Rey Mysterio,Eddie Guerrero ,and the World Title

punk is gold

Occasional Pre-Show
Some people credit Rey Mysterio's first world title reign to Eddie Guerrero's untimely death(they may have a point) now it's obvious Rey replaced Eddie Guerrero with the hispanic fans and took his spot in the upper-midcard to main event , but my question to you is ,Do you think Rey Mysterio would have won the World Title during his career if Eddie Guerrero was still with us?

Absolutely not. Look, Rey is a great wrestler, but just not believable as a World Heavyweight Champion, or even as a contender. Eventually, the idea that the underdog can won the world title is pretty overdone, especially when you consider that for a guy to be World Champion, it would mean he was the exact opposite of the underdog. You have to make the fans believe you're capable of beating the bigger, stronger wrestlers, and frankly, no one bought into Rey Mysterio, Giant Killer. All of his wins over Giants have been fluke wins, ones in which Rey absorbed innumerable amounts of damage, and pulled of a win that just made no sense. A champion has to be able to prove he can win on a consistent basis, and win cleanly, without any flukiness, and absolutely no amount of good work on Rey's part could help his credibility. Some wrestlers just can't pull of a Heavyweight look, and Rey Mysterio is the absolute best case of a man pushed for all the wrong reasons.

Rey, to me, will always be a champion that just looks oddly casted as the part, and just doesn't fit the role. At all

i remember i was talking to my friend about this 2 weeks ago, honestly just maybe Rey would have won the title at one point if Eddie was alive and he might have to win it against Eddie thats one way to see it. I am going to agree with what Tenta said, I dont see Rey as a guy who is capable of winning the title against bigger and stronger guys.. I remember when he won the title at wrestlemania, i told some people watch he ain't going to hold the belt too long. And the reason for that is because the only disadvantage about Rey is his height..

Rey was better off with either the US or IC belt. I was pretty shock they gave him the belt the second time and this time, he didn't hold it too long.. he was unhappy with the company and was giving a second championship run, am sure people were like ok whatever he not going to be the champion for a long time

Like Tenta said NO. Rey won becauuse Eddie sadly died its as simple as that. WWE needed a new Mexican star and his choices were Chavo(Eddie's Nephew) or Rey(Eddie's Freind) and he choose the more over one seeing as Chavo was a heel at the time going by the name Kerwin White(Correct if Im wwrong about Chavo).
Not to really go off topic but I've never understood how WWE can give Rey a World title at 5ft. 6in.(I believe) and call Christian to small to win a World Title at 6ft. 2in.
Now back on topic Rey won the title the 1st time because of Eddie's untimly sad death and won it the second time due to being Unhappy(what kind of shit is that you get a World Title reign because your Unhappy with pay and other Shit When theres more desrving guys Like Christian, Matt, and others cant think of right now)
So bottom line Hell NO

Absolutely not. It's the World Heavyweight Championship for a reason. Rey had his place in the Cruiserweight division and if Eddie was still around, the defined line between Heavyweights and Cruiserweights would have stayed intact. Hell I'm pretty sure the CW title would have still been around today had it not been for Eddie's death and Rey's subsequent World Title win. But I'll save that full argument for another thread.

I stilll think that to this day if anyone should have won the Championship in memory of Eddie, it should have been Chavo. No questions asked.

I don't think Rey would have won the world title but he would definitely be in the role he is in now as an upper mid carder/semi-main event. Rey probably would have fueded with Eddie for the title much like he did with Edge, the Undertaker, and Kane. He would have been a credible contender for the belt but never would have won it.

if he was given the belt a 2nd time due to being unhappy.. would holding onto it for less than a month make him happier? I really dont understand his 2nd title reign.. i don't see how something like that could make a guy happier.

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHAVO!!! I feel that Chavo would have been much more believable. I tolerated Rey until he won the title, then I couldn't stand him. Without Eddie there would have been Rey. Also Ziggler should have been IC champ LAST YEAR!! But Rey is stubborn and selfish, he should just retire already.

He won it this year, possibly due to the era of playing towards the kids and Rey would probably be favourite of the kids, which is probably why Kane won it this year too.

I don't personally think he would have won it in 2006 had Eddie not sadly passed away just a couple of months before.

I guess what I am saying is he would have won it in this era either way as the kids probably don't even know of Eddie Guerrero now sadly so that storyline of doing it for Eddie couldn't exist, I personally think Rey benefitted greatly from the real life passing of Eddie back in 2005-2006.

I'm with the crowd here: probably not. Until Eddie died, Rey was upper midcard to midcard at best. Then all of a sudden he wins the Rumble and the world title at Mania. That gives him the credibility for the rest of his career, much like Kane. You can say he belongs in the main event because he's a former world champion. Without that, there's a good chance he doesn't make the qualifying match vs. Taker. Also his second reign wouldn't have happened had he not injured Taker, so it's not like he was their first choice. I could see him getting a few one off shots, but not a world champion, no. Not with Eddie getting the spotlight in his place.

