Nominate Bands for the WZ Rock Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Killswitch is in, Justin. The polls show support. Machine Head is on the bubble, along with At The Drive In.

Listen, everyone, I really want this to be fun for everyone but still realistic. I will give out a few "wild card" for bands that people believe strongly in knowing full well that they won't go anywhere against the top bands. I am fine with that, and if it heightens everyone's enjoyment of this tourney, that is the entire point of me doing this. So, If The Arctic Monkeys make Luther enjoy this tournament more, cool. If At the Drive In helps Freedom with it, sweet. If Machine Head fires Justin up, perfect. As long as, after these bands are eviscerated, you all stick around the keep it going for the major bands in the later rounds. In the end, we all have fun.

Dude, if Jimi Hendrix can't get in, how does Three Days Grace or At the Drive In even have a chance of getting in? I did notice that The Jimi Hendrix Experience wasn't in the 50's and 60's bracket.

Dude, if Jimi Hendrix can't get in, how does Three Days Grace or At the Drive In even have a chance of getting in? I did notice that The Jimi Hendrix Experience wasn't in the 50's and 60's bracket.

Again, Hendrix IS in, I just have to update because I accidentally left him off. There can be NO rock tourney without Hendrix. Don't worry, he's in the 50's and 60's, and I will update it, at latest, this weekend. We should be slated to begin this thing by mid- or late-April and take it into the summer.

I know nothing about At The Drive In. Anyone else want to second the nomination?

I know its not a nomination but Xfear had them in his list for the 90s if that helps their cause at all, and I really like the idea for wild cards because that gives some questionable bands that have someone supporting them strongly like me Justin and Luther are with ours and giving them a spot in the tournament even if they cant get enough major support and having them in some sort of play in game like in the NCAA tournament

I know its not a nomination but Xfear had them in his list for the 90s if that helps their cause at all, and I really like the idea for wild cards because that gives some questionable bands that have someone supporting them strongly like me Justin and Luther are with ours and giving them a spot in the tournament even if they cant get enough major support and having them in some sort of play in game like in the NCAA tournament

Ok, cool. So I will grant one wild card per poster. Someone who wouldn't normally make it but whom you REALLY want to see in this thing, even if it is just in an outbracket match. What is fun about that is, the outbracket matches will be close. Two obscure bands and the supporters of those bands fighting to get them into the main field. Like the play-in game of the NCAA tourney to see who gets to face North Carolina in the "true" first round.

I'd say include At The Drive-In because of the fact that they've influenced and virtually gave birth to the metalcore/hardcore genre. All of those carbon copy metalcore bands that have become a virus to MTV 2? They owe all of their sound to ATDI. Which isn't exactly praise, but considering their impact on the modern rock scene, I'd feel they deserve to be in.

Which is the same reason why I feel the Libertines need to be in this, because every single British indie-rock band has been desperately trying to be them for the last 5 years (Arctic Monkeys = Gigantic Libertines Ripoff).

What's this about one wildcard band per poster though? Does that mean I can throw out a suggestion for a wild card idea? If I did it would probably be a very small band, so as to give them more exposure.

I'd go with Defiance, Ohio. If you know who they are, good for you. If not, you will soon when I'm singing their praises up and down these forums. A fantastic folk-punk band. Just an idea if we're doing some sort of wildcard thing.

Hey, IC25 can you tell me when the brackets up so far are final? I ask this because I want to try to convince people tobput the Sex Pistols over RodStewart (fairly easy), but then after thatmost likely I will have to convince people why they should go over Aerosmith (fairly hard)

Sex Pistols should not go over Aerosmith by any means... Don't get me wrong they're good, but compared to Aerosmith? Not much of a decision there... But it'll be fun to watch you try and convince people...

Hey just looking at the bracket for the 70's and wondering why the Eagles are seeded at 19... I'm pretty sure they are the highest selling American band... I know that album sales aren't the only factor in this tourney but they're defintley not seeded where they should be imo...

Hey just looking at the bracket for the 70's and wondering why the Eagles are seeded at 19... I'm pretty sure they are the highest selling American band... I know that album sales aren't the only factor in this tourney but they're defintley not seeded where they should be imo...

The seeds were all picked randomly so as to avoid people bitching about who deserves to be top seed and what not.

The seeds were all picked randomly so as to avoid people bitching about who deserves to be top seed and what not.

Well, not exactly. I did go in a VERY loose order. If you notice, the top 10 bands or so deserve to be top 10 bands. I didn't want The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones in the first round, now, did I?

The fact is, for the seedings - last Friday night I sat down with a large glass of scotch and my fiancee and I TRIED to rank bands atleast CLOSE to where they'd be expected. Hence the seeding. Don't take the seeds too personally though, they were made to avoid collossal match-ups in round one.

I'd like to try to have brackets done by the end of the weekend.

Wild Card Bands - 90's and 2000's

Three Days Grace
Arctic Monkeys
Papa Roach
At The Drive-In
Defiance, OH
Nonpoint

I will take two more Wild Cards from two posters who have not yet nominated one.

Wild Card Bands - 90's and 2000's

Three Days Grace
Arctic Monkeys
Papa Roach
At The Drive-In
Defiance, OH
Nonpoint

I will take two more Wild Cards from two posters who have not yet nominated one.

So does this mean Machine Head is in the tournament, or are they being overlooked again yet again, because you got Nonpoint on that list, and Nonpoint is opening for Machine Head on tour right now, therefore suggesting that Machine Head a bigger band

So does this mean Machine Head is in the tournament, or are they being overlooked again yet again, because you got Nonpoint on that list, and Nonpoint is opening for Machine Head on tour right now, therefore suggesting that Machine Head a bigger band

I should leave them off just to spite you and all of your "this is crap" defiant posts, but yes, I will be including Machine Head in some capacity. In fact, I will make them the 7th Wild Card.

