NBA Offseason

I think the problem with Dwight Howard is that he just didn't ever seem to care about getting better. He was comfortable and happy with how good he was and never strove to be the best he could be.

Howard was quite a bit like LeBron, in that they both had fantastic NBA bodies and out of this world athleticism. But whereas LeBron was driven to become known as the best ever, Howard was happy just doing what he did and never really worked to expand his game. And when the NBA continued to evolve, and as Howard began to get older, he increasingly became less important and less valuable.

There's no reason Howard could not be a valuable player in today's NBA. Tim Duncan was a valuable member of the Spurs until he was 40. And while Duncan was more skilled when he came into the NBA than Howard, there's no reason Howard could not have drastically improved his skills with the world class coaching he was surrounded with. He just didn't care enough to do so.

Sly hit the nail on the head. Howard has never really cared about much in the NBA. He is the type of player that looks at losing as, "Oh well, the sun will shine tomorrow". I think history has shown that the most successful players in NBA history were the ones who were the most driven. I'd say borderline obsessive. Howard has never been that kind of player. He never tried to improve his jump shot, his free throw shooting, and as he got older and older and lost a lot of his athleticism, he never tried to change his game and adapt to the NBA as it is now. To be a successful center in today's NBA one needs these three things now a days; a jump shot, ability to rebound, and defense. Cousins, Davis, and even Porzingas all have those abilities. DeAndre Jordan can play defense and rebound, but he can't shoot. Thus, until he can, he's always going to be a level below the other guys. Howard was good defensively because he was super athletic. Now that he's lost that, he hasn't tried to change his game to make up for his lost athleticism and to be honest, it's a little too late in his career for him to try now.

Howard has definitely fallen from grace. He might still be making some money, but it won't be long until he's on a mid level exception contract somewhere for 2 years making a million or less a year.

Sly hit the nail on the head. Howard has never really cared about much in the NBA. He is the type of player that looks at losing as, "Oh well, the sun will shine tomorrow". I think history has shown that the most successful players in NBA history were the ones who were the most driven. I'd say borderline obsessive. Howard has never been that kind of player. He never tried to improve his jump shot, his free throw shooting, and as he got older and older and lost a lot of his athleticism, he never tried to change his game and adapt to the NBA as it is now. To be a successful center in today's NBA one needs these three things now a days; a jump shot, ability to rebound, and defense. Cousins, Davis, and even Porzingas all have those abilities. DeAndre Jordan can play defense and rebound, but he can't shoot. Thus, until he can, he's always going to be a level below the other guys. Howard was good defensively because he was super athletic. Now that he's lost that, he hasn't tried to change his game to make up for his lost athleticism and to be honest, it's a little too late in his career for him to try now.

Howard has definitely fallen from grace. He might still be making some money, but it won't be long until he's on a mid level exception contract somewhere for 2 years making a million or less a year.

I doubt it. Dwight sees himself as the man. He doesnt seem to care about winning so he'll take the best deal he can get and some GM will be dumb enough to give it to him. Sacramento a likely candidate

I can't help but feel like the NBA's new All-Star game rules are a concession that the West is so much more dominant in the talent department. Though, with all the supposed drama surrounding all the hurt feelings about players moving, it will be interesting to see how teams shake out.

I can't help but feel like the NBA's new All-Star game rules are a concession that the West is so much more dominant in the talent department. Though, with all the supposed drama surrounding all the hurt feelings about players moving, it will be interesting to see how teams shake out.

The schoolyard pick is already way more interesting than the actual All-Star game. Huge missed opportunity if they don't air the picking live.

Begging, absolutely pleading, with LeBron to pick Kyrie as his number one pick.

The schoolyard pick is already way more interesting than the actual All-Star game. Huge missed opportunity if they don't air the picking live.

Begging, absolutely pleading, with LeBron to pick Kyrie as his number one pick.

I'd find it funnier if the other person picking refused to pick Kyrie just to try and force him on James. Though, if James picks first, him making Kyrie go to the other team by default would still be funny.

Thinking about the new system more though, it really doesn't solve the issue regarding people the best players making the game. Think about it. Players like Carmelo Anthony, Draymond Green and Jimmy Butler might not even make the squad because they still limited the voting to 12 from the East and 12 from the West. They would likely be starters on the East team. There's a real chance they won't make the top 12 in the West.

Sure, the teams will (likely) be more balanced since it's schoolyard picking rules, but there's no doubt the West will be keeping better players home than the East may even be starting.

The game won’t change, no matter how they decide teams, until they give players a reason to care. The NFL tried this and it didn’t do much for fan or player interest. I think the NBA’s All-Star weekend is still the best in sports due to the entirety of the festivities, but this isn’t gonna make The actual game any more interesting.

Their team looks like phillys from a few years ago. Until Lavine comes back, who is their consistent number 1 option? Mirotic or I seriously can't find anyone else that could fill that role.

