In 2006 was Rey Mysterio only pushed because of Eddie Guerrero

avriltt234

Occasional Pre-Show
Yesterday i read a thread that said that Rey Mysterio only got a push and run with the World Heavyweight Championship because of what happened with Eddie Guerrero at the time.

My question is do you think Mysterio only got pushed because of the death of Eddie Guerrero?

Nobody can argue otherwise.

Rey Mysterio should have a main WWE title on his C.V. but it shouldn't have come in 2006 when he was pushed purely to capitalize of the death of Eddie Guerrero.

Of course. According to sites like WrestleZone, the original plan was for Randy Orton to win the Royal Rumble in 2006 and beat Batista for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania 22. Eddie Guerrero would then face Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania and Kurt Angle would face the Undertaker. Where is Rey in that?

Simple point, Rey was pushed in honour of Eddie Guerrero, which I think is a spit in the face to Chavo Guerrero, seen as he is family, but Rey was so much more over with the crowd than Chavo ever was, so that was obviously WWE's thinking. This would then lead to a feud between the two and since then Rey has been a main eventer. In the end, Rey has to thank Eddie for that. Personally, I don't mind Rey became the World Heavyweight Champion, and I don't mind he became a main eventer, but I'm not a huge fan on why it happened. Honouring Eddie, yes, I think that is great, but Rey Mysterio would've gotten a push anyway, so I think Chavo should have gotten it in 2006.

Sorry for dragging.

Yeah I think The Reason's for Rey's Push was because of Eddie Guerrero's death. And it wasn't fair to Chavo b/c he was Eddie's Nephew and had family ties and looked up to his uncle. The closest thing he's gotten to a big push was beating JBL that following Monday night on Raw. But if you ask me, the storyline had a climatical ending, but in the same way was a flop b/c after it was all said and done, Rey Won the title in memory of Eddie, but at the same time Rey didn't make a beleivable World Champion. C'mon he beat Kurt Angle and Randy Orton in the Triple Threat Match to win it, and people really saying he only won the title cause Eddie Died. Now don't get me wrong, Rey Mysterio is an Excellent Wrestler but he just wasn't a beleivable world champion. Even through his 2nd time around, he wasn't a beleivable world champion. Chavo was hit harder by Eddie's Lost than Rey was. Yeah Rey and Eddie was close, but Los Guerrero's were closer. But no matter what, the storyline woulda worked for Chavo, but due to his place and position in the company he couldn't get that push. That's the only way I can see it. But that moment should've been Chavo's time to shine.

Yes, that's why Rey got the strap.

Would Rey have ever been a world champion otherwise? I would believe so, yes. However, even as early as in 2006, Rey was on the back end of his career. He's a three time world champion, which I think is too much for him. Simply, he was at his best when he was a 5'2", 140 lbs luchador competing for the Cruiserweight title. He was never going to be the top dog in any giant promotion. However, he got the match in honor of Eddie, and they found a good enough reason to put the belt on a guy that deserved it. Despite his size, Rey got over big-time with the crowd. He's given his body for the fans, and he's been an ambassador for his country.

Overall, Rey deserved at least once to have his name put on the record, to have his time in the sun, and even though he only got to the first time because of Eddie's passing, he still deserved it when he got it. I don't care if that's the only reason why they did that for him.

Are we really having this debate? I mean was Rey in the title picture before hand? No he was a cruiserweight and glorified tag team wrestler. The storylines were all based around Eddie's passing. Without Eddie's passing, Rey wouldn't be a world champion.
WWE capitalizes on human emotions, what better way to capitalize than to give the underdog who was close friends with a man who just died a title run in their eyes. And it worked...slightly.

I think it is very obvious that is why Rey got his push. Rey is cute for kids and midgets but realistically no one wants to see a little toy wrestling against men. Rey is no different than others of his style and the fact is big men can't keep up with the high flyers. I know there are some people who like to blow smoke and think Brock the quitter lesnar can but he can't, don't believe me. Watch how well his first moonsault went.
This works two fold you think Vicki is in wrestling because of her talent. HA.

