Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat

PSachkovsky

U mad bro?!
Welcome once again to my 'wrestler' threads, this time taking a closer look at Ricky Steamboat.

RickySteamboat008.jpg

Biography:

Ring names:
Dick Blood
The Dragon
Richard Blood
Sam Steamboat Jr.

D.O.B.:
February 28, 1953

Trained By:
Verne Gagne
Iron Sheik

Debut:
February 15, 1976

Retired:
September 1994

Championships and Accomplishments:

Maple Leaf Wrestling
NWA United States Heavyweight Champion - 1 time

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling/World Championship Wrestling
NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champion - 2 times
NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champion - 4 times
WCW World Television Champion - 4 times
WCW United States Champion - 4 times
NWA World Heavyweight Champion - 1 time
WCW World Tag Team Champion - 8 times

World Wrestling Federation/World Wrestling Entertainment
WWF Intercontinental Champion - 1 time
WWE Hall of Fame - 2009

Matches involving Ricky Steamboat:

[YOUTUBE]GBtNBC9J-AU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Z6M_S2vkDic[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ervSC8t6H_E[/YOUTUBE]

Questions for discussion:

1. What is your opinion of the gimmick he was portraying?

2. Do you think his match with Chris Jericho in 2009 was a great closure for Steamboat's career?

3. What is your opinion about his time in WWF?

4. What is your most memorable feud/match/segment involving Ricky Steamboat?

5. What do you think does Ricky Steamboat lacked back when he was still wrestling?

"The Dragon" of the early 80's was the perfect gimmick for a man with his skillset and appearance. He came across as wrestlings version of Bruce Lee, with high-flying moves, what passed for martial arts expertise and a wholesome philosophy. He was a character of his time and fit the cartoony world of WWE but he could never have worked as a heel and it is remarkable that he never tried. He knew what he was good at and stuck to it.

If he lacked anything it was that dedication that made him unbeatable as a top face. This was a guy who "took time off" when you wrestled 365 just to keep your job. While he was quite within his right and the NWA Title came later, it killed him in the WWF. His return in 1991 was a non starter, the costume was ridiculous, made him look like a joke. He was barely used and this was arguably down to his earlier "error". I was relieved when he went to WCW and settled into the Tag/TV title scene and it was a real shame when he had to retire.

His return was well handled, but as with many before hand like Hennig, Animal and even Rick Rude (who was ready to return when he died) it made you wonder whether they were out to collect their insurance... Arguably if Steamboat could have that level a match with Jericho in 2009, why could he have not had it 2-5-7 years earlier. HBK Vs Ricky Steamboat around 10 years ago would have been immense. He could have been the difference in the career of someone like Matt Hardy and just imagine the matches with Eddy and Benoit!

Of course the best moments were with Savage leading to Wrestlemania 3 and the match itself. But the other moment I remember most was his losing effort for the TV title to Scott Steiner. This was when WCW was only on tape delay on a Saturday lunchtime in the UK and I remember that being the moment where I thought "Scott Steiner will be huge".

Little did I realise that would be literally the case, but that match was one of Steamboat's last and it showed how great he was at putting people over. I actually feel a little aggrieved for him that Steiner disappeared so quickly to the WWF over money.

"The Dragon" of the early 80's was the perfect gimmick for a man with his skillset and appearance. He came across as wrestlings version of Bruce Lee, with high-flying moves, what passed for martial arts expertise and a wholesome philosophy. He was a character of his time and fit the cartoony world of WWE but he could never have worked as a heel and it is remarkable that he never tried. He knew what he was good at and stuck to it.

If he lacked anything it was that dedication that made him unbeatable as a top face. This was a guy who "took time off" when you wrestled 365 just to keep your job. While he was quite within his right and the NWA Title came later, it killed him in the WWF. His return in 1991 was a non starter, the costume was ridiculous, made him look like a joke. He was barely used and this was arguably down to his earlier "error". I was relieved when he went to WCW and settled into the Tag/TV title scene and it was a real shame when he had to retire.

His return was well handled, but as with many before hand like Hennig, Animal and even Rick Rude (who was ready to return when he died) it made you wonder whether they were out to collect their insurance... Arguably if Steamboat could have that level a match with Jericho in 2009, why could he have not had it 2-5-7 years earlier. HBK Vs Ricky Steamboat around 10 years ago would have been immense. He could have been the difference in the career of someone like Matt Hardy and just imagine the matches with Eddy and Benoit!

Of course the best moments were with Savage leading to Wrestlemania 3 and the match itself. But the other moment I remember most was his losing effort for the TV title to Scott Steiner. This was when WCW was only on tape delay on a Saturday lunchtime in the UK and I remember that being the moment where I thought "Scott Steiner will be huge".

