Report: WWE Buys TNA Video Library But Not TNA Itself

Billy Corgan should completely rebrand TNA to Impact Wrestling Championship, or IWC for short. Get it!? This is similar to the WWE’s purchase of the AWA. They had the library, but for a short period of time, the AWA was still running. All I want for Christmas is a WWE version of the Main Event Mafia DVD!! I can't wait for TNA on the Network.

Billy Corgan should completely rebrand TNA to Impact Wrestling Championship, or IWC for short. Get it!? This is similar to the WWE’s purchase of the AWA. They had the library, but for a short period of time, the AWA was still running. All I want for Christmas is a WWE version of the Main Event Mafia DVD!! I can't wait for TNA on the Network.
I wouldn't want it as Impact Wrestling Championship or ICW. ICW is better suited for Internet Wrestling Community.

If the news is true then it's a win-win situation for everyone involved. Corgan should give it a new name and identity. By a new identity, this promotion could be saved from rumours of going under every now and then.

TNA has enough talent to back up a new promotion. All it needs is good booking.

I have many questions about this:

a) If WWE buys the library, will TNA be able to use its own library?

b) If WWE buys the library, it means it will showcase TNA for free on the Network, so we would TNA want to change their name, if they can get free advertising from the world's #1 wrestling company?

c) With that being said, wouldn't TNA have to pay rent to the WWE for the free ad?

It's tricky. Can someone explain?
a) Short answer no, long answer 'eh'. The WWE would be buying the copyright rights to the library; otherwise, there's not much of a point in it for them. So they would be able to put TNA content on the Network, and if TNA wanted to make a highlights package of EC3 using 2015 footage, the WWE could either turn them down outright or charge them a usage fee.

b) Part of this sale would necessitate some sort of 'no-compete' against the footage the WWE has bought; otherwise, they're paying for the right to advertise their competitor on the Network. This could very well come in the form of agreeing to purchase the library, under the condition that any successor organization rebrands themselves. (Which, c'mon- TNA has been begging for a rebrand for years. This kind of deal would be a blessing in disguise for TNA.)

c) You won't be seeing a deal where "Total Nonstop Action" is both on the WWE Network, and is being sold to you buy a competing company, so, no.

I have many questions about this:

a) If WWE buys the library, will TNA be able to use its own library?

b) If WWE buys the library, it means it will showcase TNA for free on the Network, so we would TNA want to change their name, if they can get free advertising from the world's #1 wrestling company?

c) With that being said, wouldn't TNA have to pay rent to the WWE for the free ad?

It's tricky. Can someone explain?

My guess is that WWE is buying all the naming rights along with the video library so the company that Billy Corgan now owns will need to go under a different name. I think that answers all 3 questions.

what if the three masked man that have shown up on recent impact taping are from wwe and this is the take down story could be hhh shane and cean ha ha ha

what if the three masked man that have shown up on recent impact taping are from wwe and this is the take down story could be hhh shane and cean ha ha ha

Not likely. I saw a report saying the masked men were James Storm, Bram, and Eddie Kingston. It just looks like another TNA stable.

Though by the time they unmask it might not be TNA anymore. I think TNA is going to be owned by WWE and Billy Corgans new company will be completely separate.

I find this a bit strange, and it makes me doubt the story.

What does this for WWE? Does it mean that they can only use footage, but nothing else? What about merchandising? Can they show the TNA name and symbol outside of the video library? For example, would 2K be allowed to have a TNA ring in future WWE video games?

Also, what happens to current TNA feuds and storylines? For example the Hardys v Decay? This is still going. So, does this mean that WWE can show some of this storyline, but not the conclusion, because it is still going? Are all storylines and feuds being ended, and new ones started from scratch?

It sounds like being half-pregnant.

Anyway, I can't see WWE lasting. Billy Corgan is the lead singer in a moderately successful indy band. It isn't like Mick Jagger buying TNA. Someone who had millions would roll the dice on this. Corgan will sink all the money he made off "Smashing Pumpkins" into the black hole that is TNA. It would save Corgan time by flushing his money straight down the toilet. It is a money pit.

Smart move by WWE, though. By having the library, when TNA goes under, WWE already have a massive foothold, since they own the IP, and this will put them far ahead of any other bidder.

WWE owning TNA outright. It's not a case of IF, it's a case of WHEN!

Actually if billy is going to be majority owner and rebrand tna, i think it was a damn good decision by everyone involved. WWE gets "TNA" and the new brand starts fresh, it's a win-win i think

Actually if billy is going to be majority owner and rebrand tna, i think it was a damn good decision by everyone involved. WWE gets "TNA" and the new brand starts fresh, it's a win-win i think

But I was hoping that WWE would sign some of TNA's talent as well. Some could go to NXT, Madison Rayne and others can be added to the Divas, and you could even sign the Hardys back.

