Paranormal Activity 4 Will Happen

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Paramount is making more "Paranormal."

While touting its box office performance in 2011, the studio announced that it will release a fourth in its phenomenally successful "Paranormal Activity" franchise this year.

TheWrap reported in October that a fourth "Paranormal" was all but certain.

Also read: Thanks to 'Transformers,' Tom Cruise, Paramount Is 2011's Global Box-Office Champ

Making another "Paranormal" isn't a huge risk. The ultra-low-budget movies have been spectacularly successful, and while nothing is guaranteed, a fourth "Paranormal" is as close to a no-brainer as Hollywood gets.

The first installment, made for a mere $15,000, grossed $193.35 million worldwide. The second, made for $3 million, grossed $177.5 million worldwide.

And "Paranormal Activity 3," released in October, 2011, grossed $202.2 million worldwide on a $5 million budget.

It opened to $54 million for the biggest October opening ever

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/another-paranormal-activity-tap-2012-34033

This piece of news really doesn't surprise me at all. Paranormal Activity has become a very successful and popular horror franchise over the years, and this film series has developed a nice sized fanbase. These low budget films continue to make a good amount of money, and Paranormal Activity 4 will draw some good crowds at theaters.

Personally, I was disappointed by Paranormal Activity 3. Story wise, it just felt like the same old routine again. There were some new tweaks, but most of the scare tactics didn't do anything for me. I wanted to learn MORE about the story, but I just saw some new home movies with different people in Paranormal Activity 3. And Paranormal Activity 3 did provide some unintentionally fumy moments, unfortunately. Also, the little surprise secret at the very end of the film didn't do anything for me at all. Katie and Kristi's demonic childhood was no secret to anyone, who follows the Paranormal Activity franchise. I can understand showing the early stages of the invisible demon's rampages, but when it came to the story, I wanted some more meaningful and informative material.

Paranormal Activity 3 really didn't feel like anything new, but the fourth film could provide something different, hopefully. I've followed this franchise through three films, so I'm not giving up now. The production values for each film have noticeably improved over time, and they will probably stick to the found-footage formula for the fourth film, because fans of the Paranormal Activity franchise love this style of filmmaking. Abandoning the found-footage style wouldn't be a wise move, because they could upset the fanbase, if they choose to do this. Paranormal Activity has found a formula that continues to lure fans into theaters, and tossing this style out the window could backfire. Book Of Shadows (the sequel for The Blair Witch Project) tried to do this, and this film was panned by critics and fans, who didn't hold anything back, as they tore this film apart with venomous and hate filled criticisms.

Are you looking forward to the new Paranormal Activity film?

What are your expectations?

Hmm well i will say this, it better be better then the second one.

I loved the first one, scared me a little, which is something that no other horror movie has done in a long long time. I then went to go see the third one in the cinema, now that scared me a little more, or maybe it was because my friend who is a girl, literally. Screamed her head of over and over again, grabbing my arm which scared me LOL.

Anyways i then watched the second, in fact unlike the first one, i bought the second one without watching it first, and now that i bought it, i watched it expected to get scared, only to see that it was basically a repeat of number 1. It was a waste of my money, but for sure i am buying the third one when it comes out here.

And yes as i said i hope the 4th one is much better then the 2nd one, scarier then the 3rd one would be great.

I think I am, possibly, the most outspoken Paranormal Activity fan on this forum. So it really doesn't come as a major surprise to anyone, I guess, that I am again going to be very vocal in my support of a new addition to the series.

Paranormal Activity 3 was a decent movie. It certainly wasn't the best of the bunch but it was pretty good all the same. Like Mitch said, it didn't really bring much material in the way of story development. But what it did do was continue to prove that the series can be a phenomenon at the Box Office. A lot of people were unsure about what the third film could add but I think it was a decent addition. It provided a few scares and, sort of, delved into the past of the main characters. I was very much hoping for more and had very high expectations for the movie. For the most part, it lived up to the expectations and that's why I'm not surprised that there will be a fourth film this year.

What I really want from this film, is a look at what is actually haunting this family. I want to see what the nature of the best is. I know that may sound selfish because I'm really asking for all the secrets to the movie. But really, I just want some fucking answers. I don't want this series to become LOST or Saw. I don't want them to be dragging their heels with the answers and losing a lot of the intrigue along the way. This movie needs to be what it has always been and that is a tantalising tease. It needs to make me want to come back for more but leave me with some certainty that we're working towards a resolution. It may never come but there definitely needs to be some progress, this much is certain.

I'm wondering, however, what path they are going to take with this film. They have exhausted the present day story angles and have now gone back into the past for a prequel. It's my view that we're likely going to see a film that will fall directly after the Paranormal Activity 3 and before the original. Apart from that, I really don't see any scope for the film to take place. The other option is to take a new family and plot altogether but that comes with it's own risks of course.

Either way, I'm excited about this news. I'm hoping that it can live up to the expectations I already have for it but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I enjoyed the first two movies but they really didn't sell me as movies I'd enjoy watching over again but with the last movie I really would say I became a fan of the franchise. So considering that I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment, though like Dave I'm not sure where they can go with it next. There will definitely be some good moments and scares, but I'm hoping they can mix the story up a little bit and give us something fresh while still keeping the same style.

I think I am, possibly, the most outspoken Paranormal Activity fan on this forum. So it really doesn't come as a major surprise to anyone, I guess, that I am again going to be very vocal in my support of a new addition to the series.

You and me both, man! I'm a big fan of the series too and have enjoyed each film.

I personally feel that Paranormal Activity will replace Saw as the big annual October horror release. The third film was a lot better than people give it credit for. I think that plenty of unanswered questions can be answered in the fourth film. They can go further back into the past, continue where the third film left off, or move further in the present. This honestly leaves the door wide open for as much as 3 more films if they would like to extend the number of sequels into a longer list. My anticipation for the fourth film will be through the roof no matter which direction they go in though. The films are low budget and have a large fanbase, so there is no reason to not do another because it will surely be financially successful.

I'd watched the first one part of this movie online AT 10starmovies.com...It's fully crappy movie for me............I think, I'd wasted mine time on it...

Youth and Career Magazine For The Youth

I'm pretty sure Paranormal Activity SEVEN will happen...I mean, just look at Saw. They will milk it down to the last drop.

But I've actually enjoyed the series, so as of right now, I don't mind.

Why oh why? I was not impressed with the first & turned off the second...vastly overrated. Got to love it when they milk a movie for all it's got.

The news of a new Paranormal Activity film comes as no surprise, but I do think that they need to do something a little different with any future releases to warrant them. I have a horrible feeling that the PA films could fall into the same trap as the Saw movies (no pun intended) of being the same old thing re-released every Halloween to gain a quick buck. The first Paranormal Activity movie was perhaps the scariest film I have ever seen and an absolute breath of fresh air to the horror genre. It proved you don't need huge budgets to convincingly scare the shit out of the viewer. The second one was good too and it did scare me but, like most sequels, it struggled to out-shine the original but as far as sequels go it did enough for me to warrant watching it and enjoying. I still need to watch the third one and will probably wait now till it either comes down in price on Blu Ray or watch it with a friend next Halloween time so I can't give a judgement on that one. What I've heard is that it's decent but the series is showing signs of wear because, give or take a few things, it's basically the absolute same thing happening, just in a different time frame.

I just hope that for any future films they consider changing things up a bit. Not much mind, because if they change the formula too much it won't be a Paranormal Activity film, but just change... something, I dunno what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back