Popcorn Movies

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
In short these are movies that are just fun to watch. There's nothing incredibly great about them as the script is usually basic, the acting is just above ok, the music is very mainstream and there is usually very odd logic if not plotholes in the story. That all being said, they still wind up being check your mind at the door fun and aren't meant to be anything more. I want to know what some of your favorites are.

The Mummy

This movie is underrated in my eyes. We have Brendan Frasier as basically a low rent cross between Han Sole and Indiana Jones mixed with a very good looking Rachel Weisz as they try to find their way to a hidden city in the desert while being chased by an unkillable mummy. This is a very fun movie with Frasier being about as likable as ever. The whole thing comes off as a solid adventure movie and is incredibly fun.

Men In Black

Whereas the Mummy is an action movie with comedy mixed in, MIB is comedy with action mixed in. It's a buddy comedy with Tommy Lee Jones being awesome as the straight man and Will Smith being his hot shot new partner. It was a cultural phenomenon that worked very well with the song and the look and the one liners from the movie. Smith is more or less box office gold and this is still one of his bigger hits.

The Fast and the Furious

Before the three and upcoming fourth sequels, the original of these movies is still very awesome. It has fast cars, corny dialogue and hot women. WHat more could you ask for at all? Between Vin Diesel being the tough guy and Paul Walker being out of place for the most part, the two lead guys are a good combination and look right together. The car scenes are cool to see just because it's fun to watch big machines that go fast. The plot is full of holes but who cares? It's a fun movie.

So what are some of your favorites?

[YOUTUBE]wFdDy7NYuc0[/YOUTUBE]

Tropic Thunder, at least to me, should be considered a popcorn movie. I don't remember going to see any movie that actually made me laugh all the way through like this one did. It was over-the-top silly but on a good level. Yeah it had its gross moments but nothing you couldn't sit through and munch popcorn with as you followed along. This movie features so many memorable lines that people I know are still quoting the thing. It was just pure fun and exciting.

And then there's this gem that defines the whole movie (sorry for the quality-this is the only version I could find on Youtube):

[YOUTUBE]2CXD1VdQEwU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uEXsOqdzYhE[/YOUTUBE]

Crank is the ultimate popcorn movie. Very enjoyable, full of babes, guns and violence and very little storyline.

Statham basically just smashes things up, nails his girl in public and shoots loads of people for an hour and a half...simple but effective.

There was a sequel, Crank 2: High Voltage but that ranks as one of the worst things I have ever seen, where they took all the excess and stupidity that make Crank 1 great, and turned it up to 100000...and ruined the film.

Crank 2 bad...Crank 1 gooood!

Comedy
Zombieland
Zombieland is a road trip movie set in a post-zombie apocalypse. Woody Harrelson is a hoot as a zombie killing machine.
The movie is enjoyable because it doesn't take itself seriously. It doesn't pretend to be anything that it is not which movies of the same genre are often guilty of.
[YOUTUBE]xP4-r21dJkw[/YOUTUBE]
Dodgeball
How can anyone make a movie based on Dodgeball and make it work I will never know. A really funny slapstick movie. Lots of silly macho and homoerotic jokes. One of my favourite Ben Stiller movies. Oh yeah there are also a few funny celebrity cameos such as Chuck Norris and Lance Armstrong.
[YOUTUBE]dIiwXX2tmBY[/YOUTUBE]
Action
xXx
Fast cars, daredevil stunts, hot women, Vin Diesel. A rebel who live for the moment is asked to save the world? What more can one ask for in a mindless action movie? If you are looking for adrenaline-pumping action then I think the movie delivered. The gorgeous setting of Prague doesn't hurt either.
[YOUTUBE]WZ70vkAYx_Q[/YOUTUBE]

Taken
Liam Neeson is a one man killing machine. Do not cross this man. Taken is basically about Liam Neeson kicking ass camouflaged in a plot about a former agent trying to rescue his daughter from a kidnapping ring. The movie is full of plot holes but you won't notice or won't care because the action comes thick and fast.
[YOUTUBE]k8HknJ3IaLk[/YOUTUBE]
These are some of my faves so hope you guys enjoy them too.

Judge Dredd- I don't understand all of the hate this film gets. I also don't think it's as bad the critics make it out to be. Sylvester Stallone did a nice job with the Judge Dredd character. He was a perfect choice to play this hard-ass cop/Judge who didn't have any emotion. Aramnd Assante and Diane Lane put on some pretty good performances here, and I'm not a big fan of Rob Schneider, but he did a good job at providing some comic relief in this film. Judge Dredd is a solid action film, and this can be a very fun movie to watch.

The Mummy Returns- Well since KB already picked The Mummy, then I guess I'll have to go with the next best thing. The Mummy Returns was full of action, and the fight scenes were pretty cool here. I couldn't stand Rick and Evelyn's son, because I thought he was very annoying. Rachel Weisz put on the best performance as usual. We didn't see too much of The Rock in this one, but he did kick ass in the beginning. This was a very entertaining film. It's too bad The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor had to suck so bad.

Independence Day- I've always loved this movie. Will Smith was the best thing here, but the rest of the cast wasn't too bad either. Jeff Goldblum was very sarcastic and witty as usual, Vivca A. Fox did a good job as Will's girlfriend/wife, and Bill Pullman wasn't bad as the President. This is one of my favorite alien invasion films. There was plenty of action and spectacular special effects here, and the story was pretty solid.

