Apocalypse: James Howard(c) vs. Mikey Stormrage-EurAsian Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Blonoff

Make America Rassle Again
Deadline is Friday, December 20th, 11:59pm CST. Extensions available upon request​

A lot can change in two months. Together James Howard and Mikey Stormrage have conquered the tag team division and won the hearts of fans everywhere as Strikeforce. But for reasons no one knows, Stormrage turned on his tag team partner and targeted his EurAsian title. Now, in his first title defence, can Howard put aside his emotions and retain his title against the man he once called a friend?

"Come on man, lets grab a drink."

I hopped out of the front seat of James car and walked toward the door our our favorite bar.

"Two seconds mate, I need to call the misses and let her know we made it."

James' voice didn't slow me down. I was ready to head in and find a seat. People knew us here. Not in an annoying way, but it wasn't uncommon for someone to buy us a drink. It was still unusual to me. A Midwestern kid and a run of the mill guy from England, and we were something of cult heroes in this small bar just outside of San Francisco. As I got inside I shook a few hands, slapped a few fives, and posed for a picture. Strikeforce was on top of the world. We were about to head into Unscripted in the biggest match of our lives and we were more than ready. As I found an empty booth, James made his way inside. He went through the same motions before he slid into the booth opposite me.

"Sorry about that mate, you know how Dinah worries, what with her being so close to her due date."

I checked the time on my phone and then pulled up a picture to show to James.

LoganandHuskyHarris.jpg

"Is it just me or are ninety percent of the people who want pictures me with kids?"

I slide my phone back in my pocket.

"You are like a big, scruffy teddy bear. Kids are drawn to that."

Almost as soon as James had finished the waitress walked up and slid into the booth next to James.

"Hey there fellas, what can I get for you tonight?"

She made sure to scoot as close to James as possible.

"I'll have a jack and coke."

"Okay, jack and coke for the handsome man. And for you big guy?"

"Rum and coke, make it a double. And an order of wings with ranch."

The waitress wrote down our order and slid out of the booth.

"I'll get that right in boys."

She left with a wink at James. I looked at him, disappointed.

"Man, why do the girls always go for you?

He simply shook his head, ignoring my question as the bar began to blur and fade.

I sat up in bed, scratching my head. I started to recall the dream as I swung my legs over the side of my bed, my feet touching the floor. I guess for a long time there was a lot of jealousy that was beginning to build in me. James had always been better than me, that was the long and short of it, but I didn't think he was so much better that he deserved all of the praise and attention. When groups of fans wanted pictures and autographs, they always ran to him first. When girls wanted to give us their number, they always went to him, despite him being engaged with a child on the way. Maybe that night is where the seeds were planted, maybe they were planted further back. I didn't know, but I did know that with each passing day I grew jealous of my friend. Like an overlooked younger brother, I grew spiteful of James.

I stood and went to the bathroom and splashed some water on my face. I grabbed a nearby towel and wiped it dry. I stared back at the man in the mirror. He was different. He wasn't me. Despite not recognizing him, I was unsure how I felt about him. Sometimes I liked him and felt drawn to him, other times I was scared and ashamed of him. My feelings on the man looking back at me were just as confusing as my feelings toward James. I loved James, he was my best friend, my brother, my protector from myself. His family had taken me in like one of their own. For that I was eternally grateful. On the other side of the coin, he often pushed me aside when non wrestling things came up. He had gone behind my back during the Sergei ordeal. When he came back, he retook the spotlight. I may have failed in my quest to avenge him, but he never gave me a chance to stand on my own two feet. For that, I hated him.

I walked to the window, looking out at the busy street below. It had been some time since I had been in England. The last time I was here James took me to his father's grave site. He trusted me enough to allow me to see him at his most vulnerable. It was a touching moment, but this trip would include no such heartwarming moments. I was the enemy, the foreign invader. James was the hometown hero, defending his belt against the outsider. I would receive no warm welcome, I was the bad guy. I would be booed unmercifully. So I had to hide my face.

I walked to my bag and pulled out my mask. I walked back to the mirror and slipped it over my face. The man who looked back at me was confident, powerful. The man whose eyes I stared into didn't care about what the fans thought, or about winning gold. He cared about one thing, and one thing only. Getting his hands around the throat of James Howard and slowly sucking the life out of him, until the man in the mirror had exacted his revenge.

