Round 2; 104 Final fantasy 6 v 40 Mario Kart Wii

?

• FFVI

• Mario Kart Wii

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Final_Fantasy_VI_Japanese_box.png

v

Mario_Kart_Wii.jpg

Mario Kart on the Wii was so fucking fun. I've only played it 2-3 times, I was sore for about a week afterwards each time. Mario Kart takes it here, Final Fantasy 6, wasn't as good as its prodecors anyways.

Instinct was to go with Mario Kart but then I thought about it. Mario Kart on the Wii actually annoyed the hell out of me because of the ridiculous random factor. So many times heading FTW, only to get shot down on the last corner and end up 12th. And don't get me started on fucking Rainbow Road.
Final Fantasy VI is great and should win here.

My vote goes to Final Fantasy VI here. Fuck Mario Kart Wii, it's the exact same game as it's predecessors. MK 64 blows it out of the water, and deserves your vote much more than the Wii version.

FF6...not one of the best in the series. Very good, but by Final Fantasy standards "very good" just isn't good enough. It still gets my vote easily here though.

My vote goes to Final Fantasy VI here. Fuck Mario Kart Wii, it's the exact same game as it's predecessors. MK 64 blows it out of the water, and deserves your vote much more than the Wii version.

First off I don't see how the N64 version blows the wii version out of the water if they're the exact same game.

The wii version is vastly superior to the N64 version. For starters the wii version actually has a 1st player mode that's entertaining for more than an hour. The multiplayer has the same appeal, probably more considering that the most significant tracks from the N64 version are already included. Add on the customization of vehicles and an updated weapons system just makes the wii version that much better.

Also, I see many people hating wii based games simply because they can't stand the remote. If the remote is that big of an issue, just use a gamecube controller. Dismissing a game simply due to a controller issue is petty, especially with a system compatible with many controller options.

As for the match up, I'm voting Mario Kart Wii, I've never been big on RPG's and the only Final Fantasy that I've really played was Final Fantasy 9.

Mario Kart Wii gets my vote

Mario Kart on the Wii is actually quite fun. You can't really compare it to MK64 considering it's on a much different platform and is a completely different game. Like other games remade on the Wii MK is different from the original with a few improvements. It is an extremely fun game whether you are playing it by yourself or with others. I'm definetly voting it over FF 6 here.

Mario Kart is a great game, but gets to be the same thing over and over and over again.

Final Fantasy, however, changed with every new release. There are more sidequests and more of a game to enjoy than Mario Kart.

I guess the best way to decide here is do you want to go with a game that any moron could play, or a game that actually makes you use some sort of intelligence? I choose to be intelligent, so I'm voting for Final Fantasy.

D-Man, honestly. This is why I said that this board is filled with video game snobs, video game smarks. You're discussing video games. Why would you be concerned with "intelligence"? I sit down and play Grand Theft Auto so that I can barricade a parking garage and snipe people's heads off without opposition. Sure, it's not the most sophisticated thing to do, or anything that takes a great deal of intelligence, but it's certainly fun. I dare anyone to tell me that scoping someone out, pressing the fire button and watching their head explode into a fountain of blood isn't fun. No! It is. Mario Kart is fun. Be it on the N64, GameCube, DS, or Wii, I've always been entertained. It's kept it's same basic idea, but has built around it. The tracks are more complex, with better design and obstacles. The weapons system is better than in previous games. It also gives you the option of using a wheel, making the driving feel more realistic. Overall, the game is more fun than Final Fantasy. It received my vote.

Edit: Just in case D-Man thought I was targeting him specifically with my opening statement, I wasn't. I was attacking the use of "intelligence" as a factor for the better game. I mean, come on. It's a video game. It's something you sit down in the dark and in your underwear to play for hours while eating cheetos.

Reactions: gd
Opinions vary... obviously. I was trying to give a different point of view in my opinion on these games other than the normal "Dis game is funnerrr den dat game." (And for the record, I LOVE to back myself into a corner in GTA, punch in weapons codes, and kill everything in sight for hours and hours... hell, who doesn't?!?)

You don't have to explain to me that the #1 reason why people play video games is to have fun. Hell, I'm not a moron (even though some may argue that).

If we're going by our individual opinions and being honest here, then I have a ton of fun playing Mario Kart. Yes, the tracks are better and the weapons system is advanced in the Wii version of the game, as compared to the SNes version. Hell, I would hope so. Usually, game sequels should be better than their predecessors. And for players that love racing games, this would definitely eat up many hours of their lives.

So, since we can actually agree that the purpose of video games is to have fun and both of these games are fun in their own right, where do we go from here? Unless we look deeper into these video games besides their "fun factor", we'll be at a stalemate. Why, you ask? Because there are many people out there that find role playing games to be more fun than racing games, and vice versa. So what is your "fun factor argument" proving? Not a whole lot here. Personally, I enjoy role playing games a lot more than racing games. But I won't allow my decision to be based on that, alone.

Even though Mario is a LEGENDARY franchise, the Mario Kart games will never hold a candle to the Super Mario series of games that almost monopolized the gaming industry at one point in time. And the thing that made those games so addictive and popular is the advancement in it's complicated levels, it's graphics, it's difficulty, and it's fun throughout the game's entirety. Mario Kart does possess some of these factors. Its tracks become more difficult throughout the game, but I don't see much more than that. To me, you're still racing against the same opponents and using the same weapons.

On the other hand, Final Fantasy made leaps and bounds over its predecessors. Its difficulty, brain-teasing storylines, graphical enhancements, connection with its characters, and newer features from its earlier games are what made it a legendary series. This particular FF game introduced an addictive storyline similar to a big screen movie, a multitude of new characters, a difficult and time consuming magic-learning system, an advanced "Summon" system (i.e. an inter-game magic spellcasting system that TRULY made the FF series rise above all other role playing games), and an introduction into side-quests and alternate game-endings. Not to mention these endings were superior over the objective of just 'catching a checkered flag for the 20th time'.

To sum this up for everyone reading, deciding on your favorite game in this series has to start with what type of games someone enjoys. Then, you have to figure out how much fun you have while playing the game, which depends on the type of game you like playing in the first place. After that, the decision is in the eyes of the beholder.

If you only look at a video game by how much fun it is, all arguments will become stalemate, eventually. The only way to make a true and justified decision between better videos games is to look beyond all of that. Previously, I chose to use intelligence as one of my factors. Gee... shame on me, right? But this time around, I believe I've given more concrete arguments that would even satisfy 48.7, wouldn't you agree?

Bottom line: Final Fantasy 6 is better, period. So vote for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back