New commentators wanted.

Jstrike

Pre-Show Stalwart
is it just me or is jerry the king lawler michael cole and jbl boring and stale on commentary. i cant get excited cause thier not excited, jbl is the worst one without a doubt, jerry the king lawler hadnt been the same since 3 hours of raw its like he's exhausted and dont know whats going on, and michael cole has become boring. now i like a ry and josh matthews their fresh they actually call the matches and do a good job at it, so my question is do you want new commentators or am i the only one who wants new guys. and who would do a good job at commentary?

Personally, I don't mind Cole and JBL is fun to listen to but Lawler really needs to be replaced. He's just grown so stale and boring and like you said often sounds confused and tired.

I agree, the bantering with Cole, Lawler & JBL doesn't work and I believe that's due to having 3 at the table, two are face and JBL is a tweener...he says heelish things but isn't always a heel.

Cole and Lawler are brutally boring. It's a shame going back and hearing how excited they were on commentary during matches, and now all we hear is lackluster excitement at certain moves. Cole is by far the most annoying of the commentary team, and the team doesn't carry matches on, rather the bantering and re-telling what happened is getting old. How many times did they mention the WWE app and recap what already happened.

Fresh faces could work on RAW, and I think Tom Philips from NXT and Paul Heyman/William Regal/A-Ry would be interesting. JBL and Matt Striker would've been cool, if Striker was still in WWE. Striker could actually banter back, rather than just ignoring like Josh Matthews & Cole.

Don't know what others think, but I'd rather see Cole as a heel manager or GM, Jerry would be a great manager cause he can talk well...but commentary for me needs to change big time.

No im happy with them 3 i like their personal banter it makes the show more lively imo, im not a fan of jbl he talks constant crap and is a bit boring, but i think cole and lawler are very good at what they do.

I like JBL, some of the stuff he comes out with is funny, but maybe just keep him on Smackdown, I prefer the idea of just 2 commentators for each show, it makes them different, Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler should remain commentators of Raw while JBL and Josh Matthews (or someone better) as Smackdown commentators

I agree, WWE needs a new commentary team. During the Punk/Axel/Heyman beatdown, they sat silent. Am I crazy or sometimes are they just mumbling into the microphone and then a big move happens and Cole yells? Is that just me? They sound bored.

Outside the box thinking, why not drag Joey Styles out of retirement since he's on the WWE payroll? He's always a fan favorite and brings excitement to the match. As for the second man in the booth? He's excellent on "Main Event" in my opinion, but The Miz. Can you believe Miz was once the WWE champion? Geesh, me either, but he's good as a commentator. I think this would be a drastic makeover for the WWE and in my opinion, a welcome one.

I like JBL, Cole is ok too. I'm just glad they got rid of Booker T (THATS MY BIG HOMIE!!!). Jim Ross isn't as fun as he used to be, and he often stutters, so a comeback for JR would be pretty iffy. Im not the biggest fan of Jerry Lawler, but I just wish he was a heel again. Joey Styles would be a good addition. They could put him on Smackdown to replace Cole as play-by-play announcer, just to kind of shake things up. WWE needs to get rid of Tony Dawson though, or at least make him backstage interviewer. I also hope they will get rid of Josh Matthews (His voice is annoying). As far as Miz and Riley go, I think Miz should stay as an in-ring competitor. He's good on commentary, but he deserves to be on the card. HE WAS A FORMER WORLD CHAMPION, DAMNITT!!! I think that they should give Scott Stanford a push, though. He deserves to be on SD!

So here is my "Dream Team' of commentators.

RAW: Michael Cole, JBL, Jerry Lawler
SmackDown!: Joey Styles, JBL OR Scott Stanford
Main Event: The Miz and Scott Stanford
Superstars: Alex Riley and Josh Matthews

what i think they should do is keep 1 guy (joey styles imo) at the booth and then have different superstars come and do commentary for a night/match/segment or however long, this will let the public get to know the wrestlers better and give the wrestlers practice at talking.

