Round 1; 63 Final fantasy X v 66 Final Fantasy VIII

?

• FFX

• FFVIII

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
images

v

images

VIII and it's as clear as day. I really didn't enjoy 10 at all, there was no freedom to roam, a boring story where the main enemy is a whale (WTF) and if that wasn't enough, there was that stupid grid system. Don't forget it was part 1 of X-2, the most abysmal FF game ever.
On the other side, the first disk of 8 is greatness and nearly on a par with 7. Was slightly ruined past that by ditching Edea, who was awesome and replacing with the shit Ultemecia but still, you had duel stories, the freedom to roam, junctioning and the card game.

Well it's the first franchise head off, and sorry Dave but FFVIII takes this for me. I have a theory that the first 3D FF you play is the one you love the most, with this one I agree, it had everything that I like in a game :)

FFVIII takes the cake for me. It's an unappreciated, excellent title that is probably the last great FF game since. The story is top rate, the characters are solid, the battle system is good, it's an all around solid outing that gets tossed aside too frequently because it came in the wake of the hype machine that is FF7. I thought the story was pretty well told with some twists that I, honestly, wasn't expecting, and while the main character was pretty much the same old "brooding loner", some of the support cast was pretty good. FFX isn't a bad game, but it's not as good as FF8. The story is blander, and replaces the brooding loner archtype with the happy go lucky archetype, which is much much worse. Plus, blitzball? No. The chicks are hot, but one dimensional, except for Yuna (the summoner, I think her name was Yuna? Been awhile) who had some depth at least. I think the supporting villains were good but the main villain was something of a disappointment, and

if you didn't see Titus's dad coming back as a villain, you weren't paying attention.

So, 8 has got X skinned, really. Better story, better character, better gameplay (overworld is an improvement, more direct leveling system), makes a better game.

I highly enjoyed X, but VIII will always be superior in my eyes. I think it gets a bad rap for whatever reason, I never could figure out why. I have spent many happy hours with VIII, and I enjoy everything about it more. X is fantastic, but VIII is just a bit moreso.

I went with FFX. Yeah, I don't give a shit if that doesn't make me as cool of a FF nerd as you guys, but I've played both, and I enjoyed FFX immensely more.

FFVIII was a major letdown for me. I guess you can't really blame the game for it though, it's hard to live up to one of if not the greatest game of all time that was Part 7. I was never a fan of Part 8's battle system though, probably because I was still relatively young at the time.

FFX though is just perfect. The story in the game is one of the most captivating in the entire franchise (yeah the whole dad thing was predictable, but so what? We're judging video games, not Best Picture nominations) and one that I really connected to. I had completely lost interest in Final Fantasy after part 9, and X just blew my mind away. The cutscenes are still absolutely amazing to watch and even rival next generation systems like the PS3 and 360.

Plus, for the first time ever we had actual voice actors; and they were good! I loved everything about X, from the battle system to the characters to the sphere grid to the absolutely EPIC boss battles. All around it's a perfect game from start to finish, and it earns my vote here. Bad luck getting matched up against one of it's own predecessors though.

I'm a bit wary about judging games using cut scenes (I'm aware that wasn't the only thing you took into account) - any peice of crap game can just add a nice cinematic cutscene, but that doesn't make the actual game better - it's even worse than judging by graphics as you aren't even controlling the game during the cutscenes.

VIII for me and easy. I enjoyed every aspect of that game more. Graphics, gameplay, sound, everything. I wouldn't be bothered if X won, but I'm rooting for VII as I think it is a much better game.

I Love Final Fantasy X, bu VIII takes my vote.

X was fantastic, it was the first FF on a next gen console so as you can imagine the graphics were amazing, gameplay was solid and it had a fantastic story to it. I also liked how you could get your HP and Damage up to 99,999 and battle off against the dark Aeons. Blitzball was another fantastic thing about this game, build a team sign your players and win games against other teams, I also like how you had to learn the language of the Al Bhed revealing the odd letters everytime you found a primer. This game is truely one of the best games I have ever played.

However.

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite game ever, I loved every bit of it from the opening fight between Squall and Sefier to fighting the Ultimate and Omega weapons to killing Ultimecia. My favorite part on the game is the battle between the two Gardens everytime I play it I get caught up in the excitement even though I know exactly what to expect, it just has me entertained throughout. Theres no annoying bits like the daft half hour conversation between Cloud and Tifa on FFVII. I love the whole junction system as well, junctioning powerful magic to strength and HP may be a good idea but you gradually get weaker as you use the magic which is a fantastic idea.

Overall its a shame both games drew each other in the first round, there is deffinatly not a loser here as both games are among the best ever.