It would have been very unlikely. While I hate the Rey Mysterio of now, I thought the Rey Mysterio of a few years ago was a good wrestler. However, As the OP said, Eddie had the Latino/Mexican demographic following him, so Mysterio wasnt needed there. Eddie was also more valuable to the WWE than Rey is, and was a better wrestler, and talker too. That would be another reason as to why Mysterio wouldnt win it. However, if Rey were to win it with Eddie still alive, it would be either when Eddie was drafted to RAW, or if Eddie and Rey were in another major feud. However, it would have been very unlikely for Mysterio to win the world title if Eddie were still around today.

Oh god how I cannot stand the character Rey Mysterio. You will never meet a person who gets pissed off by that things presence more than me. I can tolerate him at times, when he is NOT WHC, and generally I only like seeing him get beet up.

No, there is no chance in hell Rey would have won if Eddie was still around. Unless he injured him & then got sooky. I hope to god he NEVER, and I mean NEVER gets another World title run. He don't deserve it at all in my oh-so-humble opinion.

of course he would have won the world title anyways.....I am sick and tired of everyone saying he won the world title because of Eddie.....lets not forget that Eddie had only 1 world title to his name and went back to upper midcard level for the remainder of his career.....I agree that Rey was in a prime position to hold the title because of Eddies death but that is because they were best friends in real life and Rey was the last person he feuded with....it was symbolic of Rey to hold the world title and it actually had meaning which made it special.......If Eddie were still alive Rey WOULD BE world champ anyways.....he sold more merch than Eddie did to be honest, and also beat him in their last feud.....I honestly dont see why people dont consider Rey a world title contender.....he can wrestle circles around 98 percent of the roster and hold his own...HE IS UNIQUE.....HE SELLS MERCHANDISE....LOTS OF IT.....HE IS A LEGENDARY WRESLTER.....WHAT MORE OF A REASON DO YOU NEED.......THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE IT IS JUST ENTERTAINMENT AND SETS A GREAT EXAMPLE FOR KIDS WHO ASPIRE TO OVERCOME OBSTACLES BECAUSE OF THEIR SIZE.....obviously none of you have any insight into marketing and how the business works..

Darbare, You are a legend!.

Stop whining about Rey's title run/s, It's so annoying seeing people who I'm assuming just watch wrestling and not actually compete as a wrestler complain about people getting title runs they don't deserve, For fuck sake go out there and wrestle a 4-5 star match, Hold a World Title, Cash-in a Money in The Bank briefcase, Bust your ass night in and night out 270-300 days a year to make a living, If the pro's can't do it, Go show them how it's fucking done!.

Rey does deserve a World Title run, he rakes in the big ones, He is way over with the children which is the E's main audience at the moment and gives his all almost everytime he's in the ring. It's 50/50 wether he would've won the WHC if Eddie didn't pass away,
they needed a Latino wrestler to push, and guess who was there? REY MYSTERIO!

Stop whining about Rey winning the World Title. The WWE is an ENTERTAINMENT company and the championship titles (ALL of them) are PROPS, they mean sweet fuck all, If they went by who is the best wrestler, Shawn Michaels would've been WWE/World Champ all the time, But they get given to who can draw the most heat (heel) and who can sell the most merch (face). Rey was way way waaaaay over, So they gave him a run or two with the WHC, because it is after-all a PROP, If you don't like it go into a WWE bashing forum or something!.

Bottom line is it was 50/50 as to wether Rey would've actually won the WHC, IMO I think he would have, But hey, Who knows?

It's tough to say. I think it would be possible. Rey was already an Upper Mid-Carder, Semi Main Event guy when Eddie was alive.

The WWE tried just sticking him in the Cruiserweight division with guys his own size, but that got real old real fast. Eventually people wanted to see him going up against guys like Angle, Show, Benoit, etc.

He was too popular for the division. Plus, the WWE really struggled with having guys in the division. Other than Tajiri and Chavo, there really wasn't anyone for him to face. He feuded with Matt Hardy for the belt, but Matt wasn't even a Cruiserweight!

I think people take the term "World Heavyweight Champion" in pro wrestling too literally. If the WWE should only have guys who are "Heavyweights" as Champion that means guys like HBK, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, and Chris Jericho would've never become Champion. Those guys aren't "Heavyweights". Not by WWE standards, anyway.

I think after Eddie passed away, somebody was gonna get the "In Tribute" push. Eddie had a lot of friends in the WWE. If not Rey, then who? Benoit? He already had his big Wrestlemania moment. Chavo? He wasn't nearly as over.

I think had Eddie not passed away, Rey still would've deserved a run as World Champion. Just because he was and still is a huge draw.

