No Post PPV Impact - Big Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If tonight's pay-per-view sucked, I'd have said that taking 2 weeks off would be smart. But, this show was awesome, and now we have to try and keep it going for 2 weeks to stay interested in January 4th. For those of us who don't like Hogan arriving, we really could have used a good show or two to give us some good matches, great promos, and develop some storylines...

Well basically, All storylines have ended besides Foley/Hogan which is developing.

January 4th is like a Season Premiere for Impact. New Storylines, Ring, Stage, Wrestlers, etc.

I'm starting to see why they took a Christmas break and remodeling the Impact Zone is probably one of the reasons.

as someone already said this was Spike TV's doing not there's.

Isn't that the day the only thing on gonna be Star Trek or something like that. Not checked whats going to be on but I think I read that like a few weeks back or something. I'm sure if it was up to TNA they have an event so they can build off the PPV and build some more up until Hogan coming in.

First off i am a fan of TNA it's just this doesn't make sense to me. The week of one of their biggest pay per views they don't have a televised episode of impact. Reguardless of it being Christmas Eve there should still be a show.

As if this wasn't enough next weeks edition of Impact is set up as a "4 hour greatest matches of the year Impact".Of course we all know the week after that in January 4th which is the week the Monday night war starts.

Where is the build of up for this "Huge" show on the 4th? How can we take them serious if they have 2 whole weeks without an actual episode?

First off i am a fan of TNA it's just this doesn't make sense to me. The week of one of their biggest pay per views they don't have a televised episode of impact. Reguardless of it being Christmas Eve there should still be a show.

As if this wasn't enough next weeks edition of Impact is set up as a "4 hour greatest matches of the year Impact".Of course we all know the week after that in January 4th which is the week the Monday night war starts.

Where is the build of up for this "Huge" show on the 4th? How can we take them serious if they have 2 whole weeks without an actual episode?

The two bolded parts are what I'm gonna focus on here.

Next weeks episode is no longer being billed as a "best of" episode. According to the bump at the end of iMPACT! last week, it's been replaced by an all night knockouts tourney. I think they're saving all the "Best of..." stuff for the premiere of TNA Epics.

As for the hype for the 4 hr. episode of iMPACT! Where the hell have you been? Don't you watch Spike TV? It's all over the place, yeah? Not to mention the huge billboard they have in Times Square. Point is, the advertising is there, it's just not flashy, in your face kind of stuff. Sometimes subtlety is an amazing thing. Plus, all the buzz it's getting on the internet, and even TNA's website.

This is something you need to take up with Spike TV. They were the ones who decided not to air a Christmas Eve Impact episode.

Now, I do agree with you but they will try and make up for it Next Thursday with a 4 Hour Show. A Best Of 2009 Episode and a Knockouts Episode.

The other reason why they did skip out on an episode was due to the construction of the Impact Zone for January 4th. Which is said to be going under full renovation overseen by Eric Bischoff which is why TNA did the Las Vegas episode in the first place.

So, In all fairness. TNA had many reasons why they did not do a Christmas Eve episode even if they are screwing themselves over with build up to January 4th.

I say how can we take any company seriously who believes that hulk hogan will bring them to the next or any level?Think about it this way Hulk has failed at everything he has ever done,accept when he was under Vince MacMahons Tutilage back in the day.His movie career failed,his two reality shows failed,the biggest commercial he's been in is 1-800 collect and he was one of the driving forces behind the collapse of wcw.Now back in the day late 80's early 90's I was as big a hogan fan as anyone,but seriously this seems like a desperate attempt to stay in the spotlight to me!

Reactions: VKO
I say how can we take any company seriously who believes that hulk hogan will bring them to the next or any level?Think about it this way Hulk has failed at everything he has ever done,accept when he was under Vince MacMahons Tutilage back in the day.His movie career failed,his two reality shows failed,the biggest commercial he's been in is 1-800 collect and he was one of the driving forces behind the collapse of wcw.Now back in the day late 80's early 90's I was as big a hogan fan as anyone,but seriously this seems like a desperate attempt to stay in the spotlight to me!

The collapse of WCW happened because AOL/Time-Warner didn't want wrestling on their networks.

Hulk Hogan was a big part of not one, but 2 huge wrestling booms in the 80's and Mid-90's.