I have to go with VIII here, but it was damn close. I enjoyed the hell out of X, but VIII was a game I loved playing, and it was a game I wanted to finish. X was fine, I loved the graphics and everything that went with it. That said, the storyline was so damn simple that a 10 year old could have seen through it. Meanwhile, well the Gunblade was freaking awesome in VIII, and I used to have a replica Lionheart necklace I loved the game so much.

VIII had a better battle system, more complex, but I will give props to X for the system they used for leveling up. Honestly I would love to see something like this in a future Final Fantasy game. Maybe in the remake of VII or VIII.

I went with FFX. Yeah, I don't give a shit if that doesn't make me as cool of a FF nerd as you guys, but I've played both, and I enjoyed FFX immensely more.

FFVIII was a major letdown for me. I guess you can't really blame the game for it though, it's hard to live up to one of if not the greatest game of all time that was Part 7. I was never a fan of Part 8's battle system though, probably because I was still relatively young at the time.

FFX though is just perfect. The story in the game is one of the most captivating in the entire franchise (yeah the whole dad thing was predictable, but so what? We're judging video games, not Best Picture nominations) and one that I really connected to. I had completely lost interest in Final Fantasy after part 9, and X just blew my mind away. The cutscenes are still absolutely amazing to watch and even rival next generation systems like the PS3 and 360.

Plus, for the first time ever we had actual voice actors; and they were good! I loved everything about X, from the battle system to the characters to the sphere grid to the absolutely EPIC boss battles. All around it's a perfect game from start to finish, and it earns my vote here. Bad luck getting matched up against one of it's own predecessors though.

What Xfear said.

Final Fantasy VIII is lame. You have to draw magic from your enemies? What the fuck? The monsters level with you?!?! It gets to the point where if you level your characters the game is impossible to beat. The designers of the game said so themselves. I dunno about you guys, but leveling is half the point of Final Fantasy games. If you can't level your characters and make them as powerful as you can, what's the point?

Final Fantasy X, however, was awesome. Great story. Sin was not a whale. He was a massive sea serpent that fucked people's shit up, thank you very much. The characters were awesome, with Auron being my favorite. His cutscene is problem my favorite cutscene of all time in any Final Fantasy game. It's all spoiltastic though, so Ima just rep Xfear with it and you guys can see it there. If I can find it, that is.

The leveling system? Fantastic! For one thing, the game doesn't get impossible if you level to high. And another thing, you could customize your characters however you wanted. You want Tidus to cast magic? Fuck yeah. You want Auron to be a really big Riku? Why the fuck not.

Vote for the game that actually lets you level your characters. Vote Final Fantasy X.

EDIT: FUCK. I can't rep Xfear. Instead of spreading rep to noobs in the WWE sections, I'm going to spoiler tag it here. Don't watch if you don't want to completely ruin the game for ya.

[youtube]0YSf43SH17k[/youtube]

Final Fantasy VIII is lame. You have to draw magic from your enemies? What the fuck? The monsters level with you?!?! It gets to the point where if you level your characters the game is impossible to beat. The designers of the game said so themselves. I dunno about you guys, but leveling is half the point of Final Fantasy games. If you can't level your characters and make them as powerful as you can, what's the point?

The game is not impossible to beat, I had all my characters at level 100 before even going on the 4th disk of the game. The enemies do level up with you making it much harder when fighting bosses such as the Omega weapon, which instantly starts with level 5 death. Then fighting Ultimecia is slightly harder but not impossible.

The game is not impossible to beat, I had all my characters at level 100 before even going on the 4th disk of the game. The enemies do level up with you making it much harder when fighting bosses such as the Omega weapon, which instantly starts with level 5 death. Then fighting Ultimecia is slightly harder but not impossible.

I overexaggerated, apologies. It just gets mega hard. Which defeats the purpose of leveling. You level so that you can actually fight bosses in a more one on one fight, not "I want this battle to fucking be hard as hell. Let's level to 100. Why the fuck not."

Other than that overexaggeration on my part, which I account to being in the heat of the moment, my points still stand. Final Fantasy X is all around a cleaner game. A better game. A game that is what Final Fantasy should shoot for. Not Final Fantasy X-2 though. My god.

Final Fantasy 10 was a fucking atrocity, and one that the franchise has still yet to recover from.

If you asked me to summarise FFX in a single word then I'd call you a dick and insist you stop stifling my creativity, and then after a brief debate during which I talked you into letting me have three times me original word allocation, I'd present the phrase "style over substance".