I don’t even think Lavine is that great. He can be a number one on a piss poor team, but put him on any playoff caliber team, either conference, and he is a number 3 option at best.

No one cares about the game. I just want to see fireworks :lmao:

The soap opera that the NBA has become is about the only thing left that interests me anymore. Why do you think I watch wrestling? Geez I feel like we're having a number of moves vs. promo skills argument :lmao:

Between the Bears starting the living epitome of a dude-bro at Quarterback,and the Bulls absolutely falling off a cliff with our best player being an oft injured Euro big man, I'm just gonna hope the Cubs repeat while I drink myself into a depressive stupor.

Between the Bears starting the living epitome of a dude-bro at Quarterback,and the Bulls absolutely falling off a cliff with our best player being an oft injured Euro big man, I'm just gonna hope the Cubs repeat while I drink myself into a depressive stupor.

Your English is very good for a Korean.

For a team that's technically rebuilding after the meme writer's wet dream of quarterback finally left, they're not actually that bad. It's certainly way too early to get excited about the quarterback though.

And the Bulls should've gone full rebuild when Rose went out. Adding pieces like Wade were like putting a bandage on an artery laceration. They were an offensive joke without him in the lineup and his style is too dangerous to sustain. Good news is, in the NBA, big market teams find it much easier to pull in stars.

For a team that's technically rebuilding after the meme writer's wet dream of quarterback finally left, they're not actually that bad. It's certainly way too early to get excited about the quarterback though.

And the Bulls should've gone full rebuild when Rose went out. Adding pieces like Wade were like putting a bandage on an artery laceration. They were an offensive joke without him in the lineup and his style is too dangerous to sustain. Good news is, in the NBA, big market teams find it much easier to pull in stars.

The Defense this year has improved from poor to average prior to some debilitating injuries, and the Howard/Cohen punch from the backfield is a lot of fun to watch. But I don't think Mitch has what it takes to make this team anything more than 3-13 or 4-12.

I don't think the Bulls going into full rebuild mode wouldn't have made much sense since we lost Rose. The three seasons Rose spent riding the bench a Thibs coached team was able to take Chicago to the second round multiple times. But this last season without Rose and Noah (who was really underrated offensively in Chicago) we just didn't have enough pieces to stay competitive. We didn't have the size, or the speed to be effective on any side of the ball and without Butler or Wade we're going to get absolutely thrashed.

Man, the Western Conference is going to be awesome sauce this year. Like Seriously, IMO only the top 2 teams are a lock and that's Golden State and San Antonio. After them, It's literally anyone's game.

Everybody is saying that the Thunder will be up there, but I think that they're going to run into problems early on with who plays what role on the team. It's going to take them some time to figure that out.

Houston will have the same issue. As Harden played, and was damn good at, the PG last season I think it's going to take them time to get used to CP3 coming in and running the team. Also, after Harden and CP3, they don't have near the talent that the other top teams have.

The Timberwolves have a hell of a roster. Butler, Anthony-Towns, Jamal Crawford, Wiggins, Teague, and more. They could likely be a really good team this year. Also, what if the Pelicans have gotten it together with Davis and Cousins? That's one hell of a duo. Memphis is always in the mix of things it seems so I expect them to be as good as always.

I'm telling you, teams are going to have to be 50 win teams just to make the playoffs in the Western Conference this year. In the Leastern Conference after the Cavs and Boston, the field is wide open. You'll have the usual 35 win teams make the playoffs. I guess Washington might be up there with the Cavs and Boston. We'll have to see.

You know a team that got some buzz last season that not a single person is really talking about this year? Toronto. They have some solid guys, but it feels like the moves they made and didn't make really fell flat compared to the other teams in the league and now they feel like they are just another also ran in the East.

Werent toronto terrible last year compared to the year before?

As for worrying about who finishes where, thats pointless. Regular season counts for shit as we've seen. The cavs will come out of the east and the warriors out the west. The cavs might be the number 1 seed they might not but its not going to matter because if you are good enough to win the championship, you'll be good enough to win at least one road game

Joel Embiid with that 5 Year $148 Million extension. 76ers have some kind of injury protection in relation to their salary cap built into the contract.

33 games man. 33.

They must either have a lot of faith that he'll be able to put his injuries behind him or they must know that his upside is so huge that it's worth the risk. I would love to see him come out and dominate and overcome the injury bug that's been nagging him most of his career, but averaging 11 games per season is... bad. Really bad.

I think it's too big of a risk to take. He might have a great upside, however, nobody could possibly know that for sure. What they can know for sure, though, is that he's always injured and has only played 33 games. So, judging by his past, he's more likely to get injured again then to become a great and wonderful asset to the team.

I thought they were on the right path and I was actually buying in to the Process, but IDK what they're doing with this deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back