Nominate Bands for the WZ Rock Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you missed Machine Head, Killswitch Engage, Lacuna Coil & Stone Sour

Machine Head is probably one of the best metal bands of 90/00s, and The Blackening was voted best metal album by two different metal magazines, and has received loads of good reviews, not only from critics but also from many other metal bands and musicians, and then you look at all the stuff they've released

-Burn My Eyes (released 8/9/94)
-The More Things Change... (released 3/25/97)
-The Burning Red (released 8/10/99)
-Supercharger (released 10/2/01)
-HellAlive (released 3/11/03)
-Through the Ashes Of Empires (released 4/20/04)
-Elegies(DVD) (released 10/11/05)
-The Blackening (released 3/27/07)

Machine Head has to be in this thing, they've contributed to much to modern metal to be left out

Killswitch being left off IMO is a fucking joke, a week ago I had them one a poll to determine who would be the next band in my Music Asylum, and Foo Fighters only beat them by one lousy vote, of all the people that voted for KSE only one person didn't leave a post stating why they wanted them in, I think that alone should be reason enough to put KSE in there, shit read the posts for yourself...

I love all of the other bands, but right now I am in love with Killswitch Engage. In my opinion, they are one of the few metal bands that break through the barrier and resonate with the casual listener. Jones' voice is very melodic, and he can scream with the best of them as well.

KsE is very adept at creating a wide variety of songs, from slow, melancholy songs to fast, anger-feeding riots. I have all their albums and I highly recommend the "As Daylight Dies Special Edition", with the 4 bonus songs. Well that is my case for KsE. Great thread, by the way...

Killswitch Engage. - By far the greatest mainstream Metalcore band out there. Their only album which lacks in quality is their latest - they just didn't manage to capture the epic choruses and catchy rhythms they did on previous releases. Overall, I prefer the Jesse Leach era, but The End of Heartache is a fantastic album.

My thoughts on their best album, Alive or Just Breathing, which I reviewed a little while ago;

"One of the leaders and pioneers of the Metalcore movement, Killswitch Engage manage to make an album which isn’t generic, dull, boring, and plain uninspiring, which is what the majority of Metalcore bands these days tend to spew out.

Playing a hybrid of Hardcore and Groove orientated Thrash Metal, with some nice Iron Maiden-esque melodies thrown in, this album offers tight musicianship, heavy, groovy riffs, and even the inclusion of acoustic guitars. Jesse’s vocal delivery, which alternates between furious roaring and clean melodic passages, just adds to this fine work of art. This truly is among the finest Metalcore albums known to man.

While this album is often dismissed as garbage among the Metal community, largely due to the album being labelled ‘Metalcore’, it’s among the finest of the genre. Killswitch are going to have a hard time topping this.
"

So with that being said, my vote goes to Killswitch.

I love Killswitch Engage so this is not even a competition in my eyes. They are absolutely phenomenal live. This band encompasses all that is great about metal. Howard has a killer vocal range- he utilizes so many different singing styles. The guitar riffs are so heavy yet they still have beautiful melodies as well. There are not many new metal bands that write songs with catchy hooks in them. KSE does this extremely well. They definately deserve a tribute in the Asylum.

Toss up between Foo Fighters and KSE.

I went with KSE, they are just badass, most of their songs are hot shit and all worth a listen and very catchy, as said one of the best metal bands out there today, if not the best. Their albums are fantastic. Gotta go with them.

Now on to my case for Lacuna Coil, simply put the chick can sing, and those albums never get old, I'll be honest if this band doesn't make it I won't be really disappointed but I do fell they should get in there, they are good...better than Evenesance

and finally Stone Sour, all I'm gonna say is that awhile ago I made a Slipknot vs. Stone Sour thread, where I asked the poster who they liked more and Stone Sour get just as many if not more posts and votes than Slipknot, so take that for what it's worth

Mostly I just want to see Machine Head & KSE in there, but it would also be nice to see Lacuna Coil and Stone Sour in there as well

BTW the reason nobody mentioned Candlebox is because they were really nothing more than a one hit wonder, and no really gives a crap about them, not saying they're bad, just saying they're not very memorable (which should be pretty obvious by the fact that no one mentioned them)

Preliminary 90's and 2000's List of Artists:

