[Official] All things Comic Book Related Thread!

Deexter Jorgan

Has a Dark Passenger on board...
This Thread will be used to talk about various Books, Story and all time Favorite Comic related stuff.

To start things off I'm going to talk about a story that has been going on this year and is one of the most talked about stories in the Marvel Universe.

World War Hulks

12859header_banner6712067.jpg

The Leader has lead a team of supervillans to kidnap the worlds smartest people, the plan that leads the Red Hulk and Bruce Banner to cross paths once again but this time not as foes, but as team mates.

The Rulk and Banner become the unluckiest of allies attempting to unite a world that by decision of the leader will be destroyed by the collective of super smart baddies.

Can Banner and Rulk attempt to save the united states, or will the world crumble at the hands of the Leader?.

what i would like to see here is

- Has anyone read the book?

- What do you think?

- Discuss the current storylines?

Im currently on the June Part of this storylines collecting Hulk 23 and Incredible Hulk 601.

written by Greg Pak and Joseph Leob this is a must read for all fans of Marvel and the comic book genre in general.

It comes after the sudden appearence of Betty, Banners Ex -wife who aparently died being overcome by cancer.

The red Hulk reviels himself to the readers but i wont reveal who this gigantic creature is.

This story IMO is one of the most impotant ones in the Marvel Universe peaking my interest in the Hulk and the cast of characters in this comic book.

with thanks to Wikipedia.org

Biographies
  • Hulk vol. 2 #22-24
  • Incredible Hulk vol. 4 #609-611
  • World War Hulks #1
  • World War Hulks Hulked Out Heroes #1-2
  • World War Hulks Spider-Man vs Thor #1-2[3]
  • World War Hulks Wolverine vs Captain America #1-2[2]
  • Fall of the Hulks Red Hulk #4
  • Fall of the Hulks Savage She-Hulks #2-3

any opinions?

I haven't read many comics lately, but I have to say my favorite comic artist is Gabriele Dell'Otto. His work on Secret War is just incredible.

I am currently on Wiki checking out a background for this book. It seems very intriguing. The plot seems good, but I sadly have not read it but from the plot i'm reading it seems like it's probably worth my time whenever I get around to reading it.

SpoodBeest™;2165221 said:
I am currently on Wiki checking out a background for this book. It seems very intriguing. The plot seems good, but I sadly have not read it but from the plot i'm reading it seems like it's probably worth my time whenever I get around to reading it.

World War Hulks was a continuation of Fall of the Hulks, which is also the continuation of World War Hulk, it spans over a year after the Red Hulk was Introduced.

Its a great read and a particularly marvelous comic book.

If a movie was made on this comic i would be the happiest man alive:)

I would have to Wiki this and get some info on it, has it concluded doc? or is it ongoing?

It's old. Loved it though, and like I said it made Gabriele Dell'otto my favorite comics artist.

It's old. Loved it though, and like I said it made Gabriele Dell'otto my favorite comics artist.

I'm going to read up on this comic book, see what else i can gather, may even post a review on this.

Anybody got any opinions and comics they would like to reccomend?

if anybody hasnt read it who is into comics i would highly suggest the dark knight returns by frank miller. of the thousands of comics i have possesion of i always seem to go back to it more than any of the others. the sequel is also a great read.

Not thrilled with it so far. The pay off for who the Red Hulk is better be damn good. Red She-Hulk's ID was disappointing, to say the least.
*Reads Hulk 23 'n 610*
Wait. I just finished reading it... really? That's who it is? What a lame red herring earlier in the story. The sad part is I knew it was him and just prayed they went with someone else instead of that guy. This is Norman Osbourn all over again... Anyway, I hate that this whole story-line has largely been existing outside of the rest of the Marvel Universe's over all sequence of Civil War>Secret Invasion>Dark Reign>Seige>Heroic Age. I guess this should be wrapping up soon enough and we can all go back to not caring about Bruce Banner and the Hulk again. At least till the Avengers movie comes out. BTW, Skaar and his twin are terrible ideas.

