[Official] Hulk Hogan Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this can silence anybody who sees TNA being destroyed by this deal.

Several top TNA officials, including Dixie Carter and creative head Vince Russo had a meeting with SpikeTV officials in New York City to work on strategies going forward. It was something that had been planned well in advance of yesterday's announcement that Hulk Hogan was coming into the company as the two sides meet several times a year to go over different aspects of the synergy between TNA and Spike. For those interested, Jeff Jarrett was not present. Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff were not there, nor were they scheduled to be as Hogan is in the middle of his media tour.

Numerous sources have noted that Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff are not taking over the creative reigns of the company, despite what has been claimed elsewhere. I am sure Hogan will have creative control over how he is used, but Vince Russo, Ed Ferrara, etc. are not being replaced.

Obviously, Hogan is going to have some influence. I am told he has suggestions of talents he'd like to see brought into the company but there are no wrestlers or personalities 100% set yet and no one that TNA is required to use as part of the Hogan-Bischoff deal.

In regard to rumors of TNA being moved to Mondays, there is nothing to that at this time, according to SpikeTV sources. TNA's production schedule is set through April of 2010 while house show tours are already booked through May. Spike wants to continue to build Impact as their destination show for Thursdays, one of the reasons the Saturday replay was eliminated a few weeks back.

PWInsider.com and Mike Johnson

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that TNA would hand over complete control to Hogan. This is a man who is known to put himself over anyone and is notorious for doing anything for a buck...and probably needs some money right now with his divorce and kids habits/legal troubles. It would be very very strange for them to simply give him entire control of creative. I'll believe that he and Bischoff have input into creative and that he has control of his character, but I simply cannot buy that he is essentially running the company.

I'm definitely not reading the 201 posts I missed...I'll just state my opinion, and move on.

It's a well-known saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.". TNA has been doing very well lately, and there's no need for any more people in the front office. I'm positive that Hogan is not going to be an in-ring wrestler, but will probably take over the role that Foley was meant for. Bischoff really knows his stuff, so I'm not really upset about him either.

Basically, if they're both used properly, and given the right jobs, this could be a big plus. If not, this could be a major blow to the company...

This should give TNA a big ratings boost when Hogan appears on TV. I'm not a big Hogan fan, so I don't care on a personal level. But Hogan is huge in the wrestling business, and alot of die-hard WWE fans are die-hard Hogan fans. Which comes first, WWE or Hogan? I think quite a few will opt for both and begin watching TNA.

Of course, Hogan cannot make a show, no one can, and in order for TNA to keep the fanbase they need to make sure everything else is of a high a quality as it can be. And that means Hogan should NOT cleanly pin any of their top talent for the championship.

Personally I'm hoping for a non-wrestling role but I'm sure that won't happen. Hogan is in no shape t be in the ring putting on great matches, coming from his own complaints about his body and his reality show. It's his legacy that's important here, not him being great anymore.

If TNA is smart, they will look at other aspects of what made WCW successful in its prime, besides Hogan and the nWo...the cruiserweight division, the mid card, up and coming performers like Booker T, Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit, etc., and compelling storylines. TNA has all of these things, reincarnated in its image, in some form or another.

During the height of Monday Nitro, it was accepted notion that the viewer tuned in to see the marquee value of Hogan and friends, and was kept interested by all of the above aspects of the program. Sure, later on, Nitro was over-saturated with nWo segments. But all TNA needs to do is highlight Hogan and continue to do what they have already been doing over the last few months: present a badass wrestling program.

I'm pretty sure someone at TNA has enough brains to know how to avoid repeating the past: Russo, Bischoff, etc. So I think TNA will do well as long as they learn from the past....but of course, in the wrestling business, mistakes often repeat themselves.

With Hogan, TNA gets the legend of legends for a short while and creates modest mainstream interest, which they need.

But what else comes with it?

Hogan is not gonna take pennies on the dollar w/ TNA without seizing some control over his character, including dropping a leg on any up and comer currently being pushed halting all momentum TNA has been gaining in the past month or so.

Instead of the AJ/Joe/Fallen Angel title match being the talk of TNA, the Hogan vortex consumed everyone in the company. An underdeveloped but intriguing main event is now merely a unwilling footnote in the next chapter of Hulkamania.

Soon the 40+ yr old wrestler flood gates will be opened to catastrophic levels as the X-Division, the heart and soul of TNA, will be slowly phased out of existence.

Opinion not withstanding, at his advanced age, Hogan is always entertaining and never disappoints. As awesome as i think Hogan is (old school hulkamaniac here), he is no longer a savior to wayward promotions but a quick boost in ratings and merchandise sales.

