Roman Reigns Vs Big Show is almost a compelling feud.

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
'Big Show Vs Reigns' on RAW sucked pretty badly. I heard boos and chants of 'boring' and 'Roman sucks' could be heard during other matches. Admittedly, it wasn't the best crowd, but I certainly thought it was boring.

However, on a story level, I actually really kind of enjoy this. Roman attacking Show at TLC was arguably an attack on Rollins and Show was merely collateral damage, but the giant pursued Reigns and that lead to the feud. Many felt that Show not going down from the superman punch and Reigns wining using...questionable...methods took away from his credibility. I disagree.

If anything, I think this is adding a new depth to Reigns that was lacking during his previous run. The Big Show is talent enhancement, but he's the only one of his kind who really matters. Kane loses so much that defeating him won't elevate you at all and Mark Henry seems to get squashed a lot (he wins more than Kane, but doesn't last as long). The Big Show defeated Rowan, showing that he's still up there in terms of (kayfabe) abilities. By now going down from the Superman Punch, it sets up what should be a very competitive match. After all, has anyone withstood Reigns like that? Remember that every feud Reigns has been has mostly been one-sided. Whenever Orton, Kane or Rollins got the best of him, it was usually cheating.

When Reigns failed to defeat Show using conventional methods, it took this even farther. Reigns, the man who decimated everyone in his path, could not pin the Big Show. This is how booking is supposed to work, although usually the situation is reversed. Generally it's the villain who gets the hero counted out, but Ryback, Ziggler and the Shield have blurred the lines between face and heel tactics, so I wasn't bothered by this. It was hard to be invested in 'Orton Vs Reigns' because Reigns kicked the crap out of Orton 90% of the time and ended up winning. That is a meaningless victory. By showing Big Show as a threat, when Reigns does win, it will mean something. Yet those who had previously complained about Reigns mowing through the roster too easily are now complaining that he is being more vulnerable.

So on a story level, I thought this was well done (so far), probably being more well thought out than any of the other storylines. It's just too bad that Show and Reigns don't appear to have in-ring chemistry as that match sucked pretty bad. It made 'Show Vs Rowan' look like a masterpiece. People blame Show, but so far Show has had more good '1 on 1' matches in the past year than Reigns has had. I don't blame Reigns either though. Their styles just don't seem to mesh very well. Their banter has been pretty good so far though...well, if we ignore those awful Christmas puns.

Am I the only who feels this way? If you disagree, please state your reasons without resorting to the cliched 'Show needs to go away, he sucks'.

It's a dreadful feud so far that doesn't make any sense. The only sense is makes is Big Show is a huge guy so once Reigns beats him it makes Reigns look kind of strong heading into WrestleMania. This feud is stupid so far. Big Show just comes out and starts ranting how Roman Reigns is a pretty boy so he wants to kick his ass. I have no clue why they started feuding and there match was beyond awful. It's still early though we will see where this goes I actually like Big Show but he can't carry Reigns. You need to put Reigns in there with Cesaro, Ziggler, Rollins that's the only way we're going to see a quality Roman Reigns match.

I know where you are coming from. The problem for me in WWE has been John Cena eats first. All the importance is placed on him for the most part. Which is why CM Punk/Cena can usually be a five star match, but Punk can't do it with anyone else. Part-timers like Lesnar, Taker, HHH, Rock get their due and are near Cena level or the closest too it, but Cena is a completely different entity. He's the all year round go to guy.

I despise Reigns because he's just going to follow the same blue print and I think many may agree he's even worse. All the focus put on him in NXT and WWE, working with Rollins/Ambrose, and he's still shaky on mic and green in ring. For me, that's good. I don't want him to be Cena 2.0, I don't care if he's fired tomorrow.

The reason you think the story is done well is because unlike Cesaro, CM Punk, and other who deserved it, Reigns is actually written/pushed to look strong, but what is holding him back is that he sucks. That's why you have "Cena Sucks chants" and that's why Reigns will be booed. It's the same formular and it's nothing new, new face with same name.

I'm not finding this feud compelling at all. Don't even know why they're having this feud, other than the Reigns run in at TLC. Which was really nothing. I would have thought that Cena, Ziggler, Ryback or Rowan would be feuding with Show because he turned on them at SS. Reigns had nothing to do with that.

Other than the fact that neither of them seems to have anything to do that this point in time, it's going to do nothing for each of them. Reigns has already shown that he can take on anyone, Henry, Rusev, Rollins and Orton, so this seems like a step down for him.

