Report/Rumor On WWE Recruiting Prospects

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
There are a couple of stories floating about in regards to the company recruiting new talent.

The latest bit of news, according to PWInsider.com is that WWE is very interested in bringing in Irish wrestler Prince Devitt. Devitt is best known for his success in New Japan Pro Wrestling and the story states that it's uncertain if Devitt is or isn't under contract with them. Apparently, they've been interested in Devitt for quite a while as William Regal showed a tape of a match between Pac, now Adrian Neville in NXT, and Devitt. This led to WWE going after Pac immediately and I'm assuming that they didn't approach Devitt due to him probably being under contract with New Japan. Devitt is currently on his 3rd run as IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion and he's a 6 time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion. Reportedly, he's also the current RQW Cruiserweight Champion in UK promotion, Real Quality Wrestling.

PWInsider.com also mentions that there is said to be zero interest in outgoing TNA talent at this time. The reason being that it's felt that none of them have anything to offer that WWE can't develop on their own in NXT. As we all know, TNA has released several roster members as part of cost cutting. Devon is the latest talent gone, Mr. Anderson's deal is said to expire soon and AJ Styles is currently in negotiations with TNA. The rumor mill is abuzz that Styles is closer to leaving TNA than at anytime in the past and that the current hold up is over money.

If Styles did leave, you'd think that he'd be someone WWE would be interested in bringing him. I'd be extremely surprised, however, if WWE hadn't sent feelers out to Styles at various times over the years to gauge his interest in jumping ship. He signed a 5 year deal, the one that's about to expire, and, again, it'd be surprising if WWE didn't attempt to gauge whether or not he'd be willing to ask for a release from it. So if all of that really is accurate, maybe WWE finally gave up on courting Styles. At 36 years old, Styles isn't getting any younger and maybe that's why they, allegedly, aren't courting him. Maybe the lack of interest is due to a belief that he really won't leave TNA.

Never underestimate the power of reverse psychology.

If WWE started talking about about how much they wanted AJ Styles, Devon, Kennedy, etc... TNA could all of a sudden up their offer and get into a bidding war.

If WWE says "we don't care about these guys" and they do end up leaving TNA, WWE could then sign them for less money/term, potentially.

I'm not saying that's what's happening, but just because you hear 'we aren't interested' doesn't mean that's true.

They definitely should go over Prince Devitt, that guy has star written all over, has experience and is still young. He'd be a great signing and could work with a lot of the current roster from guys like Neville, Ziggler and Punk all the way up to bigger guys like Sheamus and Cena. Might be biased because I'm Irish but I've had him pegged as the most exciting non-WWE talent in the world for a while now.

From TNA I think they're right not going after guys like Anderson, Devon, Knox etc. they'd add nothing to the product at the moment. Of the TNA guys they could take I'd even reconsider if I were them.

Look at AJ Styles. Great in-ring talent but not at all good on the mic. 10 years he was talked about as being the future of the industry but today people still talk like that about him without taking into account that he is the same age as John Cena and older than Randy Orton, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan by a few years. He'd be an asset but I don't see the WWE giving the time & energy to building his character and pushing him to the main event.

I genuinely think the success of Punk and Bryan have given the WWE their blueprint for talent. They debut, get pushed and depushed in the midcard for a few years to test how much they want it until they are given an opportunity to run with the ball. Punk did it, Bryan is doing it and I guarantee that's the way pushes will be worked now. Ziggler is still in the push/depush frustration period for example.

I don't seem them investing 4-5 years in AJ Styles when he'll be 40/41 by the time that process is complete. Same with Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Christopher Daniels, James Storm, Bobby Roode and Chris Sabin.

If their contracts are coming up WWE would do well to sign Bully Ray (built in connection with some of the audience) and Magnus.

It's no surprise that WWE would be interested in Devitt, and it'd be no surprise if they acquired him.

It's also no surprise that WWE has no interest in any TNA talent. Mario nailed it regarding AJ. People talk about AJ Styles as if he has something to offer WWE that they don't already have. He's a talented wrestler, no doubt, but WWE has an abundance of those, many of whom are significantly younger than AJ. At 36, he's likely reached his ceiling, so there's little-to-no upside. He's not a great talker, and although he's popular among the die-hard set, he isn't a draw.

