Roderick Strong

jmt225

Global Moderator
You know, this guy has had a decently big name on the indies for quite some time now. I'd argue that his ROH Title matches against Bryan Danielson (Daniel Bryan) all the way back in 2005 was when he first really got over with independent wrestling fans and became respected for his work in the ring. His tag work with Jack Evans before then was well respected too, but it wasn't until those matches with Bryan where people really began to admire his work.

If you look at the roster from Ring of Honor in that time period though, nearly all those guys went on to achieve greater success, whether it be in WWE, TNA, Japan, or Mexico. Roderick Strong though, while getting many try-outs and opportunities with WWE and TNA, was never offered a full contract with either company. And he's never been a hot commodity internationally. So he's stayed on the American indies all this time and while he's remained a respected wrestler by the fans, he never truly became an "indy darling," as people like to say.

He was gifted an ROH Title run back in 2010 and held the thing for about six months, but who gave a shit? I sure as hell didn't. In fact, I think most people consider that time period to be the worst in ROH history. Strong was only given the belt out of his loyalty to the company; although is it really loyalty when no one is offering you anything to leave?

It sounds like I'm trashing the guy... I'm not. There was a period where I was a fan, and then there was a very long period where I got sick of him. Heel turns, babyface turns... it was all the same stuff. He was just there, and bland at every turn. Some cool moves in the ring didn't make up for how generic his character was.

I'm creating this thread now though to say that Roddy has finally, essentially out of nowhere, come into his own and is BETTER THAN EVER. It shocks me just how good he is right now.

When he first won the PWG Title, I was bummed because I thought it was only given to him out of loyalty, much like the ROH Title run in 2010, and also due to certain wrestlers not being able to compete in PWG anymore because of their contracts with ROH. But shockingly, his title reign has been fantastic thus far. He truly has been a great, great heel. His character in ROH still leaves a little to be desired, but if you watch PWG, I think you would be as amazed as me the strides Roddy has made in such a short period of time. And even in ROH, Roddy is delivering his best matches in YEARS with that company. I can't wait for his match with Nakamure next week, and I'm sure he's going to steal the show in the Triple Threat match tonight.

You can still take pop shots at Roddy, criticizing his promos and bitching about certain things in his offensive arsenal in the ring, but I just don't see how one can objectively look at this guy and not see the improvements he's made recently. I've known of this guy for well over 10 years now, and just now do I see a fantastic wrestler. It's truly mind-blowing to me. I could even make the argument that he's the wrestler of the year for 2015 thus far. Great matches everywhere you look, by far the best shape he's ever been in, becoming a very entertaining character (there's seriously no one who plays a douchebag better, lol).... I never thought I'd see the day.

My point is that you should never write a pro wrestler completely off. You never know when they will come into their own. Always keep an open mind with these guys. They can turn the corner at any minute and instantly become a favorite of yours, which Roderick Strong has certainly done for me.

[YOUTUBE]2eAGxiA4p2Q[/YOUTUBE]

This is the best I've ever seen Roddy. When he was ROH World Champion I hated him, but not as in like how say I dislike a heel, but the actual person because I thought they were garbage. He was incredibly boring, couldn't cut a promo to save his life and at that time even his look was of someone who was sucking in his gut all the time. Plus his heel run lasted way longer than it should have so when they eventually turned him face off the back of the House of Truth and then turned him heel again a few months later for The Decade, off the back of a face run where he was getting very over, I lost even more interest in him.

Right now he's a natural face and the moniker Mr. ROH is doing him a lot of good. I've seen people say he's almost like the gatekeeper of ROH where anybody that comes in has to face Roderick to prove themselves. Hes had so many great matches this year, vs. El Patron, vs. KUSHIDA, vs. Tanahashi, vs. Kyle O'Reilly and his match vs. Shinsuke Nakamura which is on ROH TV next week is said to be one of the best Roderick Strong matches in years!

I kind of feel bad for him in a way, because the pay off he SHOULD get from this run is another chance with the ROH World Championship, but when you got so many guys who also deserve a run with the title or who putting the title on could do more for ROH right now (Jay Lethal, AJ Styles, Adam Cole) and Roddy isn't signed to any sort of ROH contract, I think he's going to be wasted on simply being a great challenger to whoever the champion is but won't actually win it. He definitely deserves it and has this year been an MVP of sorts for ROH.

A great wrestler, of great use, but not really the type of draw somewhere like WWE is after. I predict that he takes the pin against either Michael Elgin or Moose in the #1 contenders match and that would probably be the right thing, but he could just as easily win and work a great match.
Guys ROH need to prioritize re-signing/contract extension because the E could easily be after them are: Jay Lethal of course, Kyle O'Reilly and probably the Briscoes. particularly those first two could be monumental successes given a worldwide audience. But in an era where ROH are under threat cos WWE want many of their top guys, I think they'll always be able to look over to Roderick Strong, and that helps ROH

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back