Night of Champions 2012: Antonio Cesaro (c) VS Pre-show Battle Royal Winner

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
20120910_EP_LIGHT_NOC_preshow_battleroyal_C1.jpg

Antonio Cesaro will defend his United States Championship at Night of Champions against the winner of a No. 1 Contender Battle Royal to be held during the Pre-Show event Sunday. The free, Pre-Show will stream live on WWE.com, YouTube.com/WWE and Facebook starting at 7:30 p.m. ET/4:30 p.m. PT.

Cesaro, who won the championship gold from Santino Marella during the SummerSlam Pre-Show, says he personifies prestige, and his record since winning his first title in WWE backs up his claim. Yet, the multilingual, Swiss-born Superstars may need more than confidence and Aksana by his side if he hopes to extend his U.S. Title reign past the one-month mark.

On the surface, it appears that the champion, Cesaro, will head into action at a disadvantage. The extra-rugged ex-rugby player will not know who his opponent until moments before Night of Champions takes air. Is there any type of training that can prepare Cesaro for the unknown?

The challenger, however, will not exactly have a clear path to the title match. To win the coveted No. 1 contender spot, the Superstar must first prevail in a every-man-for-himself Battle Royal in which bodies will be flying all over the place. Will the fight to become the No. 1 contender wear out the challenger, making his easy pickings for a fresh Cesaro?

Moreover, the WWE Universe is left to wonder who will fill out the field of the Pre-Show Battle Royal. No names have yet been announced, meaning the opposition could range from a former U.S. Champion to a hungry up-and-comer gunning for his first title. In how many languages does Cesaro know how to say “surprise”?

Catch all the action of Night of Champions, including the all-important Pre-Show at 7:30 p.m./4:30 p.m. PT to see which Superstar will have the opportunity of a lifetime.

This is... unique. We don't even know who Cesaro's opponent is going to be and have to find out by watching the YouTube show. And even if we don't watch it, we'll still find out when the PPV broadcast begins.

I have a really strange feeling that Brodus Clay will come out with a win here. WWE is always wanting to put him on television and I think Cameron's suspension should be lifted by then. Cesaro will get the win and this match will be a waste of time.

Discuss here.

I have a really strange feeling that Brodus Clay will come out with a win here. WWE is always wanting to put him on television and I think Cameron's suspension should be lifted by then. Cesaro will get the win and this match will be a waste of time.
Discuss here.

I like your choice of Brodus Clay. It makes a lot of sense. Especially since someone between the two has to get a reaction, and Cesaro doesn't. Another choice that makes sense is Zack Ryder, except he's apparently beginning a feud with Heath Slater so likely they'll take out each other in the match. Didn't Cesaro beat Clay on Smackdown a week or so ago? Either way, it has to be someone who can lose (because it's going to happen) and not be a big deal.

Perhaps maybe a dark horse of someone like Tyson Kidd or Justin Gabriel.

Meh. Don't really care much for this match which is a shame because I really want to enjoy Cesaro's matches but I just can't get into them. Granted, this isn't any fault of Cesaro's. He just hasn't been in a feud that I can get invested into. Nonetheless, I'm betting Cesaro wins this match. If reports are true, then I don't see him dropping the US title belt at least until after Christian makes his comeback and these two feud with one another.

I wanted to say the repackaged Jack Swagger. However, it would be too premature and his return wouldn't be utilised correctly for a simple Youtube Battle Royal.

My guess would be Zack Ryder. I'm not particularly fussed on this match however, as I see no viable face alternatives that can compete for the title. Maybe Sin Cara? But I can see a pretty routine title defense so someone like Ryder or Tyson Kidd.

Maybe its time for an Evan Bourn return? I think that would provide for a nice surprise. Bourn may have cleaned, and healed, up and could be ready to go.

That may not happen, and It will probably Santino, Ryder, or Clay. Three faces who can mesh well with Cesero. I am not saying I want it to be any of these guys, but it most likely will. Santino vs. Cesaro has been done to many times. That hasn't stopped WWE before. Clay or Ryder could be nice. Both of them are fairly over with the crowd.

My hopes aren't to high for this match.

As long as this isn't Santino I'll be happy. I know that the kids love him and that he probably makes good merchandise money, but man alive having Cesaro beat him up is played already.

As for a winner, my guess would be someone like Kidd, who will get a good match from Cesaro but that can lose and give Cesaro a somewhat credible win. I doubt a bigger name will win it as you don't want to have either guy lose and you don't want to change the title yet.

Brodus could be a decent choice. Unless it's another dance routine (i.e. Wrestlemania 28), there's no place for him on the televised pay per view card, and Brodus should get a nice reaction from the live crowd.

