Richie Steamboat just signed by WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel The Fire

Getting Noticed By Management
I was reading online and i found this
By Mike Johnson on 2009-12-14 09:04:01
As we mentioned in the PWInsider.com Elite section, Richie Steamboat, the son of former NWA World champ Rick Steamboat will be heading to Florida Championship Wrestling shortly to begin a WWE developmental run. Steamboat has been sending his son to different areas to learn and train over the last two years, including Pro Wrestling NOAH in Japan, WWC in Puerto Rico and Harley Race's school in Eldon, Missouri. Richie was originally trained by the great George South. PWInsider.com Elite subscribers can find a 44 minute interview with Richie Steamboat from last April in the Interviews section.

I think this is great news and I am looking forward to see how he turns out. I personally hope that he doesn't show up on e.c.w and either goes to smackdown or raw ..Now im not sure how they should bring him in or what they should do with him so i thought i would just share this information and lets hope he does good in his develop run in florida after that what do you guys think hes going to do?

I was reading online and i found this

Thats cool.

I think this is great news

You know, I planned on ranting about how naive it is to think just because his dad is one of the, if not the, greatest professional wrestlers in the world, that this was great news. But in re-thinking it, I somewhat agree.

Why?

A) Legacy-Around the time I read this, I was thinking back to the Legacy vs Bourne and Kingston tonight on RAW. I remember how green both of them were when they stepped inside the squared circle, and now, I look at both of them and think "Wow, they're spectacular" These two men have wrestling flowing in their bloodstream. I imagine and hope Richie will too.

B) His dad is showing intrest in what hes doing. Hes paying for him to go to the most elite promotions, and hes hopefully helping him train. This means, we might get to see Ricky Steamboat as his manager, if not simply for a few weeks. It also means his dad will be giving him pointers along the way, he'll do nothing but improve, assuming he'll listen to his old man.

I personally hope that he doesn't show up on e.c.w and either goes to smackdown or raw

Again, I suprisingly agree. I hope the guy goes to RAW, maybe has some interaction with Legacy. Quite possibly even joins Legacy. Orton regains the strap in the near future, Legacy regain the tag titles, and then Steamboat gains his very first title in the United States champion title. Legacy dominates RAW, if for only a month. Then we can see something like this again.

team-evolution.jpg

Now I certainly don't want a new incarnation of Evolution, but something like this would be awesome.

So, that makes two DiBiases, two Ortons, two Rhodes, one Hart-Smith, one Hennig, and a Neidhart with WWE contracts. Man, it's gotta be great to be related to a wrestler and be a part of 'the family buisness'. I mean if your old man can just dial up Vince and get you a shot at playing in the big leagues, and when you get called up give you a decent push on name alone. That's an awesome deal compared to trying to get a contract (and later a push) any other way (where you've got to stand out against a field of literally thousands of others (whether you get scouted from the indies or try to get a contract via tough enough or the diva search)).

Look at Teddy Hart he got a WWE (developmental) contract twise, and I dont doubt that being called Hart contributed to that. He's only got his attitude to thank for getting him released twise though.