Let’s get the obvious out of the way first; FFX looks... or rather looked, amazing. It was leagues ahead of IX, and made full use of the new generation of console. Alas however, this graphical upgrade came at a price. Ever since FFVI the franchise has been famed for providing huge, epic and seemingly open game worlds. The franchise has always been linier in nature, but the games have always been built well enough that they don't feel linier. FFX takes that away. Every Single Map is reduced to a linier corridor, with possible a couple of short dead ends leading to treasure chests. The feeling of openness that dominated the previous titles was stripped away, and replaced with a game that felt more like one of those Japanese interactive novels (sans the women getting their tits out) that an epic RPG. The maps all looked fantastic, but with the exception of those short temple sequences they rarely contain anything interesting. A chest or NPC might be scattered here or there, but for anyone who's experienced the wide open, side quest littered world of FFVI&VII the game came as a tremendous disappointment.

The battle system was another glowering weakness in the games design. The mataria, magic and character strengths included in previous titles lent a level of strategy to encounters. Final Fantasy has always been an extremely easy RPG to play, but there was enough complexity there to satisfy those who wanted something beyond "tap circle to win".

FFX takes this away. By giving each character one (and precisely one) function in battle, and allowing you to change character at will without any kind of detriment, battles are melted down into bland and repetitive affairs which are further hurt by your party’s pathological need to gob off at every opportunity. Some semblance of depth is added by the inclusion of the fucking sphere grid, but since that system steals the award of most asinine levelling system ever created, I'm hardly going to award points for that.
Your character will develop the same, and serve the same purpose regardless of how you take them round the grid, and since everybody will cover the entire sordid thing by the end of the game, it only serves as a way to waste time between random battles.

Points are not awarded for the story. FFX is hardly unique in this regard, good stories in gaming being of equivalent rarity to raw diamonds in milkshake. Nevertheless, in comparison to the depth provided in a couple of previous titles, FFX should have been batter. The inclusion of voice actors, improved cut scenes and boosted disk capacity should have allowed for more effective storytelling than in any previous title... and not some watered down journey through RPG cliché with a mild Freudian complex tacked on for the discerning customer. Disappointing in other words.
Further condemnation comes from me on a personal basis, on account of how utterly unlikable I found most of the cast. Tidus I found to be the most unlikable hero in FF history, and the majority of the rest I found to be shallow and one dimensional. Lulu was about the only individual in the game that I got any level of enjoyment out of, her only negative factor being her tendency to be found in close proximity to Wakka and his fucking misplaced and utterly unexplained accent.

Personally I thought that VIII was mediocre at best, but it wins my vote on account of not being FFX.

Well wasn't that fun.

VIII and it's as clear as day. I really didn't enjoy 10 at all, there was no freedom to roam,

Who cares about freedom to roam? I certainly don't. Especially in agame that isn't built or made to be like that. Final Fantasy games, whilst having a certain amount of free roam capabilities are primarily to tell a story and this is especially prevalent in Final Fantasy X. Final Fantasy X had the best and most expansive storylines in the history of the series. I personally don't need any freedom when it basically had a game inside a game. Did anyone play the Blitzball game in Final Fantasy? It was basically a game inside a game. It did have some freedom I would say and the storyline was intriguing as hell.

a boring story where the main enemy is a whale (WTF) and if that wasn't enough, there was that stupid grid system. Don't forget it was part 1 of X-2, the most abysmal FF game ever.

The main enemy was not a whale. That is just idiotic. It was a fucking huge monster that had basically wiped out world after world. I have never met a whale that can do that yet. "Sin" was one of the best enemies in the series. I would say he is only surpassed by Sephiroth in FF7. Sin was a great character but let's not forget that he was not the only enemy in this game. You were basically fighting against organised religion and theories that had gripped the whole world. I honestly did not mind the grid system, it shrivels in comparison to the licenses in FF12 as eing shit. And as for being part of X-2, let's not forget that it is just FFX that we are judging here. Please don't vote against X because of X-2/

On the other side, the first disk of 8 is greatness and nearly on a par with 7. Was slightly ruined past that by ditching Edea, who was awesome and replacing with the shit Ultemecia but still, you had duel stories, the freedom to roam, junctioning and the card game.

I'm not disagreeing with you that FF8 was a great game but FFX was an absolute gem of a game. A game that would have kept me going for days and did so. It is so expansive and just intriguing to say the least. Final Fantasy X was probably the best game of the series in my opinion or isied with 7. I honestly thought that FFX was better than 8. I love the FF series and I have completed every one at least twice. If you have not played the game, then I urge you to do so. It will capture your heart and your imagination. A great game all over and it will be a travesty if it goes out to a game that, I think, is not even in the same league as it. 8 was one of the weakest for me.