Whoever the challenger might be, I fully expect Cesaro to retain. I don't see a real reason to take the title off of him just yet, because he's still in the very early stages of his reign as US Champ.

Probably Zach Ryder, but I would love to see Cesaro vs Sandow But possibility for that is small to none because they are both heels.

I predict that Cesaro retain in any case. Though they could suprise us with Barett or someone like that but I highly doubt. It will be little more than a squash match and thats it.

Would love to see a guy like Tyson Kidd win this or even Sandow, but I agree with an above poster that said it would probably be Brodus Clay. Either way Cesaro gets the win here, and I hope he keeps defending the belt on PPV. Given this is night of champions its not a good bench mark to know if the belt will be regularly defended.

Well, we can assume the winner will be a face. I wouldnt be against Tyson Kidd. He's a semi-regular on Raw now so at least he gets recognition from the fans. He's great working against bigger guys (well, because 98% of the roster is bigger then him). And every time you see him he pulls off at least a couple moves that get a nice pop. But I do agree with HBsam, I hope Cesaro keeps the strap in the end. He has potential, he just needs more time to get over.

I'm gonna go with the rumors that either we get to see Sin Cara challenge Antonio Cesaro for his United States Championship or see Part III with Santino Marella. If there's anything that the WWE "doesn't fail to disappoint", it's illogical booking.

They could always throw in Cara to Cesaro for no apparent reason, but I could see Cara getting a shot at winning as well, since Cesaro has been lackluster as US Champ. Besides, they ARE pushing Cara too, right?

They could also have Cesaro feud with Santino yet again, since both of them have nothing going on right now, but it wouldn't be wise to give the strap back to Santino - and I'm a Cesaro Hater. Personally, Cesaro as champ isn't any better than Santino during his reign.

Either way, like IHW, I mean Bus Wanker ;), my hopes aren't high on this match either.

Am I the only one that wants to see Zack Ryder win the battle royal and face Cesaro for the US Title? Previous posters have said they need somebody in this match to get it somewhat hyped up since Cesaro can't seem to get a reaction. We don't want Santino again, and we need a face. Why not Ryder for a one shot match? Getting Ryder back in the title picture if even for a moment would be great to see at NOC.

I'd love to see Riley get a chance again, he's been getting decent pops on Superstars and is improving.

But in reality, we could see the return of DiBiase to start a little feud with Cesaro before Christian returns.

The U.S. Title ranks as the 4th most prestigious singles title currently, and for that reason we aren't going to see a huge name knock off Cesaro in epic fashion. Just wouldn't make any sense considering Cesaro just won the belt and is actually appearing on TV regularly now.

This opens the door for a list of faces around the U.S. Title portion of the card: DiBiase, Brodus Clay, Ryder, Riley, Kidd, Santino.

By WWE logic of constantly giving us the same match (ex. Del Rio and Sheamus), then Santino should face Cesaro and lose.

This is... unique. We don't even know who Cesaro's opponent is going to be and have to find out by watching the YouTube show. And even if we don't watch it, we'll still find out when the PPV broadcast begins.

Discuss here.

erhh no. This has happened before, I'm surprised no one here mentioned yet how Christian won his Intercontinental belt. He was a surprise entrant at the battle royal and he later choose on who to face, whether it is the IC Champ or the US Champ.

So I'm picking Christian to win the battle royal again to face Cesaro.

I would like to see Ryback win the Battle Royal. Then demolish the 'ROH IWC darling' for the belt!

I always enjoy seeing big men beat those who have 'paid their dues'.

I would be extremely surprised if Damien Sandow won the Battle Royal. Then again, a heel v heel match for a title no one cares about would kill the momentum of the crowd(if they have any that is.). I would also be surprised if an RR 94 was pulled off(luger hart co winner reference) and the match was a triple threat.

I was going to say Sin Cara, but he's been included in the Fatal 4 Way match for the IC title. The only logical choice that's left is Zack Ryder. He'll get a reaction, and if he wins he can get into a feud with Cesaro that can run for another PPV. Brodus as a champion doesn't work for me. The United States Champion should be theoretically be a patriotic guy or a non american heel. not a funkasaurus. That just doesn't make sense, even kayfabe wise.

erhh no. This has happened before, I'm surprised no one here mentioned yet how Christian won his Intercontinental belt. He was a surprise entrant at the battle royal and he later choose on who to face, whether it is the IC Champ or the US Champ.

So I'm picking Christian to win the battle royal again to face Cesaro.

Oh, I see. So because it happened once before, it's now par for the course?

Fact of the matter is that this is a strange occurrence. Midcard titles are slowly becoming a joke again. Matter of fact, the tag team titles and feuds are quickly becoming more important than the US-eless title. This type of booking is just another way of WWE throwing matches together to give their roster PPV payouts.

