Revolution: Mikey Stormrage vs. Constantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Blonoff

Make America Rassle Again
9gqcAN1.gif

In an effort to protect his friend, Mikey Stormrage threw down the gauntlet against former Elite X Champion John Constantine. The Elite member has made Stormrage's live a living hell since he cost him the Elite X Championship. Will Constantine simply brush aside the challenger or will Mikey finally get the monkey off his back and earn himself a coveted World Title shot?

Deadline is Friday, January 23rd an 11:59pm CST. Extensions available upon request.

Constantine stood alone in the elevator, leaning against the glass panelling with his eyes closed, enjoying the silence that he very rarely got these days. Truth be told, Constantine had quickly become a hot commodity in the world of professional wrestling. Since his completion of the Elite X Gauntlet, no one could refute his claim to the World Heavyweight Championship, He had talked abut it for years, and really made good on his claims since Meltdown 100; his return and victory over WZCW Legend Titus. But Constantine knew that talking about the Heavyweight Championship and actually winning it were two very different things indeed. He had already come close to winning the biggest prize in sports entertainment, unfortunately falling at the last hurdle.

However, since completing the Elite X Gauntlet, Constantine had made good on his promise to put the screws to Matt Tastic and claim the World Heavyweight Championship for himself, and for the Elite for that matter. Constant interviews, personal appearances and public announcements had taken their toll on the Number One Contender for the Heavyweight Championship. Not to mention the added bonus of having a heavily pregnant girlfriend at home to contend with. He forgave himself very quickly for just enjoying the sudden silence. It wasn't as if he didn't “like” those things that had warped and polluted his mind. It was more that, in the last few months, he had no time to himself. Something that he promised Mia would never happen on his return to WZCW; and something that he felt bad for... For a while.

But Mia was more that supportive of his operations within WZCW, she had made that very clear in the past; something that Constantine was very thankful for indeed. Without her support, Constantine often pondered what would have become of him and his latest WZCW run. Could he actually make good on his promises to join the elite warriors within WZCW and claim the WZCW Heavyweight Championship? Probably not, he had thought. But she realised that Constantine's passion for the World Heavyweight Championship and etching his name into the history books of WZCW for all the right reasons was a fire that would never be extinguished until he had accomplished that goal. What choice sis she have other than to support him? And at eight and a half months pregnant with a baby, who already had complications, it was a risk that she had to take.

But Constantine was grateful of her support, how could he not be? His world have been turned upside down since the announcement of their pregnancy. So much so that he had employed multiple people in attempt to give some stability back to his uneven existence.

And as he stood in the elevator with his eyes closed, he thought about everything. He thought about how his life was bound to change with the impending birth of his first child. Could he manage a child, being a father and, perhaps, being a World Heavyweight Champion, too? Time would tell. But his mind would systematically switch to thoughts of Mikey Stormrage. Constantine had already been on such a long journey since he first returned to WZCW with lofty ambitions, and no one would argue the point that he certainly took the long way round. The path had gone through seven different opponents before finally seeing the horizon and his goals drawing nearer. His body and, perhaps more importantly, his mind were tired. He was exhausted.

But he couldn't give up; he never would anyway. All of the steps towards the World Heavyweight Championship led to this point and now just one obstacle stood in the way of the biggest match of his long career; and the finalisation of this particular journey. Did he have what it took to get there, he constantly wondered.

Voice: Level 15, please mind your step.

Constantine's eyes opened as the elevator doors did the same. Immediately, the vultures were upon him, unforgiving and unrelenting. Seemingly incapable of taking a hint either. Constantine exits the elevator, his hands in his pockets and flanked by his Secretary of Offence, Nixon Pearce.

Pearce: Boss, we have to get you into the gym. Now, I know that you and Mia had plans this weekend but with Revolution right on the other side of the weekend, I think you should go ahead and cancel them. I heard rumblings from my people that Mikey Stormrage has been training all week since his defeat to the The Beard. Perhaps the loss to the former World Champion had reminded Mr. Stormrage of how far he has to go and he is certainly looking to close that gap.

