No Post PPV Impact - Big Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
For anyone who hasn't noticed, there is no Impact for the Thursday following Final Resolution. I know the reasoning is that it's Christmas Eve, but I really think it's a mistake to not have a show on.

Having to wait a full 3 weeks after the pay-per-view to see the fallout is going to kill anything that might happen at the show. Feuds will be dead without actually getting any air time, and pushes will end because no one will have seen them by the time they return.

They can't say the ratings would suffer. Sure, it's a holiday, but everyone is guaranteed to be somewhere near a TV, and how low can they really go? Fallout shows usually draw anyway, so I don't see them taking a hit.

This just has bad news written all over it...

Last time on Supernatural, Satan raises up one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and two of the heroes died. Everything looks bleak and it was one of the best episodes of the series.

The next episode airs 8 weeks later.

I watched that show and was HOOKED. It was amazing stuff and now I have to wait two months for the next episode. I understand they have to take a break, but there is no justification for nothing for that long. When taht time rolls around, I'm not going to care anymore. Heroes did this and it killed the audience and then NBC blamed the show and the writers for it, despite the show getting better. This is just dumb. You can't have a show then? Bullshit. You've had back to back shows on Thanksgiving. You haven't done a live show on free TV in like a year. This really isn't hard. it's called TAPE THE FREAKING SHOW. Yes, the ratings will suck, but someone somewhere will watch it or tape it or DVR it. Show a highlight show or something. It would be a mistake to have a big show on when few are going to see it, but it's a bigger mistake to waste TV time when you're so desperate to go to war with WWE since apparently you want your asses handed to you. This screams stupid and could easily be remedied, but it sadly won't be or there will be some stupid special on or something.

Reactions: NSL
Exactly. What makes it all worse, is that the show on New Year's Eve is a "Knockout Special", and will feature the best matches of the year. I understand that show being a highlight special, since no one will be watching that night, but it means that the January 4th show is the first show after Final Resolution featuring new stuff.

It also makes it blatantly clear that there is absolutely no reason to care about what happens for the rest of the year, and that you will miss absolutely nothing by just tuning out.

I'm not the smartest fan in the world, but I'm pretty sure there's a rule written somewhere that says you have to have a "go home" show, and a "fallout" show.

Yes it's definatly a bad idea.

The PPV will happen, and then nothing new will air until Jan 4th, which is all gonna be about the Hulkster.

Not only is there no follow up iMPACT, there's also only TWO WEEKS of build for Genesis, which takes place on January 17th.

I think you're over-reacting a bit here, NSL. This all depends on how clean the pay-offs are at Final Resolution. Matches like the Daniels/A.J. feud will carry their heat regardless of the fact there's going to be a multiple-week lapse in television promotions, IMO. The build was strong enough to sustain it, IMO.

Look at the card, man. Take it match-by-match.

IMO, all of the following feuds will continue without a hitch:

TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH
Daniels vs champion "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles

THREE DEGREES OF PAIN
Desmond Wolfe vs. Kurt Angle

LAST MAN STANDING MATCH
Bobby Lashley vs. Scott Steiner

Those are the four most important matches on the card, as it is. Outside of that, the remaining three have expiration dates that look like they're approaching rapidly (especially the ECW Old Guard v. TNA New Blood match), with a possible exception to the Feast or Fired, depending who they fire, and how. If it's someone like Rob Terry, the match will carry all it's power straight through to chanting "Goodbye, Now" on his way out at Big Rob. After that, it'll be forgotten, as it should be.

KNOCKOUTS TITLE MATCH
Tara vs. champion ODB

FEAST OR FIRED MATCH
One TNA Superstar will be fired from the company

8 MAN ELIMINATION
Team 3D, Rhino and Jesse Neal vs, Pope, Matt Morgan, Hernandez and Suicide

I'm not worried in the slightest with the backlash of many (or any) of these.

TNA is still not as much of a household name as we'd like it to be. This is going to hurt them in the long run. Especially since they're trying to garner the attention of more fans by bringing in the likes of Hulk Hogan and capitalizing on his notoriety. Now, for the next three weeks, when newer fans try to look for Hulk on TV, they'll only get replayed matches or even worse... nothing.

The biggest problem with pro-wrestling is that it can easily be forgotten. That's why they have no off-seasons. TNA is making a HUGE mistake by not televising Impact around Christmas time or New Years. I can't seem to grasp why Spike TV wouldn't even run one of their highest rated shows, even if they were able to run it on "special" nights like Tuesday or Wednesday. With their ongoing and upward struggle to catch up to a giant like the WWE, this move may be very risky.