The return of DiBiase would be favourite for me, it would be a nice "surprise" while guaranteeing a pretty decent match. They can play off how both are "cultured, privileged" guys but DiBiase is more "uncouth" by hanging out with the fans etc.

2nd choice would be a face Swagger, but as someone else said, I think it's a little too soon and even then, the point is to get him away from the "All-American" stuff.

The out of leftfield stuff, Dean Ambrose is still to debut and a big title win off the bat, even heel v heel might set him off well. Seth Rollins is another big possibility.

Just hope it isn't Ryback... that would suck royally, he isn't ready and why should he have a title just cos he "wants to be fed one?".

Cesaro hasn't interested me in the slightest and I don't see it changing anytime soon. As to who will win the battle royal, I can see Swagger winning if they are planning to turn him face. Although, I would have had Swagger leaving a lot earlier so it would have more impact when he does return. If it isn't going to be Swagger, my darkhorse pick will be Big Show. He hasn't been heard from in a while. It just feels right.

If Cesaro wins, the battle royale winner should be a face that the WWE has no interest in investing in but can make Cesaro look good as a champion.

Choices: Zack Ryder, Tyson Kidd, William Regal, Justin Gabriel, Santino

I like the idea of Ted Dibiase returning but if they're going to push him, they should push him. Losing a battle royal means nothing but losing a singles match on his night back make him look lame.

I don't think Cesaro would lose, but if he did, it might as well be to someone who may actually give a shit about being U.S. champion. Zack Ryder and Ted Dibiase would come to mind. Who knows, this "streak" Ryder has might be building to a title win.

I'm gonna take a long shot here and throw in Derrick Bateman's name since he's being repackaged as The USA Guy. It could be a good debut for his new gimmick if he were to come in and win the Battle Royal then face Cesaro for the US Title later on. I don't think Bateman should win the title but I don't think he should lose either, so I'd have Bateman win the match by Countout or DQ, that way Cesaro retains the title, and this leads to a month long feud between the two over the belt, giving Cesaro his first proper feud in his title reign, and it gives Bateman a push even though he wouldn't win the belt in the end cause Christian is likely to feud with Cesaro for the title when he comes back, but Bateman would still come out of this looking good. But like I said, it's a long shot cause I think the WWE will want to build this USA Guy gimmick a little more since there's only been 3 videos created on his YT account so far.

I'd say the most likely candidates to win are Brodus Clay, Zack Ryder, Santino Marella, Tyson Kidd and maybe, just maybe, Christian if they happen to bring him back.

The last I heard, the WWE was planning to keep Christian off television until after Bound for Glory, where Christian will appear as part of a pre-arranged deal with WWE to officially induct Sting as the inaugural member of the TNA Hall of Fame. Upon returning, according to he reports, he's supposed to feud with Cesaro for the title. If the WWE is still going with this idea, it means that Christian won't be a participant in the battle royal and that Cesaro will retain.

Given all the stuff with the Cobra being smitten with Aksana, I could see Santino winning this and getting one final shot at the title. I think it'll be a waste, however, as we've already seen Cesaro defeat Santino decisively all four times they've wrestled one another.

I think Brodus Clay would be a good opponent in the sense that he's a popular mid-card guy right now and he has a good win-loss record. As far as I'm aware, Clay has only lost two matches since debuting with his Funkasaurus character, one to Big Show and one to Damien Sandow several weeks back on Raw.

Zack Ryder, while not nearly as popular as he was early this year, is still pretty popular and is a personality filled babyface. If given some time, these two could have a pretty good match.

The best case scenario, for me at least: is Kassius Ohno AKA Chris Hero making his debut at NOC in the battle royal and winning with a dominant performance. Kassius and Cesaro put on a great match bringing prestige back to the US title, Cesaro gets the win. Leading to a feud, then a tag team similar to how Miz and Morrison got their start, (MVP attacked Matt Hardy costing them the belts) leading to a rejuvenated tag division and US title division.

Realistic Scenario: Ryback Dominates everyone, and wins the US title.

Worst case scenario: Brodus Clay and Santino become co holders of the belt through some terrible overbooking scenario.

According to a report on prowrestling.net, Lex Luger will induct Sting into the TNA HOF instead of Christian at the Bound for Glory ppv.

If this is legit, then maybe it means TNA has let Christian out of his deal and won't be appearing on the show. A while back, I read a report stating that WWE was keeping Christian off television until after his BFG appearance was done and then he'd enter into a feud with Antonio Cesaro over the US title.

If this means Christian won't be at BFG, then WWE might go ahead and place him in this battle royal Sunday and move up his scheduled feud with Cesaro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back