Constantine continues to walk as Nixon Pearce continues to talk at a furious rate of knots. Peering down at an open file over his tiny glasses, Pearce takes absolutely no notice of Constantine's exhausted features or uncaring facial expressions. The two men walk as, from the other side of the floor, a shout greets Constantine. It is from the nasally voice of Hilary Carter, Constantine's Chief Negotiator.

Carter: John! I've got big news for you.

Carter scurries around the desks of the office staff, another clipboard in her hand. Finally, she joins the side of John Constantine as the speech of Nixon Pearce begins to trail off.

Carter: It was a tough negotiation but I spoke to Vance Bateman and I have managed to get you out of your house show matches before the big match with Stormrage at Revolution. He told me hat it was totally impossible and that you would need to do your duties as a WZCW superstar. Truth be told, I didn't think he would hold onto you for that long. But don't worry about a thing, John, I've got it settled. I simply reminded him that you were one of the biggest talents in WZCW and his next PPV could be in doubt should you injure yourself at a house show in front of completely undeserving people. Eventually, he caved and I got my way. Another one bites the dust. However, you are going to have to do a press appearance on Friday at four in return.

Constantine continues to walk, saying nothing but taking everything in.

Hancock: Friday at four?! Are you kidding me, Carter. His schedule is too tight for another press appearance. I already made room in his schedule for the Magazine segment this week. Plus, he has a public appearance in Missouri on Friday, I am afraid it is completely out of the question. You'll just have to go ahead and reschedule it, Carter.

Hilary Carter gives Constantine's scheduler a dark and venomous look as he joins the team too. Flipping through a calendar with gusto, he does not even notice the horrible look that should be burning a hole through him.

Carter: Reschedule? Are you insane!? I have managed to get John out of three house shows over the weekend in return for a press appearance for one hour. All you seem to do is fill up his schedule with utter nonsense that will only draw attention away from his talents and, if anything, put him in a worse position going into the PPV.

Jefferson: He's doing the public appearance on Friday, Carter, you better just get back on that phone and talk to Bateman. Trust me, he'll cave in. You have to think about it this way. All of those people in Missouri are the one who will fill the arena next week and give John the moral and emotional support that he need to get through Mikey Stormrage. You know, sometimes your short-sightedness really is a problem. Far be it from me to tell you how to do your job... But you're doing it wrong.

Hancock: Agreed!

Carter, now visibly offended, lets her jaw fall in utter shock at the sudden revelation from Michael Jefferson, the Public Relations officer for the former Elite X Champion. He had worked hard on that appearance, it was true. But Carter still had the right to be upset, she thought.

Carter: Excuse me!? If you want to talk about short-sightedness, let's talk about how you want John to wrestle three more matches before his match with Mikey at the PPV. Simply so that you can go back to you contact in Missouri and tell them that you were able to get the John Constantine to show up. You're not looking after your employer now, Jefferson, you're just looking after your own reputation.

Not to be lost in the mix, Nixon Pearce was back in play.

Pearce: Quiet, you three, I need to get some time with John in the gym. All three of you need to taje your asses back to your chairs and let adults speak about how we are going to get through Mikey Stormrage next week. You haven't got a clue. Boss, I need a time and a plan for your training schedule, I've hired the best trainers for you... Just say the word.

All of a sudden, the conversations between the four people who flank the number one contender devolves into madness, each talking over one another and being lost in arguments rather than contributive talking. Picking up his pace as all four continue to argue around him, Constantine finally reaches his office and opens the door. Suddenly, a hand grabs his arm. He spins around suddenly to find the wrinkled hand of Nixon Pearce around his biceps. He raises his eyes slowly as the arguing between the four members of his team begins to subside in fear.

Constantine: Months!

The Power Trip's loud bark fills the office with fear as many visibly jump before him, his eyes filled with fiery venom and emotion.

