Of Muscles and Men: The Rob Terry Story

I get that everyone is against the guy but is that far when we have not seen what he can bring to the table?

Obviously he is terrible in the ring, No doubt but have we ever seen him cut a legit Promo? ... No. Have we really seen him work a decent size Singles match? Or any Single's match for that matter? ... No.

He could be shocking with all these things but I do not find it fair to judge the guy without seeing his full potential yet.

I feel that the Global Championship should get getting more focus than it has been (forgotten until recently) and I don't feel that young Rob Terry is the guy to focus on.

Nothing against Rob but if you want to build the Global belt as the answer to the Intercontinental Championship then you need to put it up on an upper mid-carder like Desmond Wolfe, Matt Morgan, Samoa Joe, et cetera. You know, guys who actually are over as legitimately dangerous wrestlers.

As for Rob Terry, I don't want to give up on him because we haven't seen anything beyond his muscles, a powerslam and getting yelled at by the Invasion. Let's not judge until we see what he is capable of first. But he's nowhere near ready to hold the Global belt.
Dude, I understand your arguement completely. You think that right now, the global championship doesn't have enough prestige from its previous holders. But as of right now, Booker T, AJ, and Kevin Nash are 3 very prestigious wrestlers who have held the belt. And in MY opinion, I would say that the wrestler doesn't need to add prestige to IT. But rather the belt needs to add prestige to the WRESTLER. Which is what TNA is going for. They realize that Rob Terry is nobody when it comes to respect and renown. But they also realize that he is going to be very important to the future of the company. So I have to applaud Russo on this one. Sorry Rob Terry haters.

I get that everyone is against the guy but is that far when we have not seen what he can bring to the table?

He's been in TNA for over 6 months and I have a feeling what we've seen from Rob Terry is all that he's currently able to bring to the table.

Obviously he is terrible in the ring, No doubt but have we ever seen him cut a legit Promo? ... No. Have we really seen him work a decent size Singles match? Or any Single's match for that matter? ... No.

They give him no mic time and give him virtually no ring time because he's terrible. He currently has no real ability as a pro wrestler. Rob Terry's move set is completely elementary. Anyone that's trained in the ring for a week has as much in-ring ability as Rob Terry does right now and, to my knowledge, Terry hasn't done anything to improve that. It's not an exaggeration really, it just literally is what it is. Hulk Hogan is counting on Rob Terry's look to get him over more than anything else because it's really all he has going for him.

He could be shocking with all these things but I do not find it fair to judge the guy without seeing his full potential yet.

No, he really won't be shocking. His first title defense as TNA Global Champion was an absolute farse that didn't do anyone involved in the angle any favors. The reason why they didn't give Terry an actual match is because the man can't wrestle. A punch, a clothesline and a slam makes up Rob Terry's entire move set which is, as I said earlier, about as elementary as it can get. Rob Terry isn't remotely ready for the spot he has in TNA right now.

Dude, I understand your arguement completely. You think that right now, the global championship doesn't have enough prestige from its previous holders. But as of right now, Booker T, AJ, and Kevin Nash are 3 very prestigious wrestlers who have held the belt. And in MY opinion, I would say that the wrestler doesn't need to add prestige to IT. But rather the belt needs to add prestige to the WRESTLER. Which is what TNA is going for. They realize that Rob Terry is nobody when it comes to respect and renown. But they also realize that he is going to be very important to the future of the company. So I have to applaud Russo on this one. Sorry Rob Terry haters.

Any prestige the title had has long since been eroded by the lame duck reign of Eric Young. Young held the title for 101 days and defended it twice: once against Hamada and once against Rob Terry. In his defense against Hamada, Young had to cheat to win and his second defense had him losing to the most inexperienced and poorly skilled member of the TNA roster. He was booked as a weak champion throughout his entire run. For about half of his reign, Eric Young was MIA from TNA iMPACT!. He didn't wrestle nor did he even appear on television to cut promos. Even when he was on iMPACT!, he still didn't wrestle due to the World Elite's anti-American angle and all of it combined only served to hurt the title in the long run. As a champion, it's important to have a visible presence otherwise it's perfectly natural for fans to lose interest in both yourself and the title you've got. Championships can be and usually are devalued as a result of hot potato reigns and lame duck reigns in the eyes of fans. The Intercontinental Championship in the WWE were perfect examples. Prior to Rey Mysterio winning the IC title, nobody really cared about it. Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Dolph Ziggler and John Morrison have restored a lot of prestige to the IC title and Drew McIntyre has been portrayed as a strong champion with clean wins over the likes of Morrison and Kane. When fans don't care about a championship, it means they don't care about the wrestler or wrestlers holding it and it's hard to care about a wrestling champion that has virtually no presence.