Last week when the new corporation was in the ring and the shield were beating up Daniel Bryan all the while HHH was mocking Bryan and then had Orton hit the RKO, there was nothing from the commentators. It was stupid. JR would have been saying how it made him sick and would really sell his disgust at what was going on with actual emotion on the mic.

My problem is with Cole & Lawler. They have become really stale, completely no emotion on the mic. Its time to let them go and try someone new. Pair em up with JBL and it can be good. But replace them 2 with only 1 person

When I became aware that JBL would be returning to his role as commentator, I was incredibly excited because he played the greatest heel comentator of the Ruthless Aggression era. In my opinion he outshined a heel Jerry King Lawler easily. Unfortunately, WWE has been grooming Michael Cole as the lead commentator right now, and the only person who can go heel. Therefore, JBL's commentating has been watered down. Also, having three people as commentators limits the amount each man can commentate significantly. We have three people at the table who can barely tell a story as it is and have to share their presence on the mic. The dynamic no longer works because they're washed up. Todd Grishman and Matt Striker made the dismal WWECW watchable with their commentary. Matt was eloquent and Todd was analytical. Wrestling is constantly evolving and if the ones responsible for conveying the majority of information to the WWE Universe arent living up to the standards that the industry and the fans have set, it eventually impacts the whole program. JR has had a very limited presence these past couple of years, and the matches that he has called recently werent exactly 5 star matches, but JR has not lost his talent in working the mic. Thats what sets him apart from very man who has tried to fill his seat since.

The addition of JBL to the table has been quite refreshing. I think the problem lies with having Lawler at the table. Michael Cole can still incite feelings inside of you (good and bad) with his commentary, Lawler has completely lost his ability. I won't pretend to know the answer as to whom to put in his place, but the answer is most definitely not Jim Ross or Alex Riley.

Jerry Lawler is the weak link. His commentary has been getting progressively worse and he is no longer funny. He was at his best when with J.R talking about "puppies".

I like Cole and JBL but they should add a third person for Raw. If Booker T isn't doing anything then he wouldn't be a bad choice. I wouldn't hate the idea of having a "guest" commentator every week. Maybe bringing back a legend or someone with decent wrestling knowledge to change it up.

Joey Styles should be on commentary but I think he is a little bit unpredictable. One Night Stand in 2005 is the best commentary on any event in wrestling. He is hilarious and he could still be a good "pg" commentator.

Jerry Lawler is by far the worst. He was only good when paired with JR. Michael Cole kinda annoying too but not as bad.

I like commentators who talk more about the match and the moves rather than about the storyline or some other feud and in this regard I feel Tazz was extremely underrated. I've always felt that Tazz's commentary was one of the reasons why Smackdown matches were so good in 2002-2003. Too bad he's in TNA now.

Matt Striker did a pretty good job as well, far better than what Lawler has been doing recently which is why I was surprised that they fired him. I think of the people they currently have, Vince and Heyman are probably the best choices to replace Cole and Lawler but that's pretty much impossible at this point unless Vince turns face and even then I don't think either of them would want to be on TV every week. Vince was a great play-by-play commentator and I believe his commentary helped Shawn Michaels' career a lot, who can forget Shawn holding the WWF title with Vince saying "The boyhood dream has come true for Shawn Michaels". Heyman was a terrific color commentator and recently in that symposium or whatever they did last week for the WWE2K14 game even JR acknowledged that Heyman brought out the best in him.

Something that I never understood is why the WWE insists on Cole being the play by play/face commentator. IMO they have all the right people but they are in the wrong places. JBL should be the play by play guy and Cole should be the colour guy. They might be able to make King the Tenay of the group since we have the technology to make anyone Tenay these days (Note that I said "might").

I've been an on and off viewer so if they tried turning Cole heel before and I missed it then forgive my ignorance.

I believe that good commentary is something you shouldn't notice during a match, but miss it a lot when it's gone. It shouldn't make or break a show. JBL has been nothing but great IMO since he came back last year. He's witty and puts a very logical spin on things, calling the other two on some of their face commentary if it's too much sucking up to the good guys.