Little did I realise that would be literally the case, but that match was one of Steamboat's last and it showed how great he was at putting people over. I actually feel a little aggrieved for him that Steiner disappeared so quickly to the WWF over money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat is my all-time favourite wrestler, and I am glad that the OP did a topic about him.

About him working as a heel:- I think that they could have tried this, as a series between him and Hulk Hogan would have been very interesting.

Steamboat did take "time off" but that was to be there for the birth of his son. The idea of doing that is scoffed at in wrestling, and is a concept that would be foreign to Vince McMahon (I wonder how much time he spent with Shane and Stephanie when they were growing up), but I watched Ricky Steamboat's DVD, and Richie jr, the son he took time off to see be born, is glowing in his praise and admiration for his father. He seems to realise the sacrifice that his father made for family, and holds him in high esteem for it. So, Steamboat may not have got the accolades he could have had, but he is close to his son, which lasts a long time after the curtain draws on your career, and is unfortunately all too rare in the wrestling industry. I admire Steamboat because, despite how the WWE treated him , he didn't get bitter or criticise them in the press. He in fact works for them as a trainer and road agent, and gives back to WWE more than they ever gave him.

You ask why he couldn't have wrestled much earlier and done a series with HBK etc. From what I understand, Steamboat was a tad reluctant to even do the matches with Jericho, but answered the WWE's call, as a "company" guy, because the WWE stuffed up the Jericho-Mickey Rourke feud, by not having a Plan B. Steamboat's match at WM25 was probably to play off his HoF induction, and his stint with Jericho in the WM25 match was so popular, they booked them one-on-one the next month at "Backlash".

Steamboat isn't interested in stepping back in the ring. He would much rather teach the wrestlers of tomorrow how to do moves, and train them to be ready to perform in WWE. I saw footage of him training Wade Barrett and other guys from NXT. Steamboat is also helping out his son, Richie, who has a development contract with WWE, and hopefully Richie will debut soon on TV, and I would love to see "The Dragon" regularly on TV, in his corner and as his mouthpiece.

Welcome once again to my 'wrestler' threads, this time taking a closer look at Ricky Steamboat.

RickySteamboat008.jpg

Biography:

Ring names:
Dick Blood
The Dragon
Richard Blood
Sam Steamboat Jr.

D.O.B.:
February 28, 1953

Trained By:
Verne Gagne
Iron Sheik

Debut:
February 15, 1976

Retired:
September 1994

Championships and Accomplishments:

Maple Leaf Wrestling

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling/World Championship Wrestling
NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champion - 2 times
NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champion - 4 times
WCW World Television Champion - 4 times
WCW United States Champion - 4 times
NWA World Heavyweight Champion - 1 time
WCW World Tag Team Champion - 8 times

World Wrestling Federation/World Wrestling Entertainment
WWF Intercontinental Champion - 1 time
WWE Hall of Fame - 2009

Matches involving Ricky Steamboat:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBtNBC9J-AU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6M_S2vkDic[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervSC8t6H_E[/YOUTUBE]

Questions for discussion:

2. Do you think his match with Chris Jericho in 2009 was a great closure for Steamboat's career?

5. What do you think does Ricky Steamboat lacked back when he was still wrestling?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Didn't mind his gimmick. He has quite a resemblence to Bruce Lee, and he actually made his karate chops look like they hurt. I don't know if in today's PC society, if the gimmick wouldn't be accused of being a tad racist.

2. I think his feud with Jericho was a good closure to his career. While I love watching him wrestle, I am glad that Steamboat didn't make a full-time return. I see people like Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair, who soil their legacy by having matches far below the quality of their heyday, but Steamboat got "You've still got it!" chants. Remember, that this was a 57 year old, who hadn't wrestled for over 15 years. I feel, however, if he wrestled on TV weekly, the "You've still got it" chants would disappear after a while. You are only as good as your last performance, and Steamboat can hold his head high that his last performances are worth remembering.

3. I think his stint in WWE was quite good. I would have liked to have seen him have a run with the WWE World Title, but Hogan had a mortgage on it, and Vince didn't like to pit faces against one another. I am sure that if Steamboat was a young guy in today's WWE, he would have had more than one run, considering how the belt has become a hot potato.

Once he lost his IC Title to the Honky Tonk Man, I thought that his career in WWE went downhill. I thought that having him lose to the HTM was a disgrace, as HTM is one of the worst wrestlers I have ever seen, and was unworthy to win the IC belt by beating a far superior worker in the ring. I would have preferred Steamboat to have lost his title to Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Ted DiBiase Snr or "Macho Man".

4. Most memorable match would undoubtedly be his WM3 match with Randy "Macho Man" Savage. I was so happy when Steamboat won the belt, and still marvel at the greatness of this match today. There have been many great matches at WM since, yet people mention this match always in their top three best WM matches.