Nirvana
Live
Bush
The Offspring
Soundgarden
The Black Crowes
Alice in Chains
Sublime
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Oasis
Smashing Pumpkins
Rage Against the Machine
Stone Temple Pilots
Nine Inch Nails
Pearl Jam
Beck
Ben Folds Five
Blink 182
Foo Fighters
Radiohead
3 Doors Down
Nickelback
System of a Down
Incubus
Kid Rock
Linkin Park
Weezer
The White Stripes
Audioslave
Velvet Revolver
Tool
Coldplay
Green Day
Primus
Blur
The Flaming Lips
White Zombie
Prodigy
The Cranberries
Bad Religion
Dream Theatre
Queens of the Stone Age
The Gorillaz
The Strokes
Muse
The Roots
The Deftones
Slipknot
Korn
Staind
AFI
Jimmy Eat World
POD
Godsmack
Anti-Flag
Soul Asylum
Better Than Ezra
Blind Melon
Candlebox (how did nobody nominate these guys?)
Coal Chamber
Collective Soul
Counting Crows
Creed
Days of the New / Tantric
Eve 6
Sugar Ray
Everclear
Everlast
Filter
Pantera
Rancid
Jane's Addiction
Silverchair
Blues Traveler
No Doubt
Marilyn Manson
Fuel
Garbage
Gin Blossoms
Goo Goo Dolls
Hole
Orgy
Our Lady Peace
Seven Mary Three
Sponge
Stabbing Westward
Temple of the Dog
Third Eye Blind
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Tonic
Republica
Matchbox 20
The Wallflowers
Crash Test Dummies
They Might be Giants
Fishbone
Black Label Society
NoFx
Dave Matthews Band
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Ministry
Fugazi
Hootie & The Blowfish
Slayer
Prince
Sonic Youth
Saliva
Buckcherry
The Killers

How many THOUSANDS did I leave out? Well, you tell me. This is a pretty long list, but by no means final. I compiled this from all of your nominations, as well as a number of websites, so I may have also listed some twice. Just let me know a) any duplicates, b) any other bands you want to make a case for, and c) any bands or artists you feel have no place here.

AWESOME list. I approve of just abot everyone in here.Seeing Fugazi andSublime in there is great.

My only two concerns are Buckcherry and The Killers being to green, but eh who cares?

Just as I said before though Three Days Grace HAS to be in this. They have one album this year. One-X, but an album that will not be forgotten. Iremeber first listening to them on SDVR 2007 and i hear "Riot" and "Animal I have become I fell in love with them. Along with those two song other two greats are "I hate everything about you" and "Pain".

and finally Stone Sour, all I'm gonna say is that awhile ago I made a Slipknot vs. Stone Sour thread, where I asked the poster who they liked more and Stone Sour get just as many if not more posts and votes than Slipknot, so take that for what it's worth

Slipknot:11 Stone Sour:9
So,yea it was pretty close.

Very happy with the 90's/00's list. Glad to see Ben Folds Five, maybe put (Ben Folds) next to it because he has put out a LOT of good music since the band broke up.

Preliminary 90's and 2000's List of Artists:

Nirvana
Live
Bush
The Offspring
Soundgarden
The Black Crowes
Alice in Chains
Sublime
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Oasis
Smashing Pumpkins
Rage Against the Machine
Stone Temple Pilots
Nine Inch Nails
Pearl Jam
Beck
Ben Folds Five
Blink 182
Foo Fighters
Radiohead
3 Doors Down
Nickelback
System of a Down
Incubus
Kid Rock
Linkin Park
Weezer
The White Stripes
Audioslave
Velvet Revolver
Tool
Coldplay
Green Day
Primus
Blur
The Flaming Lips
White Zombie
Prodigy
The Cranberries
Bad Religion
Dream Theatre
Queens of the Stone Age
The Gorillaz
The Strokes
Muse
The Roots
The Deftones
Slipknot
Korn
Staind
AFI
Jimmy Eat World
POD
Godsmack
Anti-Flag
Soul Asylum
Better Than Ezra
Blind Melon
Candlebox (how did nobody nominate these guys?)
Coal Chamber
Collective Soul
Counting Crows
Creed
Days of the New / Tantric
Eve 6
Sugar Ray
Everclear
Everlast
Filter
Pantera
Rancid
Jane's Addiction
Silverchair
Blues Traveler
No Doubt
Marilyn Manson
Fuel
Garbage
Gin Blossoms
Goo Goo Dolls
Hole
Orgy
Our Lady Peace
Seven Mary Three
Sponge
Stabbing Westward
Temple of the Dog
Third Eye Blind
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Tonic
Republica
Matchbox 20
The Wallflowers
Crash Test Dummies
They Might be Giants
Fishbone
Black Label Society
NoFx
Dave Matthews Band
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Ministry
Fugazi
Hootie & The Blowfish
Slayer
Prince
Sonic Youth
Saliva
Buckcherry
The Killers

How many THOUSANDS did I leave out? Well, you tell me. This is a pretty long list, but by no means final. I compiled this from all of your nominations, as well as a number of websites, so I may have also listed some twice. Just let me know a) any duplicates, b) any other bands you want to make a case for, and c) any bands or artists you feel have no place here.

