R.I.P. Captain Lou Albano (1933-2009) *NON-SPAM*

I started watching wrestling right around the time Captain Lou Albano was leaving. At a young age he was one of my early favorites. His was my favorite action figure to play with and my favorite character in the Hulk Hogan’s Rock n Wrestling cartoon. With the crazy t-shirts, the beard, and the rubber bands, he just stood out. I know he was a great manager, but that was a little before my time. The memories I have of Albano are thanks mostly to old Coliseum Videos and WWE Classics on Demand. He was one of the major stars of the old Tuesday Night Titians show. That show certainly has its critics, but Albano was always entertaining on it. Sadly most of the people who I remember as regulars on that show have since passed on. It seemed that every week either Albano, Freddie Blassie, or The Fabulous Moolah was a guest. And of course Lord Alfred Hayes was always there. Those guys were able to take something cheesy like Tuesday Night Titans and make it entertaining. Whether Albano was giving us baking lessons or taking George Steele to a quack shrink, Albano always kept the fans entertained. He will be missed.

I am 30 and I never saw Albano in his prime. Managing the Headshrinkers or the Rock N' Wrestling which he was like the 1st face manager I remember but wasn't anything classic. I think everyone in his memory should go on youtube and find vintage (70's) footage of him or even earlier of him wrestling to understand him. I definitely will to get a feel of his impact.

I would honestly guess that 75% of the people here would learn a lot about his impact from watching his videos.

I have some very fond memories watching Captain Lou Albano when i was a kid. I remember when Hulk Hogan returned in 1983 to the WWE to team with Bob Backlund against the Wild Samoans who were managed by Captain Lou, and i remember Hogan getting a hold of the Captain at the end of the match. Then there was Captain Lou appearing in Cyndi Laupers clip of Girls Just Want to Have Fun. I also was a big fan of Hulk Hogan's Rock N' Wrestling and Captain Lou's character had some memorable moments, including the episode solely about the Captain called Captain Lou's Crash Diet. Here Hulk tried to train the Captain, and during the course of the training program the Captain would never cooperate, always trying to sneak a hotdog or a hamburger in when he should have been dieting and exercising. One of my favourite all time movies stars Captain Lou and Danny DeVito, and it is called Wise Guys! Captain Lou plays the character of Mr Akavano, and does a great job at it. I recommend this movie to anyone who has not seen it. Very funny!! One of my first action figures was of Captain Lou, and i bought it about 20 years ago. It was the rubber action figure. Still got it in the garage. RIP Captain Lou Albano. Thank you for entertaining us for so many years!

I like Many of you Grew up Watching Wrestling In the 80's when Captian Lou was Around i remember seeing some of the movies he was in and he did a tremendous job and he will be greatly missed. he was one of the top 5 mangers of all time. The People he Manged went to greater Lengths in there Careers.

R.I.P Captian LOU

Than's made me really sad!

I remember wathching him as a child, and he was so entertaining.

He was such a great character!

RIP Captain Lou!

This is a bit late in coming from me, but I very much remember the Capt. as a heel manager in wwe(then wwf). Although I hated him back then, in retrospet, it is no exaggeration to call this man the greatest manager in pro wrestling history. His role in putting Jimmy Snuka WAAAY over as a face was instrumental. The guy delivered absolutely insane promos, and he could take a pretty decent bump too. R.I.P. Lou, you'll be missed by all of us older fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back