Official Raw/Smackdown Aftermath, Ratings and Review Thread

Grade tonight's RAW.

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Rough night for Raw last night according to the numbers that've been released on tvbythenumbers.com

The 8pm hour of the show started off with an average of 3,795,000 viewers. The 9pm show did better, averaging 4,252,000 viewers. The third hour, 10pm, saw another increase in viewers to 4,354,000. All of these numbers are down from what Raw's been doing as of late. The traditional 2 hour time slot totaled an average of 4,303,000. The first hour definitely dragged down the show with the total average amount of viewers being about 4,134,000.

Ironically, Raw held up much better the past few weeks against the Olympics than it did last night. On cable, Raw faced stiff competition. NFL football on ESPN starting at 8 pm drew 5,371,000 viewers. The History Channel aired new episodes of American Pickers & Pawn Stars last night, taking in 4,611,000 and 4,839,000 viewers respectively. TNT won the night with the series finale of The Closer, which drew 9,075,000 viewers, and the series premiere of Major Crimes, a spin off of The Closer, which drew 7,184,000 viewers.

With the fall television season being just around the corner, I have a feeling that Raw is going to see some subpar ratings for a while as long as they keep with the three hour format. I think it'll be especially true with Monday Night Football begins. Maybe WWE should do away with the three hour format and start it back at the first of the year when the fall shows have lost some steam and the build towards WrestleMania.

-I liked the contract signing. Heyman did a great job putting over the match between Lesnar and HHH. I thought the parking lot beatdown was okay. They needed to put some fake blood on HBK. If they cant show that because they are PG, then they should of just blurred HBK face out. It would of made the beat down feel much more intense IMO. I didn't believe that Shawn was just smashed on a car windshield.

-I liked that Heyman didn't expect Brock to actually break Shawn's arm. That showed that Brock is crazy and even Heyman cant control him. I didn't like Brock running from Hunter after breaking HBK's arm though. HHH at times has been booked way too strong during this angle. Brock should never run from anybody. Overall, I thought this was their best segment together and it helped sell the ppv.

-Piper's pit was just complete trash. One of the worst segments of the year. LOL @ Jericho... big time dud of a storyline with Ziggler. What a crappy way for him to leave.

-Their was too much filler on Raw, especially with this being their last Raw before SS. The fan touts are stupid and they show way too many replays.

Rough night for Raw last night according to the numbers that've been released on tvbythenumbers.com

The 8pm hour of the show started off with an average of 3,795,000 viewers. The 9pm show did better, averaging 4,252,000 viewers. The third hour, 10pm, saw another increase in viewers to 4,354,000. All of these numbers are down from what Raw's been doing as of late. The traditional 2 hour time slot totaled an average of 4,303,000. The first hour definitely dragged down the show with the total average amount of viewers being about 4,134,000.

Ironically, Raw held up much better the past few weeks against the Olympics than it did last night. On cable, Raw faced stiff competition. NFL football on ESPN starting at 8 pm drew 5,371,000 viewers. The History Channel aired new episodes of American Pickers & Pawn Stars last night, taking in 4,611,000 and 4,839,000 viewers respectively. TNT won the night with the series finale of The Closer, which drew 9,075,000 viewers, and the series premiere of Major Crimes, a spin off of The Closer, which drew 7,184,000 viewers.

With the fall television season being just around the corner, I have a feeling that Raw is going to see some subpar ratings for a while as long as they keep with the three hour format. I think it'll be especially true with Monday Night Football begins. Maybe WWE should do away with the three hour format and start it back at the first of the year when the fall shows have lost some steam and the build towards WrestleMania.

MNF last night was possibly the worst game in the history of modern football...not to mention...it was a preseason game.

If WWE wants Raw to compete well in its slot, it should focus on creating a damn good television show, as I have ranted about all day. The 3 hour slot can work...but it has to be compelling. There is nothing compelling about a "per usual" contract signing and a retread of individuals in a tag team match.

WWE has created compelling television in the past. It can do it again, also. But it has to want to not do "safe" television. And no...I'm not talking about doing TV-14 type stuff. I'm just saying they have to be willing to do something different.

Raw was ok at best. Opening segment was boring its kind of hard to buy Brock Lesnar anymore. He was great as a monster during his 2002 with Heyman as his mouthpeice he just destroyed but during this new run hes alot smaller and more vulnerable but more of a fighter. Monsters like Brock should be just that, a Monster tossing people around and dominating. Lesnar seems to use much more MMA strategics that wrestling and I know why. I just dont like it and for the record Heyman oversells Lesnar way to much. Brock should let his actions speak for him. The Divas BR sucked as usual. PTP and rhodes vs Air Jimmy and Faceless was ok but felt very filler. HBK segments boring as Hell. he needs to away for good he just appears so old as well as HHH. Bryan/Miz vs Kane/Ryder was funny. Loved how Miz took Bryan away from Yes n No'ing with that fan. haha and Kane destroying shit was great. Thats the Kane we all know and love. Funkasaurus taking a loss to Sandow was good. Ryback eats jobbers and Dinner Mahal attempts to over Ryback. Fails but at least gets his attention perhaps making this a legit fued. Orton vs Del Rio was boring for obvious reasons and Sheamus snitching was ridiculous but one thing I'll say I loved the look Randall gave Sheamus practically letting him know to fuck off that was nice showing Ortons still a lone wolf and sides with No One. Hope he shoots for Sheamus gold soon. Y2J rewind vs. Mini Billy Gunn resulted in the obvious as we Smart Internet fans knew Chris is leaving but his attack on Ziggler afterwards was nice reminding me of the Jericho of 2002. Lastly Punk/Lawler/Cena segment was interesting as Punk, ever the whiner but making perfect sense and telling the total truth about his status in WWE and Cena/Lawlers hypocracy. Punk is justified in all his actions and words. As for Cena coming out and trying to be veteran teacher to Punk makes me laugh. WWE shoved Cena down our throats for years and of course him and his cash cow status and ever so charitable man that he is that puts him at the top of the company not being a skilled wrestler or being talented. Its rather pathetic how WWE is making Punk the Bitch Heel demanding Cena call him the best. Hes the WWE Champion for goodness sake. Well as much as theyre making Cena the honest innocent Sonic the Hedgehog type charater and punk the talented yet desperate guy that begs to be recognized as greater than Cena. ay geez SMFH

Well raw this week was at least a lot better than last week. The 1st hour of last week was a glorified episode of superstars.