If he's going tor the belt against Lesnar at Mania, it would be more reasonable for him to feud for Cena for the number one contender title. At least that way the WWE wouldn't be making the Rumble so obvious. I'm afraid Reigns has to get a good feud and reason for him to be believable as the champ come Wrestlemania, and feuding with Fandango and Big Show, just aren't enough.

come on guys. We all know its a filler fued to make reigns look stronger. A fued with big show never be a good fued. In my point of view wwe take a wrong decision by unify the whc belt. WWE always use one belt to fan favorite wrestlers. But now fans forced to accept one champion of wwe choice. We see that at last year wm. Fans wants bryan to became a wwe champion. Wwe wants batista as wwe champion. If they have 2 titles then they easily solve the problem.Now fan route ambrose as a champion. It heavily affect reigns push. Once fans demand ambrose push, they heavily booed reigns. If they have two titles they easily give ziggler, ambrose, ceasaro and others as a wwe champion. Meanwhile they execute their own plan. WWE bring back the whc title and retire us title. Its best for buisness.

I have had high hopes for Reigns ever since his return. I'm glad in a way that they've stuck him with the Big Show because it hasn't taken the focus off the other top stars. Let's face it, the build around this feud could have been booked better. Instead of Reigns coming out the following RAW from TLC to stop Fandango from gaining some sort of momentum, since his returned as "new and improved". He could have been booked to either interrupt Show while his trying to figure out why he was attacked or have him keeping attacking Show outta no where and eventually revealing his motives.Try get the fans interested in some sort of way and leave them in suspense. Although these days the fans don't really get into as they used to.

All that aside, I believe that WWE should really consider having some credible back up plans in case Reigns doesn't improve dramatically overall over the next month leading to the Rumble. If they really see Reigns as the next cash cow, then a little patience and time with him wouldn't harm in making him successful.

lol, for everyone who thinks 'this feud makes no sense', allow me to explain.

Before Reigns was taken out due to his hernia, he was feuding with Seth Rollins. They were supposed to have a PPV match, but Reigns had to suddenly have surgery and Rollins had him counted out. He interfered in the Rollins/Cena match in order to spite Rollins and Big Show just happened to be in the way. The only thing that doesn't make sense is Show being the one to save Rollins, but he did and paid the price. Now Show wants revenge. Reigns is only fighting Show for that reason.

How does this not make sense?

lol, for everyone who thinks 'this feud makes no sense', allow me to explain.

Before Reigns was taken out due to his hernia, he was feuding with Seth Rollins. They were supposed to have a PPV match, but Reigns had to suddenly have surgery and Rollins had him counted out. He interfered in the Rollins/Cena match in order to spite Rollins and Big Show just happened to be in the way. The only thing that doesn't make sense is Show being the one to save Rollins, but he did and paid the price. Now Show wants revenge. Reigns is only fighting Show for that reason.

How does this not make sense?

Not really and it's a stupid reason for the future new face of the WWE to get back into it. He should still be going after Rollins in that case. Cena and Reigns are still allied and if Cena needs help then Reigns should be helping him out, not feuding with Big Show. Which I will reiterate will do nothing for either one of them.

But if Big Show and Rollins are allies, how is this any different from when Ambrose was feuding with Rollins and Reigns was feuding with Orton?

Let me ask you this, how would you book Reigns? Do you think he should have a feud with Rollins? The problem is that Roman Reigns must win if he is to look good by wrestlemania and Rollins also can't afford another loss if he is to be a believable champion when he cashes in the MitB contract. Bray can't afford a loss. I'm for Reigns conquering Rusev (sorta, their matches together sucked), but there isn't a lot of time to make that meaningful before wrestlemania. There's really no other good heels...we already got enough of 'Reigns Vs Kane'.

The Big Show has always been the final stepping stone before moving on to the top. He was it for Orton prior to the unification feud and he was it for Lesnar prior to the conquering of the streak. Admittedly I'm not sure whether Ryback is a step up or down for Rusev.

But if Big Show and Rollins are allies, how is this any different from when Ambrose was feuding with Rollins and Reigns was feuding with Orton?

Let me ask you this, how would you book Reigns? Do you think he should have a feud with Rollins? The problem is that Roman Reigns must win if he is to look good by wrestlemania and Rollins also can't afford another loss if he is to be a believable champion when he cashes in the MitB contract. Bray can't afford a loss. I'm for Reigns conquering Rusev (sorta, their matches together sucked), but there isn't a lot of time to make that meaningful before wrestlemania. There's really no other good heels...we already got enough of 'Reigns Vs Kane'.

The Big Show has always been the final stepping stone before moving on to the top. He was it for Orton prior to the unification feud and he was it for Lesnar prior to the conquering of the streak. Admittedly I'm not sure whether Ryback is a step up or down for Rusev.

I would book Reigns against Rollins and have him lose. There is no better way to generate fan interest in Reigns and get them behind him, if Rollins is using every cheat trick he can in the book to win, it would elevate Rollins to monster heel status. Look what happened to Ambrose when he continued to lose against him. Reigns needs a feud like that. It won't get him ready for Mania, but he's not ready to begin with. He needs the fan support firmly in his corner if the WWE wants to push him further

Big Show might have been that way in the past now he's just an annoyance.