You forgot the Steamboat.
I was bound to miss someone. Pity it turned out to be the topic of the thread in hand.
Okay, so you're implying these men have contracts simply by name value alone. Thats silly. Randy Orton, Ted DiBiase, Both Rhodes, Hart-Smith, and Neidhart all are phenomenal athletes. I imagine that Hennig, and DiBiase/Orton are both great athletes too, even though I've not seen anything from them. The WWE isn't just hiring people on name, they're hiring on their abilities.
I agree, and that's not what I'm saying at all. While I'm pointing out that there are alot of sons (and daughter) of 'the old guard' I'm not saying that WWE's hiring them soley because of it. I'm saying that knowing somone who can pimp you out to a big shot wrestling promoter is a big help in the wrestling world. It's been done for years (See: Dutch Mantell getting Mark Calloway a WCW contract by selling him like he's the second coming of jesus to Jim Cornette) and will continue to be done for years. having a Dad who has Vince's mobile number helps you get your foot in the door. and that's one hell of a lot easier than hoping a WWE scout will see you at an indie show, and it's cheaper than getting an agent (which, chances are you wont be able to afford until you've reached the big time anyway) to do the same.
The WWE isn't just hiring people on name, they're hiring on their abilities. They obviously have their dads to go to for pointers in the wrestling world, and thats always great. These guys have wreslting in their blood. They each and everyone had some sort of background of wrestling to them before they entered into the WWE, and yes, I'm sure their name value does help, if only just a little bit.
glad we can come to an agreement on this point.
*Yawn* Really? You're infering these guys don't put their bodies through hell every single match, and don't try their hardest to entertain the fans each and every week? Seriously? Do you even watch SmackDown, or RAW?
No, I'm not inferring that at all. I'm inferring that Jim Neidhart giving Vince/other important WWE employee a call to say "My daughter Natalie is performing at Indie show XYZ. She's a very talented wrestler, and was trained by Bret Hart. And if I do say so she's inherited my good looks. Yes, Vince that was a joke. She takes after her mother. Oh and while you're there you might want to check out her boyfriend T.J. He's practically a part of the Hart Family and was the last graduate of the dungeon. What's that? You're going to send a scout to check them out, and possibly offer them a contract? Wonderful, I'll call them to give them the good news." takes a lot less effort (and luck) than a WWE scout randomly spotting an indie guy who's unknown but awesome, or an indie guy getting so well known that a WWE scout being sent to find out about him and offer him a contract if he lives up to the hype. On the flipside, aformentioned fathers will also be good judges of talent and probably wont pimp them out to Vince unless they think they're ready for the big time (See: Tommy Dreamer taking Lance Storm's word that his graduates are ready for a WWE contract).
The Hart Dynasty, Legacy, and Randy Orton are all some of the best parts of the show. Their in-ring abilities are supurb, and their talking isn't half bad either.
I'm not saying that they arent, but I am saying that having a Dad (and/or Grandad) who can call Vince and sing your praises will help you get your foot in the door to the WWE a lot more easily than just being talented.

also, I dont watch Raw or ECW. That's not due to any deep reasons. I dont have time to watch all the shows (gotta love doing a pharmacy degree) and I'm going to watch the show with the guy I'm a mark for (John Morrison), so I watch SD on youtube (and my room doesnt get sky sports)
Yeah? Really? You're seriously going to say these guys don't bust their butts just like any other guy whos tries to make it up the ladder? I'm not saying they didn't have a little extra help because of their fathers positions in the professionaly wrestling world, but I am most certainly saying, these guys have as many hours, and have worked just as hard as any one else.
I'm not sating they don't work equally hard. I'm saying that Having an endorsement from Bob Orton, Larry 'the Axe' Hennig, Dusty Rhodes, Jim 'the Anvil' Neidhart, Ricky 'the Dragon' Steamboat or any member of the Hart Family, will put one hell of a foot in the door. after that, it's up to the endorsed to force the door open and make a success out of themselves. or atleast, that was what I was trying to say in a not entirely serious way.
Teddy was pretty good, he just had attitude problems.
Never seen him perform though he does seem to do some of the mose insane/reckless/insane/impressive/insane moves. Frankly if I were a wrestler I'd refuse to take any of his piledriver variations. Or his powerbomb backstabber. But then, I like my spine undamaged.

So, that makes two DiBiases, two Ortons, two Rhodes, one Hart-Smith, one Hennig, and a Neidhart with WWE contracts.

You forgot the Steamboat.

Okay, so you're implying these men have contracts simply by name value alone. Thats silly. Randy Orton, Ted DiBiase, Both Rhodes, Hart-Smith, and Neidhart all are phenomenal athletes. I imagine that Hennig, and DiBiase/Orton are both great athletes too, even though I've not seen anything from them. The WWE isn't just hiring people on name, they're hiring on their abilities. They obviously have their dads to go to for pointers in the wrestling world, and thats always great. These guys have wreslting in their blood. They each and everyone had some sort of background of wrestling to them before they entered into the WWE, and yes, I'm sure their name value does help, if only just a little bit.

Man, it's gotta be great to be related to a wrestler and be a part of 'the family buisness'. I mean if your old man can just dial up Vince and get you a shot at playing in the big leagues, and when you get called up give you a decent push on name alone.