But if TNA is looking to take down the beast, to quote the late Roy Scheider from Jaws, they're "going to need a bigger boat".

a few of post a head of me have stated things in such a great way i almost don't feel like posting anything. kudos to you guys.

in regards to the "it's wcw" and "tna is gonna fail" stuff it's really getting out of hand. seriously ( and i'm not trying to troll or bait or what ever) why don't you guys give it a chance to work what it has to work. TNA is making an effort to be it's own entity and it's still not good enough for anyone. everyone complains tna sucks, wwe is stale, john cena needs to stop fighting *insert name here*, triple h is blah blah. what is going to make everyone happy? one wrestling company run by the fans? that is never going to happen. in business your going to have aspects of stuff your not going to like. it's life. tna is offering an alternative to wwe what in my opinion i kinda want but hey that's just me. no one has to watch it if they don't want to. but at least let it spread it's wings before we all take any shots at it!

Here is all the latest news on Hogan, Bischoff, Russo that I've read today.

Will Hogan’s signing effect the future of Vince Russo in TNA? Early indications suggest that Russo is in no danger of losing his job and acted unsurprised of the signing.
When asked about Vince Russo (the current head of TNA creative), Hogan said as long as Russo knew his place in the company then everything would be fine.

Bischoff’s role in TNA Wrestling will be mainly behind the scenes, working deals with TNA, SpikeTV and many others. Bischoff will also be participating in the creative department, helping bring a new feel to TNA and a new direction in terms of storylines.

Despite what's being said elsewhere, several TNA sources are saying that Bischoff and Hogan are not taking over creatively. Hogan will likely have creative control over his character but word is that Russo and company are not being replaced. Hogan has suggestions of talents he would like to see brought into TNA but there are currently no wrestlers or other personalities 100% set to come in.

The belief right now is that Hogan will be a regular personality on TNA iMPACT! but will only wrestle sparingly. He may end up in the role of some type of authority figure.

So it sounds like Hogan is only in control of his character, not anyone else.
It sounds like Hogan is going to be on the show mainly outside of the ring, but may wrestle sparingly.
It sounds like Vince Russo's job is secure and Hogan/Bischoff will not affect Russo's job.
It sounds like Bischoff is mainly going to work on production/expanding the product on tv, but will also have some input on the creative direction.

I'm really sick of hearing this. Do you realize that Hulk Hogan, Bischoff and Flair was the main reason how WCW became a bigger company?

Two of those people were also partially responsible for killing what was once the biggest wrestling Promotion in North America.

This is not WCW. This is a different year, different time and run by different people. Dixie Carter knows what the fuck she is doing and if things don't go so well, she will obviously release these guys.

Have you actually watched Impact? The booking has been hit and miss at best pretty much since the inception of TNA, they have the talent and the Main Stream Television exposure to actually compete with the WWE yet they have not been... Dixie and the other people in TNA have not proven they know "what the fuck they are doing". It might not be WCW, but alot of the same players are there now, Hogan, Bischoff, Sting, Flair, and Nash.. it's understandable for people to be divided sure these are people that helped in the past build like I said the biggest Wrestling Company in North America, but they are also the same people that helped kill said company... and none of them are drawing the way they did in WCW.

Why would you rather see a company try to gain attention but can't put together the star power necessary, now that they get the star power they need people talk shit about it. Make up your damn mind and quit the hypocrisy.

How is it hypocrisy to be sceptical about this deal? Hogan is well known for not being one to do the job when he should if he is in complete control how many people can you see him putting over which in all fairness is what he should be there to do, put talent over, put the company over. If it was someone with the drawing ability of Hogan that didn't have the reputation Hogan has for not jobbing I think everyone would be massively excited about this... but personally I can see this ending in tears, TNA put the belt on Foley for fucks sake and as much as I love him that was a crazy move I would put a good amount of money on Hogan having that belt within a month of being in the company.

So I couldn't have been the only one who got chills when watching the Hogan press conference, was I? Just seeing Sleazy E on my television screen is usually enough to make me a happy little mark, but the way TNA edited the press conference was done to perfection. Hogan gave a great little speech, the parts of it they kept atleast. I loved the fact that they included his comment referencing the last time he jumped to a company (WCW in the 90s) to make the promotion the "number one company in the world". I think it's pretty god damn clear that TNA wants to declare war on the WWE here, and that promo conveyed that message damn clear. Press conference, promo, you know what I mean.

I really feel like I'm watching something significant happening right now. After tonight I think it's pretty damn obvious that VKM realizes he may have someone who really wants to kick his ass now.

I really feel like I'm watching something significant happening right now.