The guy's a generic musclehead. That's all he is...just like Brock Lesnar

You lump Brock in with Lashley, Batista, Goldberg and co? - Seriously Brock Lesnar was a terrific athlete and was far more then a simple muscle bound freak, he didn't have much of a gimmick but Brock didn't need one.

Rob Terry and Brock Lesnar should NEVER be compared.

However I find the remainder of your comparisons to be fair. Although I must say I thought Goldberg had a better look than Terry. He just looked like he could whip some ass. Terry...well he looks like he can't turn to wipe his own A$$ but that doesn't exactly scare me...

Just My Opinion

I don't care about Rob Terry himself - I don't like him and I don't dislike him. I think it's fine that they feature a wrestler on TV even though he's green an not having a lot of ring experience. I'm not going to hate on him for that alone.

However it does really confuse me why he has a title right now. After watching Impact yesterday, the only thing I could think after watching Angle hit Anderson with the chair was that TNA management does not trust Rob Terry to have a decent singles match. Again, that wouldn't bother me normally, but to give a championship (no matter how un-prestigious it is) to a wrestler who like never has televised singles matches is kind of unsettling. At least let the guy show he can have two or three good singles matches before giving him a title.

I'm not doubting Rob Terry because of his size. It's just that not too long ago, reports were on websites like this one that the guy LITERALLY could only do a closeline and like two other moves. If they could have proved that wrong, or at least prove that he has improved since then by letting him have some competitive singles matches before giving him a title then I would have no problem with this. I'm not hoping for him to fail, I just am not sure he is ready to have a title.

Another Rob Terry thread made by GD. I'm starting to get jealous.

Anyway on topic. Rob Terry has improved quite a bit since he first started and he has actually started to grow on me. Hopefully he does get pushed so I can see if he can cut it in TNA. He isn't the best in the ring or on the mic, (wait I have never heard him on the mic, well that will probably change) but there is something about him that makes me feel like he could do pretty well in the future. Lets just hope he improves more and more and his push doesn't get fucked up.

Reactions: gd
I think this guy sucks, and wont amount to much. The Global title is meaningless, and the way he defended it on the last Impact makes it more so. I don't know why TNA even bothers trying to get him over. They have really talented guys they should be focusing on not this roid monster.

You lump Brock in with Lashley, Batista, Goldberg and co? - Seriously Brock Lesnar was a terrific athlete and was far more then a simple muscle bound freak, he didn't have much of a gimmick but Brock didn't need one.

Rob Terry and Brock Lesnar should NEVER be compared.

However I find the remainder of your comparisons to be fair. Although I must say I thought Goldberg had a better look than Terry. He just looked like he could whip some ass. Terry...well he looks like he can't turn to wipe his own A$$ but that doesn't exactly scare me...

Just My Opinion

Well I wasn't exactly comparing Rob Terry with Brock Lesnar all the way. Obviously, Brock Lesnar is very talented for a big man but what I meant is that Brock Lesnar had a gimmick that was done many times in the past and future: playing the "big, muscled-up monster". And Brock's mic skills wasn't that good either. So there's my reason for the comparison.

I am not a Big Rob hater. I generally do dislike the musclebound no speaking skills guys that come along from time to time but they clearly have their place in wrestling history. At the moment though Terry lacks the explosiveness most of the succesful ones had. His power moves are starting to improve in this area but beyond that he seems like he is wreslting with a broom shoved up his butt, so slow, so inflexible. If someone could teach him any in ring psychology he could be passable. I'd say its 50/50 at this point.

So, as some of you may know, I've been a big supporter of Rob Terry ever since he debuted in TNA. My thread "Why do you hate Rob Terry?" was a big success. Despite not doing anything completely horrible, people continually shit on Terry for being the worst wrestler of all time.

Fast forward a few months, and Rob Terry is Global Champion. He finally stood up to that dick Magnus and even won a match against Mr. Anderson, who is supposed to be the next rising star in TNA. He's still as muscular and as oily as ever.

Your thoughts?

Wait a minute, by this sheer logic, you are saying that Hornswoggle is a great wrestler because he held the Cruiserweight title. Byt this sheer logic, you are saying that Oklahoma was great because he was the WCW Women's champion. By your sheer logic, Harvey Whippleman was a magnificent wrestler just because he was the WWF women's champion. I mean could prolly go on forever, citing such champions as the late great David Arquette(hey, his career is dead enough) as sources of sheer amusement while I poke fun little holes in your logic, I won't waste either of our times.