They showed everyone they needed to show this week, even though that Jericho/Ziggler stipulation was thrown in with the quickness.

Good ending too. There was nothing Punk can say to Cena after Cenas pipe bomb^10 so he deviated from that and went back @ lawler.

Fuck WWE.

It.is.so.fucking.clear.....fans WANT to cheer Punk. They FUCKING WANT PUNK. So why....WHY???????? Are they having him do this heel shit? So that Cena can come out and "save" Jerry Lawler but in the process forget how to climb a Steel Cage? How many cage matches have you been in, Cena? This is who I'm supposed to be cheering for?

Jim-Cornette.jpg

Raw was very weak last night apart from the main event. It wasn't good but it also wasn't pointless. It made Punk look good as a heel, going into Night Of Champions. The match was no where even near a 2/5 rating but at least it proved he can be vicious, sinister and that what a heel practically feeds on.

It saved Punk's awful opening segment at the start of the show. it was the first time I saw him faltering with his mic skills (Punk).

Daniel Bryan's anger management classes were just funny as hell!

Futhermore, it was nice to see Ryback face a real opponent. Why a squash match? What's wrong with putting him in great match? Having Swagger getting squash usually means that a superstar is pencilled in for a huge push.

Stay tuned.

Raw Rating: 6/10

Plus, dear reviewers?

If you place a grade on a show - it's not going to be as specific and accurate as numbers.

.....fans WANT to cheer Punk.

Clearly, they do......same as they want to jeer Cena, no matter how much on the side of truth and justice he may be. I wonder if the Creative department is fighting a losing battle here, attempting to orchestrate what the fans-in-attendance are going to do, which often flies in the face of what WWE is trying to do. Last Monday, Cena was delivering the most heroic speech possible as Punk was doing his level best to turn fans against him. So, what are the fans doing?..... they've started up a "Cena sucks!" chant that belied what was going on in the ring.

Perhaps that's why last night's Raw featured Punk going truly over the top to secure a heel position for himself. If you can't get over as a bad guy in conventional manner, go and attack a 62-year-old ring announcer whose popularity and reputation exceeds that of many current superstars. It seemed to work, no? Were a lot of folks booing?

Still, audiences are slow to catch on. This "Voice of the Voiceless" campaign Punk has worked on the past year apparently has staying power and many fans are reluctant to abandon it.

So, now the company is trying to make C.M. Punk a heel and is having trouble bringing it about? Well, I guess it's a mixed blessing: when you build a performer in one direction.....and it's effective..... it's doubly hard to switch up and reverse course.

But, never fear! Keep on having him brutalize geriatric wonders and maybe roughing up a few divas.....and it'll happen.

Overall, I have to say that Raw was pretty weak last night.

I thought Punk's opening segment was very good. I didn't see him falter on the mic at all. Sure he mispoke a little but, so what? Punk with a chip on his shoulder is Punk at his best in my view.

The Daniel Bryan segments were funny as all hell. This angle has really shown how talented Bryan is because it certainly has had the potential to be just plain awful.

Triple H's segment was pretty solid. I never really once felt that he was retiring, but the live crowd was buying into it. Hunter sold it well I thought, the catch in his voice sounded legit.

The main event, while not a great match, told a good story and Punk & Lawler did very well in their roles. I give WWE props for doing everything they can to make Punk a heel, but I don't think it's going to work. He's just too popular. He beat up The Rock and people still cheer. He's feuding with Cena and people still cheer. He beat up the beloved Jerry Lawler and people are still going to cheer. Next week in Chicago, Punk's pops will probably be insane.

The rest of the show was pretty damn lame. FAR, FAR too much filler on last night's show. If WWE wants to keep the three hour thing going in the long run, then having virtually all the wrestling action consist of 2 minute matches between Ryback & Swagger or Ryder & Otunga won't get it done in the least.

Cena vs. Miz was ok, but I didn't see a real reason for it. It just felt like an excuse to put John Cena on television. There are any number of opponents that they could've picked, so why pick the IC champ?

I was plain disappointed in Clay & Sin Cara vs. Sandow & Rhodes. Just a lame match and a waste of some talented wrestlers. I guess Vince just wanted to see Brodus do his dance.

The tag match between Sheamus & Orton vs. Ziggler & Del Rio was also disappointing. It had promise but joining the match when it's half way finished just kills the momentum. Also, I saw no point in having Ziggler eat Sheamus' Brogue Kick for the 759th time.

Last night's show was overall lackluster. I'm hoping for a big rebound in Chicago next week. The Chicago crowds are insanely hot and I'm hoping WWE will kick it out of first gear for next week.

I give last night's show a C, maybe as low as a C-.

Has anyone seen a report as to weather or not Punk bladed on Raw last night. When I first saw the amount of blood and how Punk had his arms at his head for a while I thought for sure he bladed, but then when I saw the location of the cut it was much higher then a usual blade job.

So does anyone if he bladed, or if one of Jerry's punches is what got him?

Has anyone seen a report as to weather or not Punk bladed on Raw last night. When I first saw the amount of blood and how Punk had his arms at his head for a while I thought for sure he bladed, but then when I saw the location of the cut it was much higher then a usual blade job.

So does anyone if he bladed, or if one of Jerry's punches is what got him?

It looked to me like it was hardway when Lawler threw Punk into the cage.

