New Japan Cup 2014 - Don't miss this train...

Hard Hit Prince

Not really working as a
Every year since 2005, the New Japan Pro Wrestling promotion gives us one of the most prestigious tournaments in the company in around March/April (later editions). There has been 5 winners in the nine year history, big names in Hiroki Goto (3x), Hiroshi Tanahashi (2x), Yuji Nagata (2x), Giant Bernard (1x) and Okada (1x).

The winner this year of the New Japan Cup will be able to choose between a match for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship against Okada, or a shot at the IWGP Intercontinental Championship against Tanahashi. Some of the favorites are Shibata, Nakamura, Naito and Hiroki Goto. I'll be watching it and reviewing it on the fly.

Tonight is the first day with only matches from Round 1. I'm really interested in some of them like Ishii v. Naito (rematch from last month New Beginning), others such as Anderson v. Shibata and Davey Boy Jr. v. Nakamura.

Every year since 2005, the New Japan Pro Wrestling promotion gives us one of the most prestigious tournaments in the company in around March/April (later editions). There has been 5 winners in the nine year history, big names in Hiroki Goto (3x), Hiroshi Tanahashi (2x), Yuji Nagata (2x), Giant Bernard (1x) and Okada (1x).

The winner this year of the New Japan Cup will be able to choose between a match for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship against Okada, or a shot at the IWGP Intercontinental Championship against Tanahashi. Some of the favorites are Shibata, Nakamura, Naito and Hiroki Goto. I'll be watching it and reviewing it on the fly.

Tonight is the first day with only matches from Round 1. I'm really interested in some of them like Ishii v. Naito (rematch from last month New Beginning), others such as Anderson v. Shibata and Davey Boy Jr. v. Nakamura.

Oh, how the mighty has fallen...

The first match was between Shelton Benjamin and Yujiro Takahashi. The crowd isn't really hot for neither guys, however Takahashi's antics are very over with the ladies - and for those wondering, Takahashi is probably the Japanese Val Venis. This match had something like ten minutes, give or take it and it was a regular match that looked sloppy at some points. The big spots here were Shelton's Superkick and a Deadlift Powerbomb from Shelton too. Shelton advances to the semi-finals after a Pay Dirt in the middle of the ring. This could have gone either way as both man haven't done anything worthy of notice in the last few months. Shelton looks great. This is a true combination of probably great genes and hard work.

Minoru Suzuki v. Toru Yano - 1st Round
Suzuki was the favorite here from the start and he ended up winning it. The match was okay at best, nothing particularly good here - I mean Yano's personality is fun and the crowd loves him and Suzuki is that menacing, bad looking and hard hitting heel. The finish was sloppy and this match had some interference from fellow member of Suzukigun (a heel stable). After the match Suzuki destroyed Yano with the steel chair. Oh yeah, Suzuki's theme song could be a Naruto opening theme or whatever, the crowd was singing it at some point...

Karl Anderson v. Shibata - 1st Round
Anderson is a gaijin from the Bullet Club stable and Shibata is one of the favorites to win the tournament, mostly because of his trade of words with World Champ Okada at New Beginning. Also Anderson is one half of the IWGP Tag Team Champions with Doc Gallows and there are plans for Shibata and Goto to form a tag team and go after them. This promises to be a good hard hitting match. In two minutes I'm already cringing here, man those guys are killing one an another with the stiffest uppercuts and a bad ass looking dropkick in the face of Shibata... Five minutes into it and Shibata starts making his first comeback with the crowd going wild for his first kick in the face of Tama Tonga (Anderson's sidekick here) and a corner to corner dropkick in the face of Anderson, but he's quickly put down by a Fisherman Suplex from Anderson. Anderson goes for a Sitdown Powerbomb and The Big Ending (I don't know any other name), but Shibata doesn't go down and the crowd loves it. Shibata makes his comeback with a bad looking German Suplex, a Soccer Kick and a bunch of other kicks and ends it all with the Black Widow submission. This was a nine minute match but it was the best so far. Shibata will face Shelton Benjamin in the quarter finals and that will be a kick fest that I can't wait to watch! Good match here that delivered at least for me.

