Official Raw/Smackdown Aftermath, Ratings and Review Thread

Grade tonight's RAW.

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Final Thoughts - Personally, I don't know what anyone's complaining about. I thought last night's show was great from top to bottom. There were a few things I wasn't that wild about, like Del Rio vs. Santino and Kidd vs. Tensai, but I thought the show was very entertaining for the most part. The show delivered solid hype & strong build for SummerSlam, several wrestlers were given chances to shine, several current feuds & storylines were given a good amount of hype & further build and the show delivered three strong wrestling matches. That's not to say that there wasn't some filler, such as the brief Tout videos and the double replay of Triple H & Lesnar. However, everything on the show had a purpose. They did a good job of hyping CM Punk throughout the show, Damien Sandow did us all a favor by possibly starting a feud with Brodus Clay & ending what would've been an abortion of a segment, AJ did a good & compotent job as GM, Daniel Bryan excelled in my eyes tonight, the main event for SummerSlam is set. By next week, I imagine that Miz vs. Christian & Ziggler vs. Jericho will be announced for SummerSlam and their individual feuds got good attention as well. I'm sorry but, I just don't understand the complaints. Good wrestling, good use of time in order to hype the upcoming ppv, good progression of current feuds & storylines.

Grade: B+

Most of the complaints were about the constant ads and matches that we have already seen multiple times like Cena vs show, tensia vs kidd, del rio vs santino, and sheamus and bryan.

@Jack-Hammer, always enjoy reading your views whether I agree or not, as for what people are complaining about, well I can't answer for everyone but to me just because a show progresses angles doesn't mean I enjoy it if I don't like the direction they are progressing in, simple as that.

I enjoyed the show but am really hoping they're going to give more people chances to appear and give them significant things to do. Last night, we just saw more of the same performers we've been seeing all along: Punk appeared more than we would normally see him on RAW, as did Cena, Big Show and Daniel Bryan.

If giving the headliners even more to do is the formula the company has determined to be the best way to make a 2-hour show into 3-hours, then so be it. But since the end of the brand split, many of the favored employees have been doing double-duty on both shows: Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Big Show, Cody Rhodes (though not last night for Cody, which is interesting) ......even CM Punk has appeared on Smackdown several times.

If the 3-hour RAW is to remain a permanent event, I think they should give genuine storylines to other people. The variety would be welcome.

Last night (8/6), Raw was much, much better than last Monday's show. The pacing was better, there was more ring wrestling (10 matches!) and they didn't overload us with backstage segments that feature the same characters we saw too much of the week before. Sure, we got to see Punk, Cena, Show and Daniel Bryan but they didn't drown us with them as they did last week.

This time, we saw a mix of stars (Orton, Dolph), mid-carders (Del Rio, Mysterio), up-and-comers (Sandow, Ryback), lower-carders (Riley, Reks, Hawkins) and even a better-than-usual divas match in which the gals were allowed to work for 5-6 minutes instead of the usual 40-second mess.

I loved the backstage session in which A.J. and Daniel were trading "yes" and "no" barbs. Her timing and delivery were terrific; if she isn't the most adorable little thing ever, I miss my guess.

Finally, I appreciated the way they opened and closed the show with in-ring confrontations involving Cena, Punk and Big Show. It tied the proceedings together and gave a theme to the entire episode.

My only criticism? Way, WAY, WAY too many crowd shots by the cameras. When Daniel Bryan is coming down the aisle and confronting a fan (tearing up the guy's sign) they cut to a crowd shot. When you want to measure Cena's reaction immediately after pinning Daniel in a tough match, the camera cuts to a crowd shot. For gosh sakes, we know the crowd is there, we don't need to be shown long distance views of the audience watching the match at moments we should be treated to the reactions of the principals in the contest. WWE usually gives us a lot of these camera views, but last night they really overdid it. In the 10 seconds after Alex Riley upset Dolph Ziggler, they cut to three crowd shots. Much too much.

My only criticism? Way, WAY, WAY too many crowd shots by the cameras. When Daniel Bryan is coming down the aisle and confronting a fan (tearing up the guy's sign) they cut to a crowd shot. When you want to measure Cena's reaction immediately after pinning Daniel in a tough match, the camera cuts to a crowd shot. For gosh sakes, we know the crowd is there, we don't need to be shown long distance views of the audience watching the match at moments we should be treated to the reactions of the principals in the contest. WWE usually gives us a lot of these camera views, but last night they really overdid it. In the 10 seconds after Alex Riley upset Dolph Ziggler, they cut to three crowd shots. Much too much.