Constantine: For months, I have heard you lot squabble over my affairs and how I should handle my business. Public appearance after public appearance, negotiation after negotiation. You four are tearing me into pieces and I cannot do this any more. For five minutes, can I just be left alone with my thoughts? For five minutes, can I be allowed to do what I feel is best for John Constantine?

Pearce's hand falls away from the arm of the Power Trip as Constantine moves inside the room. He gives everyone a sharp looks before slamming the door in their faces . He closes his eyes once again, enjoying the sudden silence and falling against the wooden door. On the outside of his protective bubble, the silence is still ongoing... Until it bursts back into life once again, people going about their business of protecting the Constantine brand and maintaining his image. Constantine gives a slight laugh as he rests his head against the door.

Mia: Feeling the pressure?

Constantine spins on his heels to look into his office, the woman of his dreams sitting on his chair behind his desk, her feet resting comfortably on the desk. Well, semi-comfortably anyway.

Constantine: What are you doing here?

Constantine's words should be filled with question and hatred, like they normally are. Instead, they are filled with love and grace, a smile finally appearing on the face of the number one contender as he looks at the auburn-haired woman who has infiltrated his office and his heart.

Mia: I thought you could use the company more than anything. I guess I was right?

Constantine smiles warmly as Mia questions him.

Constantine: This place is hard work, Mia. You know that. You've been through all of this before. Hell, we've been through all of this before. And you know how it is before a big event, everyone is just at the end of their tether. All of those guys, I trust completely. I guess they are just as passionate about me winning as they are about making themselves successful.

Mia begins to move her legs as Constantine moves across the floor towards her. With great difficulty, Mia finally gets her pregnant legs from on top of the wooden desk; leaving what was left of her dignity at the door seemingly. Constantine cannot help but laugh as Mia nurses her swollen ankles and groaning pitifully. Pulling a chair over from the side of the room, Constantine places it next to his desk before sitting down. He motions for her feet and Mia graciously and quickly obliges, a wry smile now appearing on her face.

Mia: I know you're stressed, John. God knows, I've been the same. Being 8 months pregnant is no easy task either, you know.

Mia flashed Constantine a smile again, a gesture that is met by the Number One Contender to the Heavyweight Championship.

Mia: you probably think you can hide it from me, but nothing gets past me, John. You should probably know that by now. I've felt you climbing out of bed in the early hours of the morning and staying away for hours. I remember waiting for you to leave one night, absolutely terrified that you were cheating on me or something horrible like that. I followed you down the stairs until I head rustling of papers coming from your study. I crept down the steps, hoping not to get caught. Finally, I made it to the bottom of the steps and peered my head inside the open door. It was nothing exciting really, just you at your desk rustling through your files and watching wrestling on the wall TV.

Constantine interjects.

Constantine: You couldn't have thought-

Mia: You don't know what goes through a woman's mind when she's pregnant, John. Every single eventuality goes through your mind from attractiveness to changes in emotions. Truth be told, you don't actually feel like yourself for those months. I don't think I ever seriously believed that you were cheating on me or anything. But you know something, I am so glad that I walked down those steps and found out what was really going on, even if I did have to confront my fear. You looked so tired that night, and it wasn't because you didn't get a lot of sleep that night; I had seen it happen right before my eyes for months.

Constantine averts his eyes from the loving gaze of his pregnant partner; not standing to look at her. He goes back to her swollen ankles again as Mia continues.

Mia: I've tried my best to help you out, John, I hope you know that. And I know that things could get worse in the near future. A win over Mikey Stormrage is just another chapter in the book that you are writing; I get that. After him, Matt Tastic or Ty waits for you and you need all the support you can get; I get that, too. And all those people out there, they just want to help you, you know that. But you know something else, I will always be there for you, John. If you ever need to talk about anything, or you ever need any support; don't hide it from me. Take me with you on your journey, I want to share everything with you. We're having a baby, John; we're connected forever anyway. I just... I just want to help.