I was wondering that too when Punk started putting his hands up over his face after, but since the WWE's outlawed blading and it wouldn't have been in the script... they either had a very astute director who was able to cut away right when Punk was making the cut, or it never happened, because it never looked like Punk actually made a motion to either go for a blade, or make a cut after getting one while he was on camera (which was the majority of the time between hitting the cage and showing blood.

It's possible that Punk is just that skilled with a blade, but considering his age and how long it's been now that blading has really been practiced, I doubt that Punk is that good at it.

Punk loves old school stuff. Likely asked Lawler to cut him hardway. Old story on one of the CM Punk shoot vids when he was in ROH about him being at one of Harley Race's indy shows and him wanting Race to bust him open hardway. Race couldn't and ended up just punching Punk in the face a bunch of times.

Regardless of how it was done or the validitity of the intention of it, I love that it happened for several reasons that all support Punk's heel turn.

First of all, it added a vicious element to the personal fight between Punk and Lawler. This wasn't by any means the match of the year, but when blood's drawn, it creates the illusion that the fight was that much more intense and legitimate. With Punk winning the fight, he looked quite cynical doing so. He appeared crazed mercilessly beating down Lawler with a red stripe near his straight edge taping (irrelevant to the topic, but a bit of irony there). This overall appearance of being bloodied while beating down Lawler made him look even stronger and vicious.

It also doesn't help his heel character for his name to have a buzz around social media as well, especially when he's going against the grain of the WWE PG policies amidst Linda's political run. It adds to his arrogance and disregard of anyone or anything other than himself. So whether he did actually cut himself, got busted open accidentally by a flaw of the King, or by any other means, this situation is a positive one for Punk.

He got staples on the top of his head. He got busted open the "hardway".

If Taker/HHH didn't do a blade job in their end of an era HIAC match...I highly doubt you will ever see that again the WWE, unless the wrestler wants to get severely fined, suspended or possibly fired.

If Taker/HHH didn't do a blade job in their end of an era HIAC match...I highly doubt you will ever see that again the WWE, unless the wrestler wants to get severely fined, suspended or possibly fired.

I wouldn't say that necessarily.

Before the Attitude Era, the WWE actually had a no blood policy for a long time. Not quite as bad as todays where they'll actually stop a match if someone's cut, but it was pretty strict.

Guys still bladed all the time though. Some ended up paying out a lot of fines to do it... while others were skilled enough to make it look like an accident every single time.

I don't know who's around these days that has the skill to make it look accidental every time, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a couple of guys that can do it. Probably ones you'd least expect too (for all we know, Otunga's a master with a gig).

I have a question regarding Jerry Lawler's refusal to say Punk was the best in the world. Who does he think is then? This could be rhetorical or maybe he thinks World Champion Sheamus is.. but what I'm getting at is that Lawler works for the WWE, the top company in the world. If the guy who has held the company's top prize for nine months is not the best then is this a huge devaluation of the title and the company? Is he saying what all IWCers have been saying throughout this whole year and that is the WWE title is really secondary.

Is the top prize in all of wrestling now worthless. No wonder CM Punk wants respect. I know I'm looking too deep into this and it's simple that the loveable old Jerry Lalwer is saying the bad guy is not the best and probably 3 months ago, Jerry probably said he was the best in a passing comment on commentary.

I just think this angle is damaging the Championship...

WWE Raw - September 3, 2012

Opening Segment - Pretty solid opening segment that featured some more good stuff from Punk on the mic. It started out with Sheamus initially talking about his feud with Alberto Del Rio before Punk's music hit. He came out to a massive pop from the Chicago crowd and did his thing about respect. Prior to all this, they showed some backstage footage just before Raw went on the air with Punk & Lawler fighting backstage, in which Punk takes Lawler out. He wouldn't be seen the rest of the night. Sheamus & Punk banter back & forth for a bit, with Punk speaking in a condescending tone to Sheamus throughout. After a while AJ comes out and makes a match between the two for tonight's Raw. Just a solid opening segment to set up what should be a great match. Thumbs Up

1. Randy Orton vs. Dolph Ziggler - This was a very good match to start Raw off with that had some great back and forth action. This was a return match from last Friday's SmackDown! where Orton got the win. I was hoping that we'd get this return match and I thought this one was better than the one we saw last Friday. I love watching Dolph Ziggler sell as he really puts a ton of effort into it. He doesn't just sell for a second or two and move on as if nothing happened, like Sheamus does much of the time, but he puts his whole body into it. Ziggler took almost all of Orton's signature offense and came back to hit much of his own. The ending comes with Orton going for the RKO, only to be countered and pushed into the corner. Ziggler charges in but Orton sort of flips over him for that school boy roll up that he does sometimes. Ziggler rolls through the move and covers Orton while hooking both legs and grabbing a handful of tights. Ziggler gets the win over Orton just a bit before the 14 minute mark. A great effort and possibly the biggest win of Dolph Ziggler's career. We've seen him have matches against guys on the level of Cena & Orton before where he's looked great, but this was the first win he's gotten over one of them. ***1/4

Anger Management Classes - They showed a couple of these last night with Bryan & Kane in their second week of "anger management" therapy. Again, I thought these segments were hilarious. I'm legitimately surprised that these have turned out to be entertaining segments. I think it shows just how talented both Bryan & Kane are because this has had the potential to be a horrendously bad angle. Bryan calling Kane a teacher's pet in the first one got a pretty good laugh from the live crowd. The second one showed them going through trust exercises in which one person falls backward while trusting the other one to catch him. Bryan reluctantly does so and, surprisngly, Kane catches him. They then ask "Harold" to particpate and for Bryan & Kane to catch him. Expectedly, they both let him fall and he hits the ground with a loud thump. Bryan & Kane exchange a smile and ask each other if they knew that neither intended to catch "Harold". This suggested that Bryan & Kane might actually form a tag team. The third segment featured Kane & Bryan sort of breaking down and looking as though they were about to slug it out. The therapist goes ape shit and walks out leaving the two alone. Again, I thought these were a lot of fun. They were well done and didn't eat up a lot of time. Thumbs Up

2. Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara vs. Cody Rhodes & Tensai - Decent tag team match. Nothing overly special took place, just a logical continuation of Rhodes' obsession with Rey & Sin Cara's masks. Adding Tensai into the mix made sense when they touched on Sin Cara's quick win over him several weeks back. Mysterio & Sin Cara work well together and maybe they should head into the tag team picture. I'm not crazy about Cody Rhodes' angle of being obsessed with removing their masks, but I'm hoping it won't go on for long. The end comes with Mysterio hitting 619 before Sin Cara his the Senton off the top for the win at the 7.5 minute mark. **

Sheamus & CM Punk - Initially, I was a little disappointed in this. I was looking forward to this match but it didn't happen. Punk comes out still dressed in his street clothes and panders to the Chicago fans for a bit before telling them that since it's Labor Day, he's taking the day off and he leaves. However I like that WWE didn't just have Punk shamelessly suck up to the Chicago fans or that they eased off on Punk's heel turn just because he's in his home town. Backstage, as Punk is leaving, AJ confronts him and tells him he can't leave. He informs her that he has personal days in his contract and he's taking one before climbing into the passenger seat of a car. I'm hoping we'll get this match for the go home show to Night of Champions next week but, again, I like that WWE kept up and even progressed Punk's heel turn in his hometown. Thumbs Up

3. Sheamus vs. Jack Swagger - Pretty much what I expected here. Swagger looked good for much of the match but once Sheamus turned it on, he didn't last long after that. Sheamus hits most of his offense before putting Swagger in the Cloverleaf for the submission win at the 3 minute mark. Alberto Del Rio came down to ringside prior to this match and jumps in after Sheamus gets the win. They brawl for a bit before Sheamus gets the upper hand and delivers White Noise. He goes for the Brogue Kick but Ricardo rushes in and shoves Del Rio aside and eats the kick himself. Ricardo sold the crap out of that kick, which did look pretty stiff and just laid there like a a week old corpse. *1/4

4. Kaitlyn vs. Eve - This match was kind of a mess. Eve did her best to carry Kaitlyn but this girl still needs a lot of work. She's even worse at hitting the ropes than Kelly Kelly is. She's pretty sloppy inside the ring too. As I said, Eve did her best to carry her but it'd take a truly top level talent in the ring to carry Kaitlyn. Late in the match, the both take some kind of bump and I have no idea what they were trying to do. Eve shows "sportsmanship" and waits for Kaitlyn to get up before she hits her neckbreaker finisher for the win at the 3.5 minute mark. I know WWE wants to push Kaitlyn, but she's not ready. 1/2*

5. Ryback vs. Jinder Mahal - Same old same old from Ryback. Now that he's beaten Mahal on both SmackDown! and Raw, I'm hoping this is the end of the feud. N/A

Kane & Daniel Bryan - While this went on for longer than it needed to, I laughed my ass off. Again, Kane & Bryan are surprisingly very good in this angle and they've kept it entertaining. This was a Rawactive scenario in which fans could choose whether or not the two had a match, worked as a tag team or had to "hug it out". The hug option one with 55% of the vote. Both of them sold their reluctance & awkwardness extremely well throughout the segment. There were a couple of "false starts" and both tried to pass off a chest bump as a hug. Bryan first successfully completes a hug to a pretty big pop but Kane doesn't return it. Bryan complains vehemently to the ref that Kane didn't hug him, so they have to do it again. Eventually, Kane hugs Bryan but Bryan doesn't return it. Kane then complains that Bryan didn't hug him. Eventually, they both empbrace in a great awkward looking hug and the crowd popped huge. They even shook hands afterward before Kane slapped Bryan in a friendly manner across the arm. Bryan didn't like it all that much and returned the favor, only for Kane to slap his arm harder. It then degenerated into a shoving match before breaking down into a fight. Kane tosses Bryan all over ringside and lands a few chair shots before tossing him back into the ring. He delivers a chokeslam and then puts the chair over Bryan's head and throat before going to the top rope. Some refs run out to try and stop him, giving Bryan time to recover. He pops up and whacks Kane off the top with the chair before heading for the hills, leaving Kane to sell the shot to his arm in the ring. I dunno where they go from here but, and nobody is more surprised by this than me, but I think it'll be fun. Thumbs Up

6. Antonio Cesaro vs. Santino Marella for the WWE United States Championship - Not a lot to say about this match. It ultimately did what it was supposed to, however, and give Cesaro another decisive win over Santino. Santino's antics with the Cobra don't do a thing for me. Cesaro scores the win at the 2 minute mark after hitting his finisher. It's time to move Cesaro on to some real feuds & opponents as this makes the fourth consecutive match he's won over Santino. *

Vickie Guerrero & AJ Lee - There was a Zack Ryder vs. Heath Slater match prior to this. I didn't see it as my satellite lost the signal for a few minutes. I doubt that I missed much. Vickie stages a "sit in" in the ring and demands that AJ come out to apologize for slapping her. AJ eventually does come out looking a little humbled and informs everyone that the WWE Board of Directors have told her that she went over the line and that she's not to lay her hands on wrestlers, announcers or managers again. Vickie berates her and demands an apology a couple of times before slapping her a couple of times. After the second slap, AJ has a meltdown and starts screaming and slamming a chair against the mat. This went on for much longer than it should have and it did drag but I do like watching AJ do her crazy bit. She's gotten extremely good and conveying her emotions, especially her facial expressions. I just hope this doesn't lead to a match between them. Thumbs In The Middle