I don't think that this is a particularly good move for TNA. Pro wrestling fans can be quite fickle. As of right now, TNA is trying to garner more attention and recognition by bringing Hulk Hogan onto their television program. They're hoping his name is going to bring in viewers and TNA needs to air all the original programming it can.

Regardless of how much some think how great TNA is and WWE sucks and all that, the rock hard truth is that TNA is not a household name and the WWE is. The WWE has a dynasty that stretches back to the early 50s and TNA is less than a decade old. One reason why the WWE keeps the schedule that it does is because people can move on quickly to other things. If you don't remain fresh in mind and in sight, you'd be surprised how quickly people just move on.

I think this is something of a reason why the WWE hasn't been displaying any sense of worry or anxiety going towards the showdown on January 4. The WWE has long been established, it's a household name and it airs 6 hours of regular programming each week. They know that millions of viewers are going to tune into watch Raw pretty much no matter what while TNA has no such guarantee.

I think this is almost a deliberate way for them to end the page of Pre-Hogan and turn the page to Hogan Era...think about it:

as state the main feuds: Styles/Daniels, Angel/Wolfe, Steiner/Lashley have had build for two months and can continue, everythign else is filler on the card anyway. Besides, I wouldn't be suprised if something happens at Final Resolution that sparks the new wave to take place January 4th. Some kind of cliffhanger, a "Bash at the Beach" Moment that makes you want to tune in to the next new IMPACT!. however in this case, it will be the live, January 4th, head-to-head with Raw, edition and if done properly, the conclusion of Final Resolution could, but more importantly SHOULD, make fans want to tune in to the next real edition of ImPAct!

This is a big mistake. I love watching TNA, but we have to face facts, They're not as big as WWE. With Jan 4 getting closer, they need to try and promote the hell out of Hogan's arrival. Especially with the speculation that Bret Hart or The Rock will be guest hosting on the big day. I don't think this will cripple TNA, but it might put a dent in the hype-party for Hogan.

They have nothing on Thursday? That seems pretty stupid. I'm sure there will be a decent amount of people who will be watching that show, or at least trying to. Seriously, they'll put their kids to be nice and early so Santa can come, and then that have the night to themselves. I'm sure they'd much rather watch wrasslin' than wrap gifts, the wife can do that.

Anyway, this isn't going to help much at all as I have forgotten some things about TNA after taking a week off, who knows what 3 weeks is going to do to the casual fan. However, the one positive for this is that it makes 1/4 and even bigger show, if that's possible. The fall out shows tend to be the most important where the most happens (PPV results, new challengers and feuds, etc.), so that could potentially help TNA in the ratings war.

I think it makes January 4th a bigger show, but at the same time it diminishes any work TNA and the superstars have put in this month. They are pretty much saying it doesn't matter what happens on Impact or the PPV, since everything will be going in a new direction on January 4th. It kinda defeats the purpose in starting anything new if everything is going to be scrapped next month.

I'm fine with TNA having a best of 2009 show on New Year's Eve, but they should have something for Christmas Eve. Two weeks is a long time to wait after a PPV to build anything. I think people who aren't hardcore wrestling fans, will forget to tune into Impact since it isn't airing next week. What do they have replacing it? A Star Wars Marathon.

I would think Spike TV could at least clear 2 hours next Thursday for one of their top rated shows. Maybe Star Wars is a bigger ratings grabber, who knows.

They won't have iMPACT!? A new iMPACT! until the big January 4th episode... The difference is 1 week. I really doubt it will do that much damage. I guess they wanna test the grounds on whether they can really hook the fans or not. I for one, don't mind. The fall-out of Final Resolution will probably leave me anxious and crazy for the Jan 4th edition. It seems they wanna see how loyal the fans can be. I doubt the damage will be severe.

I'm going against the masses and say this IS a good idea for TNA. Christmas eve and New years eve shows likely won't be watched by many due to the holidays, so why start new storylines just for people to tune in January 4th and be confused? Plus, it's a given that Hogan's arrival will likely bring huge changes to TNA's direction and booking. Any impacts that would air between final resolution and then would just be filler impacts (kinda like the planned wwe shows having no royal rumble direction until january 4th). It will add to the excitement in the air for TNA come January 4th. They are coming back after a short hiatus plus a live impact plus Hulk Hogan?? Yes, this will be nothing but good for TNA and should provide for a very energetic live show.