I wonder if the tactic is to show the fans at home how exciting it is for people to be at a live event. I don't know how live event ticket sales are doing but if you want to promote a live event it may make people take more notice if they think they have a chance to get on TV. Everyone wants to be a TV star.

I only caught pieces of the show but I enjoyed what I saw. I want to know what Ferrari was thinking when they designed a car that can smoke out of the driver's side door. WWE is definitely putting more effort (see money) in to the non-wrestling segments. I missed the Brodus/Sandow confrontation but I hope they get a place and some decent time on the SS card. Punk is doing what he has to do right now to get over as a heel, Cena/Bryan was great, DB in general has carried the show in my eyes over the last two weeks.

I give this show 976 apples out of 47 turnips.

I wonder if the tactic is to show the fans at home how exciting it is for people to be at a live event.

Yes, I'm sure that's what they're aiming for, and I'm not suggesting they should never show shots of the crowd. However, you'll notice they use the same formula for every single televised match: the split second the contest ends, they cut to a crowd shot. Personally, I want to see the immediate reactions of the winner and loser; the shots of the crowd going wild could wait a few seconds. If a wrestler is going to celebrate an important victory, he/she is going to display that reaction the second the match ends.

Really, the crowd shots they show are at such long distance anyway, you can't pick out how excited they are just to be there; all you see are masses of people at long range. In the Cena-Bryan match, for instance, John worked long and hard for his victory, I would much rather have watched him savor his win than have the fans do it for me.

Yes, I'm sure that's what they're aiming for, and I'm not suggesting they should never show shots of the crowd. However, you'll notice they use the same formula for every single televised match: the split second the contest ends, they cut to a crowd shot. Personally, I want to see the immediate reactions of the winner and loser; the shots of the crowd going wild could wait a few seconds. If a wrestler is going to celebrate an important victory, he/she is going to display that reaction the second the match ends.

Really, the crowd shots they show are at such long distance anyway, you can't pick out how excited they are just to be there; all you see are masses of people at long range. In the Cena-Bryan match, for instance, John worked long and hard for his victory, I would much rather have watched him savor his win than have the fans do it for me.

Gotcha, but I feel differently. I like the crowd reaction better when it is huge and people are getting off their seat. There is something about a mass of humanity rising up in unison that makes the event more special for me. I think the wrestlers can hold their reaction if need be but the crowd's reaction is totally organic and needs to get attention when it is big.

The most standout moment was oodly enough Sandow, who got ton of heat for beating up Brodus Clay. He is doing well as a "snooty" heel, and for once his heel persona *ISENT* a Chris Jericho knock off, ie: mundane, slow talking, boring mic work.

But the show as a whole was bad, i judge shows based on the main event angle and the last moment of the show. Done so since 1994, every Raw/Smackdown/Nitro needed to have a good ending that will make you want to watch next week. This had none of that

Nobody cares about the Big Show, a complete waste to have him there. He takes away from Cena vs Punk Part II feud, that could be good but not with Show

WWE Raw - August 6, 2012

Opening Segment - A good, solid opener for Raw that featured some good interaction between Punk & AJ and then Punk & Cena. I also like that they haven't gone the route of portraying Punk as a snivelingly cowardly heel. Given how the show went off the air last week with Punk complaining to AJ about the triple threat match, I thought they were going that route, so I'm thankful they didn't. Punk still tried to get AJ to reconsider, but he didn't kiss up to her. I also liked that AJ put her foot down once Big Show came out. AJ is someone that has a surprisingly broad emotional range that she's able to tap into when the circumstances require it. She books all three of the wrestlers in matches for the night, including CM Punk. I also like that Punk complained at first, thinking he wasn't going to be in a match. Again, like Bryan, Punk is being portrayed as something of a douche bag, but not a cowardly one. AJ made Punk's match a Rawactive match with Rey Mysterio, Kane & The Miz as potential partners. My only complaint is that Punk's match didn't go on later in the show, but a good segment all in all that didn't drag out longer than was needed. Thumbs Up

1. CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio in a Rawactive match - After the break, the voting results were revealed with Mysterio getting the most. The match itself was very solid in my eyes. It's not as good as most of their ppv matches a few years back, but it was a good showing from both men. The match wasn't as fast paced as I expected, but I don't mind Punk's more methodical style in this match against Rey. Rey's so fast and agile that it makes sense to keep him grounded for a good bit. There was some good back and forth action with Rey hitting most of his signature offense and Punk just coming back. Rey manages to hit 619 on Punk before going for the big splash. Punk gets his knees up just in time before hitting Rey with the GTS for the clean win at the 10.5 minute mark. A good clean win for Punk over a beloved & popular babyface. **3/4

2. Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio - Prior to this match, Del Rio talks with AJ about how he shouldn't have to compete until SummerSlam. AJ says she doesn't have him scheduled for a match before walking off. Del Rio says he's glad she didn't do something crazy, which sets AJ off so she puts him in this match. As for the match itself, it was ok. Certainly nothing compared to the great matches we saw between Christian & Del Rio last year, but it was good for what it was. The match was well paced and it did have a lot of action, so much that it felt like the match was longer than it actually was. Del Rio winds up winning with the armbar submission at the 3.5 minute mark. As Del Rio celebrated, Sheamus appears on the Titantron and compliments Del Rio on his Ferrari. He says that Ricardo left the keys in the ignition and he decides to take the car for a sight seeing tour of San Antonio before driving off. *1/2

3. Randy Orton vs. The Big Show - Pretty decent match between the two. Nothing overly spectacular, but a solid 6 minute match that had both guys looking pretty good. Show did his thing as the near unstoppable babyface well and Orton did well as the tenacious babyface giving it everything he has. Orton looked good, I don't see any signs of ring rust. The end comes with Orton being knocked outside the ring. After fighting for just a bit, Big Show hits a spear on the outside of the ring, causing both to be counted out. Show tosses Orton back into the ring and goes for the WMD. Orton ducks and manages to land an RKO. For some reason, the WWE just can't go without having Orton land his finisher if a match ends via DQ or count out. **

4. Ryback vs. Curt Hawkins & Tyler Reks - Pretty decent for what it was. The match went about 3 minutes, which is about twice as long as I expected. It was nice to see Ryback get something of a real match but, at the same time, Hawkins & Reks deserve better in my view. They'e both pretty talented and I don't see why they're not in the tag team picture right now. However, at least they got some decent exposure on Raw this week. Reks & Hawkins actually controlled most of the match and hit some nice looking offense on Ryback. The end comes with Ryback backdropping Hawkins over the top and into Reks before he goes out and tosses Hawkins back in. He picks Hawkins up and delivers his finisher for the win. *1/2

4. Primo & Epico vs. The Prime Time Players - A decent tag team match, better than I was expecting, and the live crowd is starting to warm up to both teams as they got decent pops & heat throughout the match. I thought Darren Young looked really solid out there and this match made me want to see a good 15 minute match between these two teams at some point. Late in the match, Kofi & Truth come out wearing suits to cut off the PTP's retreat. Epico & Primo came out and they brawled for a bit, with the Players getting the upper hand. Darren Young & Epico are back in the ring, the two legal men. They go at it for a bit more with Young getting distracted by Kofi & Truth. Epico comes up from behind and delivers the Backstabber for the win at the 5 minute mark. There was some good energy to this match and I'm glad to see all three of these teams are getting decent response from the crowds. **1/4

Brodus Clay & Damien Sandow - Prior to this match, Sandow cuts a brief backstage promo with Josh Matthews and does his usual thing. I really like listening to this guy on the mic. As Clay is making his entrance, Sandow runs up from behind and clips him from behind. He then launches into another aggressive assault on Brodus Clay and continues to focus on Clay's left knee. Just a good, solid beatdown from Sandow and he's someone that's getting strong heat on Raw, even though he's only made a small handful of appearances. I just hope that they don't make Sandow look like a chump against Brodus when the two finally have a match. Thumbs Up

AJ Lee & Daniel Bryan - They featured another brief, backstage segment featuring AJ & Bryan. I enjoy the dynamic between these two as they've really proven some poeple wrong in my opinion. They're both good at using their facial expressions & body language to tell a story during their promos. Bryan states that after he beats Cena tonight, AJ should make the WWE Championship match at SummerSlam a 4-way. AJ states that Bryan is already scheduled for a match at SummerSlam against Kane. Bryan & AJ launch into a duel of "Yes!" and "No!" chants. With AJ's frequent mentioning of the phrase "anger management", it makes me think that Charlie Sheen will have some sort of involvement in Bryan's match. After all, Anger Management is the name of Sheen's show on FX. Thumbs Up

6. Kelly Kelly vs. Eve Torres - This was Kelly Kelly's first appearance on Raw in a few months. While nothing to write home about, this match was still considerably better than most Diva matches on television are. They were given a pretty good amount of time for a Diva match, roughly 4 minutes, with Kelly looking pretty decent. All in all, a better effort from the Divas than what we're used to. Kelly gets the win with a hurricanrana pinning combination. *1/4

