• Ricky Steamboat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
Bob Backlund
bobbacklundkb.jpg

A 2x WWE Champion he is most remembered for losing the title to perhaps the most famous transitional Champion The Iron Sheik. He was also an accomplished Tag wrestler winning 4 tag Team Titles through out his career. (Sorry I couldn't find more)

Ricky The Dragon Steamboat
steamboat-ricky08.jpg

Well known for being one of the few Stars to stay a babyface throughout his entire career he also held many titles, he is a 1x IC Champion in the WWE. In NWA/WCW, he was a 1x NWA World Heavyweight Champion, 4x United States Heavyweight Champion, 4x Television Champion, 8x WCW World Tag Team Champion, 1x (unofficial) NWA World Tag Team Champion, 2x Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champion, and a 3x Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champion.

I'm going to start with Steamboat on this one. He was never on top of the WWE, and he only managed one IC title reign. Just looking at this, he isn't much of a contender.

However, there are many factors to consider when looking at Steamboat. First, he was a fan favorite. Sure, he didn't get pops like Hogan, but no one did. He was perhaps the biggest face of the midcard, and remaining a face throughout a career is quite hard to do. Second, he had classic matches, most notably his match with Randy Savage at Wrestlemania III. Finally, he made an impact after he transitioned from the WWE.

Comparing Steamboat to Backlund is a bit odd. Backlund's second title reign was pathetic. It began with a fluke and ended in a heartbeat. Nothing memorable there. His first title reign was much better, but not enough to be considered great. As stated above, one of the major stats of his first reign is who he lost it to, and who the Iron Shiek later lost the title to. This makes Backlund more of a filler character, and while I don't debate his slot in this tournament, I'd have to vote for Steamboat over him.

Do I go with a guy who accomplished more in his career being a Mid Carder? Or do I choose the guy who had a long title run and then a fluke title run. To me it's going to have to be Ricky Steamboat. Sure he won the WCW title. But that's really not the highlight of his career. His hour long classics with Ric Flair his spectacular match at WM 3 with Randy Savage and other great matches to me notch this one to Ricky. A consummate professional inside and outside of the ring. Backlund was a little bit crazy, not that he wasnt a decent wrestler, but I remember him more for his X-Division stuff than I ever will for his other accomplishments. Sad, but true.

Ricky Steamboat.

Steamboat. Watch he and Savage or he and Flair. KNow the winner or not and I guarantee you'll have fun. Backlund has one major flaw: He will put you to sleep. He was a good wrestler, but he had no charisma at all. Steamboat just went out, did his thign, and got the crowd going. he was the X-Division before there was an X-Division. HIs matches with Flair may indeed be perfect. It was the perfect balance and it works every time. Steamboat in a sad walk.

I'm voting for Ricky Steamboat. Like Monkey said it's very hard to stay face your entire career especially the length of a carer like Steamboats. His matches with Flair were awesome and I love his WM3 match against Savage. Bob Backlund had a good career but the end of it with his joke WWE Title run and his TNA disaster make this a very easy decision.

I'm kinda confused as to why Steamboat gets in the WWE region as opposed to havinga more successful career as an NWA wrestler, but I digress. I'm just not sure about this one, but I went with backlund. The legend of Steamboat vs. Flair has grown disproportionally throughout time. The ability to have the wonderful hour long matches actually blinds most to actual match content and quality. Steamboat vs. Flair are boring, Steamboat vs. Savage in a third of the time, much better.

I went with Backlund. Better amateur, better, maybe more vanilla professional wrestler, and he had more meaningful title runs. Sure, the second was a fluke, but it was one more WWF title then Steamboat.

I don't like Backlund. I don't disagree that he's a legend, but he isn't Ricky Steamboat.

It's amazing, really, that Steamboat was able to stay face his whole career. Not very many people can claim something like that. And, he was always over. Got good pops his whole career. He put on classics with Flair and with Savage. Those matches are fun. Go watch them on youtube. I'm a big Steamboat fan. He wins here.

Results: Ricky Seamboat wins 14-1 and faces Bret Hart next round.

My thoughts: I thought Backlund would get more than 1 vote, but oh well. I guess most people remeber Backlund for his horrible 2nd WWE itle run and his joke run in TNA. Steamboat Vs Hart is going to make for an interesting match up and I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back