Be still my heart... this is the most excruciating battle that I believe I will see throughout this tournament. Two games going head to head in my favorite gaming series of all time… I hope I make it through this. As a matter of fact, just reading everyone's posts makes me want to go back and play both of these masterpieces again. But then I think a little harder and I say to myself, do I REALLY want to spend the next 6 months trying to go through that utterly agonizing storyline, excruciating and LONG FMV's, horrible magic system, side-scrolling-type gameplay, enormously boring, meaningless and long sidequests, impossibility in retrieving ultimate weapons, and the whiniest hero in the history of RPG gaming?? If you haven't guessed it by now, I'm talking about Final Fantasy X.

Obviously, I'm voting for my absolute favorite game of all time in Final Fantasy VIII. But, in order for me to justify my decision, convince all of you to agree with me, and still save face for a game created in the greatest gaming series ever created, I'm going to list my personal pros and cons about each game and then allow you to make the comparison.

PROS

Final Fantasy X

- First of all, how could you not commend the graphics on this game. I mean seriously… WOW. Its FMV’s (full-motion videos), backdrops, summon sequences and regular gameplay graphics are simply superior to anything that was out in stores at the time, and superior to many games that are out today on more advanced gaming systems.

- Its storyline was very in-depth, deep, romantic, extensive, and detailed.

- Being able to use summons as characters during battles was revolutionary. Finally, we’re able to CONTROL Bahamut, as well as all of the exciting and new summons that were created.. A winning idea.

- Auron. Need I say more?? He kicks ass. He’s totally badass. Everyone wants to be him… PERIOD.

- The gameplay, although complicated, gave so many different options as to what you are able to do with the characters.

- The introduction of Blitzball, a game inside of a game. It was addictive, fun, intelligent, and challenging.

- The power of the game’s villain… Sin. You honestly believed that it was damn near impossible to beat this enemy, which is the feeling you’re supposed to have when facing the ultimate villain of a video game. And no matter what level your characters were on, it WAS difficult to beat Sin. I mean, you went through hours and hours of gaming to get to the end… why should it be spoiled by players being able to squash the enemy??

- It takes a long time to beat. Players are totally satisfied when it’s all over.

- The ending is a total shocker. Without spoiling it, take my word for it. I never saw it coming. Many of you probably did, so good for you. But when I got there, I was very taken back.

Final Fantasy VIII

- Besides Cloud, Squall is the biggest and most legitimate badass of a lead character that the FF series has ever produced. When you play as Squall, you feel like a tough guy and you want to use him at every turn to strike the final blow at an enemy. Furthermore, after the cut scene at the very beginning of the game and seeing the origination of the scar on his face, you want to fuck up Seifer’s world.

- It was a MAJOR advancement from FFVII. Yes, FFVII was an incredible game, but its play control sucked, graphics were bubbly and horrific, and the story just got annoying after a while. When FFVIII was released, it corrected all of VII’s mistakes.

- The gunblade was absolutely ingenious, in my opinion. It took a classic hero’s weapon, the sword, added a little crack-cocaine and a trigger, and created an INTERACTIVE weapon. You had to push the R1 button at a specific striking time in order to fully utilize the maximum damage that the gunblade would cause on an enemy. In turn, this allowed a player to not watch television while holding down the attack button in a fight. They stayed interested in every battle that occurred. Not to mention that when the gunblade was used properly during limit breaks, they became 10 times more powerful and allowed the limits to reach their damage capacity.

- Even the summon spells were interactive! You were able to make them more powerful by button-pressing at specific times during the summon video. Once again, it took a previous idea that would lose a player’s attention span and allowed them to become interested in it again.

- Its map was wide open, and the game utilized the map and was the first to introduce hidden areas by use of the different airships that you were able to obtain during the game.

- The card game was genius. Anyone could play it, it made you actually use your brain while playing, and it was an intricate part of the advancement in the game.

- Improved limit breaks just make this game golden. Each character was able to obtain multiple and unique limits that were better and more powerful than the previous one. And Squall’s is the ass-kicking of a lifetime.

- This was the first FF game to exceed 9999 damage on an enemy. It’s about fucking time!!! At the end of the day, 9999 just doesn’t seem like enough damage, especially when the major enemies of the game maxed out at half a million hit points!!

I can honestly keep going, but I’ll stop here.

CONS

Final Fantasy X

I already mentioned most of these before, but I’ll go in a little bit more depth with them now.

- All the graphics in the world can’t take away the boredom of sitting through the UN-skippable FMV, storyline, and vocal cut-scenes. I want to jump off a bridge just thinking about them.