Shawn Michaels, Brock Lesnar, Paul Heyman & Triple H - A good segment here that gave the Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar match at SummerSlam a little more juice with the announcement that HBK will be in Triple H's corner. The segment didn't last nearly as long as I thought it would, which isn't a bad thing really as they've had several segments & matches on tonight's show that've featured younger talent. HBK tells Lesnar that he thinks Triple H will win and just as Lesnar looks like he's going to attack Shawn, Triple H's music hits and he comes out in a t-shirt & jeans with his forearms taped up looking ready to fight. Lesnar laughs and tells him he'll see him at SummerSlam. He tells HBK that he'll see him before SummerSlam, so maybe they'll do a segment next week or the week after in which Lesnar delivers a beatdown to HBK. Thumbs Up

7. Alex Riley vs. Dolph Ziggler - An ok match that did a good job of further hyping the Ziggler/Jericho feud. Jericho did a good job on commentary and Ziggler also did a good job of showing off inside the ring, which Jericho used to help tell the story of the match. The action was pretty decent and it set up the story nicely of Jericho being the seasoned & patient veteran while Ziggler as a cocky show off that can be distracted, thus providing a possible strategy for Jericho to exploit. The end comes with Ziggler talking trash to Jericho as Jericho stands up. Riley comes up from behind and rolls Ziggler up for a surprising win at the 4.5 minute mark. Jericho remarks that he can still win "the big one" while Ziggler can't even win "the little one" against Alex Riley. Nice progression of their feud here and it's announced during commercial that Jericho will host the Highlight Reel on SD! this Friday with Ziggler as his guest. *1/2

8. The Miz vs. Kane - This was another match that had a good deal of action into a short amount of time. The match only went 4 minutes, but it felt like about twice that. The crowd was pretty flat for this match, which is understandable to some degree since both these guys are heels. There's nobody really to root for. All in all, pretty solid back and forth match. I like that Miz is being portrayed as more tenacious than he has been in the past, it does make him seem a lot different. A few tweaks here and there can do that. I was surprised at the ending with Kane getting the clean win via the chokeslam. Miz could've used the win here but, then again, so did Kane. I guess Kane vs. Bryan is a higher priority right now than Miz as IC champ. I don't see the loss as really hurting Miz, he has only returned recently and this only makes his third or fourth match since being back. **1/4

9. John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan - A strong main event to close things out with. It was a very nice mix of Styles with Cena as the near inhumanly strong, never-say-die baby face against Bryan as this tenaciously skilled little pitbull. They definitely didn't go all out for this match, but they certainly delivered a very good match all the same. Bryan's intensity is great and he got in a lot of offense on John Cena. There were a couple of good near falls spread here and there during the match, including Bryan's big diving headbutt that went about three quarters of the way across the ring. Close to the end, Cena locks Bryan in the STFU and Bryan contemplates tapping. Bryan countered the move skillfully and tries to lock Cena in the "No! Lock". He's not quite able to get it locked in and Cena counters with his strength by standing up and swinging Bryan onto his shoulders. Cena then delivers the Attitude Adjustement for the win at the 14 minute mark. The live crowd was hot for this match from beginning to end and both men got great responses. It would've been great to see Bryan get a victory here, I expected CM Punk to pop up and provide a distraction or maybe nail Cena from behing. However, I'm not surprised it didn't go down this way. ***1/4

Closing Segment - As Cena celebrates, Punk's music hits and he comes down to the ring. He climbs in, stands in front of Cena and holds up the WWE Championship. Big Show is running down the ramp and Cena shoves Punk out of the way. Cena is able to pick Show up for the AA before Punk pushes him over just like he did last week. Punk goes for another roundhouse kick on Big Show, but Show catches his leg and hits him with WMD. As Cena is starting to stand up, Show hits him with WMD as well. He picks up the title and poses over the prone bodies of both his SummerSlam opponents to close the show. Thumbs Up

Final Thoughts - I thought that Raw was another highly entertaining show this week. After comparing the two shows, I have to agree with other posters today that've said last night's show had a smoother pace to it. Another plus for this show is that there were several matches or segments that featured young talent that allowed them to further their current storylines. That didn't really happen so much last week. There was a lot of wrestling action on last night's Raw as well, with 9 matches in total. While most of the matches were on the short side, they made good use of the time they had and they didn't feel like filler. Most of them had a good amount of energy to them and managed to accomplish goals. All in all, last night's Raw made good use of the extra time. There were two solid promo segments that I'm pleased didn't eat up tons of time. Most of the matches were at least solid while Punk vs. Mysterio & Cena vs. Bryan were two strong tv matches. They were good matches and I felt like they didn't give everything away. We've seen Punk & Rey have better matches a few years back and I'm sure Cena & Bryan could put on a potential match of the year candidate everytime out if they wanted to. Damien Sandow, the key players in the tag team picture, Hawkins & Reks and the Jericho/Ziggler feud all got decent to good exposure on last night's Raw. There were no skits, no constant replays of past events, no foolishness with Santino or Hornswoggle. Just overall solid wrestling, solid promo segments, solid storytelling and solid exposure for some younger & fresh talent on the roster.

