Overrated or Underrated - Mick Foley

Mick Foley - Overrated or Underrated?

• Overrated!

• Underrated!

• Rated Correctly.

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
It's been a little bit of time since my last edition of "Overrated or Underrated" and I figured we'd look at a man who continues to appear on RAW telecasts despite waning crowd interest in both his appearances and his books. That's right, the Many faces of FOLEY.

Mick is a 3-time WWE champion, incuding a classic feud with The Rock. He is famous for a sock puppet, a fall off of the Hell in a Cell through a table, a missing ear, and some crazy mic work in ECW. He won TEN CONSECUTIVE Wrestling Observer "Best Brawler" awards from 1991-2000. He also won two straight "PWI Match of the Year" awards for HIAC vs The Undertaker and "I Quit" vs The Rock.

Now he's a sideshow. Ric Flair called him a glorified stunt man. What I want to know is, looking at his history and legacy, is Mick Foley Overrated, or Underrated?

This is kind of a tough question to answer. One of the harder ones for me. Mick Foley is great. He has had classic matches and feuds, his promos are excellent and no one will forget his crazy falls.

The man is a great worker. He is always a great worker. he isn't afraid to take a bump and isn't afraid to job. And he is always able to entertain a crowd no matter what and we usually find ourselves excited to see one of his matches.

WWE brings him back when they want him to start a feud with someone and have it end in a gimmick match. It seems like that is all they want him for now. Mick Foley has done so many great things in the WWE but they only choose to acknowledge his "famous bumps." Yet they forget to show some of his amazing promos or just good wrestling matches. So, I see him as a bit underrated in the WWE.

But true wrestling fans realize a lot of the great things he has done and are able to recognize him for more than him just falling off of the cell.

So it was hard to choose if he was underrated or overrated but I think he is a bit underrated.

ooooo this will be a fun one

me personally I am really not a Mick Foley fan and I agree with Flair that for he most part Mick Foley is/was a glorified stunt man. hpwever even tough I say that I think that he was good on the mic, was a pretty good brawler, and his matches entertained the shit out of me and most other fans. However I think that all his exciting matches were gimmick matches to basically cover up his sub par in ring ability and basically make a legacy out of being able to get the crap kicked out of him better than anyone else. all things said he was a good entertainer and even though he didnt have much ability he made the most out of what he did have. therefore my final verdict is....

depends on how you see him

if you see him as a god hes vastly overrated. because solid mic skills, solid entertaining skills, minimal in ring skills and a high tolerance for pain dont make you a god. they make you a solid performer like he was

if you see him as garbage, then you are also mistaken, while his in ring ability was lacking he entertained people and made the most out of what he had. and in the words of Sly its called world wrestling entertainmentfor a reason

that is all

Probably the most under rated guy there is.

I won't even go into why he made WCW and ECW enjoyable, I mean outside of a feud with Vader that was the only reason to watch WCW and outside of cutting some of the best promos ever in ECW and putting over the younger talent that made that company what it was, Cactus Jack surely didn't do anything for those two companies...

So Foley moves to the land of the Federation. At this point, the Undertaker in his career is essentially a glorified Great Khali. He's slow, immobile, his matches are pretty terrible to tell the truth. The Undertaker's feud with Goldust began to crack the ice of what he would eventually become. Mick Foley and Mankind came to the WWE and cracked that ice completely. No longer was the Undertaker just a slow, methodical giant. He became an aggressive brawler, with high flying tendencies and more mat skill. His matches with Taker in the Boiler Room Brawl, Buried Alive and at Survivor Series 96 were the matches that transformed the Undertaker into the in ring general he is today. Thank You Mick Foley.

Triple H. Buried because of his selfishness, (no really, Triple H selfish, how dare I say that) after the Curtain Call, Vince was set to give this guy a push again. So he sticks him with a young man by the name of Chyna. Outside of that freak show, Triple H still wasn't getting over. Who to the rescue, Mick Foley of course. Mick Foley puts Trips over at King of the Ring, solidifying him in the mid card. That wasn't enough, Mick nearly steals the show at Summerslam 97 in the steel cage match to open the show.