I would book Reigns against Rollins and have him lose. There is no better way to generate fan interest in Reigns and get them behind him, if Rollins is using every cheat trick he can in the book to win, it would elevate Rollins to monster heel status. Look what happened to Ambrose when he continued to lose against him. Reigns needs a feud like that. It won't get him ready for Mania, but he's not ready to begin with. He needs the fan support firmly in his corner if the WWE wants to push him further

Big Show might have been that way in the past now he's just an annoyance.

Maybe it's just this forum, but it seems like most feel Rollins has been booked as a weakling and Ambrose has been booked like a loser. The only time losing has done anyone any good was Daniel Bryan and that was a special exception because it was obvious WWE was using him as talent enhancement (which fans did not want).

But I'd be alright with that if Reigns doesn't main event wrestlemania (2015). I'm still under the impression that he will win the Royal Rumble, so we'll see. Although I still like the idea of Reigns being overpowered by someone bigger, which would ideally force him to bring out some of the techniques that he allegedly has in order to overcome.

Maybe it's just this forum, but it seems like most feel Rollins has been booked as a weakling and Ambrose has been booked like a loser. The only time losing has done anyone any good was Daniel Bryan and that was a special exception because it was obvious WWE was using him as talent enhancement (which fans did not want).

Rollins has been booked as a chicken shit heel which is what most heels are. The only exception to the rule that I can see is Rusev, although he is turning into one by now ambushing people. I find that disappointing since he has beaten everyone since he debuted and doesn't need these tactics to win. but I digress.

Ambrose was booked as a loser, but not in the proper sense of the word. The way they booked him was brilliant. When the Shield were together he was sort of the odd man out, now the fans are in his corner, and he's easily the most over active wrestler on the roster today. Ziggler is a close second. When Ambrose does win either again Wyatt or Rollins down the road, the roof will blow off the building. That's the way they have to book Reigns. He's a powerhouse but right now he's looking too much like Cena. Hence the beginning of the end for him. No matter how you cut it, he's not John Cena.

I'm not finding this feud compelling at all. Don't even know why they're having this feud, other than the Reigns run in at TLC. Which was really nothing. I would have thought that Cena, Ziggler, Ryback or Rowan would be feuding with Show because he turned on them at SS. Reigns had nothing to do with that.

Other than the fact that neither of them seems to have anything to do that this point in time, it's going to do nothing for each of them. Reigns has already shown that he can take on anyone, Henry, Rusev, Rollins and Orton, so this seems like a step down for him.

If he's going tor the belt against Lesnar at Mania, it would be more reasonable for him to feud for Cena for the number one contender title. At least that way the WWE wouldn't be making the Rumble so obvious. I'm afraid Reigns has to get a good feud and reason for him to be believable as the champ come Wrestlemania, and feuding with Fandango and Big Show, just aren't enough.

Thing is; Reigns at TLC, also did a promo in which he officially entered himself into the Rumble match. Why can't the WWE have used that as a way to get someone to hunt Reigns and try to get him Out of the Rumble match?

As for Reigns vs Big Show,I get what MartialHorror is getting at, but I really feel that Reigns should have just squashed Big Show on the RAW post-TLC and sent him off of TV for a while, and then someone else could confront Reigns instead.
Problem is, there really isn't anyone else who is of note that isn't engaged in another feud save for Cesaro(who might actually have been a good mini-feud for Reigns,lMO, given Reigns has the record for Rumble Eliminations and Cesaro won the first ever AtGMBR at Mania last year.

Nothing Big Show does is compelling. The guy could literally retire today and I wouldn't even notice. He's face, he's heel, he's face, he's heel. Every year is just a carbon copy of the last for him.

This is the perfect feud for him though, because both Reigns and Big Show's promos are as exciting as watching paint dry.

Am I the only who feels this way? If you disagree, please state your reasons without resorting to the cliched 'Show needs to go away, he sucks'.

Show sucks, he needs to go away. ;)

Some people are down on Kane...I'm down on Big Show. Big Show is that guy who is constantly given a spotlight usually at a slow time of the year. He's thrust into big feuds, main events, and it's just generally annoying because

1) He's a slow moving plodder in the ring.
2) He's been on the roster longer than just about everyone else.
3) He's got about no chance of doing anything interesting or noteworthy.

What's Show gonna do? Turn heel unexpectedly? And that's different than the past 3 years how?

Act like a monster and knock people out? Again, how's that different from how he's been portrayed ever?

Maybe Reigns will superplex him and the ring will cave in? Because we've never seen that before.

There's just literally NOTHING new under the sun with Big Show. He's too big and too slow to do anything interesting in the ring anymore. The days where a big fat dude with acromegaly can keep an audience riveted are long, long gone.