Grade: B+

Boy, was I indifferent to see Big Show standing tall at the end of the show. Call me crazy, but I would rather Big Show win than Cena. Not saying I want Show to win, though. I have never found myself more involved in a RAW main event, not including RAW 1000, than i was tonight. Every time Daniel Bryan would have the upper hand, I screamed yes at the TV until I hurt my throat. Then Johnny came back with the five moves of doom. NO! NO! NO! Wait, Daniel's reversing it into a Yes Lock? No Lock? Lebell Lock? Whatever. Then Cena tries the STF. Nope. My heart skipped a beat seeing that diving headbutt Bryan did, I marked so hard, I always compare him to Benoit. Cena wins, then down comes CM Punk. After some sort of altercation, Punk blasted Jerry Lawler on commentary. PIPE-BOMB!

We could have done without the constant replays, and the Sheamus updates. EY FELLA! BERTIE! RIGHTCH! RICKY RICARDO! I'LL KICK HIS ARSE!

Chris Jericho couldn't have been better on commentary. My first thought seeing A-Ry in the ring was "Feed me More!" Then Dolph Ziggler came out. It's all fun and games until Chris Jericho wants a picture of Ziggler. Not on Dolph's watch. Unfortunately, Dolph wasn't watching the right side of the arena, and hand delivered Alex Riley his first win of 2012.

Cm Punk vs Rey Mysterio almost delivered, just needed some more time. That modified triangle hold looked beautiful. Anyone notice that Rey is doing better now that he's hadd time off? Leaner, quicker, more agile. Punk picks up the win in this contest.

Del Rio vs Christian did well in my eyes. I was talkin to my buddy while watchin RAW, and he said, and I quote, "Christian's shirt has a twitter symbol with a C on it, what a nerd." Then I killswitched his ass through my floor. Vitamin C! Del Rio picks up the win, then Triple S, I mean Sheamus steals "Bertie's" car. Come's back with it trashed, and tells some guy backstage that he's sorry for the smell, mexican food goes right through him. Did he crap in the car? I assume so. Delinquent trash.

I do not believe my eyes. The Divas are on RAW. Kelly Kelly returns from hiatus, and Eve wrestles for once. This was surprisingly an enjoyable match. The first pinfall attempt wasn't the last, it lasted longer than a minute, and Kelly looks better than I remember. Eve is still my number one when it comes to looks, though.

How could I almost forget Shawn Michaels? Shawn comes down to the ring. I'M JUST A SEXY BOY! Not too long after, Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman come down. Shawn says he'll be in HHH's corner at SS. Lesnar looks about ready to kill someone, he was sweating like crazy. Time to play the game. Triple H keeps him from hitting Michaels. Lesnar tells Michaels he'll see him before Summerslam.

Stay sober, my friends.

-I thought they dropped the ball with Lesner/HBK/Heyman segment. They should of had Lesnar attack HBK instead. Brock beating up Shawn in his hometown would of added so much heat and made his feud with Triple H much more personal.

I didn't like Shawn coming out and hyping the HHH vs Lesnar match. I thought the "I need to give my opinion" thing was lame. HBK was apart of the Undertaker/HHH angle because of his personal history with both. I dont really get why they need him to be in Triple H's corner. That feels like overbooking. I thought Heyman was great on the mic, but Brock is a trainwreck. When he pointed and said "I'll see you at Summerslam" it just made me laugh.

-I didn't see the need for Orton vs Show match. They were trying to protect both guys. They would of been better just giving Orton a lower end guy to have a quick match with.

Here’s my thoughts on Lesnar vs Triple H, After Brock told Shawn he would see him sooner it made me think, I would say Shawn costs Hunter his match with Brock which leads to HHH vs HBK @ WM 29!

As not the biggest WWE fan in the world, I usually just fast forward most RAWs, shrug my shoulders and think meh, same, same. As I'm not as emoptionally attached to it as many peeps, I don't get really emotional, if their shows suck or not.

So with that out of the way I would like to say I really enjoyed this week's episode of Raw. Very wrestling heavy. and to quote Jackhammer "There were no skits, no constant replays of past events, no foolishness with Santino or Hornswoggle. Just overall solid wrestling, solid promo segments, solid storytelling and solid exposure for some younger & fresh talent on the roster." This included of course AJ who keeps getting better every week.