I never thought this scenario could work, but here it is allegedly. Even though the main page is reporting it, doesn't make it a done deal until official announcements come from TNA and WWE.

If they sell the tapes, they need to keep parts of certain storylines alive. There will undoubtedly be a clear indication of what's what. For example maybe WWE gets all TNA tapes from 2015 and before, Billy Corgan gets 2016 but can't show the TNA or IMPACT names or logos as those will now be WWE intellectual property.

Thus Corgan keeps enough tape for current storylines and keeps going. I wonder what this would mean for James Storm? His whole career on tape would belong to WWE. What happens to TNA's unnecessary Hall of Fame?

There's obviously a ton of logistical little bits but none of them really sound like deal breakers from my end. The best part of this deal is that Corgan can keep another non-WWE North American alternative for wrestlers to work and make a decent wage (hopefully).

The TNA tapes have no value to a failing company. If they go under, what was the point of keeping them? The TNA and Impact brands are tainted despite their programming being quite excellent through 2016. Everyone remember Jarrett, Dixieland, and the mess Hogan and Bischoff left.

Rebranding makes complete and total sense. You ditch the bad stuff of the past and you keep moving forward. You sadly lose all the tape libraries that you could monetize later, but what are they doing for the dying company now? You have to chop off a finger to save the whole hand sometimes.

This could work, but how much is WWE paying when they only paid a lousy $2,000,000 for WCW? How much of a cash injection is buying the tape library really going to be and if Billy has enough to buy TNA, why hasn't he?

Maybe Dixie and the rest are trying to stay in the picture, thus stopping Corgan. The smart thing for him is to get them and all past debt off the table for his purchase.

This deal looks really good on paper but asks a lot more questions than it answers. Imagine if WWE bought the WCW library but not WCW? Sounds weird, right?

Not likely. I saw a report saying the masked men were James Storm, Bram, and Eddie Kingston. It just looks like another TNA stable.

Though by the time they unmask it might not be TNA anymore. I think TNA is going to be owned by WWE and Billy Corgans new company will be completely separate.

It still is going to stay as T NA and be called TNA Impact Wrestling there is no indication wwe bought the TNA library and TNA has a history which is under TNA Ownership and she stated she won t sell as she is the majority shareholder
so I don t know who is cooking up these false rumors but it is getting tiresome

Where and who the hell lol is making this stuff up? There is no indication of wwe wanting to buy TNA library so quit making this stuff up unless I see proof of that I already contacted TNA and even went on twitter they have no knowledge or idea of this false rumor being spread out. Dixie Carter is still majority stakeholder and she stated the TNA library is not for sale and is under TNA ownership! So what is this crap of wwe getting it ? wwe has no interest in the library and TNA won t change names either TNA has a history and it will grow and be more recognizable so rebranding will ruin everything TNA stands for and who they are.
I leave with you what wrestlezone wrote about Dixie Carter than they contradict themselves

October 4, 2016
image: http://www.wrestlezone.com/assets/uploads/2016/04/dixie-carter-copy-1.jpg

dixie carter
(Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

According to PWInsider.com, TNA Chairman Dixie Carter held a talent meeting backstage at last night’s TNA Impact Wrestling tapings. During the meeting, Carter took questions from the talents, and addressed a number of current issues.

One of the questions asked by talents regarded late pay, and Carter explained that sometimes pay is late because TNA is waiting on money owed to the company so that they can pay out the talents.

On reports of WWE potentially purchasing TNA, Carter acknowledged WWE wanted to purchase the company, but she said she would not let that happen. She added the TNA tape library is still under TNA ownership.

Read Also: Backstage Update on TNA’s Future Following Bound for Glory, Latest on a Possible TNA Sale, Billy Corgan & WWE

Carter also reaffirmed that she is still the majority share holder in TNA, but she did say there has been some “in-fighting” and power struggle amongst company owners.

With regards to Bound for Glory, Carter admitted the company “scrambled” leading up to the PPV, but said the PPV was never “not going to happen.”

Overall, Carter reportedly acted surprised that people in TNA were so “up in arms” about the status of the company, but she did apologize if there has been concern or worry on behalf of talents and employees. At the end of the day, the general feeling in the locker room is that while there remains concern regarding the future of the company, there was respect for Carter stepping up and addressing the locker room

Read more at http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/761...s-tna-power-struggle-more#XRMMcEJzDipS1jgm.99

It still is going to stay as T NA and be called TNA Impact Wrestling there is no indication wwe bought the TNA library and TNA has a history which is under TNA Ownership and she stated she won t sell as she is the majority shareholder
so I don t know who is cooking up these false rumors but it is getting tiresome

Seriously there is no reason to get your panties in a bunch over this. And I have no idea why you are surprised that this is even being talked about. It is not rumour that the Carter's want to get rid of TNA and have for a long time, Panda Energy, their company, stopped funding it a couple of years ago.