Great list so far IC25 for the 90's and 00's region, the only bands that I would add to it would be Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Semisonic, Lenny kravitz, and Alanis Morrisette

Great list so far IC25 for the 90's and 00's region, the only bands that I would add to it would be Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Semisonic, Lenny kravitz, and Alanis Morrisette

Shit, he did leave Disturbed off, maybe that's cause they aren't influential enough for Xfear:rolleyes:

BTW just noticed 7Dust isn't on there either, with albums like Home, Animosity, and Seasons I just fail to see why they shouldn't be on the list

Justin, I sent your arguement to a board vote in a separate thread. All good bands, I'd have no trouble including them if they get support.

That being said, old friend, YOUR ARE PAINFULLY WRONG ABOUT CANDLEBOX AND YOUR FACE!!!

Candlebox was not a one hit wonder. Maybe a one-album wonder, but their one album was fantastic, and had three hits on it. I put it up there with Bush's Sixteen Stone. Far Behind, You, and Cover Me were all singles with radio play then AND now on major radio stations. WAY too much talent to pass up.

As it is, I am upset that I cannot, in any good conscience, put Brother Cain in the tournament because I feel like I am the only one who supports him. Brother Cain performed such songs as "And Fools Shine On," "I Lie in the Bed I Make," and "Got No Shame." Anyone have my back here?

Shit, he did leave Disturbed off, maybe that's cause they aren't influential enough for Xfear:rolleyes:

BTW just noticed 7Dust isn't on there either, with albums like Home, Animosity, and Seasons I just fail to see why they shouldn't be on the list

There is no way I left off Disturbed, is there?!

Fuck! I did! They will be added.

As will 7Dust. That is an amazing hard rock band, and deserves a shot at the tourney. Songs like Bitch, Denial, Angel's Son, etc. Great concert band too. They were on my hand written scratch list, which is home, hence forgetting them. Thanks, guys!

Erm, I think you missed off Arctic Monkeys, I know they're not that big in the US of A, but they're absolutely fucking huge over here, and that is no understatement whatsoever. They've had two number one singles in the UK and every one of their singles have been top ten, bar one. Oh yeah, they've headlined Glastonbury Festival, any band who can headline in front of a crowd of 90,000 people deserves to be in this tournament in my opinion.

[youtube]Gb9SWuqVguI[/youtube]

Well I figure If bands like Saliva, Marylin Manson, and Godsmack all made the tournament, then why not Disturbed? There easily just as popular as any of the other 3 bands I just named. I would be worried about Drowning Pool because they really haven't been good since Dave Williams was in the band, and that was years ago.

I would also like to see Papa Roach added to that list

Well I figure If bands like Saliva, Marylin Manson, and Godsmack all made the tournament, then why not Disturbed? There easily just as popular as any of the other 3 bands I just named. I would be worried about Drowning Pool because they really haven't been good since Dave Williams was in the band, and that was years ago.

I would also like to see Papa Roach added to that list

Papa Roach? really?, I mean they have gotten better since dropping the whole rapping shit, but they are still a shitty band

Drowning Pool only has one decent album and hasn't gotten any attention since Dave died, they've been pretty shit since then, I hate Saliva, and think Manson is ridiculously overrated, Godsmack is just kinda meh, they've got some good songs but in all honesty I'd could really care less about them, great live band though

the bands on the list are all popular, and should be there, Drowning Pool could be left off though, I don't think anyone would be to bothered if they were

Erm, I think you missed off Arctic Monkeys, I know they're not that big in the US of A, but they're absolutely fucking huge over here, and that is no understatement whatsoever. They've had two number one singles in the UK and every one of their singles have been top ten, bar one. Oh yeah, they've headlined Glastonbury Festival, any band who can headline in front of a crowd of 90,000 people deserves to be in this tournament in my opinion.

This band, The Arctic Monkeys, seems to mean an awful lot to you, Luther. Since I am in no way familiar with them, nor do I pretend to understand their importance in the UK, I am open to including them. I am just concerned that this will open the flood gates for dozens of posters to request that their local favorite be included. Any objections or support out there for The Arctic Monkees?

Any objections or support out there for The Arctic Monkees?

They're actually a bigger band than you give them credit for IC25. They're pretty damn big in the UK, but I'm not surprised their music isn't adored across the pond. I think they deserve to be in this, but not to get amazingly far. They're good, but not nearly as good as Luther makes them out to be.

Papa Roach? really?, I mean they have gotten better since dropping the whole rapping shit, but they are still a shitty band

Drowning Pool only has one decent album and hasn't gotten any attention since Dave died, they've been pretty shit since then, I hate Saliva, and think Manson is ridiculously overrated, Godsmack is just kinda meh, they've got some good songs but in all honesty I'd could really care less about them, great live band though

the bands on the list are all popular, and should be there, Drowning Pool could be left off though, I don't think anyone would be to bothered if they were

I did not include Drowning Pool for the same reason I could not bring myself to include Seether. They just aren't there yet. If the region were ONLY bands from the 2000's, they'd be in. But with 90's and 00's included, man, there is just too much competition.