I hate pitty pushes. And that's exactly what we saw with Rey. What's telling in WWE's lack of faith in Rey as champion is the way he was handled after the title win. He beat JBL then jobbed to everyone before eventually losing the title. It was a pathetic win and a misguided attempt to cash in on people's emotions. But then again, it's fitting that the death of one undeserving champion spawned another.

Although it's true did it really affect WWE? I mean he sells merchandise through the roof, Great in the ring, Exciting and popular, he was a success also he was flexible you could put him anywhere on the card much like Y2J.

I agree, Rey got the belt because of Eddie's passing.

Rey was never in the hunt for the world title, he was always in the mix for lower card belts like the IC or US title. However, once Eddie died, they built a whole angle around Rey having to do it for Eddie, win the title for Eddie, and so forth.

Rey was coming off a fued with Eddie (though the WWE was turning Eddie face again) that saw Eddie actually use Rey's family to get to him. Does that in logic sound like someone you'd win a title in honor of?
Alot of wrestler fans don't like Rey for two main reasons. One: Going back to wearing a mask, even though he lost his mask in WCW. In Lucha tradition, once a wrestler loses a mask, he cannot go back to wearing one.

The second is the whole "Win one for Eddie" angle. Based on his size, it was the only way Rey was ever going to sniff the belt. Besides, how credible is a world champion when the belt weights more than he does?

Why does it matter?

Rey was a star, the story was soundly built, and they needed a new face to appeal to the Latino audience. Chavo wasn't good enough. Period.

Even if he didn't get that "pity" reign, he would have still become champion at some point. He was way too big a star to be denied.

Dear god... Another one of these threads? Yes, we all know Rey got the push because Eddie passed. Most of you hate it. Rey would have stayed in the tag team and mid-card position. We get it. What is your point. I like where Rey is now. A Upper Mid-carder who can put over young superstars and move to the main event whenever needed.

Sad but true. Eddie was supposed to win the belt on the night he died, in a 3 Way against Orton/Mysterio on SD. But yes, Eddie was the top Mexican star for the company, and they needed a new face, which is why Rey won the belt faster then he did.

AND Batista!!!!

Ofcourse Eddie's passing helped push Rey, it was the center of his whole entire gimmick at the time. (Which I always felt a little wierd about having your gimmick be you stealing your best friends glory, that'd be like if Edge died instead of retired right before Christian won the title but anyways I digress.)

I think the thing that played a bigger part in Rey getting the World Title and a Mania Main Event was Batista getting injured. All the reports say it was Batista(c) vs. Orton that year for the main event.

Rey could have easily wrestled Benoit or Chavo in a tribute match of some sort if Batista didn't get hurt. Or even get put into MitB and use Eddie's popularity for Rey to win it and later cash in for a short world title reign if WWE really wanted to capitalize on Rey and his relationship w/Eddie.

It was Rey losing a friend in Eddie, gaining a gimmick in Eddie, losing a friend & tag team partner in Batista, & WWE losing a main eventer that caused the triple threat & Rey walking out of Mania 22 the World Title IMO.

Sad but true. Eddie was supposed to win the belt on the night he died, in a 3 Way against Orton/Mysterio on SD.
And for the record this is false. Eddie may have been in line to win the WHC but it wasn't from Orton or Rey. Which Belt are you thinking of? Because Batista was the WHC and both Rey & Orton didn't hold any gold the night Eddie passed.

Yesterday i read a thread that said that Rey Mysterio only got a push and run with the World Heavyweight Championship because of what happened with Eddie Guerrero at the time.

My question is do you think Mysterio only got pushed because of the death of Eddie Guerrero?

Duh, what kind of post and question is that. You just figured that out. Rey was in the lower mid card feuding with Chavo and a few other nobodies and Eddie's death comes out of nowhere. It's no secret they were good friends etc. and Vince knew that, and ran with it. So of course he wouldn't have gotten that push.

Rey is quite simply the best Luchadore there is, so when Eddie passed, they took the best and gave him the best belt they could. I only wish they would have embraced the true Mexican culture of the other former WCW Luchadores instead of making them all go maskless like WCW tried to do. I'm really sick of Mexican gangs in wrestling. It worked during the nWo era in WCW, but I want to see more masked wrestlers. Sucidie isn't even Mexican or one race in particular.