Not a big fan of Lawler's voice. Sometimes he can be quite funny at times, but when he's excited, he screeches. Since they became a three man team, he's been relegated to chiming in here and there in reaction to Cole/JBL and that's fine with me. He still adds a lot to the team, but that voice... Oh, that shrill voice...

DarrenYoungsCleanAssFro said:
I've been an on and off viewer so if they tried turning Cole heel before and I missed it then forgive my ignorance.
For Cole at his most villainous, go have a look at matches from Miz's run as WWE champ (aka the dark days). The Miz and Cole were BFF's. Cole even had a perspex box he hid in (the Cole mine), so that nobody could attack him. A lot of posters loved his heel work, but I didn't care for it. Cole seemed heelish, solely for the sake of being the bad guy. He'd flip his whole attitude of a wrestler the moment they switched an alignment after praising/burying them for months. This usually happens gradually, but with Cole it was a little too obvious for my liking.

Okay for all the idiots complaining about the announcers being quiet during the shield beatdown, don't you morons realize that they were scripted to be quiet so that the camera mikes and sound guys could pick up what HHH was ordering Shield and the others to do?
It was a work, people. Get over yourselves.

I do agree that they are stale, but honestly for the most part I've never really found any of them to be fresh. JR was good and interesting until that abortion of an era with the fake diesel/razor and had occassional moments of genius (such as during the Taker/Mankind HitC) but for the most part he too suffered from over repetitive calls. Unless something truly memorable happened his average match calling was annoying as hell, same as King and Cole.
It's too bad Heenan's throat likely can't take it because if it was up to me, I'd love nothing better then Mean Gene and the Brain back at ringside. Unless it was old Vince himself (pre attitude era) with Jesse Ventura calling it next to him.
As for Joey Styles, god no. Talk about annoying wastes of time. Alex Riley(not Ary,) is sort of in the position now that Macho was in during the early 90's. Do you really think he wants to be an announcer right now? He's probably desperate for another chance to wrestler, but backstage issues have kept him out of the ring, similar to Savage prior to his WWE departure. Vince wanted Savage to retire from active wrestling and be the voice and pr guy for the wwf, but Savage wanted to be a wrestler and felt his in ring career was far from over.
Go for outside talent. Bring in some real oddball choices.
Imagine a match being called by the following:
Peter Cullen (voice of Optimus Prime) paired with Frank Welker(multiple voices and personality quirks from the various characters he's voiced over the years)
Seth/Seth/Seth (Green/Rollins/MacFarlan)

I would love the see all of the commentary teams mixed up. Yes I agree that Michael Cole is what they are pushing to be the Gorilla Monsoon & JR of their time, but he really isn't and will never be as good as those two men both were (still are, in JR's case). Although, the WWE wants him to be the lead announcer so here is what I suggest happens to the RAW commentary team;

Lead Announcer/Play-By-Play; Michael Cole
Colour Commentator; William Regal

.. I mean could you imagine what type of comments that William Regal would come out with against Michael Cole, the banter between these two men would work and it also means that we would be able to get a lot more into a match and actually be able to bear a pairing for 3 hours.

On the SmackDown side of things I am quite happy with how it is although, again, we have Michael Cole & hearing his voice one a week is more than enough for me, so the changes that I would make there would be;

Lead Announcer; Scott Stanford
Tweener Announcer; Jerry Lawler
'Full' Colour Commentator; JBL

..Now I know I went with a 3 man booth but I think this is what SmackDown needs again is to have 3 guys calling the action, also this would make it easier for Jerry Lawler as he wouldn't be live and he could make the stupid mistakes that he does as they can be edited out. Also it wouldn't be as long hours and we would still get to hear his input for the week.

NXT has some great announcing although I would love to hear this announce team, again;

Play-By-Play; Jim Ross
Colour Commentator; Paul Heyman

.. Also by doing this is would let Paul watch the guys and girls in the ring from a birds eye view, which means we could be treated to Paul pushing for one of these guys (or girls) and having 'Paul Heyman Guy' or Girl, exclusively to NXT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back