7. John Cena vs. Alberto Del Rio in a Falls Count Anywhere match - This was a strong physical match in which both Cena & Del Rio worked their asses off. The match was much better than I expected because I thought that it'd go just a few minutes before Punk or Sheamus or both came out and resulted in the match being tossed out as a no contest. They fought all over the ringside area, using the steps a few times. Cena took some hard shots as he was rammed into the ring post a few times as well. At one point, Cena has Del Rio on his shoulders and is going to AA him through the announce table. Del Rio gets out and lands a back suplex that puts both of them through the table for a good near fall. They start to fight backstage with Del Rio giving as good as he gets. They fight back through the interview area, knocking down & tearing up equipment before Cena manages to finally hit the AA on Del Rio, though he lands on top of some equipment cases so the "full impact" of the move wasn't there. As Cena tries to catch his breath, CM Punk pops out of nowhere and hits a roundhouse kick to Cena. He pulls Del Rio on top of him and Del Rio gets the pinfall at the 13 minute mark. As Cena lies half conscious, Punk squats down and says "respect" before getting back into his car. As it drives by, the driver of the car leans out the window and looks at Cena's prone body. I thought, for a minute, that it looked like Gene Okerlund. I can't see worth a shit. After taking a closer look, I saw that it was Paul Heyman driving which led to a huge pop from the crowd as the show went off the air. A great main event and the possible alliance between Heyman & Punk is a great hook for next week. ***1/4

Final Thoughts - Last night's show was a big improvement over the lackluster bore that made up most of last week's Raw. The two World Championship matches got some great hype but they need to do more for the other titles. The Tag, IC & US title matches haven't been announced yet. Punk did great in his role last night and I was happy that WWE didn't slack off his heel turn just because they were in Chicago and worked hard to get fans to boo Punk, which many of them did by the end of the night. Orton vs. Ziggler and Cena vs. Del Rio were both two strong matches, again a vast improvement over last week. Mysterio & Sin Cara vs. Rhodes & Tensai was decent while it lasted, the women's match was a mess and we got the typical Ryback treatment. So yeah, there was still some filler in the show. If WWE would just do away with the filler, the show would run so smoothly each week. I don't see why they don't devote the extra time in a constructive manner more often. Daniel Bryan & Kane continue to be entertaining in their angle and the tease of Punk being aligned with Paul Heyman was a fun tease and hook for next week's go home Raw. I was disappointed that we didn't get the Punk & Sheamus match, but I'm hoping we'll get it next week. The angle with AJ & Vickie isn't great and it ran too long last night, but I like seeing AJ sell her emotions. She's very good in her role.

Grade: B

Ok I am not entirely sure if this is in the right place because it has a lot to do with Cena Vs Del Rio last night so maybe it belongs in the Raw review but I put it here because it isn't a review of the match but rather a question about the stipulation. So if it needs to be moved then sorry about the inconvenience.

Now onto my question. Last night AJ decided that the match would be contested under a falls count anywhere stipulation, now to my knowledge that means that you can make the pinfall anywhere. In the ring, outside the ring, in the crowd, in the backstage, hell even out on the street. But other than being able to pin/submit your opponent anywhere you feel like it the other rules still apply, ie there should be disqualifications and no interference.

But last night there was weapons used and interference by CM Punk but yet there match continued. This match wasn't a no DQ match and it wasn't a falls count anywhere street fight. It was a straight up falls count anywhere match so why weren't there DQ's involved? When did the rules change on what a falls count anywhere match meant?

I know this shouldn't have really been an issue but it just bugged me last night when I was watching Raw and I wondered did anyone have an answer as to why it was no DQ?

Ok it's been awhile since I made an review about Raw here we go!

I loved Punk beating the Memphis outta Lawler, and I truely believe Lawler attacked Punk first lol.I guess King is jealous that he couldn't hang with Punk even in his prime.King kept on top in Memphis because of his microphone skills.The whole Sheamus segment I wanted to slap the shit outta the great white Sheamus like if he didn't expect to be booed.I loved how Punk almost went Ric Flair with his words meaning at one time Flair said to Tully Blanchard just before the Horsemen started, Flair said you might be a be a great Champion but, you are carrying a silver belt instead of the gold woo..

Orton vs Ziggler was solid, thank God Ziggler won.I love Ziggler beating former World Champions and Orton is one of the best.In that match it felt to me Orton was mentally out of it.I think it he was upset having to go over to Ziggler.Stop being spoiled motherfucker you beat Ziggler on Tuesday, share the wealth lol.

Cara/Mysterio vs Tensai/Rhodes I wanted to see more high flying and I hope with time these guys put on an aerial diplay kinda like how Air Boom did until Bourne lost his damn mind! Punk coming out in Jeans just after this made me laugh.I thought is he going to wrestle in Jeans if he does, and wins Sheamus is a true bum.

Katilyn vs Eve Torres confused the shit outta me.You have Katiyln win a match to get a Title shot versus Layla and you have her lose to Eve? That tells me Eve will make this match a triple threat and maybe Eve is playing the face gimmick to draw both ladies in, to strike at NOC who knows? Also Layla on commentary my Mother saw Layla and said I would pick that bitch up and toss her like a raggie Anne Doll lol.

Ok the anger management segment fucking love it.The person who came up with give them a raise.Now them later hugging and then fighting confused me.I thought Kane and Bryan could be one hell of a Tag Team, now them hugging and fighting tells me another match.Just imagine each other and hurt your opponents you humanoids!

Cesaro vs Santino.Boring, give Cesaro some new meat! Jinder Mahal vs Ryback, I wanted a sleeping pill watching Ryback I hate that fucker so much.Put him in a fucking legit feud already WWE! Vickie/AJ segment also confusing fuck the fighting you two..HLA!!!

Ok Main Event time Del Rio/Cena was solid enough fighting around the Arena, but we seen that before from those two.Now at the end Punk coming back didn't shock me but seeing Paul Heyman made me nearly drop my Laptop.Punk and Heyman match made in hell! Even though Punk doesn't need help to talk, Heyman will bring extra heat to this NOC match! I'm sold PUNK WINS AT NOC IT HAS TO BE.Who knows maybe Lesnar shows up and helps Cena lose he owes him one.Man seeing Heyman pop his head out gangster man.Overall the show was 7 outta 10, random segments..but I know next week will be glorious!