Dixie Carter might be a nice person, but she is a horrible businesswoman, who quite honestly has no idea what the hell she is doing. She has as Shane McMahon said "Driven it into the ground".

For over 4 years or more there has always been some sort of rumour swirling that TNA isn't doing well and might go under. They have had a problem paying their staff, and have cancelled tours simply because they didn't have the funds to do them.

The best thing that could happen to the this company is that someone else buy them out. I don't care how they do it, but they need to get this company out of the hands of Dixie Carter immediately. There are men and woman that rely on their paychecks from her to pay their bills, and she either doesn't care enough to make sure they get them on time, or doesn't have the resources anymore to do it.

Seriously there is no reason to get your panties in a bunch over this. And I have no idea why you are surprised that this is even being talked about. It is not rumour that the Carter's want to get rid of TNA and have for a long time, Panda Energy, their company, stopped funding it a couple of years ago.

Dixie Carter might be a nice person, but she is a horrible businesswoman, who quite honestly has no idea what the hell she is doing. She has as Shane McMahon said "Driven it into the ground".

For over 4 years or more there has always been some sort of rumour swirling that TNA isn't doing well and might go under. They have had a problem paying their staff, and have cancelled tours simply because they didn't have the funds to do them.

The best thing that could happen to the this company is that someone else buy them out. I don't care how they do it, but they need to get this company out of the hands of Dixie Carter immediately. There are men and woman that rely on their paychecks from her to pay their bills, and she either doesn't care enough to make sure they get them on time, or doesn't have the resources anymore to do it.

Buddy where do you get yoru information from? Why not calm your hormones just because wwe bought WCW , ECW, AWA, USWA, Smokey Mountain Wrestling you think they will buy out TNA, ROH and Lucha Underground! SUPER! Then no wrestling fan will watch wwe period!
Also if you didn t read what I wrote up there I ll post it here again
Just cause you think TNA had some major setbacks and Ditzy Carter is unreliable doesn t make her incompetent they have more money than mc moron and Panda Energy is still funding TNA along with Billy Corgan if anything TNA should buy out ROH and unite with Sinclair Group to protect themselves from beng bought out by wwe!

According to PWInsider.com, TNA Chairman Dixie Carter held a talent meeting backstage at last night’s TNA Impact Wrestling tapings. During the meeting, Carter took questions from the talents, and addressed a number of current issues.

One of the questions asked by talents regarded late pay, and Carter explained that sometimes pay is late because TNA is waiting on money owed to the company so that they can pay out the talents.

On reports of WWE potentially purchasing TNA, Carter acknowledged WWE wanted to purchase the company, but she said she would not let that happen. She added the TNA tape library is still under TNA ownership.

Carter also reaffirmed that she is still the majority share holder in TNA, but she did say there has been some “in-fighting” and power struggle amongst company owners.

With regards to Bound for Glory, Carter admitted the company “scrambled” leading up to the PPV, but said the PPV was never “not going to happen.”

Overall, Carter reportedly acted surprised that people in TNA were so “up in arms” about the status of the company, but she did apologize if there has been concern or worry on behalf of talents and employees. At the end of the day, the general feeling in the locker room is that while there remains concern regarding the future of the company, there was respect for Carter stepping up and addressing the locker room

Buddy where do you get yoru information from? Why not calm your hormones just because wwe bought WCW , ECW, AWA, USWA, Smokey Mountain Wrestling you think they will buy out TNA, ROH and Lucha Underground! SUPER! Then no wrestling fan will watch wwe period!

They bought them out because they were either for sale at the time or they wanted them. There has been no indication that Lucha Underground or ROH are up for sale, or having money issues, TNA is and has for a long time now. And as I said it is no secret that Panda Energy wants shod of them. They are not funding them, that's why the pay is late and they are having trouble finding the money to even do tapings.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/679...s-panda-energy-still-funding-the-company-more

I will still watch.

Also if you didn t read what I wrote up there I ll post it here again
Just cause you think TNA had some major setbacks and Ditzy Carter is unreliable doesn t make her incompetent they have more money than mc moron and Panda Energy is still funding TNA along with Billy Corgan if anything TNA should buy out ROH and unite with Sinclair Group to protect themselves from beng bought out by wwe!

