Report: Styles, Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson Backed Out of TNA Deals?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
For the past several months, AJ and TNA were involved in serious discussions to bring him back home to TNA. Creative discussions escalated and two additional wrestlers, Drew Hankinson and Chad Allegra, were enthusiastically added.

These discussions culminated on December 14th in Nashville, Tenn., where all attended a meeting at Dixie Carter's home. A handshake and written deal between AJ, Drew, Chad and TNA was agreed upon and signed by all. Start dates were determined, creative decided, merchandise designed and plane tickets purchased.

Over the Christmas holiday, and after the lawyers finalized the long form agreement, all communication with TNA stopped.

AJ's lawyer contacted TNA and stated the wrestlers had changed their mind and would not be honoring their commitment to TNA.

http://www.tnawrestling.com/Search-Listing/item/6977-AJ-Styles

--

I can absolutely understand all three opting for WWE in place of TNA if this storyline is true. It's clear they are the premiere destination. But what I can't really get behind is if the rug got pulled out from under TNA if "handshake deal" means what it means in most lines of business — an agreement to work together. Effectively a verbal contract that tends to serve as a temporary placeholder until a formal contract is written up and signed.

From the sound of this, TNA had all three secured, but because of the lack of a formal contract, all three were able to grease their way out of the handshake deal — something often done in "good faith" — at the last second.

"No One" indeed, AJ.

Something sounds off about this.

First of all, if there was a written deal agreed to and signed, I really don't see how the NJPW guys could get out. I'd also like to know how firm that deal was. Was there an out clause? Was it a deal to do something in the future or for them to appear on TV on X dates?

However the handshake deal is where this doesn't seem to work. At the end of the day, that's little more than a spoken agreement. Hall and Nash agreed to stay in the WWF on a handshake agreement but WCW got them under written contracts. If WWE did the same thing here, there's little more TNA can do than sneer.

I'd really like to hear AJ and company's side of this. It might not be the nicest thing in the world to do, but I have an issue feeling sorry for TNA over not being able to get AJ back after their handling of him lead to them losing him in the first place.

I was under the impression that AJ and Gallows were freelance and paid per appearance and never had a NJPW contract. If that's the case, they can do as they please. Anderson, on the other hand, is a NJPW employee and will be until January 31st, wouldn't that had been contract tampering on TNA's part? I am under the assumption why the only confirmed one is Styles by WWE.

AJ is a great in ring talent but he has always been out for himself, he pretty much never puts anyone over and hates not being the centre of attention. Could be a blessing in disguise for TNA as they are putting out a pretty good product without him anyway.

I just get the feeling TNA is trying to save face here by airing this out to the public and trying to twist the narrative to make them look like they got screwed. Where there even reports that TNA was talking with these guys in December? Not that I recall (I could be wrong).

It might not be the nicest thing in the world to do, but I have an issue feeling sorry for TNA over not being able to get AJ back after their handling of him lead to them losing him in the first place.

This. So much this.

And what would that be? The guy was still offered good money for a reasonably small company and a handful of dates per year. How much would you expect them to pay him?

I just get the feeling TNA is trying to save face here by airing this out to the public and trying to twist the narrative to make them look like they got screwed. Where there even reports that TNA was talking with these guys in December? Not that I recall (I could be wrong).

This. So much this.

TNA shouldn't be surprised AJ has never been loyal to any promotion not just TNA but ROH an NJPW also. I hope he is getting a big pay day with Vince because he is burning a lot of bridges.

Wow, low blow TNA. You're a pro wrestling company not a damn dirt sheet. Here's a couple problems for TNA:

-Throwing shade at these guys just before they get a WWE contract. Not a good look.
-Yes, this is tampering with Guns & Gallows. Not a good look.
-Apparently this wasn't a contract. This was an agreement to sign with TNA. No actual contract was signed.
-TNA airs dirty laundry with regard to AJ Styles. What are TNA supposed to think?

This one is a personal question from me:
WHERE THE FUCK DID ALL THIS AJ STYLES HATE COME FROM?! Because he "sold out" to WWE? Because you people don't like New Japan? Because he's the best in the world?

I need someone to explain this to me.

Wow, low blow TNA. You're a pro wrestling company not a damn dirt sheet. Here's a couple problems for TNA:

-Throwing shade at these guys just before they get a WWE contract. Not a good look.
-Apparently this wasn't a contract. This was an agreement to sign with TNA. No actual contract was signed.
-TNA airs dirty laundry with regard to AJ Styles. What are TNA supposed to think?

WHERE THE FUCK DID ALL THIS AJ STYLES HATE COME FROM?! Because he "sold out" to WWE? Because you people don't like New Japan? Because he's the best in the world?

