Potential: Richie Steamboat

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
richie_lg1_display_image.jpg

Richie Steamboat

After the success of the original "Potential" thread based on Trent Barreta in the Smackdown section, I've decided to make them a regular feature, in an attempt to both get talent within the WWE lower ranks, WWE development system and the independant scene a bit of noterity on the boards

This second breakdown, is on the son of Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Richard Jr. Better known as Richie Steamboat.

Richie Steamboat debuted at the age of 19 after four months of training in Harley Race's World Wrestling League facility, being trained by Race himself, his father and former NWA Jobber, George South. Steamboat made his debut in 2008 in little-know indy promotion Premiere Wrestling Showcase defeating South's son. After competing in various independant promotions across America, Steamboat went overseas to Japan and secured a contract with Pro Wrestling NOAH where he received rave reviews and noterity for his skills.

Steamboat eventually found himself in the WWE, working in their development territory Florida Championship Wrestling. Steamboat would miss some time, but on his return shot up with wins over some main roster WWE talent, including Justin Gabriel at the time. Steamboat captured the FCW Tag Team Championships with known independant wrestling talent Tyler Black, aka Seth Rollins, before their team end, sparring off into what has produced some five star matches in the WWE Development territory.

[YOUTUBE]rvW58bsWg4M[/YOUTUBE]

Steamboat is looked at as the most promising second generation wrestlers WWE have signed, having trained in Japan, wrestled in Pro Wrestling Noah, for ASW in the UK, TNT in Germany and various promotions around America, Steamboat has spent the last three years gathering up an impressive resume. Which includes victories over Jimmy Jacobs, Nick Aldis, Puma and Tyler Black. His ameteur wrestling background is also impressive, being asked to join the Junior Olympic Wrestling team but declining so that he could persue a career in professional wrestling.​

Are you excited about the prospect of Richie Steamboat?

From reading this do you see him as an impressive future star?

(If you watch the match) How do you rate his match with Tyler Black?

I love me some Richie Steamboat, the kid has a world of potential if he's ever given the chance. Frankly I think of all the people in FCW besides Tyler Black, he's the one guy who absolutely 100% SHOULD be on the main roster by now. He's like an awesome carbon copy of his father, he's great in the ring and brings a ton of fire into his work just like his father did. His matches against and teaming with Seth Rollins have been great, and if he was used correctly I could seriously see Richie being a big star in this business just like his father was. He's got all the potential and upside in the world, and I cannot wait for the day that he gets a chance to show it on the big stage.

As for that particular match with Tyler, I haven't seen that particular one, but I did see a match they had about a month later in April for the 15 title again and it was awesome stuff, had it rated at ***1/2 on my blog. I'll have to watch that earlier match sometime today.

I love me some Richie Steamboat, the kid has a world of potential if he's ever given the chance. Frankly I think of all the people in FCW besides Tyler Black, he's the one guy who absolutely 100% SHOULD be on the main roster by now. He's like an awesome carbon copy of his father, he's great in the ring and brings a ton of fire into his work just like his father did. His matches against and teaming with Seth Rollins have been great, and if he was used correctly I could seriously see Richie being a big star in this business just like his father was. He's got all the potential and upside in the world, and I cannot wait for the day that he gets a chance to show it on the big stage.

As for that particular match with Tyler, I haven't seen that particular one, but I did see a match they had about a month later in April for the 15 title again and it was awesome stuff, had it rated at ***1/2 on my blog. I'll have to watch that earlier match sometime today.

I’m glad to read your opinions on Richie. I’ve never seen him wrestle (I know Dragon Saga was kind enough to post a video but I haven’t watched it yet). My instinct is to say he is automatically going to be under a lot of pressure to live up to his father. Some second generation stars have gone on to be better than their fathers (Orton) while some have not escaped the shadow (Dibiase). Given how universally respected Ricky Steamboat is and how his ring work is praised by pretty much everybody, I think Richie would have more pressure than other second generation stars. I just have a feeling if he’s not the undisputed best scientific wrestler on the roster he will be looked at as a failure and that’s not fair. I hope I’m wrong and maybe I’m already looking too much into it. I just think the name Steamboat carries more expectations than others. I'll get around to that video but I'm already more excited about him based on your post X.

I've been attending shows around here since he was going by Donnie Steamboat, and to this day I say the same thing that I've said before... Nothing too special.

Sure he has a few good matches here and there, but the guy just doesn't work the crowd like he should. Honestly, sticking him with Tyler Rollins was really one of the best things FCW's done. The two have become quite a pair with their somewhat matching in-ring abilities. With Tyler as his partner, maybe Richie/Donnie can get some mic skills and get to WWE mid-carder par. As far as him being anything past that, I don't see it.

Now this is a thread I can sink my teeth into. There's a reason that my (current) screen name is Remixie Steamboat, not Remixy. I mark hard for Richie. Damn good wrestler. Can't talk for shit, but my god he can go in the ring. What's more is that he's living proof that FCW works. Over the time that I've watched FCW (about a year) I've watched him grow as a performer, from a very tallented but spotty fucker (he more or less threw his father's spots at the opponent when he was on offence) to one of the best guys in the company, including the main roster.

Richie's definately got a lot to live up to. Especially with his Dad working at FCW (who apparently pushes him harder than the rest of the trainees), but I see no reason he can't rise above that and become a well respected performer in his own right. Since he came back from injury he's done a lot to differenciate himself from his father. He's stopped ending matches with crossbodies, started using jackhammer variations and superkicks and moved away from relying on his Dad's spots. He's not the second coming of his father. He's the first coming or Richie Steamboat, and he's one of the 4 guys I want called up ASAP.