Exactly. What makes it all worse, is that the show on New Year's Eve is a "Knockout Special", and will feature the best matches of the year. I understand that show being a highlight special, since no one will be watching that night, but it means that the January 4th show is the first show after Final Resolution featuring new stuff.

It also makes it blatantly clear that there is absolutely no reason to care about what happens for the rest of the year, and that you will miss absolutely nothing by just tuning out.

I'm not the smartest fan in the world, but I'm pretty sure there's a rule written somewhere that says you have to have a "go home" show, and a "fallout" show.

Actually, the "Knockouts Special" is a 4 Hour Broadcast with a Best of 2009 show and an Episode of Impact afterwards.

Yeah, It is really really stupid not having a show after a PPV but this is what happens when you work with Spike TV.

But either way, It seems like this schedule change gives TNA enough time to get the Impact Zone a makeover that Bischoff and Hogan are putting together including the 4 Sided Ring.

I hope you guys know that it was Spiketv's decision to preempt the TNA show until New Year's Eve. TNA didn't just wake up and make the decision that they'll preempt the show. In addition, there has been talks that the Impact Zone will be renovated with an entire new look so it's not so bad. The more we anticipate the show, the more we'll want to tune in on January 4th. This can only help TNA. It's gonna build up hype. Plus TNA has really gone out of their way to promote this thing. TNA is finally advertising on WWE programming and all over so this will help.

Actually, the "Knockouts Special" is a 4 Hour Broadcast with a Best of 2009 show and an Episode of Impact afterwards.

Actually, no. It's a four hour special, showing the best matches of the year, blended in with Knockout matches. There is no new stuff airing, so it doesn't really add anything to what's going on.

This is what's so pointless about leaving 3 weeks until we get pay-per-view fallout. The KO matches won't be anything in storyline, and if there is anything worth watching, I'm sure we'll get a replay on January 4th.

But either way, It seems like this schedule change gives TNA enough time to get the Impact Zone a makeover that Bischoff and Hogan are putting together including the 4 Sided Ring.

I don't mind the Impact Zone getting updated, but I'd be pretty pissed if they ditch the ring...I won't go into it here, but there is a full thread on this subject...

I just feel that TNA is putting itself at even more of a disadvantage by going the next few weeks without airing Impact. The 4 hour special showing Knockout matches and the best TNA matches of the year doesn't really...well it doesn't really just interest me all that much to be quite honest as there's nothing that'll happen that's going to be relevant.

With the announcement of Bret Hart's signing, the WWE has gained some momentum that they could very well keep up and TNA is going to have nothing to offer in order to try and counter that momentum. I've spoken to several people that have told me that, since it's almost a sure thing that Bret Hart will be on Raw Jan 4, they've decided to watch Raw instead of Impact that night. And, the WWE still has a couple of weeks to put on some solid episodes of Raw. Shit, anything is going to be an improvement over last Monday. But, with the addition of Hart coupled with the next two Raws being strong, it could sway more people to watch Raw rather than Impact and wind up stealing momentum from TNA.

As for the renovations to the Impact Zone, it definitely needs something. Don't be surprised to see the six sided ring gone as Hogan has stated that he flat out hates the thing.

I think TNA have pulled some makor strings that would even shame up WWF vs WCW. Just think about it, TNA arnt even going outside Orlando for TNA vs WWE. I know that is careless because who the Fuck wants to see Hulk FREAKIN Hogan in the Impact Zone, especially going againt RAW which goes in arenas. This will definitly hurt them on this night, no one takes a wrestling company serious in a sound studio.

So that means they must of struck a deal with a shit load of people from WWE to come join TNA on that night which would really piss off Mcmahon. Lets just throw random names like Carlito, Matt Sydal, Swageer. Who wouldnt want to see these guys stick it to WWE like Christain did with his debut at Genesis 05, he also abused WWE on live T.V which isnt doing him any favours now because he is on ECW.

I think TNA has got it sorted so thats why they arnt giving a shit what happens between now and Jan 4th. Expect them to be gunsblazing.

So that means they must of struck a deal with a shit load of people from WWE to come join TNA on that night which would really piss off Mcmahon. Lets just throw random names like Carlito, Matt Sydal, Swageer. Who wouldnt want to see these guys stick it to WWE like Christain did with his debut at Genesis 05, he also abused WWE on live T.V which isnt doing him any favours now because he is on ECW.