I thought his most memorable segment was his segment with Jericho a few years ago. Steamboat came across well on the mike, and didn't look inferior to a mike maestro like Chris Jericho.

5. Two things I feel Steamboat lacked:-

1) Opportunity. Unfortunately, Steamboat was in WWF when Hulk Hogan had a strangle hold on the WWF Title. By the time Hogan dropped the title, Steamboat had been downgraded by WWF. Hogan v Steamboat would have been an interesting match, but, for a variety of reasons, it never happened.

2) Mean Streak- I think that Steamboat's biggest problem is he is almost too nice a guy to be in wrestling. He didn't politic, push his position, to make friends in high places to advance to higher goals. He wrestled because he loved it, and loved performing, and didn't seem to care about how many titles he won, or being in the spotlight. I have yet to hear one person ever say anything bad about Ricky Steamboat, which is a rarity in a heavily scrutinised industry like wrestling. Anything people accuse him of is probably having qualities that don't get you far as a wrestler, but get you a long way as a decent human being. I think "The Dragon" can sleep well at night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat is my all-time favourite wrestler, and I am glad that the OP did a topic about him.

About him working as a heel:- I think that they could have tried this, as a series between him and Hulk Hogan would have been very interesting.

Steamboat did take "time off" but that was to be there for the birth of his son. The idea of doing that is scoffed at in wrestling, and is a concept that would be foreign to Vince McMahon (I wonder how much time he spent with Shane and Stephanie when they were growing up), but I watched Ricky Steamboat's DVD, and Richie jr, the son he took time off to see be born, is glowing in his praise and admiration for his father. He seems to realise the sacrifice that his father made for family, and holds him in high esteem for it. So, Steamboat may not have got the accolades he could have had, but he is close to his son, which lasts a long time after the curtain draws on your career, and is unfortunately all too rare in the wrestling industry. I admire Steamboat because, despite how the WWE treated him , he didn't get bitter or criticise them in the press. He in fact works for them as a trainer and road agent, and gives back to WWE more than they ever gave him.

You ask why he couldn't have wrestled much earlier and done a series with HBK etc. From what I understand, Steamboat was a tad reluctant to even do the matches with Jericho, but answered the WWE's call, as a "company" guy, because the WWE stuffed up the Jericho-Mickey Rourke feud, by not having a Plan B. Steamboat's match at WM25 was probably to play off his HoF induction, and his stint with Jericho in the WM25 match was so popular, they booked them one-on-one the next month at "Backlash".

Steamboat isn't interested in stepping back in the ring. He would much rather teach the wrestlers of tomorrow how to do moves, and train them to be ready to perform in WWE. I saw footage of him training Wade Barrett and other guys from NXT. Steamboat is also helping out his son, Richie, who has a development contract with WWE, and hopefully Richie will debut soon on TV, and I would love to see "The Dragon" regularly on TV, in his corner and as his mouthpiece.

He couldn't now after the brain aneurysm he suffered, but Richie is on NXT. I think Steamboat was mega brave taking the time off, but he did suffer for it as it really was a no-no in those says as guys like Jake Roberts attested to.

It will be interesting to see what comes of Richie as he will be the first one to have had his dad around... Rocky, DiBiase, Dusty, Bob Orton, they were full time on the road... Their kids all made it to WWE without too many "daddy issues" so you can only judge it on whether Steamboat and son are happy, which they clearly are.

In terms of injury, a lot of wrestlers sat out on Lloyds of London policies on injuries that were called "career ending" but weren't when the income dwindled when the insurance company went bust mid 90's and they were trying to stop paying out.

Perfect was good to go nearly a year before he eventually returned but it wasn't worth his while for the pay on offer when compared to the policy (which was paying at his semi-main event,IC champ level pay) returns.

Rude had the same situation where his injury was in a workable state by the time DX rolled around but while he was a manager, he could still collect 1993 main event level money. It was only once the policy "ended" that the training for his sadly never to happen return began.

In Ricky's case, I am disappointed it took so long... he clearly could handle the 2-3 match return physically at that standard at 47 if he could at 57 unless some radical surgery was invented and then, you just wouldn't risk it.

If it was just being a "company guy" then that's even worse to me cos so many others could have benefited from that one or two matches with him rather than Jericho, who didn't need it by then. Matt Hardy v Steamboat would have been a great feud around the "Mattitude" era or imagine Shelton Benjamin v Steamboat for the IC. Steamboat's biggest asset was his integrity and his decision showed that, but I for one wish he'd been a little more flexible, cos the business would have been a better place with him around.

Steamboat's gimmick was never ground breaking, even when he started and became a star in the 70s. He was a very solid, likeable good guy who happened to be a terrific in ring performer, kind of Brett Hart before Brett Hart.