It's because of Hogan's star power that WCW was even able to compete with the WWF head to head.

Do I think Hogan should be the focal point of TNA? Of course not.

But to say that everything he's done outside of being Vince McMahon's employee has failed just isn't true.

Is TNA gonna beat Raw on 1/4? Of course not.

But it's definitely cool as a fan to be able to switch between Raw and another wrestling show for the 1st time in almost a decade.

Well TnA have not do any advertising down here in australia for the 4th of jan.Its all WWE,the adds are tell us to watch and all the stuff on the net.The only adds for tna they have is for the tour and thats been postponed so why on earth are they still showing it.

Thats just me!

After the past two Raws, TNA can do whatever the hell the want with their product this week not have that bad of an impact on their product. Plus, it's not like the ratings would have been any good, what with it being Christmas and all.

As far as advertising goes, keep in mind the general/average wrestling fan does not spend much time, if any at all, looking up wrestling stuff on the internet. This is a fact that seems to be lost with TNA, read what Madden has said in his past WZ columns concerning this type of thing.

Now, if it's really true that Spike did not want to run an Impact episode this week, then there's another bump in the road for TNA. Not only is the future of TNA in question by many wrestling fans and critics because of Dixie and Russo, but now they might just start questioning Spike's ability to help promote TNA.

Many of us are aware of Hogan's debut date, but what about the general wrestling viewer? Those are the ones, whether you like it or not, are the majority and the ones who give the ratings.

Has TNA jumped the gun for Hogan's debut date? In my opinion, yes, they should have waited anoter month so they could really build it with more episodes of Impact as well as more marketing/advertising. Not to mention, once again in my opinion, they could usethat oppertunity to tease who is coming with Hogan... that and come up with a better angle than a so called power struggle.

It's like what one of the WZ writers said in one of his columns concerning this TNA situation, in a year we'll be discussing what a great move this was by TNA, or how their demise is only weeks away.

The reason they wouldn't have impact christmas eve is bc Spike TV would not let them. In fact they canceled all their shows that day so they could air a LONG star wars marathon. If I was Dixie or hogan I would be raising hell and make Spike give me my spot to hype the show, but I don't know all the circumstances and they are probably doing best.
The 4 hour impact will be 2hrs of greatest episodes then the nxt 2 hrs will be a knockout tourament for the #1 contenders spot. I personally think they should have a regular show that day and hype it up very much, but idk
What you guys think about that?

Well TnA have not do any advertising down here in australia for the 4th of jan.Its all WWE,the adds are tell us to watch and all the stuff on the net.The only adds for tna they have is for the tour and thats been postponed so why on earth are they still showing it.

Thats just me!

Do we live in th same country? There's far more advertising on FOX 8 for TNA than there is WWE and 4th of jan isn't a big deal over here because TNA is broadcast on saturday and RAW is on wednesday, neither of which is the 4th.

Well, to be fair, The USA Network has bumped WWE Raw quite often throughout the years (including during the Attitude Era where WWE's ratings for the show were at an all time high and when their ratings REALLY mattered) for the Westminster Dog Show and no-one pointed fingers at the WWE at the time -- unlike how TNA is taking some heat in this scenerio. WWE actually did raise a stink at the network at the time and, well, Raw was still bumped. The dog show was a ratings powerhouse for USA and WWE had to take the back seat. It was just accepted by the fan... err... "The WWE Universe" at the time. Most of the time, networks reserve the right to bump particular shows within reason.

It was TNA's show this time around, and, it's not fair to blame TNA for Spike's doing. And generally speaking, Christmas Eve ratings, well, just downright suck right across the board -- network and cable. We're talking so-low ratings that no-one makes money from programming. That's why we see a burning log on some stations for the entire day or even longer! It's waaaaay more cheaper to hit the "play" button for non-stop looped footage of a burning log for 24 hours than paying someone to program commercials and and another person to hit "play" on a second VT machine every 12 minutes for an actual program.

Back to the point though, Spike TV is guaranteed some numbers, albeit limited, to roll Star Wars with the marathon gimick compared to less marketable programming, including TNA and even UFC. Spike saves a ton-o-cash and still get a quick fix of guarenteed viewers.