Bubba Ray is useless to WWE without D-Von. Ryback has the bully market cornered.

As I said in another thread, if I were Vince McMahon, the only TNA talent I'd be the least bit interested in is Magnus. Even with him, though, there's no reason WWE should be chasing him down.

WWE shouldn't touch Devon or Anderson. Styles would be a great choice because he is guaranteed to deliver A-grade matches.

I like the idea of the WWE bringing in younger guys and developing them through NXT and their performance centre. There is no longer a desire to give money to older guys who don't offer much. They are keeping their money for part-timers that actually offer something whether it be fantastic matches and/or drawing power.

I don't seem them investing 4-5 years in AJ Styles when he'll be 40/41 by the time that process is complete. Same with Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Christopher Daniels, James Storm, Bobby Roode and Chris Sabin.

The report said wwe have no interest in tna talents whose contract expiring. So i dont think it refers to storm, roode, aries and joe. It too hard for wwe to have "zero" interest of these guys. They have proven they can wrestle, talk, and have a personality on screen. Its hard to say theres no money in storm, roode, and aries for the least. Theres too much potential in them.

As far as their ages go:
Storm and Roode are 36
Aires is 35
Joe is 34

Their age is a disadvantage but that shouldnt be the main factor not to sign IMO. Its "sports entertainment" afterall, those guys easily can compete in their mid 40s. Angle is killing it in the ring, bully ray is in his prime at early 40.

Bubba Ray is useless to WWE without D-Von. Ryback has the bully market cornered.

If vince wont sign Bully ray due to his age or hes considered a product of TNA, then thats one thing. However, to say he would be "useless" as a single competitor in wwe is BS. Bully ray is arguably the best heel in the biz.

You cant even compare the bully character between ryback and bully ray, thats an insult. Those vignette ryback segment are ok but the moment ryback grabs the mic in front of the live crowd, hes a flop.

Bully ray is arguably the best heel in the biz.

I don't find anyone the best heel in the business because he lost some weight, stopped wearing as much camo, catch phrase being "Do you know who I am?", drags out his words anytime he speaks and won a title is the best heel in the business.

Good? Yes. The best? No.

I would say he's just the best TNA has to offer in heels.

TNA has the problem where they let guys go out there and cut promos like it's in the 80's...without a script... which in concept, makes them more creative promo cutters, but can also make them vulnerable to gaffes..it can also sabotage the story, if you let them go out there and say whatever.

I've watched a few of Devitt's recent NJPW matches and I don't get the fuss over him. He does look like Daryl from The Walking Dead though and Regal rates him so maybe there's more to come once WWE mold him.

As far as the WWE not wanting TNA guys goes, I don't think that would be entirely true, those guys aren't old by pro wrestling terms and could add more to the second tier than Del Rio, Barrett and Christian IMO.

I believe AJ Styles was offered a development deal, but declined because re-locating would affect his wife's schooling. I feel like that was his chance. Nowb that it has been over a decade since then and he still has never signed with them, I feel he never will. I believe they would only use him to put on top quality matches, but never push him to the top really. Similar to how Christian (let's be honest he never would have been heavyweight champ if edge didn't have to retire) was brought in because he is a great in-ring worker. Also if they brought him in, I'm sure they wouldn't want to use the name AJ Styles. The problem is he is too known by that name and I don't think re-branding him would work (I mean look at Tensai). He's a good wrestler, but I believe he will not leave TNA.

F4WOnline.com put out a report early this morning indicating that The American Wolves, Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards, are no longer under contract with Ring of Honor. The report also says that they're expected to be at the WWE Performance Center sometime in September to participate in a weekend long talent evaluation.

There's been talk & rumors of Richards possibly heading to WWE since earlier this year after he gave a promo at a house show in which he stated he was going to "head up North" and show "who the REAL best in the world is." "Up North" is generally slang for WWE as their headquarters is in Stamford, CT and the "best in the world" is obviously a reference to CM Punk.

The American Wolves would be a fantastic addition to the WWE tag division and could provide a title feud with Rollins & Reigns that would be the best one WWE has had in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back