Monday was a pretty rough night for Raw in the ratings as the numbers have just come out.

The first hour of the show drew 4,308,000 viewers, which is a bit above average for the 8 pm hour. The second hour increased to 4,395,000 viewers while the third hour had a significant decrease to 3,907,000. Viewership from the second to third hour dropped by more than half a million. I haven't read what the Nielsen Rating is but I expect it'll be below 3.0.

With the start of the Fall television season right around the corner, and with it the start of Monday Night Football, these numbers have to make Vince queasy. Since Raw's gone to 3 hours, this is the first time the third hour has drawn less than the first hour. If Raw's ratings don't improve against MNF, then it might be going back to 2 hours.

This was the best RAW in many months, if not the best RAW since the one in Miami the day after Wrestlemania.

1.There was great matches - Dolph Ziggler vs Randy Orton and John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio.

2.Funny stuff - Daniel Bryan, Kane and Harold.

3.The Miz & Michael Cole = 100 times better than Michael Cole & Jerry Lawler.

4.CM Punk was the best thing of the night! He took me back to the Attitude Era.

5.Great crowd!

6.Mysterio & Sin Cara vs Kane & Daniel Bryan for the Tag Team Titles?

wwe-raw-september-3-cm-punk-paul-heyman.jpg

A Dangerous Alliance

CM Punk's quest for respect has taken a very "extreme" twist following the events of last week's episode of Raw, after he not only walked out of a Champion vs Champion Match against Sheamus and cost John Cena a victory in his Falls Count Anywhere Match against Alberto Del Rio. CM Punk got in Cena's face and uttered just one word before leaving in a black sedan: "Respect!" The driver of that particular car? None other than Paul Heyman, the legal adviser (and some would argue, handler) of the beast known as Brock Lesnar. It was over a year ago that Punk cut a promo heard around the world and proclaimed himself a "Paul Heyman guy." What does this all of this mean for the long-reigning WWE Champion and his challenger at Night of Champions?

Also on Raw

Tensions are heating up with regards to Raw General Manager AJ Lee. With the decree that she is no longer permitted to put her hands on Superstars and other contracted employees, AJ was verbally and physically bullied by Vickie Guerrero, manager of Mr. Money in the Bank Dolph Ziggler. With Superstars already showing less than absolute respect to her authority and with constant pressure coming from both sides of the spectrum, how will the already unstable AJ respond?

What a garbage end to RAW. The only thing that really put me on the edge of my seat was Cody Rhodes' attacking Miz, and Jerry Lawler passing out. I mean that like I was worried, anxious, if you will. The rest of the night just kind of dragged. I loved every single bit of Punk and Heyman tonight, though. Remain quiet for awhile, make it suspenseful.

Cody needed something to add to his abysmal feud with Sin Cara. Maybe on Smackdown, Cody, Rey, and Cara will want a match for the Intercontinental Title? Fatal Four Way, yes please. I assume Cody is a tweener now, what with dropping Rey Mysterio and The Miz in one night.

Why did Jerry have to get involved tonight? One, he can't go that well in the ring anymore. Two, his match had to have been in direct correlation with his collapse. Call me mean, but, I hope this results in Jerry only working backstage. I get tired of his commentary, very easily. Still praying he makes a full recovery though.

Bret Hart did nothing but nearly blow out my speakers every time he walked down to the ring. What did he accomplish tonight? I thought it was Pat Patterson Appreciation Night? Anyways, besides that very first segment of his with Punk, I don't feel Bret contributed much tonight, besides absolutely steamrolling whatever momentum Punk had. Dammit, Miz.

I had fun doing commentary with my little brother, considering Michael Cole respectfully remained silent most of the night. Overall. This RAW was nothing special of a pre-PPV show. Could have done much better, in my eyes.

Raw was a complete garbage, especially the last segment which imo showed clearly that the WWE is behind Cena.

Cena got the fans in montreal unrightfully behind him because of bret being behind him, and he completely used that fact against punk who was imo left to "an impossible to win" odds in that promo.

they wanted cena to beat punk in a promo , they wanted cena to be cheered in promo while punk being booed , but I've never imagined they would lower themselves to this garbage level to make cena look strong.

in any arena around the world, punk would have won that promo but cena used and unfairly benefited from Bret's appearance to attract them by sucking up to Bret .

I wouldn't be surprised if they use what happened to Jerry tonight to cause more heat towards Punk, like Punk coming out next week and saying how King deserved what happened to him.

Shameful...just shameful.

Making your champion for the last 10 months and the best wrestler in the world run away from a match against Randy Orton who taped out 2 weeks ago on smackdown to ADR :disappointed:

they want us to boo Punk to matter what, because all they care about is their golden boy being the face of the company.

well guess what WWE,.....I wouldn't be proud of Cena being the face of my a**, so I will still cheer Punk no matter what you make him do because he is the only interesting thing you got.

The WWE is getting extremely pathetic, the only things I see going right in the WWE now in the Kane and Daniel Bryan thing because it's kinda funny, and the IC title picture with Cody in.

I guess they are seriously considering turning Miz face now.

and yeah.....Was Cena really serious when he said that the WWE championship became irrelevant because of Punk reign ?

