New MLB Security measures - Good or bad?

TheICChampion

The hardcore casual fan
So, this year Major League Baseball has decided to increase security measures in all its teams' ballparks. Basically, what they want to do is add metal detectors in every ballpark. Now, for me, as someone who works in the security industry, I can definitely see where they're coming from. On the other side of that coin, I have to wonder why they're doing this now as opposed to before, or even at all, as I can't recall any times where someone has brought any weapons and used them to harm anyone else. Obviously if it had happened it would be big news. Now, I know the old adage: "An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure" but I ask you baseball fans out there if you agree with this particular measure. Why or why not? Is it really going to make you feel any safer or just inconvenience you? As far as I know, I think they're still going to do patdowns and obviously if you have bags they'll still check them. I personally don't mind this extra layer of security, but that's just my take. What's yours?

It's still very mild compared to what the NFL does in their stadiums. Whenever I go to an NFL game it's like I'm getting on an airplane almost. But I've gone to baseball games where they didn't even pat me down or anything, I handed them my ticket and walked in...that's a little crazy.

And your whole "No one's brought any weapons before so why should we start cracking down on it?" is why 9/11 happened. I would much rather spend the extra 30 seconds going through the metal detector, than have some nutjob stab me after a game because he's drunk off of his mind and his team just lost and I'm wearing the opposing team's jersey. That shit happens, and it will happen.

I'm willing to give up the extra minute or so to further ensure my safety at the ballpark. It's not a problem to me. I honestly wish they had metal detectors when I was in High School...I don't know I was always a little paranoid of school shootings, seeing them on the news every couple of years. When I graduated I felt happy I got out of there without getting shot by some nutjub...and I went to a pretty nice suburban school.

Even with the NSA Privacy scandal that's been going on the last couple of years, I am on the NSA's side. They've probably stopped a dozen terrorist attacks in the last week, probably more than that, by using the information they have access to. I would rather give up a little bit of my rights to ensure my safety and protection. That's the big question people have to ask themselves though, is if they'd rather have rights or if they'd rather have security? I'd rather have security myself.

I didn't mean that it's pointless to start adding security because there's never been an incident in the past. I'm saying that with all this time between 9/11 and now, and what with some other terrorist incidents in the past, I wonder why they're only doing this now and not prior to this year. I said I'm for it, I have no problems whatsoever. I just think it's kind of weird. The last big terrorist incident I can recall was the Boston Marathon bombing. I don't know whether that lit a fire under their butts or not but if it did we should've seen this happening last year at the very least. We're just really lucky nothing huge like 9/11 has happened at baseball stadiums in the 14-year interval.

Yeah I see your point, I guess it's better late than never? To be fair the Boston Marathon Bombings happened almost three years ago (In four days) so we're not too far away. It probably takes some times for stuff like this to get proposed and passed through, especially if you note that we just transitioned into to a new commissioner.

Bud Selig has been commissioner since 1998 until now, and he's down some great things I think he was great, but maybe these security changes never made it on his list. I can see how with a fresh face like Rob Manfred now in control, he has different ideas and different things he wants to do.

That's the best explanation I can think of for why the change out of nowhere. I'm sure we're going to be seeing a lot of things like that. It's like after we change faces at President. The new guy in charge has all these ideas he wants to get out there, and now that he's in charge it's time to put them in action. I think Bud Selig was a fantastic commissioner, he's done so many great things during his time. I hope Manfred can live up to what Selig has done with his time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back