Yeah, that's not going to happen at all. As far as I'm aware, all the guys that you just mentioned are currently under WWE contracts. TNA can't make deals with wrestlers that are under legal, contractual agreements and obligations to another wrestling promotion.

I think TNA has got it sorted so thats why they arnt giving a shit what happens between now and Jan 4th. Expect them to be gunsblazing.

Maybe they're not giving a shit because Dixie Carter isn't smart enough to give a shit. The WWE is going to have millions of people watching their show no matter what because they're a long established company, have had a long running television program on Monday nights for more than a decade and a half and have a much larger audience than TNA. TNA is simply relying and hoping that Hulk Hogan is going to be able to draw the viewers to get TNA to the next level. Basically, Dixie Carter is doing the same thing she's been doing, which is bring in a big name and hope that viewers come with him. Hogan has even said in an interview that Impact will draw a 3.0 on Jan 4th against Raw. That's simply not going to happen and if Dixie Carter believes that, then she's even more foolish than I thought. TNA needs to do EVERYTHING that it possibly can in this situation and not running Impact for the next two weeks is a real screw up.

I believe the lack of an Impact is to allow Hogan/Bischoff to renovate the Impact zone. As much as I hate to say this, I think the 6-sided ring is history. I hope they bring it back on special occasions, like the Hell in the cell cage.

I agree that not having an Impact on Thursday will kill any momentum gained from Final Resolution. However, I think the bigger mistake is airing a repeat of the live Jan. 4th live Impact on the following Thursday instead of a new episode of Impact, which I think also kills any momentum gained from TNA's first live Monday show.

I also think it's a mistake to expect any current WWE wrestlers (Evan Bourne) to appear in the Jan. 4th Impact as I expect WWE to invoke their 90-day no compete clause. Although, I don't know if that clause would still apply if they are released for budgetary reasons.

Actually, no. It's a four hour special, showing the best matches of the year, blended in with Knockout matches. There is no new stuff airing, so it doesn't really add anything to what's going on.

Damn, I didn't even know that. It is a big mistake to want to test out a Knockouts show. But remember, WWE used to that with Tribute To The Troops. Luckily, they wised up and moved it to a different network and different day. I'm sure TNA will try and find some way to advance the storylines after Final Resolution.

But, even if you personally may not have any reason to watch. It will still give some fans a look at PPV matches they skipped out on and Knockout matches which remains TNA's highest rated division.

I see the reason they are doing it but Spike TV fucked them over in the long run. What sense does it make to air Star Wars instead of the show you are trying to push? This is why Spike TV is a shit channel.

I don't have a problem with this. The show is called Final Resolution for a reason. All the current storylines will be finished. Nothing will be carried over. After that, we reset with Hogan.

The product is completely changing, so taking a couple of weeks off serves as a chance to have a rebirth of the show after the Holidays, when everyone will be watching.

I don't have a problem with this. The show is called Final Resolution for a reason. All the current storylines will be finished. Nothing will be carried over. After that, we reset with Hogan.

The product is completely changing, so taking a couple of weeks off serves as a chance to have a rebirth of the show after the Holidays, when everyone will be watching.

I was going to say, "bad move," but I read the above and changed my mind.

Not devoting another day of taping to a post-PPV Impact gives TNA sufficient time to plan out the live Jan. 4th extravaganza. The wrestlers will have time to rest, so that they can be at their finest and perform even better than they normally do for the live show.

Maybe they will also take some time to spiffy up the Impact Zone, as reportedly Hogan feels it beneath him to even walk out there.

I'm not seeing a problem here. WWE is going to run shows through the holidays that aren't going to be heavily viewed, so they'll be at a bit of a disadvantage going into January fourth as well.

TNA isn't going to need too much time to build towards Genesis in all probability. Angle-AJ is all but confirmed and has been building since September. There's not much more they can do to get the match over. Daniels-Wolfe should have the TNA fanbase chomping at the bit and is an easy plug-in. So your top two matches are no brainers that won't lose too much from not being plugged on Christmas and New Years Eves.

If tonight's pay-per-view sucked, I'd have said that taking 2 weeks off would be smart. But, this show was awesome, and now we have to try and keep it going for 2 weeks to stay interested in January 4th. For those of us who don't like Hogan arriving, we really could have used a good show or two to give us some good matches, great promos, and develop some storylines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back