Not thrilled with it so far. The pay off for who the Red Hulk is better be damn good. Red She-Hulk's ID was disappointing, to say the least.
*Reads Hulk 23 'n 610*
Wait. I just finished reading it... really? That's who it is? What a lame red herring earlier in the story. The sad part is I knew it was him and just prayed they went with someone else instead of that guy. This is Norman Osbourn all over again... Anyway, I hate that this whole story-line has largely been existing outside of the rest of the Marvel Universe's over all sequence of Civil War>Secret Invasion>Dark Reign>Seige>Heroic Age. I guess this should be wrapping up soon enough and we can all go back to not caring about Bruce Banner and the Hulk again. At least till the Avengers movie comes out. BTW, Skaar and his twin are terrible ideas.

The so called sons of the Hulk aren't that bad, It expands Bruce Banners whole Hulk universe which at a time only consisted of Banner and the Hulk.

The whole concept of the son's of the Hulk allows both banner and the creature known as the Hulk to live independant lives, they both have those they loved and those they hate.

And im all for the Red Hulk, he is the most destructive force in the marvel universe, sort of a twisted version of banners creation.

The shocking ending at the end of 610 was amazing seeing the death of a long time friend/adversary to the Hulk, I really didn't see it coming.

The so called sons of the Hulk aren't that bad,
Best you can say are they aren't "that bad"? That's a sure sign of quality.
It expands Bruce Banners whole Hulk universe which at a time only consisted of Banner and the Hulk.
The Hulk Universe has Samson, Jenn Walters, Rick Jones, Betty, Thunderbolt Ross, all his enemies., etc. He's hardly all by himself, and even if here where that what the Hulk always wanted. To be left alone.
The whole concept of the son's of the Hulk allows both banner and the creature known as the Hulk to live independant lives, they both have those they loved and those they hate.
The point of The Hulk as a character is to show the conflicts of one man as he deals with his inner rage, and the world at large, trying to separate or individualize Banner from the Hulk defeats the whole purpose of the character
And im all for the Red Hulk, he is the most destructive force in the marvel universe, sort of a twisted version of banners creation.
I'm not necessarily saying the character is terrible only that after months of questions to find out his identity was a complete and utter disappointment. Not only was the reveal lame, but the way around it was weak as well. LMDs are much too easy a way out for Marvel storytelling that the whole concept sours incredibly fast. Also the stronger twisted version of the hero as the villain is quite hackneyed. Hulk already had one in the form of The Abomination he didn't need another.
The shocking ending at the end of 610 was amazing seeing the death of a long time friend/adversary to the Hulk, I really didn't see it coming.
I didn't see the specifics of it coming but there is nothing truly shocking in a "sacrificing the yourself for the greater good" moment. Especially in comics where probably in less than 5 years the character will be brought back good as new

Best you can say are they aren't "that bad"? That's a sure sign of quality.The Hulk Universe has Samson, Jenn Walters, Rick Jones, Betty, Thunderbolt Ross, all his enemies., etc. He's hardly all by himself, and even if here where that what the Hulk always wanted. To be left alone.

Agreed, but it also makes the Hulk more Human, it gives the Hulk another purpose being a father, even though he shuns that approach.

It makes the monsters world crowded and he doesnt want that, he wants as you say to be left alone and scar wants to kill the Hulk (you see where this is going), it also brings purpose to someone that can truly do the job look at the destruction scar has left leading to this final battle.

The point of The Hulk as a character is to show the conflicts of one man as he deals with his inner rage, and the world at large, trying to separate or individualize Banner from the Hulk defeats the whole purpose of the character

Why does it leave the purpose of the character defeated?, It gives the monster another angle, another edge compared to what we are all used to.

I'm not necessarily saying the character is terrible only that after months of questions to find out his identity was a complete and utter disappointment. Not only was the reveal lame, but the way around it was weak as well. LMDs are much too easy a way out for Marvel storytelling that the whole concept sours incredibly fast.
Also the stronger twisted version of the hero as the villain is quite hackneyed. Hulk already had one in the form of The Abomination he didn't need another.[/quote]Why?, it gives a character that is mostly anti hero, someone who truly uses the hulks abilities but has the mindset to control them.
Rulk was never a villan, in wrestling terms he was more of a tweener, someone who has a grudge against hulk but is also someone you can cheer for.