I wont go into all of it as it all has been mentioned but the two big things for me were:

1. Shawn Michaels/Heyman/Brock Lesnar - I have never cared for HHH and never will. I'm not one of those guys who don't like him for politics or whatever I just find him very boring especially as a face. But Michaels and Lesnar in the same ring, the mic work of Heyman and although Brock's mic work is at times poor, his quick "..because you've never been in the ring with me.. until now..." was awesome. Then there was the foreshadowing that Lesnar is going to make it really personal with HHH and will attack Michales before the Summerslam match... I always wanted to see Brock vs. Michaels, and although that wont happen, man this was great for me.

2. Of course, the main event, Cena vs. Bryan.... on free tv!!!! As a huge Bryan fan and a Cena detractor, I thought they would do this on ppv first. The match was ok. It seemed Bryan was really pulling his movest a little in the first half of the match, making sure he doesn't hurt or stiff the face of the WWE. As a Bryan fan I was dissapointed Cena won the way he did with a fantastic counter. It kind of went away from Cena and Bryan's gimmicks, but Cena is known for his power so picking up the smaller Bryan worked in the end.

All in all a very happy "wrestling" fan after watching what was a great Raw and a great advertsiement for their new 3 hour format.

Am I the only one who thought this got Vickie even more over as a heel (which I didn't think was possible) but did nothing for Ziggler?

I'm a firm believer in Ziggler needing mic time, even if he stays with Vickie, to get really over. He's getting over no doubt, but he hasn't truly broken out yet. He's gotten over almost entirely on his ability to put on good matches. But where he lacks is on the mic. A lot of that is because he doesn't get a lot of time on it.

It's ok if some segments Vickie does most or all (in this case) of the talking. But the one where Jericho calls himself out as Y2J again? Where he's clearly, undoubtedly completed his face turn? You're going to let Vickie dominate the heel segment and have Dolph do nothing but act more as her bodyguard? To me, that's bad booking.

Maybe I'm over thinking it? I'm sure some people will say so. All I know is by the end of the segment all I was thinking was how much I wanted to see Vickie get her ass beat (figuratively. Not like Jericho should hit her) and Dolph Ziggler was just there.

I guess I could look at it as it was Dolph Ziggler's plan all along, and that's the way the announcer (maybe) tried to spin it, but that still doesn't change how it came off. And it definitely doesn't change the fact that there was a Highlight Reel and Dolph Ziggler got NO mic time.

Thoughts?

Y2J is back baby! :worship: that was a true mark-out moment for myself, as I am an unashamed Jerichoholic. To answer your question however, I agree that Vickie did too much talking, especially since the feud is between Ziggler and Jericho. However, if they'd have made Ziggles come out and do the insulting instead of Vickie, they would've HAD to make Jericho squash Dolph...again. The guy reinstating himself as a fan-favorite persona can't do down clean to the guy he's been humiliating week-in and week-out. The way it was played out allowed both men to come out strong. On Jericho's side, the fans can make excuses for him such as, "he was blindsided, there's no way that would have happened otherwise! He's Y2J!" So as lame as that part was, it was needed in order to make both men still come out strong.

Y2J is back baby! :worship: that was a true mark-out moment for myself, as I am an unashamed Jerichoholic. To answer your question however, I agree that Vickie did too much talking, especially since the feud is between Ziggler and Jericho. However, if they'd have made Ziggles come out and do the insulting instead of Vickie, they would've HAD to make Jericho squash Dolph...again. The guy reinstating himself as a fan-favorite persona can't do down clean to the guy he's been humiliating week-in and week-out. The way it was played out allowed both men to come out strong. On Jericho's side, the fans can make excuses for him such as, "he was blindsided, there's no way that would have happened otherwise! He's Y2J!" So as lame as that part was, it was needed in order to make both men still come out strong.

The problem with your argument is he was blind-sided when he already knew Ziggler was in the ring. Sure, Ziggler attacked first when Jericho didn't know he was there, but Jericho took him down. Then, knowing Ziggler was in the ring, he put his attention on Vickie. That's when Ziggler got the best of Jericho. So they could've easily played it out the exact same way if Ziggler was originally in the ring talking.

Been a big fan of both Y2J and Dolph for a long time now and I can't help but feel that Vickie's ruining this great feud.

I don't see the point of keeping her around she's not even a good heel, she gets the same X-pac heat as Cole and Laurinaitis that makes you wanna turn off your television everytime they're on.

Who has Vickie putten over anyway? Don't say Edge.. we all know he got over by himself when he cashed in his MITB.

It's really a good thing that they're putting both of them over, though. It's getting more and more difficult to predict who will actually win at Summerslam. I'd love to see Ziggler get that extra push from beating Jericho, but what with the Y2J resurrection and all, it could go either way.