This.

I was really worried about the direction they would be taking TNA, but it seems like they're both pretty heartfelt in wanting to kick Vince's ass. Someone had asked about getting in the ring, and Hogan deflected it, which means he either won't be a wrestler at all, or he'll work an on-screen role.

Bischoff could make no appearances on TV, and still make a major impact. People know he has the smarts to run shows, and there's really no reason to force him into any segments...

Hogan is definitely going to get into the ring at some point, but he's not going to be wrestling on any kind of regular basis. He's mainly going to be an on screen character, similar to Foley. Atleast that's what Meltzer is reporting. He's definitely going to wrestle on a semi-regular basis though, probably something like Sting's schedule, actually probably lighter than that I'd think even.

Honestly I hope we see Bischoff on screen as well as behind the scenes. He's just a great character, always has been. One of the most genuinely entertaining guys I've ever seen in the business.

Hogan is definitely going to get into the ring at some point, but he's not going to be wrestling on any kind of regular basis. He's mainly going to be an on screen character, similar to Foley. Atleast that's what Meltzer is reporting. He's definitely going to wrestle on a semi-regular basis though, probably something like Sting's schedule, actually probably lighter than that I'd think even.

I could learn to be OK with that. It would take some time though. If he just steps in the ring, and starts running through guys that are being pushed, I'd be thoroughly pissed. Working a few matches to further a push, or start an angle would be fine.

Honestly I hope we see Bischoff on screen as well as behind the scenes. He's just a great character, always has been. One of the most genuinely entertaining guys I've ever seen in the business.

Agreed. But, he doesn't have to be a weekly character. He can be used on a show they feel might be weak, simply to mkae people remember the show, but there's no need for him to be in 5 segments per episode.

After tonight's press conference -- taped in MSG, where Vince has had a stranglehold for years -- Vince is painfully aware of the competition. While he has obviously previously acknowledged TNA, now he knows they mean business. Unquestionably the addition of Hogan and Bischoff amps things up several notches. I know many are bitching and moaning about what the pair will "do to" TNA, but I'm personally excited to see where everyone involved takes this.

For all the complaints, the is clearly good for wrestling. People are suddenly way more interested than they were on Monday.

Hulk Hogan has got people talking about TNA. Surely that will help TNAs ratings. Hulk Hogan rules and amazing to see him back in full time wrestling soon. Hulk Hogan is a legend.

Hulk Hogan is a 56 year old man that is no longer able to do his finisher the leg drop. He will get in the ring thats a fact as he cant resist it but I cant see him wrestling full time. I feel he may be introduced as the new tna "authority figure". Eventually he'll be goaded into the ring by someone (Jarrett perhaps if he ever comes back?) but I would expect him to fill Jim Cornettes old role for a while. He will definatley help raitings for a while but the question I have to ask is will tna fans embrace him or will it be like wcw where fans actually didnt take to him and wcw had to pretend they had? Time will tell.

wow!!! this is awesome!!! I have never actually seen a HOGAN match, but I always wanted to. so, if it is him a bischoff, is TNA really gonna get rid of sting????? we nearly lost AJ, but sting said he MAY quit! T.T Maybe hogan is replacing sting?

You have GOT to be FUCKING kidding me. Wait a sec, let me pick up the peices of my head off the ground, since it just exploded.....

Ok, good to go. HOLY SHIT MAN. Well. fuck. Damn you TNA, you have officially just picked up a new veiwer. curse this day, curse it.

Hulk Hogan - not much needs to be said besides "dude, its Hulk FUCKING Hogan". I also read he is doing the booking, fucking sweet. Knows the buisness and what makes money within it, inside and out. Awesome. Whatever capacity he ends up being in, itll will do nothing but help TNA ten fold. WCW at its lowest point with Hogan as a major figure is still shit tons better off than TNA currently is. Its great from all aspects, from drawing, in ring, and general direction of the company.

Bischoff - Awesome. One of the better, most creative minds out there. You know the old saying goes....the only thing harder than beating a great team once, is beating a great team twice. Hopefully Bisch and Hulk learned from mistakes made, and really take it to WWE. Not that I want to see WWE go down in flames, more I just want to see improved product.

On a personal note....please. please please PLEASE still be there, and running strong when I come back home in January. Fuck man, if I got a chance to see the Hulkster live...

DDP clears up Hogan in creative control and rumors of him returning to TNA:

DDP just answered some questions about TNA on a radio show on FOW radio:

- He isn't going to TNA right now but he will not rule it out as he plans on working the Indy scene to test how strong his body is after his YRG training and to get the rust off.