WWE Raw - September 11, 2012

Opening Segment - Solid opener featuring Punk & Bret Hart. While Punk is still getting a good amount of cheers, he's definitely drawing solid heat. The live crowd was very much behind Bret Hart last night and the fact that Punk interrupted him only put more heat on him. Bret Hart did his job well last night in that he didn't try to be the center of attention. He mostly just thanked the fans and briefly touched on the history of the Montreal Screwjob before Punk came out and put himself over as the best WWE Champion of all time and that he guaranteed victory at Night of Champions over John Cena. Punk didn't show a lot of fire, but I think he does very well as a condescending heel. Thumbs Up

1. Kofi Kingston & R-Truth vs. The Miz & Antonio Cesaro - This was a decent match that showcased the mid-card champs. There wasn't anything particularly great about the match, but there was some fun action and it's good to see Cesaro getting some air time on Raw. Kofi continues to shine and be the energy of his team in my opinion and his stuff drew strong pops from the Montreal crowd. The end comes about the 8 minute mark with Kofi hitting Trouble in Paradise on Cesaro for the win. Again, nothing especially wonderful, but a decent match that gave some attention to the mid-card titles and gave Cesaro some time on television. **

Legal Deposition - This segment was pretty lousy and, if anything, all it did was make me dislike Sheamus. Sheamus behaved like a stereotypical Irish clown, the problem is that Sheamus just isn't a funny guy. The point of this was for Sheamus to "defend" the use of his Brogue Kick rather that come off like a horse's ass. Sheamus' stuff about being Irish & Jewish was brutally bad, he's just not got the chops to be a laid back & fun loving babyface. With his look & style, he'd be much better off being portrayed similarly to Randy Orton. Thumbs Down

2. Layla, Eve Torres & Kaitlyn vs. Beth Phoenix, Natalya & Alicia Fox - The match was pretty much a throwaway, but it actually had some decent action while it lasted. The Diva matches have been better as of late as they devote the match to actually wrestling a match rather than the 30 second nonsense we're used to. Kaitlyn looked better here than she did last Monday though the girl still needs to work on running the ropes. Eve continued her current angle of being bubbly & supportive, so you know she's going to stab somebody in the back. The end comes when Eve tags herself in and hits Alicia Fox with her neckbreaker type finisher at the 2.5 minute mark. *

3. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk - This was a Rawactive match in which fans were given choices early on in the night whether Punk would face Brodus Clay, Jerry Lawler or Randy Orton. Thankfully, 75% chose Randy Orton. Orton & Punk put on a good solid match that showcased both of them well. I like that while WWE is making Punk a heel, they're not going the cowardly heel route. It wasn't as good as some of their matches in the past, but it was just a good solid match featuring good solid action. Orton hits the DDT on the ropes with Punk before Ziggler comes out to jump Orton from behind, ending the match a bit before the 14 minute mark. Punk & Ziggler double team Orton which causes Jerry Lawler to enter the ring and all four wrestlers start brawling before they go to commercial. **1/2

4. Randy Orton & Jerry The King Lawler vs. CM Punk & Dolph Ziggler - After coming back from commercial, we join this match in progress after AJ announced it during the commercial break. Ziggler looked good here and his antics got good responses from the live crowd. Lawler held up his own in the match and the WWE still portrayed him as someone that while courageous, he can't compete with guys like Ziggler & Punk. Lawler got in some shots on Ziggler before ultimately making the hot tag to Orton. During this match, Punk does good job of selling his general disinterest in this match as he's just sort of looking off to the side while looking bored. After a bit, Paul Heyman makes his way down to the ring and Punk jumps down from the apron to talk to him. Vickie screams that they're in the middle of the match while Punk & Heyman both ignore her and continue their talk. You can make out a little of what's said, which includes Punk & Heyman kind of insulting Montreal with Punk asking if there are any good resteraunts in town, with Heyman saying no. Punk also says something to the effect that the best thing about Montreal is leaving it. Vickie has a meltdown and screams her head off. With the camera angle, you can still see the match while watching what Punk & Heyman are up to. Heyman gets Punk's title and they start to walk out. Out of nowhere, Orton hits an RKO on Ziggler for the win at the 7 minute mark. The match was fun but it also accomplished several different things at once. It provided a good final pitch for Orton vs. Ziggler at NOC and given the way the match ended, it looks like Ziggler might be going over Orton this Sunday. Punk was also able to garner more great heat and continue the overall speculation as to what Heyman's ultimate role is going to be with Punk and how it might come into play this Sunday in Punk's match against Cena. The match was decent while it lasted and the overall storytelling for the match & segment was interesting. **

Kane & Daniel Bryan - There was a brief backstage segment featuring Kane & Bryan. They both met because they were told that they were wanted to be seen seperately in the office. As their tensions build, Dr. Shelby shows up which generates some laughs from the crowd. Kane & Bryan continue to show good chemistry together and Shelby tells them that he has a new exercise for them to try. An interesting little segment, nothing spectacular, just two guys doing very well in their current roles. Thumbs Up

5. Ryback vs. Heath Slater - Same story, different night when it comes to Ryback. It's time for WWE to either shit or get off the pot with this guy because it's getting extremely dull watching this guy wrestle two minute squash matches. Either put him in a feud or send him down to NXT or Superstars or something. NA

The Prime Time Players and AJ - While some people aren't crazy about these guys, I like them. They've got a lot of energy and with just a few tweaks, I think they can really be a couple of top heels. They do their routine with AJ telling them that they're annoying. AJ informs them that they're not #1 contenders for the tag titles as they haven't beaten "every team" and she informs them that their opponents are Kane & Daniel Bryan. It's an interesting dymanic as I like the idea of Bryan & Kane teaming up. It's good use for both of them right now. Nothing really good or bad about this segment, but it did its job in setting up a match. NA

6. Daniel Bryan & Kane vs. The Prime Time Players - This match was a lot better than I expected it to be. I figured it'd last about 2 minutes with Bryan & Kane either dominating these two or having a complete breakdown resulting in them losing. Bryan carried most of the match and did a great job of making Young & O'Neil look good. This match did more to ultimately make the PTPs look good than just about anything else they've been involved in. Bryan & Kane are both very over right now and are doing great in their roles in my eyes. The PTPs spend a good amount of time working Bryan over and they continued to tell a good story of the tension & mistrust between Bryan & Kane. Kane eventually manages to tag himself in after Bryan refuses to do so a few times and starts in on the PTPs. Late in the match, Bryan tags himself in with a big, taunting smile on his face before going over to the prone Young. Kane comes up behind him and spins him around. He picks Bryan up in a chokeslam and slams him down on top of Young before getting out of the ring. The ref makes the count as Bryan & Young are the two legal men and Bryan gets the three at the 8.5 minute mark. Bryan & Kane will now face Kofi & Truth at NOC for the tag titles. **1/4