Hiroki Goto v. Doc Gallows - 1st Round
This is what I told you in the last match - once again you have one of the tag team champions and Shibata's best friend in Hiroki Goto. The favorite here is Goto and this could also be a way to develop a story between the tag champs and Shibata/Goto. This should be a good outlet to see what Gallows brings to the table in single's competition and he has a kick ass dance partner in Goto. This was a fine match with an easy story - Gallows was the most powerful and stronger and Goto had to defeat the beast and it happened, but Gallows looked good here with some fine looking big boots and lariats. We already have our second match for the Quarter Finals with Goto v. Suzuki.

Special Six Man Tag Match
Tanahashi/Desperado/Ibushi v. Okada/Gedo/Jado

Ibushi and Okada had a really good match in the 42nd Anniversary show, Tanahashi and Okada are old rivals. Desperado is making his baby steps in the promotion, Gedo and Jado are the bookers and CHAOS members with Okada. Desperado and Ibushi are starting a friendship and a team to go after the IWGP Jr. Tag Titles. The crowd is going nuts already with the two biggest japanese stars. The match was a good one with the crowd going on the heel side as Gedo and Jado are a fun duo and Okada is just cool. Ibushi looked great here again and we had a Tanahashi and Okada trade of blows five minutes into the bout. The finish looked good with Tanahashi and Ibushi launching themselves outside of the ring and with Desperado being left alone with Gedo to put him out with Guitarra de Angel.

Lance Archer v. Prince Devitt - 1st Round
Archer makes his way to the ring and is distracted by Tama Tonga and that creates an opening for the leader of the Bullet Club to assault Archer with a steel chair. This has been an on-going feud between K.E.S and Bullet Club but this was over and this is just showing that they remember I guess. Devitt won the match with the Bloody Sunday after a diving double foot stomp. Good match here. Archer annoys me with his constant screams and I don't think he should run, ever... Devitt winning here made sense. Also I don't know if this is going to be played in the storyline but Archer launched Devitt against Nagata (that was in the commentaries), I don't know. Maybe something for NOAH or whatever. Archer is somehow over with the japanese.

Togi Makabe v. Bad Luck Fale - 1st Round
This is a long rivalry now - Makabe was feuding with Devitt, but Fale (in the Bullet Club too) costed him is match in the G1 Climax against Devitt. Later he also costed him and his partner a match in the World Tag League and the two faced at Wrestle Kingdom where Makabe was victorious so I'm expecting for Fale to get his win back in here. Makabe doesn't even wait and they go at it with elbows back and forth. This had nearly ten minutes (as most matches so far) and at least half of it was punches and elbows and lariats. They probably bumped twice each in the first six minutes of the match. It picked up later with a good brawl turning into a good outlet for both man to show their power skills. Fale won the match after a Crucifix Powerbomb that looked really nice. Once again, a good match and a big win for Fale no doubt.

Naito v. Ishii - 1st Round
This is a bad ass rematch from an early candidate for match of the year at last month's New Beginning where Ishii defeated Naito for the NEVER Openweight Championship. In less than six months Ishii went from being a lowcard guy to being one of the most over guys in the roster, mostly because he's so talented that was nearly a crime to maintain him in such a role - (he had a five star match with Shibata at G1 too). So let's go at it - I predicted Naito to get the win back here. Man this was great stuff, those guys have such an incredible chemistry and the company believes in them. they had the longest match so far and the best match of the night too as I don't believe nobody is going to top that tonight. The crowd was really into it with Naito/Ishii chants dominating the match. Both man wanted to prove each other who the tougher was and we had very good and stiff looking moves for each. Naito won with the Stardust Press (Corcksrew Moonsault) and he's going to face Fale in the semi-finals. I want to see a third match between those two...

Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Shinshuke Nakamura
Nakamura is in a bad moment after losing the IWGP Intercontinental Championship for Tanahashi in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom and failing to recapture it at New Beginning. Nakamura's status is confusing - he's a CHAOS member, but everything he has been doing is in a babyface role and the crowd loves him. I fully expect him to be the one to take the IWGP World Hvt Championship from Okada when the opportunity is presented to him - he's also the favorite here, even though I don't believe he's winning the cup, but hey, it can happen. Davey Boy looks really out of shape in here and at the end of the match he looked tired as fuck. The match was okay, but they didn't really click here. Davey Boy dominated pretty much the entire match and wrestled at a slow pace and after a great Naito/Ishii this one was going to get hurt if they wrestled slower and it did. Somehow Nakamura made his comeback, hit the knee and won the match. Really disappointed with Davey Boy here, he looks out of shape, stale and boring as a whole - he needs to put his shit together.

Overall: It was a good show, with two great matches, a receptive crowd and very nice results for the Quarter Finals. So the card for March 22nd looks like that:

- Bad Luck Fale v. Naito
- Shibata v. Shelton Benjamin

- Hiroki Goto v. Minoru Suzuki
- Shinsuke Nakamura v. Prince Devitt

The last three matches can steal the show no doubt. Also expect some matches with Tanahashi, Okada, Desperado, Ibushi and the guys that were eliminated to fill up the three hour show. I'm expecting a Ibushi/Desperado v. Gedo/Jado somehow in the card, but I don't know. Hope you enjoyed the review, if you've watched the show or one or two matches tell me.

I know absolutely nothing about New Japan and All Japan but I'm hopeful for Shelton Benjamin.

New Japan is THE Japanese company. All Japan is in a bad place right now, but they have a lengthy history. If you want to start to know the regulars in New Japan I recommend you this shows, because it's pretty much 10 to 15 minute matches at best where the guys have some time to show their skills.

This will all crop up on youtube soon, as usual yes? How bout tossing down a start rating at the end of each match??
I believe so. The show is three hour long, but for instance the first match only started 40 minutes into the show, they had an half hour intermission and it was all over in I'll say two hours of wrestling.

The reason I didn't give ratings was mostly because it was ten minute matches most of them. It is also really tough to grade this matches when compared to the american style of wrestling, but I'll say that the best match was Naito v. Ishii and it was a 4star one or at least very close to it.

Agree with much of what you said, Silverback, Ishii v Naito was MOTN. It was the first round so I don't expect any five star matches. Surprised Fale went over Makabe for sure. Anderson v Shibata threatened to get really good but then died back down again.

I think Shibata will pull through his half of the draw. Shibata v Goto as a final makes a lot of sense to me, too, with Shibata going over and sort of ruining their brief friendship and costing them the tag title match they've earned, perhaps? It makes storyline sense and they did tease that whole Shibata-Okada thing and apparently the domestic crowd want that to happen.

The thing that annoys me about DBS Jr is his constant taunting and heckling after every single move. He really lacks intensity, so strange considering his relations.

I don't think that they should kill the Goto/Shibata's partnership so early. Those two feuded for a better part of a year in 2013 and they've both gained the respect from the domestic audiences, so making them face the other and "cost the friendship" shouldn't be on the table - however the final between the two ending up with respect and a "I'll get your back in that match" would make good television. Unless they want to pull the trigger now for the Okada v. Nakamura (too soon for me) I don't see anybody else winning the Cup. Naito could pull it off and go after his idol in Tanahashi, but he can go after him without the cup too as everything makes sense in that regard.

Meltzer said that the company really likes Fale, so going over Makabe was expected. Still a great win no doubt. Thanks for replying here Gibby!! ;)

I can't see Nakamura making the final for the reason you stated above (too soon for Okada v Nakamura) and also way too soon for another go around on Nakamura v Tanahashi, should Nakamura make the final and lose. I guess if Goto and Shibata both make the finals they can fight with freedom, knowing both has bagged a big title shot, and as you say they can have each other's backs.

I suppose Devitt's contractual limbo makes him an outside bet for the NJC but his appearance in the final, against Shibata, would mean TWO good fresh title matches to look forward to somewhere down the line.

