Rd. 1 Ironman - Ivan Koloff (RUS) vs Rocky Maivia (SAM)

Ivan Koloff vs Rocky Maivia, Ironman Match

• Ivan Koloff

• Rocky Maivia

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Ivan Koloff (RUS) vs Rocky Maivia (SAM)

This is a first round Ironman Match in the 2010 Wrestlezolympics. As a first round match, the match will last 30 minutes, and the competitor with the most falls in that time will win. If the score is tied after 30 minutes, sudden death overtime will ensue following a 45-second rest period. First fall will win from there. This match is contested under otherwise normal rules - if a wrestler is disqualified or counted-out, they will lose a fall.

The match will open for discussion on Monday, January 25th, and voting will begin on Wednesday, January 27th. This is a non-spam thread, so if you decide to post, you must provide reasons why you are backing a particular wrestler. You may vote without posting.

From what I've seen of Ivan Koloff he's a very effective wrestler, he get's the job done and then he's off. Loves the Bearhug as well, from what I can remember. I think the Bearhug is good for a submission or two, but as well as taking the wind out of your opponent it'll also give the person performing the move the shakes. Basing this purely on the one or two times I've tried to lift/move/pull/push more than I'm physically able you understand. I haven't seen anything to suggest that he's got much more in his arsenal to be utalized over the course of an hour.

Rocky Maivia has Iron Man experience, limited as it is, but he's one wrestler who's willing to lose falls in the hope he'll make them up later on.

Oh thank goodness. For a minute I thought that said ROcky Johnson and I wondered how he made this team.

This is a power guy against an athlete, and in a match based on endurance I'll go with the athlete every single time. Koloff was just straight power while Rock was an all around attack. I could see Koloff getting a fall or two, but at 15 minutes he won't be able to breathe and Rocky will be just fine.

Koloff was quite bad, wasn't he? Weren't most of his matches really short? I think so. Plus, he's a big fat Russian guy. That isn't going to bode to well for him in a match like this.

Plus, he's facing the Rock, who is a bonafide superstar. Main events of Wrestlemania, wrestling against some of the best wrestlers in the world, and all that jazz. Rock is much more talented and just plain better than Koloff here. Seems like an easy choice.

KB had it exactly right. In an Ironman match you need conditioning. Koloff was a big musclehead who would be grabbing an inhaler within a few minutes. The Rock however was a cardio king. That man could just go and go and go. He was always in the best of shape, and in a match like this. You need stamina. The easy victory goes to The Rock.

It's been said before, but why not say it again? We have a fitter faster guy going up against a power guy. Now, you might use the argument that the power guy doesnt need to have a lot of stamina, as he can get a quick few pinfalls and control the match at his pace, but the fact of the matter is, 20 minutes into the match, one of these guys is going to have hjis hands on his hips and he's going to be breathing hard, and in this case, he's going to be russian.

The Rock has shown he can go 60 minutes if he wants to and he can win at that. No wait. He lost that, but one at Backlash. Oh well, The Rock gets the victory.

Koloff might have been huge, but his matches usually topped out at about 10 minutes. The Rock lost the only iron man match he ever had, but he did have some pretty long matches in his career that he was able to win. Koloff rarely lost though, even against Sammartino most of his matches were draws. That being said, Pedro Morales was about the same size as Rock and he beat Koloff pretty easily. I'm expecting Koloff to lose this one, but I think whoever wins is coming fourth.

Koloff would have one strategy in this match, a strategy I have never seen win anyone a match. He would apply the early wear down moves in hopes that he could pick up a few wins early, and the Rock wouldn't be able to come back.

But the Rock is smarter than that, although I do question his in ring smarts. Ivan would look on his Russian bear killer, and the Rock wanting to escaape early would tap out. This could leave to an Ivan beat down. But this offense isnt lasting to the ten minute mark. If Ivan is up 3-0, its not safe. If hes up 5-0 its not safe. The rock woul djust chip away at that, and in a fashion that only the Rock has, he would hit the Rock Bottom, People's Elbow, lift Ivans leg with 3 seconds lift to assure himsel the win.

Quite simply, Koloff is outmatched here. He was only put in this spot because the spot had to be filled. The Rock can sneeze on him in this match and get a pinfall.

Koloff is just outmatched. Rocky, as much as we all hate to admit it, was a tremendous in-ring performer. Even thought he's most known for his mic skills, we should never forget that it was his in-ring skills and big-man agility that got him noticed by Pat Paterson. The Rock was trained old-school style by his dad and it really showed in the ring. Ivan Koloff was never a poet in the ring... he just can't win here.

Anyone who thinks Mr. Maivia is going to go down to the big Ruskie has to be a biased smark for Koloff. Rocky is a man who is very close in matching the big man game with Ivan, but he has the agility and the athleticism to go the distance of an Ironman match. Sure, Ivan could dominate Rocky for the start of the match and gain the upper hand, but by the end of it, Rocky would still have some gas left in the tank to kick out. Koloff in the same situation could kick out, but he'd be too tired.

Rocky Maivia advances here.

Rocky has to win here. Koloff is barely average, and Rock is miles above that. Koloff may pick up a surprise win early, but over the course of 30 minutes, I'm fairly sure we'll see Rocky pick up 3, maybe 4 wins...Depending on how long he trash talks on the mic, or showboats around the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back