Piranha 3D- Anyone who thinks this movie is serious needs to check themselves before they wreck themselves. It is a complete spoof of the creature feature horror genre, with copious amounts of blood, gore and tits. The dialogue is very tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken serious at all. It was just a really fun movie, and probably the funniest thing I have seen all year. Especially when you consider what actors signed on for it.

The A-Team- Awesome movie. It probably won't win any awards, but it was just really fun to watch. The massive amounts of explosions and cheesy dialogue. Sharlto Copley was hilarious. Big budget action films should take a note from the A-Team. This is how it should be done.

The Loser- Pretty much the same as The A-Team but with even cheesier dialogue and action scenes. All of the actors did a great job of being funny, while also creating a film that is just really fun to watch while eating popcorn.

Jurassic Park- One of my all time favorite films. I still find myself in shock when I see dinosaurs that actually look real on my television when watching this movie. It isn't a comedy by any means which distances itself from the other films I listed. Just good acting and some awesome GGI.

Judge Dredd- I don't understand all of the hate this film gets. I also don't think it's as bad the critics make it out to be. Sylvester Stallone did a nice job with the Judge Dredd character. He was a perfect choice to play this hard-ass cop/Judge who didn't have any emotion. Aramnd Assante and Diane Lane put on some pretty good performances here, and I'm not a big fan of Rob Schneider, but he did a good job at providing some comic relief in this film. Judge Dredd is a solid action film, and this can be a very fun movie to watch.

The Mummy Returns- Well since KB already picked The Mummy, then I guess I'll have to go with the next best thing. The Mummy Returns was full of action, and the fight scenes were pretty cool here. I couldn't stand Rick and Evelyn's son, because I thought he was very annoying. Rachel Weisz put on the best performance as usual. We didn't see too much of The Rock in this one, but he did kick ass in the beginning. This was a very entertaining film. It's too bad The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor had to suck so bad.

Come on man! Judge Dredd is horrid! I mean, it's fun to watch if you wanna just watch something for some cheesy entertainment. As KB puts it, a popcorn movie. But don't understand the hate it gets from critics? It's about as cliche as you get. One man army with his goofy sidekick and by the book partner. We've seen that about a million times man.

However, I 100% agree with you on The Mummy Returns. When KB said the original I thought to myself that honestly I think the second one is just a little more fitting for this thread. Just a little more "fun" IMO.

Godzilla - Cheesy I know but it's a fun movie. If you can just watch this for fun and ignore some bad acting and bad dialogue it's quite entertaining. Plus I honestly think Hank Azaria is pretty funny in it.

Star Trek - The new one. I actually like this movie a lot. Granted, I'm not an "original" Star Trek fan so maybe that's why. But I think they did a great job in this movie. Fun to watch. Good mix of action, suspense and some comedy in there.

Beverly Hills Cop - The second one was decent and the third, while watchable, is where Eddie Murphy really started going downhill, the first is a great movie. Back when Eddie Murphy was still funny he made maybe his best movie ever. Great comedy and decent action make this a really fun movie to watch.

Not sure how nobody has mentioned it yet but I'll vote for They Live. I'm a wrestling fan so it's great for me to see a wrestler in a decent movie. The plot and effects are pretty good (I realize the effects look dated now but for the 80s, they weren't bad). The longest fight scene in history (if it isn't, it sure feels like it) is hilarious and the movie features the great (and apparently adlibbed) one-liner by Piper: "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Of course, not every movie with Piper is good. For the flipside of the spectrum of fun movie experiences, I refer you to Hell Comes To Frogtown.

Office Space- Talk about a movie full of plot holes with an outrageous script. Ron Livingston was great as Peter, a computer software programmer who hates his job. He gets "hypnotized" into a state of not caring about anything, and actually gets promoted into upper management rather then fired for not showing up for work. His best friend's and co-workers actually get fired despite working hard, and hatch a plan to rip the company off big time through a software scheme. One of those movies that bombed at the box office but is a cult favorite, strictly for the laughs. Gary Cole is great as Peter's boss, and this was one of Jennifer Aniston's better movies as the love interest. Kind of like wrestling, its one of those movies that just asks you to "suspend disbelief" for a few hours and enjoy the entertainment, because that's what this movie is, especially for someone who really hates their job.

The Marine 2- so its a WWE movie. Don't get me wrong, but, its based on actual events. A guy and his wife on a vacation in the central America where terrorists take over the resort. He is a trained navy Seal, and he is trying to save the people who are being held hostage in that resort. So, its mostly a blow them up, kick butt, wanna-be martial arts type movie. Its not bad, but I can think of worse movies to spend time watching.

Demolition Man- Slyvester Stallone, Sandra Bullock, Wesley Snipes. San Francisco and Los Angeles are destroyed in a major earthquake, Stallone's wife and daughter are killed in the earthquake. He is frozen in a sleep to help track a criminal (Snipes) that is also frozen, but escapes. He awakens in I think 2112? Its San Angeles, a world with no swearing, no alcohol, no sex. Quite the funny world, a world with only Taco Bell as the only restaurants. Its not oscar worthy material, but its interesting. You see Stallone wearing the headsets to simulate sex...haha!! Quite entertaining.

good popcorn movie is Operation Endgame not great story not great acting but there both good, Its one of those movies you can watch then maybe watch a second time but thats about it.

A great comedy is Napoleon Dynamite Thats a movie were you can watch over and over Its one of my favorite comedy's and a great popcorn movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back