Who has Vickie putten over anyway? Don't say Edge.. we all know he got over by himself when he cashed in his MITB.

Edge is actually what got Vickie half-way over for a short period of time. Since splitting from him Vickie has only proven to me that she is terrible and does not belong on TV period.

I want Dolph to break away from her so bad. He needs to split from her and start going on his own. This fued with Jericho is perfect for him as Jericho can really push him to break out. The only question is if WWE creative will let him.

This is exactly why the PG rating has killed the product. Michaels was put through a car window and beaten savagely, yet not a drop of blood. Why couldn't they douse him in fake blood and scramble his face to keep it PG? Brock couldn't punch him, kick him or show any physicality... Michaels selling basically an F5 was just plain a joke. Brock is an A$$ kicker, but her performs wrestling moves in a brawl? Then, there was no cursing, no going crazy, no NORMAL reaction when HHH came out. Hunter just stood in the ring and yelled at Brock who was a mere few feet away on the ring apron.

Suspension of disbelief nothing, this was a joke! I have never seen an ending to RAW or any other wrestling show that was so phony, so ridiculous.

I didn';t really like RAW tonight it seems to me going to a 3hr format has given them the excuse to use more filler and rubbish I ended up FFwding through most of it.

I thought that last night's Raw was pretty solid all in all. There were a few things that just didn't do it for me and there was too much filler in the first hour. If WWE plans to keep the three hour format permanently, then having Sin Cara vs. Tensai in 90 second matches and Heath Slater doing his tired routine aren't good ways to fill up air time.

Aside from that, I thought Raw did a strong job of hyping the main points for SummerSlam last night. It delivered a few buzzworthy items and gave the Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar match a shot in the arm that I think it needed.

Wrestling content was mixed for me this week. CM Punk vs. Big Show kicked the show off and was good for the 6 minutes or so it lasted. I would've liked to have seen it go for longer before the interruption came. Bryan's antics continue to be entertaining and the idea of him teaming with Show against Cena & Punk later on sounds interesting. There were some filler matches that just slowed the show down, such as Cara vs. Tensai and R-Truth vs. Heath Slater. Ryback vs. JTG was more along the lines of a standard Ryback match, but I'm glad WWE is acknowledging JTG's recent Twitter comments and may be turning it into a storyline, or it might've been a storyline plan all along. At any rate, at least this had something of a purpose. The triple threat match between Jericho, Ziggler & Miz was very well done and featured some great action without giving much away. It started out a little slow, as expected, with Miz & Ziggler working on Jericho before ultimately turning on one another. Ziggler getting the pinfall on Jericho via the Zig Zag at the 15 minute mark was a nice touch and a good way to and strong 3.25 star match. The Divas tag team match between Layla & Kaitlyn and Eve & Beth Phoenix was pretty decent. For the second week in a row on Raw, the Divas were actually given time to have an actual match. There were a few rough spots in the match, I dunno what the hell Layla was doing with the dancing and hitting Eve with her ass, but it was generally a good effort from the Divas. The Divas as a whole still mean nothing right now, but I'd rather see them actually have a match that takes longer to finish than it does to get down to the ring. The tag match between Cena & Punk against Bryan & Show was fun, though I found myself a little turned off at watching Bryan be the punching bag during the match. He generally got in very little offense and ultimately wound up taking the pin at the 13 minute mark. Still, his antics were fun. Cena & Punk's mockery of one another continues to keep the tension up between them. Punk saving Cena from Big Show's attack was a nice touch of keeping people wondering if Punk is ultimately going full blown heel. Damien Sandow's match against Christian was a pleasant surprise. I wish it would've gotten some real time, but what made it so pleasant for me is that Sandow won a big victory against Christian. When Brodus Clay's music hit and he limped out onto the stage, I thought that Sandow would lose to Christian for sure. Having him kick out of the roll up attempt and then land his neckbreaker finisher for the clean win despite Brodus' attempted distraction was a very welcome change for this old formula. Antonio Cesaro owns two wins over the United States Champion, Santino Marella, Christian beat Cesaro last Friday and Sandow beat Christian last night. As I've said in other posts, the mid-card scene of WWE has some strong potential.

As for the promo segments last night, Piper's Pit was something of a train wreck. I love the guy, but Roddy Piper flat out stunk the place up last night. When Roddy is on his game, he can deliver better than damn near everybody but he was most definitely off last night. Fortunately, Jericho, Ziggler & Miz were able to carry the rest of the segment off fairly well. However, Hot Rod killed whatever energy there was going into the segment in the first place. His rambling delivery last night was just not at all up to par.