The damage to TNA promoting the January 4th show here is quite minimal. The number of viewers would've been quite limited anyway. It would've made sense if TNA did a year in review type show, but the Star Wars gimmick by the network superscedes anything TNA could've come up with here anyway.

A new first-run episode of Impact! would've been a waste for TNA to air on Christmas Eve... even WWE tends to air "Best of..." type shows if their programming ends up on Christmas Eve... and WWE has way more resources than TNA and even WWE won't waste a first-run show on Christmas Eve.

Luckily, for TNA, Spike relieved TNA of any commitments to supply programming on Christmas Eve.

It actually worked out for both sides.

It's like you guys just think, eat and breathe wrestling. TNA has gone out their way to give us a revisit of Monday night war and you Fucks are still not happy.

What the hell is the title of this thread supposed to mean, its only wrestling like i previously stated, its fake and no educated person takes it seriously. Just wait till Jan 4th and i promise you, hell i guarantee TNA will pull out all the stops to put on a better show, it hasnt stopped them all year from doing so.

Im supposed to be going out with a HOT brunette that night but you know what FUCK that, im watch wrestling that night, this is 10 years in the making. If TNA gets under a 1.0 (even though i know they wont) then i wont post here again.

It's like you guys just think, eat and breathe wrestling. TNA has gone out their way to give us a revisit of Monday night war and you Fucks are still not happy.

What the hell is the title of this thread supposed to mean, its only wrestling like i previously stated, its fake and no educated person takes it seriously. Just wait till Jan 4th and i promise you, hell i guarantee TNA will pull out all the stops to put on a better show, it hasnt stopped them all year from doing so.

Im supposed to be going out with a HOT brunette that night but you know what FUCK that, im watch wrestling that night, this is 10 years in the making. If TNA gets under a 1.0 (even though i know they wont) then i wont post here again.
Can I just say congratulations to this man. I agree with everything you've said in its entirety. I think the title of this topic should be "How can we take the IWC seriously?", because honestly, I really struggle to respect certain opinions round here. It's just unbelievable. Will we ever be happy?! We've been pleading for competition for so, so long now, in order to give WWE the kick up the backside it oh so needs. So we get it, and they bring in Hulk to try and help promote it, yet another gripe the IWC has had with TNA over the years (their inability to advertise). So that, in itself, creates another thing to moan about for the IWC - Hulk Hogan. Whatever you think about him, you're missing the true point - You know ALOT about this guy, because he is wrestling. Yes, we don't like that - I don't, majority don't. But sorry guys, you can't argue with the fact he's the biggest name in wrestling history. Not Austin, not The Rock, it's Hogan.

Maybe Amazing Red should have been headlining the Jan 4th show....? :)

Sorry, i'm being bitchy now, but my point was: PEOPLE, enjoy this!! If you wern't about for the Monday Night Wars, then get involved and enjoy the ride, because we all know that this ride can come to an abrupt ending. And if you've been there once, you'll understand just how fun it used to be.

And dude, birds can wait - Organise another night with her. She'd surely understand that this coming up is one of the biggest nights in wrestling history in some time, right?.................... Surely?! :)

Selby

I can't agree with the folks who are saying that Hogan is debuting too early.

His signing was announced on October 27. So TNA has had all of November and December to put things in order. They could delay another month--into the annual Road to Wrestlemania timeframe. Into the Superbowl.

Given TNA's resources and position, they've probably done the best job they can hyping January 4. They got a commercial spot on Raw. They got a Hogan billboard up in Times Square, with some publicity about the billboard added on.

They're TNA. They're not Fox or Disney pushing a movie that has to make $200 million in an opening weekend.

The problem isn't going to be that their target audience didn't know Hogan was going to be on Impact. Their problem is figuring out who their target audience is, what they want and how Hulk Hogan on one hand and AJ Styles on the other hand fit into that.

Dude--buy a VCR. They're like, $50 bucks. Tape Raw. Watch the Impact replay on Thursday. Because, I'm just guessing here, pussy doesn't come around your way very often.

Dude, VCR went out of the window during bad WCW times. And i wouldnt tape RAW because ever since i started watching TNA in 2004 i have only watched WWE 3-4 per times a year. Dude, Pussy comes my way every day (no, i am not a male ****) but how many times do wrestling companies going head to head come in a life time. Once, twice, thrice. My point exactly. FUCK pussy.