- The sphere grid is the biggest piece of garbage to ever be devised in gaming. It’s confusing, tedious, and a HORRIFIC way to learn spells.

- The game is a glorified side scroller!!! Final Fantasy has always been incredible because of its seemingly endless maps. To limit game players to a “one-way street” is insulting, in my opinion.

- The sidequests are so overdone that I can’t even begin to explain. Blitzball was fun, but as tedious and annoying as breeding Chocobos in FFVII. And that was just ONE sidequest. Dodging lightning bolts for two hours is not my idea of a challenge, but more of a complete annoyance.

- Every ultimate weapon took FOREVER to retrieve. And some were IMPOSSIBLE. I’ve gone through this game at least 5 times, and I still can’t get all of the weapons… it’s just too challenging. And not only is it challenging, but there are TWO challenging things you need to do to get each weapon… obtain a crest AND a sigil. Come on… WTF?!?

- Congratulations to everyone that has played FFX. You have all been introduced and graced with the presence of the bitchiest, whiniest, and most pathetic crybaby in the history of Final Fantasy heroes in Tidus. Face it, he’s a total PUSSY. How is anyone supposed to believe that this guy can save the world from the power of Sin when he’s crying and wailing in every cut scene in the game, while being stuck in a ridiculous love triangle?!? Pathetic… just pathetic.

Final Fantasy VIII

- Although the gunblade and interactive use of it is interesting, it definitely wears out its welcome after a while. You almost become sick of the fact that you HAVE TO use it to utilize its strength to the fullest.

- The villain of the game is the ultimate letdown. For half of the game, you think that you are completely motivated by revenge. But then, you find out that Seifer is just a pawn and the whipping boy of an enemy that isn’t even introduced until Disc 3 of the game, Ultamecia?!? What a disappointment.

Honestly, besides those two cons, I can’t think of ONE other thing wrong with Final Fantasy VIII. Guys, do the right thing.

VOTE FINAL FANTASY VIII

Final Fantasy 10 was a fucking atrocity, and one that the franchise has still yet to recover from.

Are you serious!? Final Fantasy X was and is the best selling Final Fantasy game on the PS2 and has sold over 5 million copies worldwide. It is the 8th best selling game on the console. So, tell me. How exactly is the company still trying to get over this massive flop?

If you asked me to summarise FFX in a single word then I'd call you a dick and insist you stop stifling my creativity, and then after a brief debate during which I talked you into letting me have three times me original word allocation, I'd present the phrase "style over substance".

Style over substance? Seriously!? Final Fantasy X was not only one of the best looking games on the PS2, it was probably the most in depth game that the PS2 ever produced. The games was very in-depth and I must have played it for about 450 hours. At least! The only game that I have played that has came close to it is COD4 and even at that, it is a long way off. Final Fantasy X had both.

Let’s get the obvious out of the way first; FFX looks... or rather looked, amazing. It was leagues ahead of IX, and made full use of the new generation of console.

Agreed.

Alas however, this graphical upgrade came at a price. Ever since FFVI the franchise has been famed for providing huge, epic and seemingly open game worlds. The franchise has always been linier in nature, but the games have always been built well enough that they don't feel linier. FFX takes that away. Every Single Map is reduced to a linier corridor, with possible a couple of short dead ends leading to treasure chests. The feeling of openness that dominated the previous titles was stripped away, and replaced with a game that felt more like one of those Japanese interactive novels (sans the women getting their tits out) that an epic RPG.

Hey man that's your opinion and I respect that but I think it is completely wrong. There was so much to do and it is almost impossible to finish completely. I think the problem is, Square knew that this game was going to be big and as such made the game more appealing to younger gamers. It was n't without challenge though. I remember being in one of the temples trying to get a summon and I swear to God, it took me almost 3 hours to do it. I'm not bad at the game, it is just a hell of a challenge. I don't think it was as linear as you say either. I played and completed Final Fantasy 8 and in all honesty, Final Fantasy X was mych more expansive in terms of gameplay than 8 ever was. I know 8 was over 4 discs so it felt like there was more to it but there wasn't. Final Fantasy X had so much more to it and could keep you entertained just playing the Blitzball league. I remember I spent a full fucking weekend playing that Blitzball league. Anyway, Final Fantasy X is far from linear and there is so much to do in it, I never, ever finished it completely.

The maps all looked fantastic, but with the exception of those short temple sequences they rarely contain anything interesting. A chest or NPC might be scattered here or there, but for anyone who's experienced the wide open, side quest littered world of FFVI&VII the game came as a tremendous disappointment.