Here's the deal man, even though there was no contract signed if you give someone your word you are still expected to honour it. If you don't it is a bad look and people will think less of you. As for AJ being the best in the world, he may have been one of the best in the world when he was in his prime, to say he is the best in the world at the moment is ludicrous.

Would just be another TNA screw up by not playing by the rules of getting things in writing.

I don't see the problem here. Really I don't

Looking at the situation from AJ's side, he never did anything wrong. He never signed any active competitor contract with TNA Wrestling and decided to go to WWE instead. Whats wrong with that? It may sound scummy to you but to me its just a smart business decision.

There's no loyalty in the professional wrestling business. All talents are motivated to find a stable position and make the most money they can in the shortest possible time because their time as a professional wrestler is limited. Every wrestler retires in some fashion; that is to say their worth is like a bell curve over the time they wrestle (assuming they have skills). Everyone starts out doing the "handshake and a hot dog" routine at the beginning of their career, and if they stick with it, hopefully people see their worth as an asset to their company and when that happens negotiations happen to which many wrestlers see they get paid more and more for their perceived value. When they hit 40 plus, thats when normally their value decreases due to the fact that they aren't who they used to be anymore and cant do the same things they used to. Look at Sting if you want to argue for loyalty. The only major superstar of WCW couldn't hold out forever and took a deal with WWE too; probably due to money issues. Is everyone who wants to look for a better deal elsewhere bad for doing so? I don't think so. Money makes the world go round.

Back to my point, AJ, Gallows, and Anderson have paid their dues and I feel they should be free to find the best deals they can while they can. If you are a true wrestler, you need to put food on your family's table ASAP because you never know when your career will be cut short. As long as they never put their John Handcocks on legal print, they did nothing wrong. It's all well and good to show respect to companies who made you a star, but let's be honest here...AJ was made a star by TNA, but after that God awful Claire Lynch storyline, I'm surprised that it didn't kill his career much like the Katie Vick/Kane/Triple H angle did for Glenn Jacobs. And by kill his career, I meant being seen as a main eventer/high carder...as I'm well aware he's still gainfully employed with WWE

I'm just getting the feeling that it's all sour grapes by TNA here because they couldn't sign a major pro wrestling free agent...again..., and want to get back at him for not wanting to rejoin their company who made him in the 1st place. In my opinion it all goes down to money and AJ can do what he wants because he is a smart businessman who knows how to get the most out of his perceived value. Honestly though, they need to work out a way to actually get talents they want to sign on the dotted line when they can and are contractually free to do so, as it's like they can't sign anyone lately who has big star power like an AJ Styles or an ADR, and when they actually do sign someone there's always an issue dealing with contracts such as now with AJ and the Bullet Club, or back with Hernandez during the BDC angle.

Again...I still don't understand the hate towards AJ for this move.

Shock Horror... Pro Wrestlers break the "handshake code" of the business... it's not like it has never happened.

Dixie didn't get the deal SIGNED... she clearly had an idea Vince would make a play and that whole "hand gesture" lawsuit comes into play a lot... make no mistake WWE could very likely use the Bullet Club name... they guys had the right to meet Vince or Hunter or both and to choose... they didn't choose to sign Dixie's contract...

TNA just torpedoed itself by trying to claim legal impropriety... every one of those guys CAN sue her/them if not true... they won't cos Vince will say not to... but the moral victory for TNA is gone...

Here's the deal man, even though there was no contract signed if you give someone your word you are still expected to honour it. If you don't it is a bad look and people will think less of you. As for AJ being the best in the world, he may have been one of the best in the world when he was in his prime, to say he is the best in the world at the moment is ludicrous.

He just won WON awards Most Outstanding Wrestler and Wrestler of the Year, seems like a pretty good indication that he is indeed the best wrestler in the world currently.

OT. As for this this seems like sour grapes on TNA's side and a desperate attempt to get some sympathy from who ever will listen. TNA had all the time in the world to secure AJ, Gallows and Anderson but couldn't do it. There's clearly more to it and TNA knows that. No Sympathy and no ill feelings towards Styles, Gallows and Anderson.

It's all on TNA. Nothing is set in stone until there's ink on the paper. That's wrestling 101 and it's been going on for decades. Wrestlers go where they feel it's best for them. TNA was absolutely stupid in releasing this because it makes them look both incompetent and petty. Clearly they learned nothing from Alberto Del Rio who was also not under contract when WWE took him from AAA. That's why they never bad mouthed him. He was never secure and WWE offered more than what they had.