The Backlash Match vs Jericho was embarrassing, Steamboat did have a very good career and trotting him out just to lose to Y2J was unecessary. The HOF induction and the WM 25 match were very nice but forcing him into the ring just to put over Jericho (who already won at WM 25) was a sour way to end what was otherwise a very special return for Steamboat. If he was healthy and could have worked a full program with Jericho, given a chance to win some matches and shine a bit even if he lost the blow off match that would have been different.

Steamboat Memory: Has to be winning the World Title, when everyone held their breadth expecting the original ref to rule the match a DQ and cheat him out of the belt but instead he raised his hand in victory it was not only an awesome feel good moment but for a lot of fans it traded on some bad booking decissions and screw job endings of recent past, which was a nice touch. As great as that match was, his Best Of 3 Falls Match vs Flair and Flair's title win may both have been a little better but the memory of him winning the belt in that fashion is definately my favorite Steamboat memory, hands down. He had some very good matches vs Tully Blanchard, Steve Austin, Rick Rude, & Randy Savage but his work vs Flair is what made him a HOFer.

Steamboat's gimmick was never ground breaking, even when he started and became a star in the 70s. He was a very solid, likeable good guy who happened to be a terrific in ring performer, kind of Brett Hart before Brett Hart.

The Backlash Match vs Jericho was embarrassing, Steamboat did have a very good career and trotting him out just to lose to Y2J was unecessary. The HOF induction and the WM 25 match were very nice but forcing him into the ring just to put over Jericho (who already won at WM 25) was a sour way to end what was otherwise a very special return for Steamboat. If he was healthy and could have worked a full program with Jericho, given a chance to win some matches and shine a bit even if he lost the blow off match that would have been different.

Steamboat Memory: Has to be winning the World Title, when everyone held their breadth expecting the original ref to rule the match a DQ and cheat him out of the belt but instead he raised his hand in victory it was not only an awesome feel good moment but for a lot of fans it traded on some bad booking decissions and screw job endings of recent past, which was a nice touch. As great as that match was, his Best Of 3 Falls Match vs Flair and Flair's title win may both have been a little better but the memory of him winning the belt in that fashion is definately my favorite Steamboat memory, hands down. He had some very good matches vs Tully Blanchard, Steve Austin, Rick Rude, & Randy Savage but his work vs Flair is what made him a HOFer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At different times, I have heard "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair and Randy "Macho Man" Savage, when asked who was their favourite opponent and feud, have all said that Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat was their favourite opponent, and that their matches with "The Dragon" were the best of their careers.

I thought the gimmick was perfect for the time. He had the look of wrestling's version of Bruce Lee and I think it worked well.

I think it was perfect. He showed us all that he still had it, and he put on a great match with Jericho. If he would have came back years ago he could have had some really great matches with people like Austin and HBK. I kind of wish we would have got to see more of him.

I had read he wanted time off and Vince was not very happy about it. He had one one the greatest matches ever with Savage, but during his second stint he was a bit of a joke. Never was really sure why they brought him back and changed his character totally.

Definitely the match with Savage at Mania 3, and right next to that is his matches with Ric Flair.

I guess if he wanted time off when he was getting a push I would say he lacked the killer instinct to do what it takes to be a top star in WWE. I personally don't agree with someone being penalized for wanting time off with their family, but I guess if he lacked anything that would be it.

Ricky Steamboat had a perfect gimmick for his looks and his in-ring ability. Did it lack something? Of course it did, the mean streak that others pointed out was a huge flaw. He could have worked as a heel if he wanted too, he just needed to do the "wrong things" as we call it. His ability to wrestle could work in any environment, he could do some really dangerous moves for him and his opponent and seeing a guy with the look of a babyface doing wrong stuff would mess up with a lot of guys.

As a fan I loved it. Chris Jericho was a perfect guy to retire him, he was already a future Hall of Famer, a former multi-time world champion and they brought the house down with the quality of their matches. Ricky Steamboat wasn't in his thirties or forties, in fact he was already approaching his sixties and he did what some of the younger guys can't actually do it. He showed how to relate with a crowd, his in-ring psychology was at the top.

I have two great memories about him. One is his feud with Randy Savage with all that injury angle being used and with the classic WrestleMania III bout where he became Intercontinental Champion and the other one is his feud with Jake "The Snake" Roberts. I still remember that kickass DDT on the concrete floor that really put him out. That was love for the business, I can't call it anything else. Everybody knew he would get hurt. Oh and Damien vs. The Dragon was pretty cool.

I already told, but anything coming from him had great matches so for a fan of the current product, you will be amazed with Ricky Steamboat. Just search for his matches, pre-WWF and post-WWF as well. He was a good tag team wrestler with Jay Youngblood, so check their feud with Sgt. Slaughter and Kernodle.

The personality. He was only there to wrestle for the most part, he didn't had that "IT Factor" to a be a major star. Oh and he was also very unlucky to live in an Era where Hulk Hogan was the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back