions were exciting for their time. The laser watch on the train was just great. But it seems that Goldeneye is more than the sum of its parts. Sure, in single player gaming, Final Fantasy may take it. But Goldeneye is so much more then that. Its more than just a movie game (and in my opinion, probably one of the few good movie games ever made).

I ask you Thunderball, you said "I only vote for the games I get enjoyment out of". So thats what I'm doing. I too don't think legacy has anything to do with it. Otherwise as you say, early 8 bit games should rock the vote here. But they dont. So I ask you from this perspective. If Final Fantasy VIII didnt have those first 2 words in the title, would you still be as inclined to rave about it. No doubt its a great game, but looking at it on its own, maybe the mystique of the series is clouding your judgement. Goldeneye has no series to to fall back on, no reliable background, yet it still excels. I might refer to lesser Final Fantasy games as a bit like ECW, where the mystique of it greatly increases the product.

Vote Goldeneye, because it was better. And no one wants to see an all Final Fantasy Final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back