Speaking of idiots, it reminds me of what a former promoter did when he had Alberto Del Rio as the WWL World Champion. Paying him $5000 in advance with just a handshake deal. Del Rio did not like the deal but he already had the money given. So what the hell? He took it. There was no contract attached. It was just handed to him. Same thing here with TNA making merch and buying tickets without anything being final. Nothing learned from Booker T and Kevin Nash bailing on them in 2011 clearly.

TNA shouldn't be surprised AJ has never been loyal to any promotion not just TNA but ROH an NJPW also. I hope he is getting a big pay day with Vince because he is burning a lot of bridges.

The hell are you talking about?? "AJ has never been loyal to any promotion." He's spent most of the best years of his professional career in TNA, has re-signed with TNA, turned down offers from other companies in the past to stay with TNA. AJ Styles was considered the heart and soul of TNA Wrestling, so I find it difficult to call someone disloyal when he spends a decade doing everything he possibly can to help build up the company.

As for the topic of a handshake deal, handshake deals mean nothing in the real world. I know we'd all like to live in some world where life is like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting where everyone gets along, there are no troubles in the world and we all live in some idyllic small town, but we don't and TNA has been in business long enough to know how it should conduct business deals.

If you don't get your deals done in writing, namely by having contracts signed, then you're playing with fire because you have no legal recourse. If any of this is even true, it's not as though AJ Styles owes TNA anything and Styles would hardly be the first wrestler to back out of a handshake agreement. I don't know if they were expecting Styles to flounder and figured they could get him back later on for relatively cheap but, IF that was the hope of some in the TNA front office, then it pretty much blew up in their face.

Like I said in the IS Support thread, I'm stuck somewhere between "sounds like sour grapes" and "TNA got dicked".

I will say this much — even if they did get dicked, I'm not sure what they gain by publishing this, except to alienate Styles... again.

I see TNA going to court against wwe cause an agreement whether written or verbal has grounds and if they had agreed verbally they cannot change their minds ! Its like getting an apt without a lease and agreeing to pay every month until the next month you change your mind and say I won t pay anymore does not cut it! TNA should win over this

What I read was they agreed to work for TNA and then backed out. Styles management team has said, according to the main page, there was never any contract signed. So I guess he's free to do what he wants and go where he pleases.

I can't get feeling TNA thought he would come back, and is now butthurt that he's not. I feel sort of sorry for them, but I wouldn't have put it out there like they did, makes them look foolish.

Let's be honest, this will all be yesterday's news in 24 hours. Like everything else TNA has ever done, it will breeze through people's minds, and wind up forgotten as quickly as it was read.

Styles' reps denied any agreement was met. This is probably just TNA trying to remind people they exist amidst the buzz around Styles, Gallows etc signing with WWE during their massive Pop TV debut.

I see TNA going to court against wwe cause an agreement whether written or verbal has grounds and if they had agreed verbally they cannot change their minds ! Its like getting an apt without a lease and agreeing to pay every month until the next month you change your mind and say I won t pay anymore does not cut it! TNA should win over this
And then you get to court, and the judge says "TNA, do you have any evidence of this verbal agreement?", Lionel Hutz says he has it in his car and he'll be right back, and the last thing you hear are tires screeching out of the parking lot.

AJ better not get rolled in WWE because if he does he has burnt all his bridges and might as well give the game away. There may not have been a contract in writing but IF he has verbally agreed to work for a company which looked after him for years and put him on the map (not to mention a company where he has lifelong freindships and which had no reason to doubt his word) and has pulled out it says a lot about him as a man.

What I don't get is there was no upside for TNA in posting what they did, right or wrong. They just come off as sad and petty and I actual watch their product frequently.

What I don't get is there was no upside for TNA in posting what they did, right or wrong. They just come off as sad and petty and I actual watch their product frequently.
I've long stopped thinking of TNA in terms of "what would the most likely move to increase the value of this asset". If TNA was completely about money (as almost all businesses are, that's the whole point), the Carters would have divested themselves of TNA in 2013.

To an extent, TNA is like many other professional wrestling promotions of years past; a large part of their existence is wrapped up in their owners getting to say that they own a professional wrestling promotion. In that regard, this little communique regarding AJ Styles makes sense from an 'ego trip' perspective, as it certainly makes none from a financial perspective.

Yo pal verbal or written agreement it counts and she has witnesses who were at her place I am sure she tape recorded the evidence as well so in court AJ Styles would lose and once he becomes a FT jobber in NXT with low pay he will be crying and apologizing to Dixie what he did wrong but by then he burnt all his bridges with ROH, NJPW and TNA! He ll suffer and be buried in wwe along with Samoa Joe and STING! Just remember when AJ Styles was a jobber in 2002 guess who rebuilt him and made him a star and known attraction TNA made him not wwe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back