If Bret hart is coming then i will record Raw that night and watch TNA as usual. I just cant see Raw being better that night, TNA looks like has got a lot planned surprises for us, including a new look to the Impact zone under the orders of Bischoff.

Advertising?!?!?! Advertising?!??!?! Holy Crap, I saw 5 commercials of that on Superstars, during the star wars marathon, during the UFC, and on RAW. There is advertising, and plenty of it. So as a marketing campaign I'm taking TNA quite serious. Now as a product in general. Laugh about, laugh about. I mean, the WWE tried making Kurt Angle a bad ass, but guess what, It didn't work. Horrible mic work, the commentators are just awful. Jeff Jarrett as always been a mid-card guy, and he is the "King of the Mountain". Overall, this is going to be some type of competition, but nothing to powerful. Flair and Hogan worked in the 90's, but won't work again. People are tired of these two. So how can I take TNA serious?!?!?!? I have not a clue, they are trying things that WCW did, and WWE did, and they do it crappy. So what will make TNA a serious competitor? Only one man. The man who claimed to be the real innovation of the Attitude era. A guy who didn't have much to work with, but created a cult following of wrestling fans. Paul Heyman will make TNA a serious competitor. Right now with the family orientated programming of WWE, TNA needs an envelope pusher. Not a Russo, russo just writes scripts, and that's all he should do. But Heyman can promote, script, and book with little or no talent and put on a good show. Riddle me this batman fans??? What made the Dark Knight the most successful batman movie, and comic book movie of all time??? Realism! That's what TNA needs! Vicious sexy realism! Don't forget Lance Storm, he could help out Heyman as well. So there's my two cents.

Im sick and tired of people talking about how Paul Heyman is the greatest wrestling figure, booker, innovator of all time. Just stop with the Bull Shit. When WWF and WCW were going head to head i dont think anyone cared about ECW except for a few thousand crazy people who were in to Hard rock, Blood and Violence.

I respect the guy for what he has accomplished but his company went bankrupt (thats, what i have been hearing for the past 10 years). What will he possibly bring to TNA apart from his good mic skills and charisma on Impact going head to head against RAW. I dont think he has anything to offer from a creative stand point of view because i have never seen him in action.

Im sick and tired of people talking about how Paul Heyman is the greatest wrestling figure, booker, innovator of all time. Just stop with the Bull Shit. When WWF and WCW were going head to head i dont think anyone cared about ECW except for a few thousand crazy people who were in to Hard rock, Blood and Violence.

I respect the guy for what he has accomplished but his company went bankrupt (thats, what i have been hearing for the past 10 years). What will he possibly bring to TNA apart from his good mic skills and charisma on Impact going head to head against RAW. I dont think he has anything to offer from a creative stand point of view because i have never seen him in action.

You know, except for the fact that he invented modern-day wrestling and set the standard for how story lines should be handled, and what is considered entertainment in today's wrestling industry. But yeah, I don't see what the big deal is either.

This is exactly what Raw needs as motivation to put on some legendary shows. Vince has BEEN THROUGH this before. He's lived through the mistakes, learned from them, and knows what to expect. TNA is at a major disadvantage from every angle, and this move to Mondays looks to be crippling unless they get lucky. I mean, despite this guest host thing being 100% shit, it's still bringing in viewers and ratings, however minuscule. The fact of the matter is that Vince has the resources of ATM Eric and Billionaire Ted, but he's not even close to making the same mistakes as Bischoff did.

Don't get me wrong, I think the TNA might put out some decent competition, and I really hope they do, but I just don't see it happening. WWE has name value, and if they take TNA seriously and step their game up, I don't see TNA standing a chance.

You know, except for the fact that he invented modern-day wrestling and set the standard for how story lines should be handled, and what is considered entertainment in today's wrestling industry. But yeah, I don't see what the big deal is either.

This is exactly what Raw needs as motivation to put on some legendary shows. Vince has BEEN THROUGH this before. He's lived through the mistakes, learned from them, and knows what to expect. TNA is at a major disadvantage from every angle, and this move to Mondays looks to be crippling unless they get lucky. I mean, despite this guest host thing being 100% shit, it's still bringing in viewers and ratings, however minuscule. The fact of the matter is that Vince has the resources of ATM Eric and Billionaire Ted, but he's not even close to making the same mistakes as Bischoff did.