I'll just say this. You are wrong. But only half wrong. Right now, Rob Terry is shit . He is absolutely one of the worst wrestlers that I have ever seen in the ring, but hey so were many before him. Even Tyson Tomko was craptastic when he was in the WWE. But if there is anywhere that can take Rob and transform him into a halfway decent wrestler, it's TNA. I'm not sure what their secret is, but they can only help him increase his upside and, yes, become TNA's version of Batista. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Lacey Von Erich. And that is pretty much the one thing that will prevent Terry from becoming a superstar, ego. If he keeps it in check then the sky is the limit. If he gets a big head from a little push, then he will do nothing but fuck up his whole career and end up punching people in the throat in Japan for a living. Plain and simple.

they can only help him increase his upside and, yes, become TNA's version of Batista

My first post here, and I fully agree with this statement. Give the guy time, Rob ain't really that old yet. He just has to get on the mic more and stop moving around, like someone said, like a broom is poking into his arse.

Wait a minute, by this sheer logic, you are saying that Hornswoggle is a great wrestler because he held the Cruiserweight title. Byt this sheer logic, you are saying that Oklahoma was great because he was the WCW Women's champion. By your sheer logic, Harvey Whippleman was a magnificent wrestler just because he was the WWF women's champion. I mean could prolly go on forever, citing such champions as the late great David Arquette(hey, his career is dead enough) as sources of sheer amusement while I poke fun little holes in your logic, I won't waste either of our times.

There are a couple of things wrong with your argument. First of all, I never said Terry was a great wrestler because he has a title. I said that he has a great look and the fact that he has a title means that he's getting a push. Obviously simply having a title doesn't mean that you're great. It's just a sign that TNA may actually be giving him a serious push.

I'll just say this. You are wrong. But only half wrong. Right now, Rob Terry is shit . He is absolutely one of the worst wrestlers that I have ever seen in the ring, but hey so were many before him. Even Tyson Tomko was craptastic when he was in the WWE. But if there is anywhere that can take Rob and transform him into a halfway decent wrestler, it's TNA. I'm not sure what their secret is, but they can only help him increase his upside and, yes, become TNA's version of Batista.

I don't understand all of the "worst wrestler I've ever seen" responses when he's hardly wrestled at all. Sure, he may not be very good, but maybe they aren't allowing him to have any matches of decent length until they're sure he's ready.

Also, I think you make a good point in saying if anyone can transform him, it's TNA. Remember when Morgan was a completely shitty wrestler? Now he's at least decent and a pretty big part of the company.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for Lacey Von Erich.

She should be burned at the stake.

And that is pretty much the one thing that will prevent Terry from becoming a superstar, ego. If he keeps it in check then the sky is the limit. If he gets a big head from a little push, then he will do nothing but fuck up his whole career and end up punching people in the throat in Japan for a living. Plain and simple.

I don't see any reason why Terry should be cocky. He's in a lower level wrestling company as the #4 or 5 champion. Brits are usually well mannered, aren't they? I think he should deal with the potential of success quite well.

I think for me when I saw his first match I thought he never wrestled before. He doesn't know how to land a proper punch nor even fake hitting with the briefcase. As soon as I saw his clothesline I thought his days were numbered and not being pushed!

I was apart of the huge lynch mob for Rob Terry at first, but then I realized that the guy is green and hasn't had too much ring time. I think he has improved overall, and I hope being the global champion will make him more popular with the crowd. We still haven't seen that much from him, so there is no reason to fire him.

I think the more time he is allowed to talk and even wrestle in the ring, the better he will become. He might even be the next Matt Morgan or Batista if he is used right.

The fact that the same people that shit on Terry are those that have a wank over Matt Morgan. Terry may not be Bret Hart in the ring, but he's better than Matt Morgan, and he probably has the best look in wrestling for a long time. Having the look, being good in the ring, and being good on the mic are three very seperate skills, though you can acheive in wrestling by having only one of them, just look at Batista, Chris Benoit and Mr. Kennedy as evidence of that. Terry hasn't had any mic time, but eve if the look is all he has, it's enough for him to be a reasonably big star. TNA is reasonably popular in the UK, and having him high up the card may benefit them in future tours. Terry isn't great, far from it, but he's not even the worst from the British Invasion, and there's potential there to be exploited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back