- He said that he was willing to work an angle for them as long as they lay it out, and at the end of the day he would do it for Eric

- He also pointed out that Eric and Hulk do not work for TNA, they have invested in TNA and want to make it bigger, and he feels that they will do just that and help the guys make money and get their name out.

- He said that the competition between a Eric/Hulk TNA and WWE would be good for all wrestling as a whole and would probably help a 3rd company emerge

There you have it. Hogan and Bischoff will be a big part of the company but they will bring in star power and give them creditability. So can we finally end this TNA becoming WCW Bullshit?

Funny how Hogan and Bischoff slammed TNA earlier in the year. I think they are their to reap the company for everything it is worth seeing as their is another mainstream company out there which they can take advantage of with Jarrett gone besides the WWE.

Hogan is not in TNA to job to all the young wrestlers and make the industry better like he claims he wants to he's out for himself and to prove a point to Vince Mcmahon that he can draw.

I'm excited to see if WWE TV gets inproved over the next few weeks. You would think Vince will want to pull out all the stops and have the upper hand similar to Monday night wars but I am excited about this.

Excited to see what happens in TNA, maybe Hogan is that little edge they need. But he's been there before, so what is different this time around? I'm excited to see if the quality of WWE TV improves and I think it will.

Vince, sign Bret. :)

Funny how Hogan and Bischoff slammed TNA earlier in the year. I think they are their to reap the company for everything it is worth seeing as their is another mainstream company out there which they can take advantage of with Jarrett gone besides the WWE.

Hogan is not in TNA to job to all the young wrestlers and make the industry better like he claims he wants to he's out for himself and to prove a point to Vince Mcmahon that he can draw.

I love Hogan. I loved Hogan in WCW, WWE, and will now love him in TNA. It will be very sad to see an icon like Hogan leave the business he built, esp growing up watching him. It's one of those things that the industry will struggle to let go. PERIOD, so I'm glad he's still around in the present day business, from a fan standpoint.

With that said, reading the book "The Death of WCW" and going through the times of WCW closing through the good and bad years.. I can't help but have a fear and agree with you to a certain standpoint. Hopefully, Bischoff and Hogan aren't the loons they once where and have learned from their past mistakes. Yes, Hogan can still draw, but the same things are starting to arise now, that are showed in the book. One of them is having full control of his character and having control over the booking. This leads a caution of Hogan not putting talent over.. just like he never did in WCW. Hopefully him having the biggest ego of all of sports is behind him. He's realized that TNA needs a leader and a fresh turnaround, not more of the same that killed WCW, and that was EGO.

We all know Ego is apart of the business, but Hogan's is one of the most self promoter's of the world and I fear he will do whatever it takes to have a selfish attitude in TNA, just like WCW. Mix that in with Bischoff's insane stubbornness and laughable approaches and greed, and there you have the Death of WCW, something that frightens me with these two, but at the same time, both of these guys together can get the job done, in a short period of time. TNA will benefit.

I am hoping.. HARD.. that that the greed is behind them and that they clearly know what it takes to turn TNA around to compete with Vince. Exciting? Yes. Doubt? Yes. I can't wait to see what they got up their sleeves, because if this is the turnaround that Hogan seems excited about, let's hope he's in the right mindset, because this could work.

Did it ever occur to you guys that Hogan having COMPLETE CONTROL over TNA is just a kayfabe outside of the show to draw more and more people toward the product? I mean, this is Hulk Hogan AND Eric Bischoff here... "Controversy creates cash" Eric Bischoff. I'm very skeptical at the amount of control Hogan actually has. He may have power over HIS own destiny in the company, but everything? I'm just very skeptical about that. Bischoff I could definitely see getting some power in creative but not complete control. This hype we are feeding into is exactly what the response they are looking for. They want people to believe the product again. Why not give public kayfabe control over a show that is about kayfabe wrestling. Its a genius move on their part though to draw people in and shake up the business.

Did it ever occur to you guys that Hogan having COMPLETE CONTROL over TNA is just a kayfabe outside of the show to draw more and more people toward the product? I mean, this is Hulk Hogan AND Eric Bischoff here... "Controversy creates cash" Eric Bischoff. I'm very skeptical at the amount of control Hogan actually has. He may have power over HIS own destiny in the company, but everything? I'm just very skeptical about that. Bischoff I could definitely see getting some power in creative but not complete control. This hype we are feeding into is exactly what the response they are looking for. They want people to believe the product again. Why not give public kayfabe control over a show that is about kayfabe wrestling. Its a genius move on their part though to draw people in and shake up the business.

Very good point, this might be another version of when Scott Hall showed up on Nitro and made it look like the WWE was invading WCW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back