*Yawn* Really? You're infering these guys don't put their bodies through hell every single match, and don't try their hardest to entertain the fans each and every week? Seriously? Do you even watch SmackDown, or RAW?

The Hart Foundation, Legacy, and Randy Orton are all some of the best parts of the show. Their in-ring abilities are supurb, and their talking isn't half bad either.

That's an awesome deal compared to trying to get a contract (and later a push) any other way (where you've got to stand out against a field of literally thousands of others (whether you get scouted from the indies or try to get a contract via tough enough or the diva search)).

Yeah? Really? You're seriously going to say these guys don't bust their butts just like any other guy whos tries to make it up the ladder? I'm not saying they didn't have a little extra help because of their fathers positions in the professionaly wrestling world, but I am most certainly saying, these guys have as many hours, and have worked just as hard as any one else.

Look at Teddy Hart he got a WWE (developmental) contract twise, and I dont doubt that being called Hart contributed to that. He's only got his attitude to thank for getting him released twise though.

Teddy was pretty good, he just had attitude problems.

Im glad that Steamboats son has signed with WWE and hope he doesn't feel he needs to perform as well as his father. He obviously is being trained to be an elite performer and has all the tools necessary to become as good as his father.

Of course just because your father is a legend doesn't mean you will be given a great big huge push. Jimmy Snuka's son was a curtain jerker, Terry Bam Bam Gordy's son to my knowledge hasn't be acknowledged for who he really is.

But it is true that if your father was a loyal WWE employee you will likely get a job. You forgot the fact that 2 of Rontundo's children are in the business too in FCW.

Richie 'koi fish' Steamboat has a nice ring to it I think.

In all seriousness I'm happy that we get these legends kids as wrestlers. It makes someone old new again and reminds of some of the classic matches that have taken place

All we need is Jake Roberts kids to get in the business. It's not what you know it's who you know.

The Little Dragon goes into the family business!!
If there was ever a case of trying to live up to dad's reputation....this would have to be the toughest!!
last time a 2nd gen wrestler had this much to live up to..IT FAILED MISERABLY!!!......case in point,David Flair??

If Little Ricky, whom I remember being carried by his dad quite a bit in his years in the WCW against Flair and stuff, has 1/5 the talent that his father does, then he'll be just fine. Steamboat is a great athlete and could make a huge mark in the WWE...if he's billed right. I'd lead in with him having the Steamboat name and debuting as a fresh babyface, then turn him heel, kinda like The Rock. He could cut promos about how his dad was always too nice and could have won more titles if he was mean.

This has the potential to be a good hire.

I would like to see Richie Steamboat perform on the main roster, and have his father be his manager. This way, you can have Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat on Raw every week, but not wear out his welcome, as he would be Richie's manager most of the time, and stand at ringside. He can also speak for Richie, while Richie develops his mike-skills.

Also, when Richie Steamboat is experienced enough, and has made an impact, I would like to see him turn heel on his dad, and it would build towards a match at Wrestlemania between father and son.

So, that makes two DiBiases, two Ortons, two Rhodes, one Hart-Smith, one Hennig, and a Neidhart with WWE contracts.

You forgot to mention two Rotundo's, a Brisco, a Fatu and a Fifita. It is most certainly a good time to be a wrestlers son.

While I think that nepotism has got them seen, it doesn't necessarily mean they stay put, I mean we saw Sim Snuka FE'd along with Afa Jnr and Jesse Gordy is currently hanging in gimmick limbo.

The majority of the 2nd gen stars called up to the main roster have proved their worth eventually.

The difference between David Flair and others is that David expected it all to come to him by right. He didn't work for it and as such hasn't done anything of note. I think it is a wise decision for these 2nd gen wrestlers to get some world experience first. From what I've seen of Reid Flair, he seems much better than his brother.

Interesting. I hope Richie Steamboat is as good as Ricky Steamboat. Hell, even if he has a fraction of his dad's talent he'll be good. The WWE is rife with 2nd generation stars, and some of them have worked out really well (The Hart Dynasty, Orton, Legacy) so I can only hope for this to be another success story.

I like Ricky Steamboat, and wouldn't mind him as a manager to his son. They could really play off his family history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back