Constantine finally meets the gaze of his loving partner, a sting of guilt, compassion and love piercing his heart like a hot knife through butter. Letting her foot fall gently to the floor, he moves his seat towards her. Looking in his eyes, Constantine's world become crystal clear for just a moment. For that one second, everything else just faded away to nothing. The World Heavyweight Championship was important to Constantine, and beating Mikey Stormrage once and for all was an added bonus. But right before him was the only thing that ever really mattered.

Constantine: You know something, Mia. I don't know why I ever leave home.

Mia gives Constantine a warm smile as he brings her close to him and kisser head gently. He lets her go before slowly getting out of his chair.

Constantine: In all of this chaos, I sometimes forget about you and I am eternally sorry for that. This quest, unending as it seems to be, will one day come to a close. You must know that?

Mia gives Constantine an accepting nod of the head as he begins to quickly pace around his office.

Constantine: All of this... The office, the Championships, the people... One day it will all be gone and all that will remain is me, you and or child. I promise you this. But looking into your eyes have lifted me, Mia; you should know that. I felt as though I had to tear myself into pieces to get through Mikey Stormrage at the PPV but I see the folly in that now. Whilst I have conditioned my mind and body to the gruelling ways of WZCW, he has conditioned his personality to be one of love and acceptance. And the flocks of sycophantic masses who continually but tickets to see him reflect that; they love him for it.

The Power Trip pauses for another moment, looking deep into the eyes of his partner and coming to a halt in the middle of the room.

Constantine: And looking into your eyes, hearing your words... It all made sense to me. That feeling of love resolute, it is a powerful thing. Adviser after adviser has given me speech after speech in an attempt to get to the bottom of what really makes Mikey tick. And in that one moment, you gave me the answer. He is in this business because he loves it. I have seen the same look in his eyes when he is in the ring as you just gave me moments ago. That is what gives him his strength to carry on and represent the people who would rather see him die in the middle of the ring than give up.

Constantine's typical fire returns as he continues.

Constantine: Mikey is a strong competitor with a lot of heart, that much is certainly true. But he has never been on my level, I see that now. For the drive behind him is completely unsubstantial. It is fabricated and can be changed within seconds. He does not need the conditioning training I have had because he fights from the heart!

A sudden epiphany has hit Constantine and he is no mood to halt it now. His pace quickens along with his words. Suddenly, he comes to a stop once again, moving towards Mia with love in his eyes, fuelled by his typical fire and ambition.

Constantine: Mia, I must thank you for everything. Sincerely. Without you, I don't think I would have gotten the better of Mikey Stormrage. But your love for me and our child is worth more than Mikey will ever know. He only knows me as a cold-hearted and stony manipulator who fights for nothing but personal gain and glory. But with you behind me, I finally realise that Mikey and I are very alike. Without realising it, I have been fighting for something much more than I ever expected. Something which I will never forget again, nor will I ever disappoint.

Constantine sits down on his chair once again, grasping at the hand of his pregnant partner.

Constantine: I have been fighting for you.

I sat looking around the room. Reading the titles of the books on the shelves, mostly on psychology. Trying to gaze through the window despite the blinds being drawn. Inspecting the heavy desk with the new computer sitting on top. I chuckled to myself when I saw they were using Internet Explorer as the browser. I shifted my weight back and forth, the leather of the couch I was sitting on was making an uncomfortable noise. I was growing impatient.

Finally a knock on the door.

"Sorry I'm late Mr. Brown."

"Its whatever, no biggie."

He reached his hand out and we shook before he took a seat behind his heavy oak desk.

"So your mom actually called and scheduled this appointment. You seemed a little reluctant when we spoke on the phone."

"Maybe because my mother is scheduling therapy appointments for her twenty five year old son."

"You could have just cancelled the appointment."

"I feel like maybe I do need this. So as much as it pains me that my mother called and scheduled this appointment, it isn't the worst thing in the world."

The therapist took off his glasses and moved to a seat closer to me, bringing with him a pen and pad of paper.