Also, X mentioned how good he's been while teaming with Seth Rollins. Here's what I consider to be their best tag team match against former FCW Tag champs Hunico (better known as Incognito) and Epico (Tito Colon, Carlito and Primo's cousin).

[youtube]QWvJRqu2mLY[/youtube]

And SLS, I'm pretty sure Donnie Steamboat isn't a name Richie's ever gone by. (why would he?) There is a wrestler called Donnie Steamboat, but I think it's a different guy. In fact, looking around youtube finds me this video made in 2011 of Donnie working in North Carolina while Richie would be in Florida. So yeah, they're not the same guy.

I've been attending shows around here since he was going by Donnie Steamboat, and to this day I say the same thing that I've said before... Nothing too special.

And SLS, I'm pretty sure Donnie Steamboat isn't a name Richie's ever gone by. (why would he?) There is a wrestler called Donnie Steamboat, but I think it's a different guy. In fact, looking around youtube finds me this video made in 2011 of Donnie working in North Carolina while Richie would be in Florida. So yeah, they're not the same guy.

Indeed.

Donnie Steamboat who I believe used to be called Axe Handle, who wrestled for 1PW for a bit isn't Richie Steamboat. Richie Steamboat went under two ring names, one being Ricky Steamboat Jr and the other being... Richie Steamboat.

Also I was watching a YouTube video of Donnie, and he doesn't look much like Richie at all to be honest.

Thanks to both for the contribution to the thread.

This is my 1st ever post, eek.

Richie is one of many talented FCW talents. He is multi talented and is in my eyes better than guys like Heath Slater, Joe Hennig, Curt Hawkins, Tyler Reks, DH Smith, David Otunga and many many more. He is talented, very young, able to put on great matches, has the 'look', is a good worker and is certainly experienced. His only flaws are that he must not be a good talker because I don’t think I’ve ever seen him cut a promo, lacks charisma and has the same move set as his father which he needs to break out of.

I fear he like many other 2nd/3rd generation superstars will be misused. I would personally like to see him headlining WrestleMania in the future but I do believe he will not be used the best to his ability. I fear he will always be stuck in that midcard role like Kofi and occasionally challenge for the big one. Other talents who are 2nd/3rd generation stars who have been misused over the years are Ted Dibiase Jr, The Uso's, DH Smith, Tyson Kidd and even Cody Rhodes (after the fued with Rey Mysterio has only won once).

I hope to see him soon in the main roster due to his inring ability and hopefully he will be used correctly and someday become a solid maineventer.

The match was great. 10/10 but Seth Rollins made the match IMO. Ahead of Steamboat, I would prefer Rollins being called up to the mainroster as I feel he is much better overall than Steamboat but with Steamboat's background of being son of the legendary superstar I can see Steamboat getting better treatment than Rollins.

I recommend you watch Seth Rollins vs Hunico match aswell. I know this has nothing to do with Richie, I was enforcing my earlier statement of Seth being better than Richie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEsgOdgykO8

^^ I don't know how to insert a video my bad :3

Maybe the next post could be on Rollins, Mike Dalton, Xavier Woods or Hunico?

Welcome to WZ Forums dude.

Also, suggestions taken. I might make these daily, as some people seem to like them. My thought was to do PWG's Tony Nese next as some don't know of him, but Mike Dalton is also very high on the list.

Also, to link videos...

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/faq.php?faq=wzfaq#faq_wzvideosfaq

Thank you man, just been looking through some of your posts and clearly you know lots about wrestling. :)

I really am looking foward to your series and maybe you can think about doing a thread on newly signed PWO star Matt Justice, I've seen some of his matches and they are quite impressive.

I caught Richey vs Seth Rollins on FCW TV a few weeks back ( I think its the match that's linked in the first post, which I didn't click on to check)

i have to say I was reallyt impressed with both guys actually. Lots of potential.

But since this is a topic on Richie, I'll say that the little I saw of him made me wish he was up on the main roster already, I would especially love to see him work Daniel Bryan.

Hi there Dragon Saga, nice to meet you. Before I start I am a huge FCW mark and I am extremely passionate and keen on up and coming talent therefore this series will definitely be interesting and I will check regularly for updates and new threads on different superstars.

Richie is very talented superstar. He is still very young, he can put on great matches like the one you showed us and he has the 'look' of a champion. By the looks of it he is experienced in the ring, a good worker and has the potential to become HUGE one day. By the looks of it he should already be on the main roster, he is certainly better than guys like Primo and Otunga (2 guys on the top of my head who are terrible). He could have great 5* matches with guys like Bryan, Rhodes, Sin Cara, Rey Mysterio and CM Punk. I think the fact he is from the legendary Steamboat family he will certainly be popular from when he debuts and to when he hangs up his boots.

My only major fear is that he will always be compared to his father the legendary Ricky Steamboat. I think always being in the shadows of his father and always expected to live up to his father’s legacy means he will have a lot of pressure on him to succeed. Hopefully Richie can overcome that pressure and ensure when he is given his chance he runs with it and cements himself as a superstar to stay.

I think the reason he has not debuted yet is that WWE have wasted 2nd/3rd generation talents such as The Uso’s, DH Smith, Primo and Tyson Kidd, they see a lot of capitol in Richie and the fact WWE is very close with Ricky Steamboat, they don’t want to rush Richie’s debut and make him irrelevant. When Richie blossoms more and develops charisma and mic skills he will be ready to debut. IMO he needs to debut when a show is weak on midcard faces so maybe he could be brought up to Raw who lacks midcard faces? Just an idea :p

The match with Rollins was fantastic, both guys work well and I dream the day I see one of them in the WWE.

Well I hope my 1st ever contribution to these forums has helped, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back