Fast Forward 2 years later, the turn of the Millennium. The Internet is running amuck with wrestling forums saying how Triple H was a terrible choice for champion and that he wasn't ready. Hmmm, I guess the IWC was right about something. Triple H wasn't ready for the spotlight, and this was his third reign as WWF champion, that's sad. Here comes Mick Foley to the rescue. Street Fight and Hell in the Cell. Two of the matches that made Triple H as a wrestler. It took him from a snobby wrestling technician and turned him into the Cerebral Assasin, the Game as we know it today. The bloodthirsty dirty wrestler willing to bust you open with a sledgehammer. How did that get over? Because Mick Foley made it and Triple H look damn good.

The Rock: In 1999 The Rock was just a cocky guy on the mic. sure he was over, but he wasn't the megastar he was today. He was too cocky on the mic and really not humanized. It took Mick Foley to play the lovable goof to the Rock's asshole persona that made the Rock into the star he became. The Rock and Sock Connection made the Rock into the megastar he was.

Randy Orton. In 2004 we have a young punk by the name of Randy Orton. Sure he made a name for himself by beating up 60 year old retired wrestlers, wow that's impressive. Randy Orton didn't get famous until he started to call out Mick Foley. Mick Foley took Randy Orton and made him a superstar in his match at Backlash 2004. Without that match, Orton is just another asshole with a microphone, this at least showed he could bring his game up to the next level.

Edge: Oh yes, the Rated R superstar. One meaningless title reign into his career, Edge was somewhat over. Edge didn't get really over until his WM 22 matchup with Mick Foley. That match right there brought out a darker side in Edge, a sick side in Edge.

I could go on and on. Why did the WWF choose Mick Foley to feud with the Undertaker, Steve Austin, the Rock, and Triple H immediately after they won WWF titles? Why, because Mick Foley has an uncanny ability to make the people he works with look good. Mick is violent and a brawler, but he sells like no other in this business. He'll injure himself to make others look good. That is what wrestling is, making other people look good just as much as making yourself look good. Any asshole can go out there and no sell and get over as a monster, but no one can get over based upon their ability to take punishment.

I just find it Ironic that the two biggest Mick Foley critics are the two biggest egos and most insecure personas probably in the history of the business. Triple H and Ric Flair have made their careers out of burying younger talent and wrestling the same exact match night in and night out. They latch themselves onto whoever the next hot thing in the business is just to give them limelight. They bitch about anyone that would dare retire from the business to spend time with their family, how dare they. Triple H and Ric Flair are probably pissed because Mick Foley will probably be remembered just as much, if not more then both of them by WWF/E fans. It doesn't matter how many world titles either of them win, more people will remember Mick Foley taking the sickest bump ever off the top of a cage.

I listen to guys like Bret Hart, Steve Austin, the Undertaker and on and on of guys like this that say that their was none tougher then Mick Foley. That Mick Foley is one of their guys. I take a glorified stuntman busting his ass every night in the ring over two stuck up snobs that believe that what they think wrestling should be is the only way to go. I take a guy like Mick Foley that walks out on Vince McMahon the night after the screwjob because he thought it was the right thing to do. I take Mick Foley, the guy that was blacklisted by the WWF in 2001 for shooting on the company for fucking up the Invasion storyline. I take Mick Foley, the guy that's not afraid to speak his mind about anything in the business.

Foley isn't good, Foley is god.

Totally agree Highly underated mat wrestler. Mostly known for his hardcore style, but Mick could could wrestle to. Look at his match from Mind Games 1996 with shawn michaels. Such a great wrestling match. Mick is always willing to put young talent over for the business (Orton, Edge). Also if it wasnt for Mick, HHH wouldnt be nearly as big as he is. The street fight and HIAC got HHH over huge! The feud with the Undertaker in 1996 was great the boiler room match, buried alive match if it wasnt for mick the WWE wouldnt be as hardcore as it today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back