I didn't see the specifics of it coming but there is nothing truly shocking in a "sacrificing the yourself for the greater good" moment. Especially in comics where probably in less than 5 years the character will be brought back good as new
Yep but its still a major character, someone who has been with the hulk since day 1, and has been a thorn in Banners side, he has been manipulating from the background in order to accomplish his own selfish goals.

The only question is will the Marvel universe allow the character to stay dead or come back once again like the comic world always does.

Agreed, but it also makes the Hulk more Human, it gives the Hulk another purpose being a father, even though he shuns that approach.
And that's my point: The Hulk shouldn't be made to be "more human".
It makes the monsters world crowded and he doesnt want that, he wants as you say to be left alone and scar wants to kill the Hulk (you see where this is going), it also brings purpose to someone that can truly do the job look at the destruction scar has left leading to this final battle.
Character creation for the sake of being used as a tool, or a means to an end is bad development in my opinion.
Why does it leave the purpose of the character defeated?, It gives the monster another angle, another edge compared to what we are all used to.
If more and more they become two separate entities then the internal duality and contradiction of the singular host is lost. And lost with it is the purpose and intent of the character. Giving characters "another angle" and/or "another edge" removes them from who they are. Ex: A triangle has 3 sides. Now give that triangle "another edge". Congratulations you have a square (or general quadrilateral shape). Now there's nothing wrong with the square per se. But now it's no longer a triangle and if it's no longer a triangle then in effect the triangle as it was created and intended long ago ceases to be. And all for the sake of a new edge because perhaps people are "used to it". A character can certainly grow and adjust as things come along but to remove or distort the very essence of the character is foolish.
Why?, it gives a character that is mostly anti hero, someone who truly uses the hulks abilities but has the mindset to control them.
There have been plenty of characters that have had Hulk like abilities and where cognizant enough to use them. There have even been times where the Hulk as a character has retained Banner's intellect. And there is even an alternate future version of this character called The Maestro, who current time-line Hulk has had to face. As I said hackneyed.
Rulk was never a villan, in wrestling terms he was more of a tweener, someone who has a grudge against hulk but is also someone you can cheer for.
Um, yea one of the first things he did was murder people, in my book that's damn close enough to a villain. Plus there's nothing he's done that I could "cheer for". Heck, by the end of issue 23 he's just about usurped the US government. The character in both forms is a power-hungry, fearful, and hypocritical bully who believes above all else that might makes right.
Yep but its still a major character, someone who has been with the hulk since day 1, and has been a thorn in Banners side, he has been manipulating from the background in order to accomplish his own selfish goals.
Rick Jones has been there since day one. The other guy not so much. He showed up roughly a decade later.
The only question is will the Marvel universe allow the character to stay dead or come back once again like the comic world always does.
There used to be an old expression "No one in comics stays dead except for Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben". Years later they couldn't even stick to that, returning Todd and Barnes to modern continuity. He'll be back... much to my dismay they always come back.

And that's my point: The Hulk shouldn't be made to be "more human".

There is no other way to go with the character, just to have the hulk fighting more hulk like creatures wouldn't be fruitful.

In order to allow the character to further itself they would have
to either creature more ends to it so that people can adapt more, alas making the hulk more human.

If they allow the character to endlessly walk around and want to be left alone then their would be nothing left for the title itself.

Character creation for the sake of being used as a tool, or a means to an end is bad development in my opinion.

Elaborate please.

If more and more they become two separate entities then the internal duality and contradiction of the singular host is lost. And lost with it is the purpose and intent of the character. Giving characters "another angle" and/or "another edge" removes them from who they are. Ex: A triangle has 3 sides. Now give that triangle "another edge". Congratulations you have a square (or general quadrilateral shape). Now there's nothing wrong with the square per se. But now it's no longer a triangle and if it's no longer a triangle then in effect the triangle as it was created and intended long ago ceases to be. And all for the sake of a new edge because perhaps people are "used to it". A character can certainly grow and adjust as things come along b/quote]

If where talking semiotics character is defined by its semiotics, the space, the name gives it it's identity, the thing that gives Hulk his identity is the story, without that the Hulk would be nothing.