I read what you wrote and it came from a dirtsheet. Now if it had been from an actual employee of TNA that was on a podcast, that would be a different story. Dixie Carter will tell people what they want to hear so they don't jump ship right now. But you don't think that TNA is being sold either whole or partitioned off then you my friend are not up with the latest news.

I find this a bit strange, and it makes me doubt the story.

What does this for WWE? Does it mean that they can only use footage, but nothing else? What about merchandising? Can they show the TNA name and symbol outside of the video library? For example, would 2K be allowed to have a TNA ring in future WWE video games?

Also, what happens to current TNA feuds and storylines? For example the Hardys v Decay? This is still going. So, does this mean that WWE can show some of this storyline, but not the conclusion, because it is still going? Are all storylines and feuds being ended, and new ones started from scratch?

It sounds like being half-pregnant.

Anyway, I can't see WWE lasting. Billy Corgan is the lead singer in a moderately successful indy band. It isn't like Mick Jagger buying TNA. Someone who had millions would roll the dice on this. Corgan will sink all the money he made off "Smashing Pumpkins" into the black hole that is TNA. It would save Corgan time by flushing his money straight down the toilet. It is a money pit.

Smart move by WWE, though. By having the library, when TNA goes under, WWE already have a massive foothold, since they own the IP, and this will put them far ahead of any other bidder.

WWE owning TNA outright. It's not a case of IF, it's a case of WHEN!
Where do you get your information? Find me a link that Corgan sold teh TNA library and will rebrand TNA any link but here! Your speculations and rumors have no emphasis whatsoever

Why would Corgan buy TNA if his just going to rebrand it and not take ownership of the tape library?

Or he's getting from TNA is acquiring the debt that comes with it.

He's probably just be buying out the contracts and securing the TV and PPV deals.

I suppose WWE will be interested in a few key talents as there roster is very thin at the moment.

I hope Corgan does create a whole different brand with a much better logo and titles.

Those belts are pretty ugly.

Maybe Corgan will declare bankruptcy on TNA, change its name and the debt disappears.

Businesses do it all the time. All a company that is bleeding money does is declare itself bankrupt, then start again under a new name. Legally, the new company can't be sued for the old debt.

Maybe Corgan figures by totally rebranding the company, then he doesn't have to worry about the debt. It's creative accounting at work.

Maybe Corgan will declare bankruptcy on TNA, change its name and the debt disappears.

Businesses do it all the time. All a company that is bleeding money does is declare itself bankrupt, then start again under a new name. Legally, the new company can't be sued for the old debt.

Maybe Corgan figures by totally rebranding the company, then he doesn't have to worry about the debt. It's creative accounting at work.

Kinda..... but that's not quite how it works. You don't simply get a freebie for changing your name.

What would happen in the scenario discussed in this thread is that both the WWE and Billy Corgan would be able to say they 'bought' TNA, with that not quite being true but also being true in a sense. The WWE would purchase the video library, along with the trademarks or usage rights. (There's no sense in buying their video library if you can't call it what it is.) Billy Corgan would purchase the remaining assets of any value from what we'll call "old TNA", leaving "old TNA" with the debt they've accumulated. "Old TNA" would then declare bankruptcy and shut down, with the creditors left to scramble for what they can; "New TNA" would be formed from the assets of "old TNA".

Well, it doesn't quite just disappear. When a company declares bankruptcy, there is a legal process. There is a procedure to assign voting rights to the different creditors, based on size and type of debt.

In a liquidation (ECW), the court organizes a sale of whatever assets can be sold for whatever can be gotten for them (WWE's purchase of the library, trademarks, etc). Whatever money comes in is distributed.

In a reorganization (GM, in a modified way), some entity comes in with new money or new financing to pay off (at least in part) the old creditors, who are often compensated with partial ownership in the new entity.

One thing about either process: It takes a long time for anybody to get paid anything.

One thing about the reorganization process: The creditors have the right to block the plan and may force a liquidation.

But very often, the owners of the old debt are the owners of the new company. (The management may or may not stay the same)

It doesnt' work that way. If Corgan wants to just walk away from Dixie Carter TNA's debts, then he has to walk away from the POPtv and Sony India and ??? UK TV contracts, the Impact Zone, the PPV contracts, etc. And I strongly suspect that some of TNA's major creditors are their TV and production partners, maybe the Hardys if TNA signed them for big money in 2009.

I don't know how much sense this makes to me. I've taken a couple of days to think about it and the more I do so, the less sense it seems to make.