Yeah but remember what games we are comparing here. I feel that this is going to be a growing trend you know. Sorry Gel but you have fallen right into it. Remember that we are pitting FFX up against FF8 and as such, everything FF7 should stay out of the way. No one is doubting that FF7 was a fantastic game but FF8 should not be given credit because it came after it. Nor should FFX be marked down because it doesn't meet the standard set in FF7. I would also like to remind you that there was probably so much more to FFX that you care to let on. I honestly did not know that you could find and kill dark aeons until like my third time playing it. The Blitzball league is a huge quest in itself and there is much, much more to the game.

The battle system was another glowering weakness in the games design. The mataria, magic and character strengths included in previous titles lent a level of strategy to encounters. Final Fantasy has always been an extremely easy RPG to play, but there was enough complexity there to satisfy those who wanted something beyond "tap circle to win".

FFX takes this away. By giving each character one (and precisely one) function in battle, and allowing you to change character at will without any kind of detriment, battles are melted down into bland and repetitive affairs which are further hurt by your party’s pathological need to gob off at every opportunity. Some semblance of depth is added by the inclusion of the fucking sphere grid, but since that system steals the award of most asinine levelling system ever created, I'm hardly going to award points for that.
Your character will develop the same, and serve the same purpose regardless of how you take them round the grid, and since everybody will cover the entire sordid thing by the end of the game, it only serves as a way to waste time between random battles.

Uh, no. I never once got round the full grid. Well, at least not the expert grid. Bearing in mind that there is 2 types of grid, the beginner grid and the expert grid, I think makes this much more of a strategy than you care to let on. Going for the beginner grid will make the game easier for you. Learning techniques, spells and attack quicker will make the game a lot easier to get to grips with. The expert grid however, was much more expansive and spaced out the HP, MP, magic nodes well. This meant that it felt like more of an accomplishment when you actually got your character to a good level of skill. I must also note that I hated the materia thing. Honestly it was the only thing I didn't like about FF7. It was boring and the fact that you could have only a certain amount of techniques equiped at any one time pissed me off no end. How could you suddenly know something and then not know it the next minute. The fact you could only have a set amount of materia at any time was stupid. Once you know something, you know it. End of story.

Personally, I find that the character development in Final Fantasy X was much better than 8. The characters were amazing and it could have been set around any of them. As it is, I found that the story of how Tidus came to be in this situation absolutely flawless. I could not believe some of the revelations in this game and it kept me on tender-hooks the full way through. Tidus may not be very well voiced but is one of the more interesting characters in the Final Fantasy series. Squall was my least favourite. I hated that guy no end and I only finished the game because it was a Final Fnatasy game. Character wise, 8 doesn't hold a candle to X.

Points are not awarded for the story. FFX is hardly unique in this regard, good stories in gaming being of equivalent rarity to raw diamonds in milkshake. Nevertheless, in comparison to the depth provided in a couple of previous titles, FFX should have been batter. The inclusion of voice actors, improved cut scenes and boosted disk capacity should have allowed for more effective storytelling than in any previous title... and not some watered down journey through RPG cliché with a mild Freudian complex tacked on for the discerning customer. Disappointing in other words.

I have to buy a dictionary. Anyway, If you are getting on at FFX story then I must ask if you have ever plated the game? Honestly, till this day, it is the best story based game I have ever played. Seriously.

Further condemnation comes from me on a personal basis, on account of how utterly unlikable I found most of the cast. Tidus I found to be the most unlikable hero in FF history, and the majority of the rest I found to be shallow and one dimensional. Lulu was about the only individual in the game that I got any level of enjoyment out of, her only negative factor being her tendency to be found in close proximity to Wakka and his fucking misplaced and utterly unexplained accent.

I'm not going to argue this point because it is your opinion. As I stated before though, I found the character development to be a great addition to FFX and I thought the charcters were very liable. One man's garbage though, is another man's pot-pourri

Personally I thought that VIII was mediocre at best, but it wins my vote on account of not being FFX.

What a ridiculous statement.

Well wasn't that fun.

Sure was.

I voted for X by accident btw, but don't worry about it unless it's a tie. Definetly match of the tournament so far ,excellent arguments by both sides, I'm not a massive FF fan btw.

The only reason that this is match of the tournament is because people love both of the games. Believe me, further on into this tournament, it will be like this all the time. I just hope that FFX will be there to see it. I know that this is entirely democratic but for me, there is no reason for 8 to go over X here. Come on guys.

My sig will do the rest...

Oh and this video:

[youtube]zqJYXoC1OQc[/youtube]

Wow, nice FMV. Shame people place such emphasis on them - we might as well have entered Final Fantasy Advent Children into the competition and had it win on that basis!