There have been plenty of characters that have had Hulk like abilities and where cognizant enough to use them. There have even been times where the Hulk as a character has retained Banner's intellect. And there is even an alternate future version of this character called The Maestro, who current time-line Hulk has had to face. As I said hackneyed.

I still believe they needed this, The Hulk needed an unstoppable enemy, someone to take the character to the Next level and Rulk has done that.

The character has braught a whole never level to the book and has attracted countless new readers, if the arguement doesnt help the numbers should would.

Um, yea one of the first things he did was murder people, in my book that's damn close enough to a villain. Plus there's nothing he's done that I could "cheer for". Heck, by the end of issue 23 he's just about usurped the US government. The character in both forms is a power-hungry, fearful, and hypocritical bully who believes above all else that might makes right.
Rick Jones has been there since day one. The other guy not so much. He showed up roughly a decade later.
There used to be an old expression "No one in comics stays dead except for Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben". Years later they couldn't even stick to that, returning Todd and Barnes to modern continuity. He'll be back... much to my dismay they always come back.

Rick Has been there from day one yes, but he was also killed countless times before being braught back time and time again.

The issue with this character was that he was once banners confidant and become as obsessed as General Ross over the Hulk.

And yes the latter of those names where braught back but again it was to give the titles more substance, Bucky became the new captain america, Todd became the Red Hood and nearly destroyed the lives of those that fort for him.

Ok so its a new day, new week which means new comics......

The Comic I am currently reading is

Brightest Day

14923_400x600.jpg

The Brightest day starts off from the end of DC Universe's most epic battle the blackest Night. With most of the deceased heroes braught back to life by an unknown force what will there purpose be?, and who is behind it.

same rules apply

- Has anyone read the book?

- What do you think?

- Discuss the current storylines?

Im currently reading Issue 2,3 and 4 working my way through this, will this lead to a new corpse?, who knows.

There is no other way to go with the character, just to have the hulk fighting more hulk like creatures wouldn't be fruitful.
Wouldn't be fruitful? Yet you later say that fighting Rulk (a "hulk-like" creature if there ever was one) was a needed event as "...The Hulk needed an unstoppable enemy, someone to take the character to the Next level..."
If they allow the character to endlessly walk around and want to be left alone then their would be nothing left for the title itself.
Not true. The formula has worked for decades. Good story telling within a format is better than changing the format for the sake of change. Good comic-book writers incorporate progression into a core of a character without changing what the character is.
If where talking semiotics character is defined by its semiotics, the space, the name gives it it's identity, the thing that gives Hulk his identity is the story, without that the Hulk would be nothing.
I'm not talking semiotics. I'm saying that once you change the essence, purpose, and onus of The Hulk that version of The Hulk ceases to be and we are no longer telling his story but someone else's. Some are accepting of that; I am not. It's why I dislike Nolan's Batman. Take note that I am not saying it should never be done. I think it's a worthwhile concept if not a necessity in some mediums, but that in this particular case, I personally find it needless.
I still believe they needed this, The Hulk needed an unstoppable enemy, someone to take the character to the Next level and Rulk has done that.
I disagree that it is a need. More like a 'want' in my opinion.
The character has braught a whole never level to the book and has attracted countless new readers, if the arguement doesnt help the numbers should would.
In my experience mass appeal and quality tend to be mutually exclusive, though it's not impossible to have some intersection, so you can forgive me if I believe attrition will eventually even out any noticeable boom.
Rick Has been there from day one yes, but he was also killed countless times before being braught back time and time again.

The issue with this character was that he was once banners confidant and become as obsessed as General Ross over the Hulk.

And yes the latter of those names where braught back but again it was to give the titles more substance, Bucky became the new captain america, Todd became the Red Hood and nearly destroyed the lives of those that fort for him.
Said substance, valid as it might be, can certainly be attained without egregious backpedaling to the point of literal resurrection.

Wouldn't be fruitful? Yet you later say that fighting Rulk (a "hulk-like" creature if there ever was one) was a needed event as "...The Hulk needed an unstoppable enemy, someone to take the character to the Next level..."