We have 128 bands for the 90's / 2000's. That works out PERFECTLY!

So, here is what happens - this region has no "wild card playoff." The wild cards get shitty draws because they have to go against the mammoths of the region, such as Live, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, etc. But at least they made it, and those of you who nominated them will get to educate the board as to why.

Is this agreeable to everyone?

In other news, Jakob Dylan was e-murdered by Type O Negative earlier today, and will thus be taking their place in the tourney.

The 1990's / 2000's Region - 1st Round Matches

Nirvana vs Beck
Pearl Jam vs The Deftones
Alice in Chains vs Seven Mary Three
Green Day vs Temple of the Dog
The Offspring vs Fugazi
Bush vs Sevendust
R.H.C.P. vs AFI
S.T.P. vs The Flaming Lips
Live vs The Roots
Soundgargen vs The Gorillaz
The Black Crowes vs Buckcherry
Smashing Pumpkins vs Killswitch Engage
Rage Against the Machine vs Soul Asylum
Collective Soul vs Jimmy Eat World
Tool vs Candlebox
Linkin Park vs Everclear
Radiohead vs Eve 6
Foo Fighters vs The Presdients O.T.U.S.A.
Oasis vs Days of the New / Tantric
Sublime vs Garbage
Nine Inch Nails vs Gin Blossoms
System of a Down vs Orgy
Prince vs Our Lady Peace
Korn vs Sponge
Counting Crows vs Toad the Wet Sprocket
Pantera vs Republica
Fuel vs Matchbox 20
Slayer vs Fishbone
Kid Rock vs Black Label Society
The White Stripes vs NoFx
Blink 182 vs Dave Matthews Band
311 vs Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Blur vs Ministry
Coldplay vs Third Eye Blind
Velvet Revolver vs The Killers
White Zombie vs Hootie & The Blowfish
Spliknot vs Machine Head
Goo Goo Dolls vs Anti-Flag
Hole vs Everlast
Disturbed vs Filter
Weezer vs Rancid
Nickelback vs Silverchair
Primus vs Stabbing Westward
The Cranberries vs Crash Test Dummies
Muse vs They Might Be Giants
Creed vs Saliva
Blind Melon vs Sugar Ray
Godsmack vs Better Than Ezra
Sonic Youth vs Tonic
3 Doors Down vs Type O Negative
Ben Fold Five / Ben Folds vs POD
Incubus vs Staind
The Strokes vs Three Days Grace
Lenny Kravitz vs Arctic Monkeys
Coal Chamber vs Papa Roach
Jane's Addiction vs At The Drive In
Marilyn Manson vs Defiance, OH
No Doubt vs Nonpoint
Blues Traveler vs Seether
Prodigy vs The Libertines
Bad Religion vs Drowning Pool
Dream Theatre vs Evanescence
Queens of the Stone Age vs Lacuna Coil
Audioslave vs Breaking Benjamins

Just so you know you are spelling [spunge] wrong it is like that not Sponge. This is minor but I did notice that. The Match ups seem good except the fact that bands are going to get killled in the first round.

Just so you know you are spelling [spunge] wrong it is like that not Sponge. This is minor but I did notice that. The Match ups seem good except the fact that bands are going to get killled in the first round.

And you expected...?

When you have 128 bands, we aren't going to have 64 even match ups. Let the smaller bands ave their moment, get killed, and set up the great matches in the late rounds. Just like the WZ Tournament, this all builds the anticipation to a climax.

I own two Sponge albums...pretty sure that's the spelling, but let me check Google...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponge_(band)...yup, Sponge.

Different band then. But what have this band done to get in. The other is a Ska Punk band so you know. But what has sponge released that everyone knows? For the life of me I don't know.

Different band then. But what have this band done to get in. The other is a Ska Punk band so you know. But what has sponge released that everyone knows? For the life of me I don't know.

Sponge's biggest hits were the songs "Molly" (also knows as "Sixteen Candles") and the awesome rock anthem "Plowed." They also got some significant radio play with their second album's single "Wax Ecstatic." They were good enough to make a field of 128 bands, but they shouldn't get out of the first round unless there are a mess of closet Sponge fans out there.

Hrmm....is Dinosaur Jr. in this thing? If not, they should be. Strew of early 90s hits, one of the original "grunge" bands, though they were always more musically diverse then that.

Thought I might give that idea a throw-out, see if anyone wants to second it. I'm sure we could make room by getting rid of some half-ass one-hit wonder band that made it in here.

Seriously I haven't heard of at least half the bands in this lates bracket. It's as if the British rock revival never happened. Very metal orientated this bracket. Oh and on a side note, where the balls are Kings Of Leon? I never campaigned for them on the assumption they'd be in it, I guess they're another case of a band being much bigger in Britain than they are in America.

Seriously I haven't heard of at least half the bands in this lates bracket. It's as if the British rock revival never happened. Very metal orientated this bracket. Oh and on a side note, where the balls are Kings Of Leon? I never campaigned for them on the assumption they'd be in it, I guess they're another case of a band being much bigger in Britain than they are in America.

I know of them, but they were only in one person's nominations list. I am not a huge fan of theirs, but I know some people from the UK are.

At this point we are splitting hairs. Nominations have been open for weeks and we have an excellent bracket of 128 bands out of 17 years of music. Not too shabby. I am not going to go adjusting a bunch of stuff because now there is dissention over who #128 should be. In the grand scheme of things, it does not matter. But for those of you who want to educate the members of the board on some of the more UK bands, then by all means, create a thread! I'll even be willing to do it for you and sticky it at that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back