First of all, i loved both the games, and was extremely disappointed with the steaming pile of shit that x-2 ended up being, but both of these games have there pluses and minuses, many of which have already been brought up by the rest of you, but one negative of the FF8 that many people seem to have forgot, or just mentioned in passing is the giant pain in the arse known as, The Junction System. I mean i found the whole sphere grid thing annoying but at least the spheres weren't that hard to find.

Does everyone else remember the countless hours spent farming spells in an attempt to get enough for the purpose of junctioning? It was one of the most excruciating things ever, and I've done farming in WoW, and that sucks hairy nutsack.

In the end i'll prob refrain from voting, as i would be happy for either to win, but in the end of the day, its sad that one of the better Final Fantasy games will be gone regardless of the winner

Who cares about freedom to roam?

I'd rather have the option to do other stuff, especially when the story is boring as hell.

Final Fantasy X had the best and most expansive storylines in the history of the series.

*Cough*Bullshit*Cough*
I can't believe you have the nerve to say that. Have you even played the other games? X is the most linear FF game ever made, behind even X-2. You follow the path that's set out for you and can't get away from it.
As for claiming it had the best story, that's even more ludicrous. Putting aside that Tidus is a whiny bitch with father issues, surrounded by the least interesting gang in FF history and that the main enemy is impressive as a boss but horrifically boring as a character, FFX's story isn't worthy of licking VII's boots.
Ignoring X-2, I would say that X is quite easily the worst FF game ever made.

Are you serious!? Final Fantasy X was and is the best selling Final Fantasy game on the PS2 and has sold over 5 million copies worldwide. It is the 8th best selling game on the console. So, tell me. How exactly is the company still trying to get over this massive flop?

It is a fact much mourned (mourned by me at least) that around this wrestling forum what I like to refer to as "The Slyfox Effect" has outgrown the wrestling sections, and now invades every inch of the forum. To paraphrase, people persistently equate commercial success with quality. Anybody who's ever seen Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull or Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone has more than enough evidence to know that quality does not necessarily correlate with success.

Those movies I listed are among the most successful films of all time, yet I'm sure if we took time to poll people on them, they'd quite happily tell us that they all sucked complete ass. The reason that they were so phenomenally successful, much as was the case with FF10, was because they are part of extremely franchises, and anything produced with shift a certain number immaterial of the quality of aforementioned product.

You present the lovely misleading statistic that FFX was "the best selling Final Fantasy game on the PS2", whilst utterly failing to mention that it sold several million copies less that both seven and eight, despite having a considerably longer window of availability. Since FFX (actually since FFIX, which had its own share of problems) sales figures have never recovered, and the level of interest in the franchise has dipped to an all time low.

That being said, using commercial success as an indication of quality is a ridicules thing to do. If you want to gauge quality, look at the numbers of people still playing FFVII and VIII to this day, and compare them to those for FFX. Compare legacy, and see which games frequently crop up in international lists of the greatest titles of all time.

Style over substance? Seriously!? Final Fantasy X was not only one of the best looking games on the PS2, it was probably the most in depth game that the PS2 ever produced. The games was very in-depth and I must have played it for about 450 hours. At least! The only game that I have played that has came close to it is COD4 and even at that, it is a long way off. Final Fantasy X had both.

Here's a piece of free advice. When countering a claim, simply making an opposing claim doesn't really work. I'll grant that "no it isn't" has a certain ring to it, but it doesn't really lead to discussion.

Now the fact of the matter is that FFX is not possessing of much in the way of depth. As I mentioned before, the game is unquestionably the linier corridor fest ever to grace the franchise. When take the grand metanarratives of VII and VIII, and compare them to the cliché fast of X (which involves a young man being pulled into a strange world which he then has to save, a story that ranks behind only the farm boy with dead parents and the man with plot convenient amnesia as the most unoriginal story of all time).

You say that there's a lot to do, but in truth there isn't. There are a handful of little minigames, as there always are in the franchise, but since the player is robbed of the ability to explore or backtrack for 90% of the game, what the player is actually left with is the ability to follow corridors. Corridor, cut scene, boss fight, cut scene, corridor, repeat. It's a simple, and terrible, formula for producing an RPG.