Jerry Lawler Situation - At one point in Raw, the camera pans to Michael Cole with a solemn look on his face. He informs everyone that Jerry Lawler collapsed and fell out of his chair not long after his participation in his tag match with Orton. He explains that this isn't part of the show and that it's completely legit. He informs everyone with some updates throughout the night of Lawler's condition. Initially, he says that they rushed him back on a stretcher and they were performing CPR, which immediately let me know that something serious really was up. He'd inform everyone later that Lawler had been taken to the hospital and that he was responding to treatment, including breathing on his own though he was hooked up to oxygen. Commentary was silent throughout the last 40 minutes or so of the program and he said that they were doing that for Lawler's sake. We'd find out that Lawler legitimately suffered a heart attack via internet reports. Cole conducted himself very well here and treated the situation with the caution and respect it deserved. Thumbs Up

7. Tyson Kidd vs. Alberto Del Rio - This match was better than I expected. It was only about 3 minutes, but they packed in a good amount of action in the 3 minutes. The crowd was pretty silent here as some were wondering about Jerry Lawler and some just weren't into the match. Kidd got in some decent offense and even locked in the Sharpshooter for a bit. The crowd came alive at the prospect of a possible upset here. The fact that Kidd was able to keep Del Rio in the move for as long as he did made me think, just for a moment, that they might be throwing Kidd a bone. Del Rio eventually manages to get out of the move and mount some offense. He eventually locks in the Cross Armbar for the submission win. While it was a showcase match for Del Rio, it also got Kidd some airtime on Raw. *1/4

8. Sheamus vs. David Otunga - This match was exactly what we've seen a hundred times before. I don't know why WWE continues to give us 3 minute matches where Otunga is fed to the likes of Sheamus or John Cena or Randy Orton. It's not entertaining in the least and it's just flat out boring. There's only so many times you can see Otunga get mauled. This match was a piss break. NA

9. Rey Mysteiro vs. Cody Rhodes - While this match was brief, it was quite good while it lasted and felt like it went longer than it actually did. Mysterio & Rhodes packed in a good amount of action and they continue to work well together. Both got in a good amount of offense and Cody's antics drew some nice heat from the crowd. At one point, it looks like Mysterio is going for 619 but The Miz jumps up onto the apron only to be taken down by Mysterio. Cody comes up from behind and locks Mysterio in for CrossRhodes. Cody hits the move and gets the win at the 4.5 minute mark. As Miz comes in to kick on Mysterio, Rhodes suddenly grabs Miz and puts him in CrossRhodes. It was very surprising, just didn't see it coming. He then grabs the IC title and holds it up over his head before draping it over Miz. An interesting turn of events at the end of a short but fun match. **1/2

Bret Hart, John Cena & CM Punk - While some hated this segment, I enjoyed it. The WWE went the route of pushing some of the hot buttons of the IWC and judging by the two responses I've read in this thread thus far, it worked like a charm. Relax people. Just because Cena said that Punk's reign is "irrelevant" doesn't make it so. It was a great shot at Punk and his whole quest for "respect". Cena showed a lot of fire here and I'm glad that they've ultimately kept contact between the two generally at a minimum. Punk continued to put himself over and he really shines as this type of heel in my eyes. He put himself over as being better than Bret Hart, being better than The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, etc. Everything that Punk did & said throughout the night was designed to garner heat and it worked. Cena's comments towards Punk, not to mention Bret Hart punching him before Punk retreated from the ring, has the IWC in an uproar and it's perfect. If WWE does have Punk drop the belt this Sunday, then it'll really be a huge & unfortunate blow. I don't believe it'll happen, however, and this only serves to make the IWC want to see Cena get beaten even more. Once again, the WWE is playing the IWC like a fiddle and are doing it masterfully. Thumbs Up

Final Thoughts - Last night's show had a lot going on. Ultimately, it'll be remembered because of what happened to Jerry Lawler. Lawler's condition did put something of a damper on things, there's no way around that. The WWE handled it well though and they did it in a classy way. Overall, I thought it was a solid go home show that featured some good final hype for the ppv. It wasn't the strongest go home Raw, but I thought they made good use of their time. The two main promo segments came off well, especially the one closing the show, and did their job of further hyping the WWE Championship match at NOC. The second promo was great in my eyes because it pushed a lot of the hot buttons that some people have had regarding Punk's run. The WWE is manipulating internet fans and getting them to want to see Punk beat Cena all the more, which I think probably will happen this Sunday. Wrestling action on the show all in all was pretty decent. There were a few filler matches like Ryback vs. Slater and Sheamus vs. Otunga. Punk vs. Orton was a good solid match as was, surprisingly, the impromptu tag match afterward. The first half hour of the second hour was devoted to building heat on Punk and highlighing Orton vs. Ziggler. A good use of half an hour in my opinion. Kane & Daniel Bryan continue to be entertaining and I was surprised how much I enjoyed their match with the PTPs. Bryan & Kane winning & going onto NOC for a tag title shot is interesting, something I didn't really expect going into the show. Mysterio vs. Rhodes was also a surprisingly good match given the amount of time they had. It felt like a 9 minute match rather than a 4.5 minute one, and I mean that in a good way. Rhodes finally scoring a win was nice and I was surprised that he jumped Miz after the match was over. I'm guessing that we'll get Rhodes vs. Miz for the IC title. The opening bout featuring Kofi & Truth vs. Miz & Cesaro was decent. Nothing especially great, but it was a decent match that got Cesaro some air time on Raw. The segment featuring Sheamus defending the Brogue Kick was awful, just plain lousy, and was really the lowest point of the show in my eyes. All in all, I thought Raw was pretty solid last night, the Jerry Lawler situation notwithstanding.

Grade: B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back