The contract signing between Lesnar & Triple H was well done and it delivered a good final tease. The main story was Lesnar's attack on HBK. Some are bitching about the camera "cutting out" during his attack on HBK. I found it fun listening to the audio with Heyman screaming for Lesnar to stop. You didn't need to actually see the beating to know that it was being done to garner heat on Lesnar and add a very personal spice to the match, both of which worked very well. Lesnar carried HBK to the ring and delivered an F5 before locking in the Kimura, the move that Lesnar "broke" Trips' arm with months back. Lesnar ultimately "breaking" HBK's arm and then running for the hills without letting Trips get his hands on him was another great tease. It makes you wonder if HBK will still be in Trips' corner, which he probably will be, and how he'll ultimately get involved.

Last night's show didn't have as much focus in showing off newer talent as last week's, but it was the go home Raw for SummerSlam. To make up, Raw did a very good job for a final hype for the upcomming ppv. Several matches were added to the card as a whole, such as Santino taking on Antonio Cesaro in the free preview for the US title prior to the actual SummerSlam ppv itself, the PTPs get their tag title shot against Kofi & Truth at the event and Miz will defend the IC title against Rey Mysterio. Ziggler vs. Jericho got a nice final push and the WWE Championship & Trips vs. Lesnar matches were given lots of time. If WWE can consistently find ways to cut back on filler in the three hour shows, such as what we had in a good deal of the first hour last night, then the three hour thing can work.

I give last night's show a B.

Good go home show into Summerslam, not too impressed by the final forty-five minutes but it makes Summerslam a helluva' lot more interesting. Have a feeling Hunter will take it, cause he needs to win to avenge his fallen best friend.

I thought it was shit. Tag matches involving people lined up for a triple threat match just 6 days away should not happen. Ever. Once the match was announced, the three should not have been able to touch one another in the ring. I mean, what's sacred about this match? They took the biggest possible matchup (Cena/Punk), gave it away on free tv for Raw 1000 (which i totally support...but there should have been a rematch at Summerslam), and then fucked it up by inserting a complete NON-icon. Cena is iconic, and Punk is flirting with that level. Either gaining a pinfall over the Big Show does nothing to advance that for them. Totally horrible on so many levels.

And I couldn't be less enthused about Summerslam. Like...I just really feel that WWE dropped the ball here. I am so, so tired of the triple threat match...particularly in the present state of WWE. I mean...you have a BIG MONEY MATCH in CM Punk v. John Cena. Hey...your two biggest full-time guys who have been separated for the last year...why not have them go one on one at the big show most opposite of Wrestlemania? Makes no sense to me. I mean, that could have been built to being a really fantastic as hell match. Instead...you throw Big Show in there to be the fall guy. I mean...what other purpose does Big Show serve here? I can't even see a casual fan seeing Big Show as anything other than "the one who doesn't belong" in this situation.

Just...piss poor here. I had so many hopes after Raw 1000, and then the last several weeks have just been total fodder. Somehow, WWE has influenced me to have ZERO interest in Trips/Lesnar going into the show. This angle has been building since April...and somehow they've managed to really lay an egg in terms of build.

The social media thing is getting ridiculous. I used to tweet during Raw because I WANTED to be interactive with the show. Now it's like...we're being force-fed social media at every turn. How distracting is that? I turned on my TV to watch TV...not to tweet per obligation.

And then there's this:

[youtube]jCyWaJqeoc0[/youtube]

Raw is a 3 hour TV show. Anyone with a brain is going to raise questions when there just happens to be an open slot in the programming for the night for the General Manager to insert someone (JTG of all people) into an impromptu match. It just insults intelligence. Is Linda trying to cater to the uneducated voter?

Rant over. This 3 hour thing needs to get better for me not to be totally pissed the whole time.

Rant Reloaded:

And what the hell is wrong with letting the show get attention on social media per its own merit? I mean...aren't people going to be tweeting about some awesome shit that happens regardless of whether or not Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler prompt them to do so?

It's like that damn "Did you know that Raw got better ratings than ESPN, NBC, ABC, blah blah blah combined last week?" DOES ANYONE GIVE A SHIT? Is knowing that Raw last week got better ratings than a bunch of other networks going to make me more likely to tune-in to a show that I'm already watching? It just reeks of stupidity. "Hey look at us! We're relevant...and here's why." That's what it is...week after week. Guess what: you'll be relevant and everyone will know that you are relevant...and you'll probably even increase your relevancy...if you make a damn good TV show.

It would be pretty cool if Burn Notice and/or fucking...The Office...had interactive Twitter segments of their shows. :banghead::disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back