Race To A Heel Turn: AJ Styles vs. John Cena

Which would benefit more from a heel turn?

• AJ Styles and TNA

• John Cena and WWE

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanye South

YEP YEP YEP WHAT IT DO
I think it's safe to say that John Cena and AJ Styles are the most over people in wrestling right now. AJ gets more pops than guys like Angle and Joe, and Cena manages to just barely scrape out more cheers than that wrestling savior, Hornswoggle. And Cena and Styles are the "leaders" of their respective armies in WWE and TNA. Now we have all seen the annoying endless threads about a John Cena heel turn in the WWE Sections, and we have all mocked those who say stupid shit like, "He's so shit now, make him heel or fire him!", right? Of course we have. But, have we ever thought to see if this is true?

Same with AJ Styles. Right now he's very over by TNA standards, and probably the most over in his company. With Ric Flair coming in, AJ will get more fan support, and probably rival Cena in cheer volume by the end of 2010. But, is there now a race to see who can turn heel first?

When Hogan turned, it was big. When Austin turned, it was big. So when AJ or Cena turns, it will definitely be big. But what company will do it first? Let's look at what will happen if WWE does it first.

WWE has most likely held back on a Cena heel turn because they're afraid of merchandise sells. They axed the idea of John Cena vs. Undertaker for WM26 because they were afraid of turning Cena heel. They don't want to end the relationship they have with Cena and the fans. But, have they ever thought about how great that would make the company? When Hogan turned with the nWo, there was always a sea of black nWo shirts in the crowd. Orton, Edge, and Jericho often get cheered because of their fan support, despite being heels. And we certainly can't forget The Rock, who constantly berated the fans as a heel, but still was considered a face all around. So if they turn Cena heel, give him freedom on the mic to say what he wants, and maybe a more expanded moveset, we could see the days similar to the Attitude Era where the crowd had a mind of its own and wasn't told who to cheer for. A Cena heel turn could give Raw and WWE a ratings boost, give the fans new feuds and storylines, end all doubt of Cena's ability in the ring and on the mic, and most importantly make Raw interesting again. Sounds good right? Let's look at what an AJ heel turn could do for TNA.

AJ Styles is one of the most over people in wrestling right now. You may not be able to hear it due to TNA's shitty production values and the fact that 30 % of their audience are fat soccer moms trying to get their kids to shut the fuck up - but he's over. The fact that TNA has to force people to wear wrestling shirts is a testament to how amazing it is that AJ manages to get cheers every week. With Ric Flair coming in as AJ's manager/mentor, AJ will continue to gain fan support, and by the end of the year become just as over as Cena. But, just as all Mentor/Mentee relationships end up, AJ must turn on Flair. What would be the ramifications for TNA? I see AJ getting better mic skills as a result because Styles wouldn't have to act like a bitch when he has to talk shit to an opponent. I could see Styles becoming a more interesting character because of it. And lastly, I could see TNA iMPACT getting a ratings boost because Styles doesn't have the personality of a douchey cunt, and a heel turn would shock the fans. TNA also has less to lose because they don't have very high merchandise sells anyway.

So obviously, a Styles or Cena heel turn could have great effects on both companies, but which would benefit more? And also, do you feel that there's a race of some sorts to turn Cena or Styles heel?

Absolutely Cena should turn heel but it will never happen. I would have loved to see heel Cena vs Undertaker. That match would be epic face vs face but heel vs face has a much better sound to it with those two involved.

WWE wouldn't really benefit. Only grown up wrestling fans or IWC people would want it to happen. Vince can't see past the end of his bank account so while it would be epic, it just wont be happening any time soon. Cena turning heel may mean the end of the PG era and that isnt ending for a long time yet.

AJ showed great charisma as a heel but his popularity is at an all time high. He has an incredible likeability to him, which will be key to TNA reaching new fans. His work represents a peak in his career on all fronts. A heel turn wouldn't be disasterous but it would be unneeded. I have no desire to see AJ vs Flair. And there are much better candidates for a heel turn in TNA.

Cena needs to turn heel so badly. People hate him.

The only people cheering for Cena are the kiddies. The thing with Cena is that Vince sees him selling so many shirts and hats that he won't switch him.

We'll get heel Cena when TNA starts pushing the WWE.

If Cena had come to RAW on the 4th and made a heel turn, I still would be kicking myself today. Like you said, if Cena turns heel, he would still be over with most of the crowd. Without a face Cena, RAW would be empty of a huge face, thus pushing up and turning an up and coming WWE wrestler. Maybe have somebody like John Morrison fued with Cena. With a heel that kids will never completely hate, and a face that everybody loves, I just might watch RAW again.

I am glad one the options was neither. I think it would be terrible to turn either one of these guys. AJ is a good in-ring guy, which automatically puts you over the top with the fans. But he does lack a bit on the mic, and great heels HAVE to great mic workers. As for Cena, I don't care what you do with him. Fire him, turn him heel, put him as the ring announcer. He is useless to me, but they will keep him face, like someone said earlier in this thread, because of merchandise sales. That is what keeps him around PERIOD. I have been to five live events featuring Cena, and he has been booed out of the building each time. He is not over with the fans as a whole, he is over with the kids. And kids are still innocent enough to dislike a wrestler because he turns heel, so they have to keep him face.

So obviously, a Styles or Cena heel turn could have great effects on both companies, but which would benefit more? And also, do you feel that there's a race of some sorts to turn Cena or Styles heel?

I'd say that Cena turning heel would benefit WWE more than TNA turning AJ heel, but it depends on him turning at the right time. If TNA reaches WCW's level of a threat to WWE, then that is when I think a Cena heel turn would be coming because he has been a face at the top of the company for years and his turn would be huge, almost as big as Stone Cold's. He could address the fans who boo him saying he is sick of them doing so all the time, and lots of newcomers who are faces could try to get matches against him, like newcomer heels did when he was champion a couple of years ago. It won't benefit WWE nearly as much if they don't wait for the right moment though because once they turn Cena, that's it! They would have used up their biggest turn in years. They are likely saving it for when they really need it, and that would be a smart move.

Both Cena and Styles are doing very well in their respective roles as the face of their federation. I voted "neither" in the poll because I doubt that either one of them is going to turn anytime soon. I also do not think there is a "competition to turn them heel faster" of any sorts. That would be silly as both federations should not turn their top face until the time is right. Look at Hogan and Stone Cold's turns, they were two of the biggest ever. Cena's (and to a lesser extent, Styles too) could be almost as big if they wait for the right time to do it. If I must pick one, then I would say Cena because he has been a face for years and enough fans boo him to justify a turn.... but like I said.... it would be for the best if a heel turn from either one of them did not come until the time is right and the federation needed it.... AND a new top face would have to be ready to step up in their place too. Neither WWE nor TNA have anyone like that who would be ready to replace Cena/Styles yet.

I voted neither, especially with Styles since to me he is like Sting. I cannot see him as a heel, or maybe when I did see him as a heel TNA did not book him properly as one. He was Kurt Angle's bitch when he was a heel and I thought that was kind of lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back