Rulk is not a Hulk like character, he is actually a more powerful version of the Hulk.

He is basically unstoppable and even destroyed the Hulk.

Not true. The formula has worked for decades. Good story telling within a format is better than changing the format for the sake of change. Good comic-book writers incorporate progression into a core of a character without changing what the character is.

So the Hulk walking around wondering endlessly works?, do you even remember when the series was cancelled twice!

I'm not talking semiotics. I'm saying that once you change the essence, purpose, and onus of The Hulk that version of The Hulk ceases to be and we are no longer telling his story but someone else's. Some are accepting of that; I am not. It's why I dislike Nolan's Batman. Take note that I am not saying it should never be done. I think it's a worthwhile concept if not a necessity in some mediums, but that in this particular case, I personally find it needless.
I disagree that it is a need.

Nolans Batman ruled, and adding character development works, a story needs to be told and layers towards a character needs to be made.

More like a 'want' in my opinion.
In my experience mass appeal and quality tend to be mutually exclusive, though it's not impossible to have some intersection, so you can forgive me if I believe attrition will eventually even out any noticeable boom.
Said substance, valid as it might be, can certainly be attained without egregious backpedaling to the point of literal resurrection.

Again I disagree, substance comes with characters like the Rulk, this has been going on from day one and it has caltivated from the first issue of the hulk, if you want substance then you have it.

Rulk is not a Hulk like character, he is actually a more powerful version of the Hulk.
He is basically unstoppable and even destroyed the Hulk.
For the love of God, he's named "Red Hulk", and looks like the hulk but with a pallet swipe. And you yourself say hes a "VERSION OF THE HULK". He's a "hulk like" character, sorry.
Yea, so bad ass and unstoppable that Red She-Hulk came within a punch of killing him.
So the Hulk walking around wondering endlessly works?, do you even remember when the series was cancelled twice!
Since the first one was canceled in the early 60s no I don't, at least not personally. Also, much of the reason the book has struggled at times over the decades is specifically becuase the writer sometimes get carried away with altering the character to the point that they muck up the book to the point of utter convolution.
Nolans Batman ruled, and adding character development works, a story needs to be told and layers towards a character needs to be made.
Stating opinion as fact does not make it so. But that's all you gave me so I'll move on.
Again I disagree, substance comes with characters like the Rulk, this has been going on from day one and it has caltivated from the first issue of the hulk, if you want substance then you have it.
You just merged three different responses of mine into one and then said you disagree with points I'm not even making...

The "substance" I was referring to was what you claim is earned by character resurrection in stories, and not Rulk.

I don't know if you mean captivated or culminated. Assuming you mean captivated, the sentence makes no sense. Characters like Rulk have not been present since the first day of the hulk (unless of course you mean The Hulk himself, but you couldn't mean that as you yourself say ealier that Rulk is not similar or "hulk-like").

"If I want substance then I have it"? What exactly are you saying, or better yet, failing to say/imply? That the Rulk is the substance I want? Surly not. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Anyway I fear we simply won't see eye to eye on this topic. If you want to continue the debate that fine, but for me this is getting close to a waste of time.

My position in a nut shell is this: Change for the sake of change is bad writing. Change that separates the character from it's roots can also be a striking negative depending on the severity and quality with which it's done. Simple (as in not overly convoluted ans/or relying on easily abused techniques like deus ex machina; multiple red herrings; MacGuffins), engaging stories that define, advance and support a character are more often than not better than those that rely on radical (yet ultimately meaningless) shock/surprise/change, hyperbole and confusion/deception.

I'm a huge comic book fan actually. I'm more Marvel than DC but I'm reading Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison currently and will be picking up JMS' Superman when that starts.

The only title that has constantly surprised me with how long I keep picking up the new issues is X-Force. I thought it was going to be utter garbage when rebooted, but it's about the only mutie title I can read anymore.

For the love of God, he's named "Red Hulk", and looks like the hulk but with a pallet swipe. And you yourself say hes a "VERSION OF THE HULK". He's a "hulk like" character, sorry.
Yea, so bad ass and unstoppable that Red She-Hulk came within a punch of killing him.