That's why you make guys the Champion, because they draw money.

Of course he would have won the title in his career. Look at the past four years. Your two mainstays in Edge and Undertaker have been injured and taken time off almost every year. Smackdown has always been low on main event talent and Rey would have most definitely filled a spot. He's over with the crowd and has entertaining matches against everybody. It's asinine to think that he wouldn't get one given the Smackdown situations in the past and who has been champion before. Punk isn't exactly huge and he's been world champion and we've seen how his matches against big guys are no better than Rey's. Mysterio would have been a world champion 100%.

"Stop whining about Rey's title run/s, It's so annoying seeing people who I'm assuming just watch wrestling and not actually compete as a wrestler complain about people getting title runs they don't deserve, For fuck sake go out there and wrestle a 4-5 star match, Hold a World Title, Cash-in a Money in The Bank briefcase, Bust your ass night in and night out 270-300 days a year to make a living, If the pro's can't do it, Go show them how it's fucking done!."

Wait,so we have to have been a part of the business to have a right to complain about something? What the hell kind of logic is that?

Should Rey Mysterio been given a run with the World title? No because it's simply not believable. I don't give a damn how many 5 star matches the guy has had,no guy who stands 5"6" and weighs 170 pounds should ever be the World HEAVYWEIGHT champion.

Stop whining about Rey's title run/s, It's so annoying seeing people who I'm assuming just watch wrestling and not actually compete as a wrestler complain about people getting title runs they don't deserve, For fuck sake go out there and wrestle a 4-5 star match, Hold a World Title, Cash-in a Money in The Bank briefcase, Bust your ass night in and night out 270-300 days a year to make a living, If the pro's can't do it, Go show them how it's fucking done!.

I don't even know where to start attacking your points. They just litterally make no sense. Since when was it that "we" had to actually be involved in wreslting before we can talk about wrestling. This is the IWC for crying out loud, not fellow wrestlers. The very people that watch wrestling, go on the internet, and discuss their thoughts on current events or past events. We see, we analyze, we criticize or praise, we debate. Thats what we do. Some of these "IWC" are wrestlers, sure, but you don't have to be a wreslter to discuss it.

Darbare, You are a legend!.

His rep says other wise.

It's 50/50 wether he would've won the WHC if Eddie didn't pass away,
they needed a Latino wrestler to push, and guess who was there? REY MYSTERIO!

See, again your logic makes no sense. First you are saying that its a 50/50 chance whether Rey would have been champion. But when you explain why, you say that because Eddie died, the WWE needed a Latino wrestler to push. So basically you just agreed with the majority of us in saying that "we believe Rey Mysterio would NOT have become champion if it wasn't for Eddie's death. If Eddie wouldn't have died, then they wouldn't have needed to push another Lation athlete. Get it? You just kicked your own ass on this one. I LOVE it when people do that.

Stop whining about Rey winning the World Title.

No one is whining, well except the guy a few posts above you. We are merely giving our reasons on why we feel Rey would not have become champion if it wasn't for Eddie's death.

The WWE is an ENTERTAINMENT company and the championship titles (ALL of them) are PROPS

That is the most logical thing you've said so far.

If they went by who is the best wrestler, Shawn Michaels would've been WWE/World Champ all the time,

Who is talking about champions being picked through being the greatest wreslter? No one metioned that. This is about Rey Mysterio.

But they get given to who can draw the most heat (heel) and who can sell the most merch (face). Rey was way way waaaaay over, So they gave him a run or two with the WHC, because it is after-all a PROP

Rey was over, sure. But he wasn't over enough to be a potential main eventer/upper mid-carder until Eddie died. When Eddie died, all attention went on him. That is what caused him to get more over, enough to become world champion.

If you don't like it go into a WWE bashing forum or something!.

For the milllionth time, your points are either just unbelievably outragous or plain stupid. Did you forget what this thread was about? It is about us giving our opinion on whether Rey would have been champion had it not been for Eddie's death. And once we give our opinion, we state why we feel that way. But just because we say that Eddie's death had to do with Rey's title reign, it doesn't mean that we are bashing him.

Bottom line is it was 50/50 as to wether Rey would've actually won the WHC, IMO I think he would have, But hey, Who knows?

One things for sure, you don't know and thank god for that.

Yea I'm going to go along and say that even if Eddie didn't pass, somewhere down the line Rey Mysterio still would have ended up winning a world title on SmackDown. Look at all the numerous times were Undertaker and Edge had been injured on SmackDown. One of these time Mysterio ended up becoming the top guy due to it and he could have filled at any of the other times. The man is among the list of of most over stars in the company and he sells a lot of merchandise and he is become a draw for SmackDown in a way and increases the Latin demographic who watch the show. Both of his title reigns were warranted for a reason and I'm surprised he has only been a world champion twice despite his huge fan base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back