Don't get me wrong, I think the TNA might put out some decent competition, and I really hope they do, but I just don't see it happening. WWE has name value, and if they take TNA seriously and step their game up, I don't see TNA standing a chance.

What does modern day wrestling mean? How did he set the standard how storylines should be handled? i would like to know please. The only storyline comes to people's mind when they think of ECW is the crucifixion one.

And i would also love to know how WWE will step up their game to beat TNA. Will they bring in the whole of Hollywood, Austin, Rock, Hogan (nope, he is in TNA). I dont think there is nothing WWE can do to bring their A game now to fight competition. They are just going to rely on their name brand to keep surviving and nothing else.

Speaking of taking something seriously.....how can I take this thread seriously? You're bashing a company for not airing on Christmas Eve? Can you blame them and/or Spike for not wanting to? Think of how low the ratings would be!

Plus, you're asking how anyone can take TNA seriously....right, I got that. However, when I just got done watching an episode of Raw where there was an unnecessary spoof on the Tiger Woods bullshit and then a skit where I'm expected to suspend my stronghold on reality and believe that there is a whole fuckin world under the WWE ring, where "Little People's Court" just happens to be. So you know what....shut up. If you're a fan of TNA, then you -- of ALL people -- should be able to cast this aside and be excited at the changes they are making and the steps they are taking to become a true competitor to the WWE. I'm a fan of TNA too, but I don't care that they didn't have an episode last night....I'm busy with the holidays this entire weekend and, quite frankly, wouldn't even have the time to sit down and watch it on my DVR even if it did air.

Instead, I will sit back and hope the best for TNA as they prepare for the new year. You, as a supposed "fan" of the company, should probably do the same. Now really isn't the time to critcize pointless, insignificant shit like this. If TNA plays their cards right, we could see some great product from both companies. In the end, as wrestling fans, we can all win.

So they didn't air a Christmas Eve edition of Impact? Who the fuck cares.
So they originally planned on doing a "Best of..." edition? Who the fuck cares. Actually. You know what? I do! I would enjoy that! Who wouldn't mind seeing some of the best PPV and Impact matches from this past year? Again, as a fan, you should be praising and loving this shit.

Got any more problems with TNA? Like the fact that their logo is red?

Supersayin said:
And i would also love to know how WWE will step up their game to beat TNA. Will they bring in the whole of Hollywood, Austin, Rock, Hogan (nope, he is in TNA). I dont think there is nothing WWE can do to bring their A game now to fight competition. They are just going to rely on their name brand to keep surviving and nothing else.

I'm going to cut you some slack, because you admit you don't know shit about anything.

So I'll educate you a little bit.

WWE doesn't have to improve a single damn thing about Raw or Smackdown to crush TNA. All they have to do is raise the cost of doing business to TNA and Spike until EITHER Spike or Panda Energy fold their hand.

I'd rather not litter the forum with this, but since dumbasses don't read the first eight times, here goes #9 or #10.

You quoted from this post, you dumb bastard. You quoted the list of major promotions, and announced you didn't know shit about any of them.

Now try reading the rest of the post. And remember that WWE is a corporate machine that has been doing this for twenty five, thirty, forty plus years. They know merchandising. They know advertising. They know how to market PPV. They know how to run live events.

TNA is bad at all of those things. And they are challenging the big dog.

johnbragg said:
The problem with Monday Night Wars II is that TNA is outgunned, out-cashed, outmanned and outclassed.

Vince McMAhon will only improve his TV shows as a last resort. That's hard. He will instead run TNA out of business. That's relatively easy...

If WWE starts to feel threatened today, there are five moves they can make over the next year or so to weaken TNA without changing one minute of the guest-hosted home for midgets doing crotch chops.

1. Let the WWE main-event talent know that they are at war. Grudges will be held against any main eventer who goes to TNA when their contract is up. Vince has placed ego before wallet before, and if he did it with Hulk Hogan he can certainly do it with Edge or Mysterio or even Cena.