Hey man that's your opinion and I respect that but I think it is completely wrong. There was so much to do and it is almost impossible to finish completely. I think the problem is, Square knew that this game was going to be big and as such made the game more appealing to younger gamers. It was n't without challenge though. I remember being in one of the temples trying to get a summon and I swear to God, it took me almost 3 hours to do it. I'm not bad at the game, it is just a hell of a challenge. I don't think it was as linear as you say either. I played and completed Final Fantasy 8 and in all honesty, Final Fantasy X was mych more expansive in terms of gameplay than 8 ever was. I know 8 was over 4 discs so it felt like there was more to it but there wasn't. Final Fantasy X had so much more to it and could keep you entertained just playing the Blitzball league. I remember I spent a full fucking weekend playing that Blitzball league. Anyway, Final Fantasy X is far from linear and there is so much to do in it, I never, ever finished it completely.

Those temples, or as memory serves, two of those temples, were about the only parts of the game I really enjoyed. It was a throwback to the puzzles of Golden Sun, and I'd have liked to have seen more made of them. Possibly my towering intellect was getting in the way, but I don't really remember spending more than perhaps 15 minutes in any one.

Size wise, Final Fantasy X can be completed in ten hours if you don't have much interest in what the characters have to say. VIII will take a speed runner slightly less time, but you'll be forced to miss out on so much more game. In VIII you had the ability to explore every corner of the world map, and backtrack to damn near every location in the game to collect new treasure later. It had a much richer collection of side quests, that stretched beyond the seldom entertaining blitz ball minicamp (although let us not forget that FFVIII's card game had more depth, more skill, and more point to it).

Yeah but remember what games we are comparing here. I feel that this is going to be a growing trend you know. Sorry Gel but you have fallen right into it. Remember that we are pitting FFX up against FF8 and as such, everything FF7 should stay out of the way. No one is doubting that FF7 was a fantastic game but FF8 should not be given credit because it came after it. Nor should FFX be marked down because it doesn't meet the standard set in FF7. I would also like to remind you that there was probably so much more to FFX that you care to let on. I honestly did not know that you could find and kill dark aeons until like my third time playing it. The Blitzball league is a huge quest in itself and there is much, much more to the game.

I compare to VII simply because I happen to be playing VII at this moment in time (thank you Playstation network), and am better equipped to talk about it. Plot aside, VIII was easily equal to VII in almost every way, whilst X comes in considerably lower in every department other than sound and graphics.

Uh, no. I never once got round the full grid. Well, at least not the expert grid. Bearing in mind that there is 2 types of grid, the beginner grid and the expert grid, I think makes this much more of a strategy than you care to let on. Going for the beginner grid will make the game easier for you. Learning techniques, spells and attack quicker will make the game a lot easier to get to grips with. The expert grid however, was much more expansive and spaced out the HP, MP, magic nodes well. This meant that it felt like more of an accomplishment when you actually got your character to a good level of skill. I must also note that I hated the materia thing. Honestly it was the only thing I didn't like about FF7. It was boring and the fact that you could have only a certain amount of techniques equiped at any one time pissed me off no end. How could you suddenly know something and then not know it the next minute. The fact you could only have a set amount of materia at any time was stupid. Once you know something, you know it. End of story.

The thing you're clearly missing here is that the magic systems in VII and VIII made sense. Efforts were made within the story its self to actually explain why characters were able to use said abilities. Perhaps you weren’t paying attention, but the properties of materia are quite heavily explored throughout VII.

The fact that you could only have a certain amount of techniques at any one time let to what we in the RPG community refer to as "strategy", you know, that thing I spent some time explaining how FFX is utterly without. You might prefer playing switch/attack for the entire game, but FFVII, VIII and even IX provided so much more depth and logic (sans 9) to their battle systems.

I have to buy a dictionary. Anyway, if you are getting on at FFX story then I must ask if you have ever plated the game? Honestly, till this day, it is the best story based game I have ever played. Seriously.

Then you're in the minority. I'm bored now. X was cliché and predictable. VIII was mediocre, but original. The later trumps the former any day of the week.

Ignoring X-2, I would say that X is quite easily the worst FF game ever made.

Lies!!!! I believe that would be FFIX, X-2 was shit because it was a half assed attempt at a sequel, where as FF IX really just sucked in general, and brought forth to the world Kuja, who has been voted one of the worst villians of all times

Have to give the nod to Final Fantasy 8, even though I am a big fan of 10 as well. I think 8 had more to live up to, being the direct game to follow 7 was no easy task. The love story with Squall and Rinoa, the School, the missions, and Ultimicia were all bad ass. Ultimicea (I don't know how to spell the damn thing) was a damn fine villain and something I enjoyed. I loved teh back story with Laguna as well.

Final Fantasy 10 had a far easier scenario to prove itself, being the follow up to the atrocity that was 9, and being the first in the seiries released on the PS2, and yet still failed to deliver the knock out blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back