The tour of Europe had been exhausting but it had been worth it. I was returning home for the first time since my son was born and, for the first time since I’d moved to America, I was coming back alone. I dreaded the conversation with my mother, though that was nothing new. As I collected the keys to my hire car and made my way to the parking area I threw the once new and now useless Sharpie I’d brought for autographs in the bin, between a semi-homecoming in Dublin and now this I’d been swamped by fans for the past fortnight and signed more autographs than I cared to remember. I walked through the parking lot looking for the hire cars, alert for the sounds of locks clicking and the sight of flashing orange indicators to tell me which was mine. I found my car and hopped into the driver’s seat. I chuckled at the thought of someone like Ricky Runn or Callahan in a right hand drive car remembering the first car I got in the US.

I made my way into the city centre, it had been too long since I visited the city and there was somewhere I needed to go before I met up with my ma. As I arrived in the car park I looked for the sign for the building. It was gone. I walked to the door and made my way inside, I was greeted by a small blonde woman, her head poking up behind the reception desk like she was peering from the top hatch of a Sherman. I approached the desk and leant over, she looked pretty good considering she seemed to spend most of her day hiding.

“Hi”

“Hello, do you have an appointment?”

“Uh, no.”

“I’m sorry but Mr Ackton is extremely busy and can only see people by appointment.”

“No problem, thanks anyway” I said as I turned for the door. I reached for the handle and began to pull.

“Excuse me” came the voice of the receptionist. I smiled to myself, being famous did sometimes have its advantages. “Are you James Howard?”

“Yes” I responded “Are you a fan?”

“My Boyfriend is.” Well, at least I got spared an awkward silence. “What brings you to this dingy old place?”

“It used to be a gym. When I was a kid I trained here.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, four nights a week and all day Sunday. I spent ten years coming here learning how to fight.”

“But now you’re a wrestler? Isn’t that all fake?”

I leant forward over the desk, she recoiled. I pointed to the scar on the back of my neck.

“Can you see that?”

She stuttered her response as I lifted my head. “The scar?”

“Yeah the scar. Do you know how many scars I got from MMA? None. From wrestling? Too many to count, each one tells its own story and that scar is the time someone broke two vertebrae in my neck and damn near paralysed me. I spent six months nursing that wound and you know what? I was happier laid in a hospital bed than I am right now. Wrestling has cost me every relationship I’ve ever held dear. Do you know I have a son? He’s at home right now in San Francisco, with my fiancée who isn’t, I would say I was single but I’ll be honest I don’t know if I am because she hasn’t said one goddamn word to me in two months. Add to that that my best friend, hell, my ONLY friend has had a total mental breakdown and wanders all over the world wearing a mask and talking about what’s beautiful.”

I rolled my backpack onto the floor and reached inside, grabbing my Eurasian Championship. I placed it onto the reception desk.

“This is all I have to show for it. This title has replaced my son, its replaced friends and its replaced my love life because before I won this title all of those things had been taken from me so I’ll give you an opportunity to correct yourself.”

I leant over the desk as I threw my title over my shoulder.

“Do you still think wrestling is fake?”

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to see a security guard. Clearly the woman had pressed some kind of silent alarm. The guard stepped back when he saw me and clearly recognised me. I shrugged off his palm.

“Don’t worry I’m going.”

I walked out of the door and towards the car. Two hours in England and already at least two people were terrified of me. I was definitely home. I thought about Apocalypse and Mikey before pulling into a lay-by on my way to my Ma’s house. I stepped out of the car, lit a cigarette and pulled my phone out of my pocket. It went to voicemail, I didn’t expect anything else. Cars sped past me as the strong wind blew my coat open and smoke to blow into my eyes, causing me to squint ever so slightly.

“Mikey, it’s Howard. I know Leon has been to visit you and I know he gave you the package before Meltdown. I also know you’re not stupid and you realise that attacking me after I saved you was the final insult. That mask you wear? It’s poisoned your mind. It’s coming off and if I have to take your whole damn face with it then so be it. You’re not in Kansas anymore Mikey. This is my house. I’ll see you in London, bring your best. You’ll need it.”

I got back into the car and drove away. Apocalypse really was coming and it was coming for Mikey.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back