Godsmack has had many strong albums, and really came into their own after humble beginnings as an Alice in Chains tribute band. They are in, and have a shot at a first round upset.

Manson is such a polarizing figure. He affected kids in the 90's like only Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vetter could claim they did, for better or for worse. He is a flamboyant performer, the center of mounds of controversy, and did in the 90's what Dee Snyder did in the 80's in the fight against censorship. There is no way anyone could justify leaving them off this list.

As for Papa Roach, see...Drowning Pool.

They're actually a bigger band than you give them credit for IC25. They're pretty damn big in the UK, but I'm not surprised their music isn't adored across the pond. I think they deserve to be in this, but not to get amazingly far. They're good, but not nearly as good as Luther makes them out to be.

Good, then Luther is doing his job. I don't give them any credit because I don't know who they are. That is why I can't leave them out. They may be a "UK Wild Card" band in this thing. You just have to ask yourselves - do they belong in a tournament to decide, out of 64, the greatest band of the new millenium? If you feel that way, then I won't block the road.

Good, then Luther is doing his job. I don't give them any credit because I don't know who they are. That is why I can't leave them out. They may be a "UK Wild Card" band in this thing. You just have to ask yourselves - do they belong in a tournament to decide, out of 64, the greatest band of the new millenium? If you feel that way, then I won't block the road.

Hell yes, as I said, they've had so many achievements already. They managed to sell out the Apollo theatre whilst still unsigned, scored a number 1 with their first single, and their second. Won the Mercury prize, won numerous NME and Brit awards, headlined Glastonbury, held their own festival in which they sold out Old Trafford Cricket Ground twice. That to name a few.

What about Alanis Morrisette and Lenny Kravitz, those would be two people I would push to be in this. Morrisette had her amazing breakthrough debut album as well as a desent follow up album. Kravitz was an icon throughout the 90's, he won 4 grammy's in a row for best rock musician for the years of 1999 to 2002

Hell yes, as I said, they've had so many achievements already. They managed to sell out the Apollo theatre whilst still unsigned, scored a number 1 with their first single, and their second. Won the Mercury prize, won numerous NME and Brit awards, headlined Glastonbury, held their own festival in which they sold out Old Trafford Cricket Ground twice. That to name a few.

Luther, the NME awards are a farce and Take That have won numerous Brit Awards. I mean, I support the Arctic Monkeys being here, but those rewards, to me at least, are just meaningless. The rest is pretty sound reasoning though, although accomplishments alone aren't what makes good music. Music is completely opinionated.

Luther, the NME awards are a farce and Take That have won numerous Brit Awards. I mean, I support the Arctic Monkeys being here, but those rewards, to me at least, are just meaningless. The rest is pretty sound reasoning though, although accomplishments alone aren't what makes good music. Music is completely opinionated.

That's the best part of this tournament. It is 10x more subjective than the Wrestling Tournament, where logic and fact-based details played such a HUGE role. Music is almost 100% emotional, as we've seen with some of the battles between Justin and XFear just in the nominating process.

Arctic Monkees get a chance.

Alanis Morissette? I could see it.

I though I put Kravitz in, but again, he may have been on the scratch paper. He's in too.

This region will have some preliminary outbracket matches.

Can you consider putting in three Days Grace like I stated two time before in this thread? If you havent listened to them before yuo deffintiley should.

Not sure if your still nominating but heres mine...

1960's/70's- Led Zeppelin
1980's- Pantera
1990's- Nirvana
2000's- Godsmack

whoah what about At The Drive-in. they were crazy infliencial and have what is considered one of the greatest rock albums of all time in Relationship of Command and were a quite big band in the 90s and early 2000s. they are some of the best musicians who would grace this tournament and I cant see a logical way to keep them out

Not sure if your still nominating but heres mine...

1960's/70's- Led Zeppelin
1980's- Pantera
1990's- Nirvana
2000's- Godsmack

Dude, next time please go back and read the thread. The preliminary bands for each region have been posted and announced.

Precip, I have been thinking about 3DG, because I actually like them alot and have seen them twice in concert. But I have to try to be somewhat objective. Let me see how many bands we end up with, and I will let you know if it looks possible. Trust me, I know you want them in there, and if there's space, then cool.

I know nothing about At The Drive In. Anyone else want to second the nomination?

I know nothing about At The Drive In. Anyone else want to second the nomination?

No not really, I'd just like to know who considers Relationship of Command "one of the greatest rock albums of all time", and how they were big in the '90s when I never heard of them until about five years ago, if they were big wouldn't that mean people would have heard of them?

besides we need to leave room for both Machine Head & KSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back