I can't see Nakamura making the final for the reason you stated above (too soon for Okada v Nakamura) and also way too soon for another go around on Nakamura v Tanahashi, should Nakamura make the final and lose. I guess if Goto and Shibata both make the finals they can fight with freedom, knowing both has bagged a big title shot, and as you say they can have each other's backs.

I suppose Devitt's contractual limbo makes him an outside bet for the NJC but his appearance in the final, against Shibata, would mean TWO good fresh title matches to look forward to somewhere down the line.

Only the winner gets a title shot not the loser. The winner gets to chose weather he wants a shot at the IC or the World title. Yeah, I'm forgetting about Devitt way too much. He could pull it off and go to the semi-finals or finals. Devitt v. Goto would be great in the semi finals.

I read somewhere that the losing finalist gets a shot at the other belt, whichever one the winner doesn't pick. I might have read it wrong or it could be speculation. It would be pretty good and you could sell the final loss as down to fatigue or something. They also need to create a way for people to earn shots at those secondary belts.

I read somewhere that the losing finalist gets a shot at the other belt, whichever one the winner doesn't pick. I might have read it wrong or it could be speculation. It would be pretty good and you could sell the final loss as down to fatigue or something. They also need to create a way for people to earn shots at those secondary belts.

I was listening to last night's Observer Radio and Meltzer believes that Suzuki is going to face Shibata in the finals. I haven't read anywhere that the loser of the finals gets an IC match, but it looks like he believes that too, so making Suzuki v. Tanahashi in a rematch from their 2012 fantastic match. He's also not that high on Shibata v. Shelton, I mean I understand him, I can't really see Shelton working well with a stiffer like Shibata but if he turns it up and just say "fuck it", both guys could tear the house down.

Lance Archer v. Prince Devitt - 1st Round
Archer makes his way to the ring and is distracted by Tama Tonga and that creates an opening for the leader of the Bullet Club to assault Archer with a steel chair. This has been an on-going feud between K.E.S and Bullet Club but this was over and this is just showing that they remember I guess. Devitt won the match with the Bloody Sunday after a diving double foot stomp. Good match here. Archer annoys me with his constant screams and I don't think he should run, ever... Devitt winning here made sense. Also I don't know if this is going to be played in the storyline but Archer launched Devitt against Nagata (that was in the commentaries), I don't know. Maybe something for NOAH or whatever. Archer is somehow over with the japanese.

I love me some Devitt

Is Alex Shelley doing anything in this

I love me some Devitt

Is Alex Shelley doing anything in this

Devitt is great, so great taste! Shelley isn't doing nothing in this one and I'm assuming he'll be only used in the openers for the next few months since he has done pretty much everything he could in his current tag team

Devitt is great, so great taste! Shelley isn't doing nothing in this one and I'm assuming he'll be only used in the openers for the next few months since he has done pretty much everything he could in his current tag team

He's won the tag belts a few times hasn't he. Do you reckon he'd make a good IWGP Junior Champion? I remember he and Devitt were in the finals of the Best Of The Super Juniors and he was getting some pretty good reactions

He's won the tag belts a few times hasn't he. Do you reckon he'd make a good IWGP Junior Champion? I remember he and Devitt were in the finals of the Best Of The Super Juniors and he was getting some pretty good reactions

You also need to have in mind that Shelley was put in that spot mainly because Taguchi was injured. Shelly is a two time IWGP Jr. Tag Team Champion, one with Sabin of course and the other one as a part of Time Splitters with KUSHIDA. He also won Super Jr. Tag Tournament in 2012 with KUSHIDA. However the junior division needs more wrestlers for him to be able to do anything relevant. He dominated the scene in 2012/2013 and now they are just in a position where people have seen them do the same stuff far too many times.

As of this moment Ibushi is feuding with the Young Bucks, and he's going to defend his Jr. Championship against Nick Jackson and challenge for the tag team straps with El Desperado. Shelley just doesn't fit in here and Ibushi is going to hold the title for sometime I reckon. Maybe if he turns heel and joins Devitt in the Bullet Club or whatever, but I don't know... That could be a long shot. Sad though as Shelley is a great worker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back