Yeah this has been addressed just yesterday I think. Rey was the best they had to appeal to the Latino audience. Rey would have been a star anyway so it doesn't really matter. It may not have been as easy for Rey as some people might think. His best friend dies and here Rey is basically benefiting from it. I am sure that wasn't easy for him. I am sure Batista's injury had something to do with it to, but Rey probably would not have gotten that particular push if Eddie still would have been alive.

I get tired of people saying that honestly. I defend Mysterio constantly it feels like. Did they capitalize on Eddie's death? Yes. That can not be denied. But anyone who believes Rey wouldn't have been pushed anyway is lying to themselves. Rey was extremely over with the fans and put on consistently entertaining matches. He was going to be pushed regardless. He has also remained in the main event since being pushed which to me also says it would happen regardless. People just like to hate on Mysterio because he's marketed toward a younger demographic. But besides that he is a good worker. Puts on good matches with almost every superstar.

Duh, what kind of post and question is that. You just figured that out. Rey was in the lower mid card feuding with Chavo and a few other nobodies and Eddie's death comes out of nowhere. It's no secret they were good friends etc. and Vince knew that, and ran with it. So of course he wouldn't have gotten that push.

:rolleyes:

I love how you changed history to fit your agenda but Rey Mysterio was involved in one of the top, if not the top, feud in the Smackdown! brand with Eddie Guerrero in 2005. His feud with Eddie took a bulk of Smackdown's TV time which started at Wrestlemania then culminated in a Ladder Match at Summer Slam.

What else was he doing in 2005 before Eddie passed away? He had TV Matches with Randy Orton, was in the Final Four at the 2005 Royal Rumble (along side other "nobodies" like Edge, John Cena, and Batista), and was already one of the focal points during the RAW/Smackdown! feud in 2005 (I also believe he was already added in the Smackdown! team before Eddie's death).

So no Rey Mysterio was not in the "lower mid" card feuding Chavao Guerreo. He was feuding with a former WWE Champion that lasted for 5 months. And also worked other high profile matches on TV and angles.

All signs pointed that Rey Mysterio was bound to become a Champion someday. Perhaps Eddie's death accelerated that but the feuds and matches he was working on already indicated that he was one of the top guys in the WWE at the time.

But to answer the original thread starter's question: No - because Rey Mysterio was already being pushed at the time

Max220298 said:
Of course. According to sites like WrestleZone, the original plan was for Randy Orton to win the Royal Rumble in 2006 and beat Batista for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania 22. Eddie Guerrero would then face Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania and Kurt Angle would face the Undertaker. Where is Rey in that?

Maybe Rey Mysterio would been factored in the MITB Match or US Title who knows. But keep in mind that Batista did get injury probably also could have affected this original plan. Even if Eddie was alive and let's say he's locked up to face Shawn Michaels at WM, with Batista's injury who would be the next top face of Smackdown! to face Orton? That would be Rey Mysterio and it's not out of the question to think Wrestlemania 22 would have gone this way regardless if Eddie died or not.

To the OP the Truth is NO he wasn't as Eddie was supposed to win the World Title that week before he died and most likely hold it til WM 22 to face Rey in a WM 21 Re-Match as that was the greatest feud SD! had goin at that time but they had to change plans after he died and Rey woulda still won the Word Title at WM as Stephanie stated this about EDDIe and their original plans. At 1st I was believing it was a Pity reign til I heard the Truth and all that. So all you who think otherwise need to do research like I did a few yrs ago before y'all look like Tools. http://forums.wrestlezone.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

The guy won a world title and everyone was chanting "eddie, eddie." It was ridiculous and man, did i not enjoy his title run and chase.

Especially that whole Randy Orton story basically dissing eddie's death.

:rolleyes:

I love how you changed history to fit your agenda but Rey Mysterio was involved in one of the top, if not the top, feud in the Smackdown! brand with Eddie Guerrero in 2005. His feud with Eddie took a bulk of Smackdown's TV time which started at Wrestlemania then culminated in a Ladder Match at Summer Slam.