"So I'm going to skip a lot of the formal questions. I know you are fairly famous, I know you work in a dangerous profession. I'm more interested in what you just said. Why do you feel like you need this? What has been bothering you lately?"

I took a deep breath.

"Well I'm not sure how familiar with my profession you are, but I recently stepped up and called out one of the biggest and hottest names in the sport. I'm regretting it. I don't think I can beat him."

"Why did you call him out?"

"To protect a friend."

"Protect him from what?"

"You know I'm not really sure. I don't think he really needs to be protected. He is a World Champion, the best of the best."

"So why did you do it?"

"It seemed to be the valiant thing to do. I think its what people expect of me."

The therapist jotted down a few notes before he spoke again.

"Do you think maybe you simply did it to fill some void in your life?"

"Its possible that I simply did it to try to fill the day. I think I even knew at the time that I couldn't beat him. Constantine may have never won a World Title, that thing I covet ever so, but he has come closer than I ever have and likely ever will."

Again he took a few notes.

"Why do you think you can't win?"

I just stared into space like a dead China doll.

"Mr. Brown?"

"I've never been much of shit, by most measurements I don't exist. On the radar, I'm a little blip in the shadow of mother ships."

"I take it that you don't have a very high opinion of yourself."

As I spoke he took notes, likely writing down my words.

"I don't. I know I'm a mess. I sleep in until the afternoon almost every day, I overeat, I'm lazy. Ever since I moved I really have no friends or acquaintances. I recently took to ordering escorts to keep me company. I drink too much, I'm a slob. I'm a complete wreck with no future. Now and then, it seems worse than it is, but mostly that view is accurate. When I do happen to wake up before eleven in the morning I go to this little corner cafe and get a coffee and a paper, and I have conversations with the sidewalk, the pigeons, my window reflection, anything. I'll spent the rest of the day out until I climb the stairs to the coffin I call my apartment."

Before he could respond, I started to talk again.

"But there's a dream in my brain that just won't go away. It's been stuck there since it came a few nights ago. I'm standing on a bridge in the town where I lived as a kid with my mom and my brother. And then the bridge disappears and I'm standing on air with nothing holding me. I hang there like a star, just fucking glowing in the dark, for all the starving eyes to see."

He took a moment before he spoke again.

"Why do you think you have this dream?"

"I still hold out hope that my life isn't just some waste. That maybe I can be a shining star one day. That maybe I will find my place in this world. That through some minor miracle, this kitten will become a lion."

He took his time to write down the notes.

"Tell me more about finding your place."

"I liken it to this story my dad used to tell me. He grew up on a farm, and one day the farmer bought this brand new red rooster, he was so proud of it. He put it in the pen with his white chickens. The next morning when he woke up, the white chickens had killed the red rooster because it was different, they weren't used to it. My dad said if they had raised that red rooster with the regular chickens from birth, they would have gotten along without an issue, but when he threw in something different, the regular white chickens were scared and killed it. I think that is why guys like Ty Burna and Constantine have had such an issue with me. In the world of wrestling I'm that red rooster, I'm different. I don't fit in. I don't have access to world class trainers or corporate press teams. I don't have private drivers or model girlfriends. I live in a fucking apartment and the last sex I had was Thanksgiving with an escort."

I stopped to take a breath and allow my therapist to catch up with his notes.

"The worst part, in my mind, I've been a dick. Constantine, as much of a prick as he can be, ran the Elite X gauntlet. He picked up more wins in that run than I have in six months. He has a rightful claim to a World Title match, and I've just gotten in his way and delayed that. He may be a bastard, but he is a talented bastard who has worked hard for what he rightfully deserves."

I stood up from the couch, the leather moving back into place almost sounded like a sigh of relief from no longer having to support my weight, and started to walk out the door.

Me? I wasn't sure what I deserved, but all of this has gotten me thinking, if I couldn't beat Constantine at Revolution, it might be time to find a new place to try and fit in. If I let the white chickens win, it might be time for me to say Game Over to Mikey Stormrage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back