I totally understand that the WWE now sports a few of the best talents in the TNA alumni. And buying the tape library gives them a chance to make a little bit more of that. TNA also held a few WWE legends in Kurt Angle, Jeff and Matt Hardy and Sting. But I just don't think that there is enough in that to justify buying the library.

Don't get me wrong, TNA has had many good periods where they have been pretty entertaining. But I'd imagine that there is no way that the WWE can make people want to watch it. And if the price of the network is going up, I don't think this addition really makes it all that worth it. TNA is dead and the WWE are going to put their old shows on the network? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What's the attraction there? More often that not, WWE fans don't actually care about TNA. So getting them to care about a dead promotions tape library is going to be challenging.

I just don't get it.

I really thought that the WWE would have liked some of the talent to try and add some more depth to their rosters, especially Smackdown. There are a few talents in TNA that would be welcome (back) and would add another dimension to the WWE. But buying the library seems strange given that they could have bolstered their ranks.

I guess I'll wait and see what shakes loose before criticising it any further.

I totally understand that the WWE now sports a few of the best talents in the TNA alumni. And buying the tape library gives them a chance to make a little bit more of that. TNA also held a few WWE legends in Kurt Angle, Jeff and Matt Hardy and Sting. But I just don't think that there is enough in that to justify buying the library.

I understand the logic of what you're saying. But looking at the record, WWE/Vince McMahon paid $3M for the AWA tape library. Apparently he/they have a standing offer of $500 per hour of footage.

If the AWA library is worth $3M, then the TNA library with tape of Styles, Joe, Roode, STing, Angle, the Dudleys, the Hardyz, X-division guys who could easily pop up as Cruiserweights is definitely worth $1M (maybe $1.5M, I did the rough math a few days ago but completely forgot about Xplosion)

It's chump change to WWE set up against uncertain future returns. Alternately, McMAhon might just be playing tape library Pokemon (gotta catch em all).

Don't get me wrong, TNA has had many good periods where they have been pretty entertaining. But I'd imagine that there is no way that the WWE can make people want to watch it. And if the price of the network is going up, I don't think this addition really makes it all that worth it. TNA is dead and the WWE are going to put their old shows on the network? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What's the attraction there? More often that not, WWE fans don't actually care about TNA. So getting them to care about a dead promotions tape library is going to be challenging.

Well, there's the obvious case of DVDs or extended Raw/SD packages for Styles heading into a PPV headlining match. Same for Joe, Roode or Aries if they get promoted to main-event status.

It's hard to value programs on WWE Network--would TNA programming bring new subscribers in? Doubtful. Would it make current subscribers even happier? Many of them. Will it keep them subscribing longer than otherwise? Nobody knows. On the other hand, with a business like WWE Network, you have to be very careful of a penny-pinching short-term cost-benefit analysis--by the time you have data showing that customers aren;t happy, they're likely gone for good.

I really thought that the WWE would have liked some of the talent to try and add some more depth to their rosters, especially Smackdown. There are a few talents in TNA that would be welcome (back) and would add another dimension to the WWE. But buying the library seems strange given that they could have bolstered their ranks.

3-4 talents doesn't justify buying a company that's liable to fold any minute anyway. REally, how many guys are we really talking about, and do you really see them walking into main-event spots on Raw/Smackdown? Even AJ Styles had NJPW titles, so that WWE could justify his spot saying "competed and won titles all around the world."

Lashley? When last seen by WWE fans, he was ECW champion, which translates to US/IC title level.
EC3? Drew GAlloway? Eddie Edwards? James STorm? All guys who would be either headed to NXT or would be midcard/lower-card depth on Raw or Smackdown. You're not buying TNA to get those guys.

Yes, the HArdys. Who come with their own set of issues, priorities and liabilities.

If Billy Corgan really is going to rebrand Tna, Then I think selling WWE the Video Library is a good thing, providing everything after the rebranding remains the Property of Billy corgan. Personally any deal that means we see the back of Dixie Carter is a good one in my opinion and with the great job bill has done since he took over, it would be sad to see all that end now.

From about 2006 until the arrival of Hogan, I watched TNA religiously. It was a damn good product at that time. So I've seen almost all of that stuff. After Hogan's arrival, I didn't watch much but heard there was some pretty solid stuff going on there. So I'll be somewhat excited to watch any post 2009 TNA material.

But if this then means the Network getting all of those weekly TNA PPVs prior 2004 I believe...? I'm excited. So much more content. Bring it on.

I'm not really sure if it could have worked before and I'm not really sure if it could work now but assuming this sale has been made to WWE or something like it, if it is now possible to bring out the Bully Ray character then I am all for it. SD would be a nice home for him but I don't hate the idea of him leading Festus and Anderson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back