And why was that?, Oh yes she was built stronger then the Rulk, she had the same ability which was' to drain the ' the gamma radiation from Hulk like creatures such as the Rulk.

Since the first one was canceled in the early 60s no I don't, at least not personally. Also, much of the reason the book has struggled at times over the decades is specifically becuase the writer sometimes get carried away with altering the character to the point that they muck up the book to the point of utter convolution.

Many Hulk issues have been closed down due to the repetitive storylines (as stated before), Rulk made it possible to bring the Hulk back with a bang.

The "substance" I was referring to was what you claim is earned by character resurrection in stories, and not Rulk.

Rulk is not just a character or a ressurection, Rulk is a continuation of an ongoing story that has yet to have reached its climax.

My position in a nut shell is this: Change for the sake of change is bad writing. Change that separates the character from it's roots can also be a striking negative depending on the severity and quality with which it's done. Simple (as in not overly convoluted ans/or relying on easily abused techniques like deus ex machina; multiple red herrings; MacGuffins), engaging stories that define, advance and support a character are more often than not better than those that rely on radical (yet ultimately meaningless) shock/surprise/change, hyperbole and confusion/deception.

change doesnt equal deception, change isnt being done for the sake of being bad, change is happening in order to establish a universal wide story that has just led RULK into the head office, give the story a chance.

I'm a huge comic book fan actually. I'm more Marvel than DC but I'm reading Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison currently and will be picking up JMS' Superman when that starts.

Elaborate for me, I want to see what these comics are about.

I used to collect, but stopped way back During the Age of Apocalypse

Theres a hell of alot that has gone on since age of apocalypse, heroes reborn, civil war to name a few.

you should give Marvel and DC another go!.
The only title that has constantly surprised me with how long I keep picking up the new issues is X-Force. I thought it was going to be utter garbage when rebooted, but it's about the only mutie title I can read anymore.

X Force has been one of the best X comics that i have seen in ages, I love also that it has gone deadly...

Well currently my pull list features:

Amazing Spider-Man
Batman & Robin
Avengers
and will also soon feature Superman as it will be written by J. Michael Straczynski who is a fantastic writer.

I'm a huge Spider-Man fan but the current direction of the title has been driving me away from it for a while. Back at the end of 2007 there was an event entitled One More Day in which saw Spider-Man's marriage to Mary-Jane end after they traded the marriage for Aunt May's life (that's right, they traded a perfectly good marriage for an old woman who had stated that she WANTED to die). Not only that but they made the deal with the devil himself, Mephisto (Marvel Comics Representative of the Devil).

This was seen as a re-launch and the title has morphed since then. There is a Braintrust rather than a recurring writer, artists also rotate. The book comes out three times a month. The new era was entitled Brand New Day (BND for short). BND was mostly solid to good for the first year (The Shocker Two Parter, The One off Flash Thompson in Iraq issue and New Ways to Die were all very good while the annual and pretty much anything written by Bob Gale sucked) but there was a sharp decline in quality over the course of the last year and a half. Editorial problems are be4coming more obvious and some stories are ridiculous. The book is an All Ages title and Spider-Man is having promiscuous masked sex with the Black Cat..? WTF? On top of that, there have been several instances where rape (or at least if you interpret it that way) has featured. In it's first instance it wasn't that bad as it worked within the story but when the Lizard does it to someone, I mean come on.

Most recently there was a story entitled SHED which was absolutely atrocious. It was written by Zeb Wells and drawn by Chris Bachalo and it was very, very bad. The art was awful, the writing was terrible but worst of all were the glaring plot holes, most notably: The Lizard talking. The Lizard has been able to talk since his first appearance back in the 1960's and then this happened:
amaz_632001.jpg

WHAT THE HELL?
This was would have taken a few seconds to research. There have only been two stories I can remember off hand where the Lizard couldn't talk and both were because he was under the influence of something else. This time, it was brain-dead writing. I was rather offended by this and the crapyness of the story.

As we hurtle ever closer to OMIT (the follow up to One More Day) I've given myself an ultimatum, OMIT answers and fixes something’s or I walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back