2. Institute a lighter "veteran main eventer" (VME) schedule for ex-champions over 35. (Those are the most likely to jump to TNA for the lighter schedule, and the most in need of time off anyway to prolong their WWE main event careers.) RVD and Kurt Angle would be eligible. Let Cena, Orton, HHH, Punk, Morrison, and two or three rotating "VME"s carry the load at house shows.

3. Talent raid on TNA's key talent. Kurt Angle is a free agent, unless he has re-signed and TNA hasn't publicized it. Samoa Joe's contract is up in 2010 or 2011, as is Awesome Kong's. AJ Styles is locked up unti 2014. Everyone else on the TNA roster is either a net negative to TNA or is an interchangeable part.

4. Talent raid on TNA's ordinary talent. Whenever a cheap TNA guy's contract is up, offer a WWE TV roster minimum guarantee one-year deal. Some will come to WWE, TNA will match the offer to some, but TNA's pay scale goes up dramatically at minimal cost to WWE.

5. Counterprogramming. Next year, move Smackdown to Thursdays. 8pm Mondays, run a one-hour "pregame show" from a studio. Have three or four panelists review the last week's matches and feuds, preview this week's Raw, Smackdown, ECW and Superstars. Interview wrestlers. To really twist the knife on TNA, show one or two matches during the hour. Go to the WWE 24/7 tape libraries to run a classic match between or at least involving whichever Over-The-Hill gang members are feuding on TNA this week. Create a new X-division/Cruiserweight style "TV title" exclusive to the studio show and let Evan Bourne, Shelton Benjamin, Low-Ki, Chavo and a couple of others they have hanging around FCW go nuts. Bring in Petey Williams, Brian Kendrick, Sonjay Dutt, Paul London, and Johnny Devine for one-shot appearances to fight for that title.

All without improving one second of Raw, Smackdown or ECW, with the exception of adding RVD, Angle and Joe.

How I could take TNA serious is they would stop pussy footing around and find their identity. They have a hybrid ring, and are now just showing people that a six sided ring works better than a traditional four sided one. Also if TNA had gone live without Hogan to show case Ultimate X as the Main Event I'd be happy. But I'm not the only one to say this. Limit Hogan's control. He may work for name recognition but TNA needs to focus on show casing better wrestling. Not allowing Hogan to sell more books. TNA is a great alternative to WWE. But C'mon, they have everything going for them. Enough matches that are innovative, and keep the product fresh. Also the women's wrestling is a lot better. With the women having both a world and tag belts. That is a plus for the business. What TNA is doing is good for the wrestling business. But TNA needs to find its identity as an alternative. Either next year they will have found it after the January 4th edition. Or they'll still be looking for it with the partnership with Hogan taking them backward instead of forward. Hogan talks about the fans but he didn't give a shit about the TNA fans when TNA was ten bucks a week on PPV. The fans supported TNA in the early days, and have an alternative to WWE. But TNA doesn't need to throw it all away on Hogan. TNA has been hit with bad publicity because of Angle's legal problems. Even if they did get dismissed later at the time TNA didn't need to be hit with that. So TNA please find your own identity, and don't let Hogan fuck up something that one day could bring WWE to its knees.

The collapse of WCW happened because AOL/Time-Warner didn't want wrestling on their networks.

Hulk Hogan was a big part of not one, but 2 huge wrestling booms in the 80's and Mid-90's.

It's because of Hogan's star power that WCW was even able to compete with the WWF head to head.

Do I think Hogan should be the focal point of TNA? Of course not.

But to say that everything he's done outside of being Vince McMahon's employee has failed just isn't true.

Is TNA gonna beat Raw on 1/4? Of course not.

But it's definitely cool as a fan to be able to switch between Raw and another wrestling show for the 1st time in almost a decade.
I disagree totally do you think if wrestling on time warner was making money they would want it off air not likely.They put it on the air for a reason not to lose money, and after the buzz of Hogan and NWO wore off and they had to start giving away tickets to there live shows of course they wanted them off air it was embarrasing for the company. And one of the men responsible was not only Bischoff but Hogan And his desire to have himself and all his buddies on top of the wrestling world!Oh and by the way there is alot I like about TNA ,I just see it going down the wrong path,I don't like where it's going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back