What else was he doing in 2005 before Eddie passed away? He had TV Matches with Randy Orton, was in the Final Four at the 2005 Royal Rumble (along side other "nobodies" like Edge, John Cena, and Batista), and was already one of the focal points during the RAW/Smackdown! feud in 2005 (I also believe he was already added in the Smackdown! team before Eddie's death).

So no Rey Mysterio was not in the "lower mid" card feuding Chavao Guerreo. He was feuding with a former WWE Champion that lasted for 5 months. And also worked other high profile matches on TV and angles.

All signs pointed that Rey Mysterio was bound to become a Champion someday. Perhaps Eddie's death accelerated that but the feuds and matches he was working on already indicated that he was one of the top guys in the WWE at the time.

But to answer the original thread starter's question: No - because Rey Mysterio was already being pushed at the time

Maybe Rey Mysterio would been factored in the MITB Match or US Title who knows. But keep in mind that Batista did get injury probably also could have affected this original plan. Even if Eddie was alive and let's say he's locked up to face Shawn Michaels at WM, with Batista's injury who would be the next top face of Smackdown! to face Orton? That would be Rey Mysterio and it's not out of the question to think Wrestlemania 22 would have gone this way regardless if Eddie died or not.

No I don't have an agenda, I'm not getting anything out of it. But whether he was feuding with me or Edge it doesn't matter WWE will make stuff like you say I'm doing fit an agenda and say Rey would have been a multiple time champion whether or not Latino Heat was still alive but we all know that's not true. If that's the case why didn't they have Rey defeat Eddie when he was champion instead of JBL. That would have been perfect they had history, roots, and had been feuding like you say Instead of having him win it the way he did with an armband of his arch rival on his arm. Come on. Also we wouldn't have never seen Vickie on a mic or employed by WWE but that's another story. Rey would have always been stuck in the mid card or a spot monkey or a transitional stepping stone for someone else.

In 2006, yes. As a whole, no.

To be technical, Rey's "push" began with Eddie at WM21. At the time of Eddie's death, no one could deny that Rey was already over with the crowd by, and before that point. Did Eddie's death speed up the process? Debatable, and more than likely the case, but unbias would lead anyone to believe that Rey would've won the World Title at some point, with or without Eddie alive.

Everyone has the general opinion that Chavo deserved to get that big "push" after his uncle's death, and rightfully so, but if Rey's Royal Rumble and World Title win came because of that tragedy, who's to say Chavo getting ANY reaction from the crowd didn't sprout from the same seed?

Think about it.

No I don't have an agenda, I'm not getting anything out of it.

Fair Enough going back ...

If that's the case why didn't they have Rey defeat Eddie when he was champion instead of JBL. That would have been perfect they had history, roots, and had been feuding like you say Instead of having him win it the way he did with an armband of his arch rival on his arm.

Eddie was champion around 2004, I don't they crossed paths in the WWE yet besides the tag team championship run. And why didn't Rey beat Eddie in 2004 for the title? Simple he wasn't as over yet but were comparing Rey from 2004 to Rey in 2005. He was the top guy in the Cruserweight Division in 2004 but got his push worked his way to upper card programs that allowed him to get over.

A lot can happen to a superstar in a year in this Era. Ask The Miz he went from curtain jerking at WM26 to main eventing WM27.

Or how about Batista, no one considered him as a main eventer as soon as WM21 even as close as Survivor Series 2004. Yet one or two episodes on RAW (the one where Triple H faked an attack by Batsita to get out of defending the World Title) Batista was suddenly seen as a future main eventer. So in 5 months Batista rose from "Evolution's Enforcer" to one of the two top faces in the Company.

Rey would have always been stuck in the mid card or a spot monkey or a transitional stepping stone for someone else.

Who was the stepping stone during the Rey or Eddie feud? Or the Angle and Rey feud back in 2002?

I don't like the term spot monkey. I don't mean to be harsh but I really find it a cliche to describe high flyers that to claim that they can't wrestle. Hogan does the same moves over and over gain, does that make him a Spot Monkey? Or what about Shawn Michaels he does a lot of expected routines in his matches, is he a spot monkey to? What about The Rock, Flair, or Undertaker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back