Round 1; 39 Shenmue v 90 Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty

?

• Shenmue

• Dune II

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
images

v

images

Shenmue: "He shall appear from a far Eastern land across the sea. A young man who has yet to know his potential. This potential is a power that can either destroy him, or realize his will. His courage shall determine his fate. The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity, I await whilst praying. For this destiny predetermined since ancient times... A pitch, black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light. And thus the saga, begins..."

This prologue kicks off Yu Suzuki's cinematic Dreamcast tour-de-force, an exploration-heavy adventure that has players immerse themselves in Yokosuka, Japan. Players slip into the role of a young martial artist named Ryo Hazuki, who is on the trail of his father's killer. On the way, players must talk with hundreds of characters, engage in martial arts battles, and marvel at the realistic depiction of the Japanese coastal town.

Shenmue is quite far one of the most amazing games ever made. Yu Suzuki is a genious for making it. It is unlike no other RPG out there. Its like your living as Ryo Hazuki. The characters seem so real its not even funny, the magic weather system is amazing looking, And the fights are awesome aswell.

I'd love to see this game go very far in this tournie.

Reactions: X
God DAMN this is a tough one Lee. A friend of mine was lucky enough to have a Dreamcast (such an underrated system) and we would sit in class biting our nails all day until the bell would ring and we could all retreat to his house to sack out and play either Unreal Tournament or Shenmue. Very good balance when you think about it, once we grew tired of shooting each other to a bloody pulp, we took turns progressing through Shenmue. We couldn't believe just how detailed the game was. Years before GTA: San Andreas, Shenmue was already incorporating realistic elements like varying weather, interactive "stores" you could enter, mini-games, etc. The game was flat out amazing to play and really spoiled me on a lot of games forever. Every time a new game would come out being hailed for it's new innovative realistic elements, I'd sigh and say to myself "Well is it like Shenmue?".

Dune II is fantastic as well. I didn't start playing this game until a few years back, when I became interested in the Dune saga, but man am I glad I did. I mean, can you say "influential"? Without it, the real-time strategy genre would not be where it is today. I'm a huge fan of the RTS genre, so of course I adore Dune II. Add in the great story, and addictive gameplay, and it's a classic through and through.

In the end...I have to go with Shenmue, but man is it close. Shenmue though just took gaming to a whole other level and doesn't get the credit it deserves. I suggest anyone who has the chance, to play it immediately. This was definately the hardest vote for me to cast thus far though.

I've never played either of these games. Huh. Perhaps I should.

I've always liked more of the RPG feel. And from what I gather, that's what Shenmue was.

I also like the RTS games, as Dune II was. But still. I like RPGs more.

I'm going with Shenmue, simply because of the posts already made. You've convinced me guys, two shouts for you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back