So what, besides loyalty to his corporate masters, keeps Show in the limelight on a regular basis while other guys founder?

Show sucks, he needs to go away. ;)

Some people are down on Kane...I'm down on Big Show. Big Show is that guy who is constantly given a spotlight usually at a slow time of the year. He's thrust into big feuds, main events, and it's just generally annoying because

1) He's a slow moving plodder in the ring.
2) He's been on the roster longer than just about everyone else.
3) He's got about no chance of doing anything interesting or noteworthy.

What's Show gonna do? Turn heel unexpectedly? And that's different than the past 3 years how?

Act like a monster and knock people out? Again, how's that different from how he's been portrayed ever?

Maybe Reigns will superplex him and the ring will cave in? Because we've never seen that before.

There's just literally NOTHING new under the sun with Big Show. He's too big and too slow to do anything interesting in the ring anymore. The days where a big fat dude with acromegaly can keep an audience riveted are long, long gone.

So what, besides loyalty to his corporate masters, keeps Show in the limelight on a regular basis while other guys founder?

1) So is Ryback, Rowan and even Roman Reigns. Big Show might be a bit slower, but he does do more than all of those guys in the ring.

2) Fair point, I guess.

3) Subjective, but okay. Has Roman Reigns done anything particularly interesting or noteworthy since the shield split? If anything, the Big Show started doing the...sunset flip? I think that's what it's called. Has anyone his size done that in recent memory? (I'm actually asking that, as I haven't noticed). I've seen guys pick up Show and slam him, but I can't think of any instance off the top of my head where someone (Cesaro) picked him up and walked. Admittedly this could've happened during the years where I didn't follow wrestling. You tell me.

The Big Show, like him or not, still can do more than the majority of big men. I've heard Reigns has a more diverse moveset, but he's yet to really show it. Every match has been his 3 moves of doom. Big Show is also good with the mic and generally does not flub his lines. If he bores you, then he bores you, but anyone can bore anyone. Cena has been called such, while others believe he's the most charismatic person on the roster. So that is probably why Big Show gets more screen-time than the majority of the roster, who either have their own weakness or just don't stand out.

But obviously everything about this is subjective. I like the Big Show and you don't. I do agree other people probably should be getting pushed right now, but WWE has bungled so many pushes this year that there isn't a whole lot for them to do. Earlier this year, Big Show didn't have a very big role. He didn't even show up on a weekly basis, when there was more star power to work with. Now everyone has been booked in such a way that Reigns wouldn't benefit from toppling any of them.

Rollins has been booked as a chicken shit heel which is what most heels are. The only exception to the rule that I can see is Rusev, although he is turning into one by now ambushing people. I find that disappointing since he has beaten everyone since he debuted and doesn't need these tactics to win. but I digress.

Ambrose was booked as a loser, but not in the proper sense of the word. The way they booked him was brilliant. When the Shield were together he was sort of the odd man out, now the fans are in his corner, and he's easily the most over active wrestler on the roster today. Ziggler is a close second. When Ambrose does win either again Wyatt or Rollins down the road, the roof will blow off the building. That's the way they have to book Reigns. He's a powerhouse but right now he's looking too much like Cena. Hence the beginning of the end for him. No matter how you cut it, he's not John Cena.

We just don't seem to share the same philosophies on getting people over...or apparently audience reaction, as I think Ziggler is more over than Ambrose. I think Ambrose losing has dimmed the audience pops. Ric Flair was a chicken shit heel but even he came out on top when it matters. Orton was even worse, so bad that they made a story arc about it, but he still came out on top when it mattered. Either others win for Rollins, or he doesn't win at all.

1) So is Ryback, Rowan and even Roman Reigns. Big Show might be a bit slower, but he does do more than all of those guys in the ring.

2) Fair point, I guess.

3) Subjective, but okay. Has Roman Reigns done anything particularly interesting or noteworthy since the shield split? If anything, the Big Show started doing the...sunset flip? I think that's what it's called. Has anyone his size done that in recent memory? (I'm actually asking that, as I haven't noticed). I've seen guys pick up Show and slam him, but I can't think of any instance off the top of my head where someone (Cesaro) picked him up and walked. Admittedly this could've happened during the years where I didn't follow wrestling. You tell me.

The Big Show, like him or not, still can do more than the majority of big men. I've heard Reigns has a more diverse moveset, but he's yet to really show it. Every match has been his 3 moves of doom. Big Show is also good with the mic and generally does not flub his lines.

Show has been a WWE mainstay since about 1998...16 years worth of angles and pushes. I don't feel he warrants the storyline attention he receives. You bring up Reigns, Ryback and Rowan but I'm not defending them...this isn't a thread where I'm defending one over the other. 16 years of those guys in the same position and I'd sing the same tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back