• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Most Unexpected World Champion

Jack Swagger. He was losing to Santino, a month later he was World Champion? I mean really? There was no build towards his title win, he just won the MiTB, won the title the same week. Did nothing with it and lost it.

Swagger and Sheamus immediately came to mind the moment I read the title.

We have one guy who was getting humiliated by Santino just months earlier then goes on to win Money in the Bank and cashes in on the same week in Swagger. Prior to the MiTB match, I didn't see any reason as to why Swagger shoud've won that match and hell, even after he won the match, the thought of him being the first MiTB winner to lose when he cashes in crossed my mind.

Then Sheamus was up against the WWE's golden boy, John Cena.

Well for me and many others it's Sheamus, he was in the company for half a year and the majority of them six months he was in ECW and then he won the battle royal and becomes number one contender which to me was a major shock and was very unexpected, then he beats Cena (the face of the company) to become champion. That to me makes him the most unexpected World Champion, I know he was friends with Trips which will always get you somewhere but I didn't expect that, I mean correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he in a feud with Jamie Noble weeks before the battle royal?

most unexpected id have to say is edge for his mitb cash in on cena. Sure everyone knew he was going to win it eventually but when he cashed in not 1 person expected him to cash in the night he did and if you are saying that you did then you are a liar.

undeserving? probably sheamus even though he is great.

also does brian kendrick count? he won the WHC in a scramble match but im not sure if it goes down as official. I know everyone who held the hardcore title at WM16 in that awful scramble match went down as a official holders so maybe he is a former WHC technically.

Ok i would say far as wwe champions sheamus because he won the WWE TITLE from JOHN "SUPER" CENA and he beat him without help so not only did he beat superman he beat him fair and square WOW he did win after cena tripped onto the table thats wats so shocking lmao

As far as whc goes i would say dolph not because he won it but because the wwe actually recognised it. he didnt even get the belt off the stand before he lost it his first world title reign lasteed 11 minutes

I have to go with Jeff Hardy be world champion. So he come back to the Wwe after suspended for drug got push alway up to champion. It just crazy he got that push but like it feud with CM Punk.

Eddie Guererro. The man has talent in the ring & on the mic but knowing WWE, this guy would've never made it to main event level. But when he pulled it off & won the title at WrestleMania, everybody was included. I love Eddie, and may he rest in peace. He was in my opinion the most unexpected WWE Champion. It was an instance where WWE put the strap on the small guy just like Benoit, Rey & hopefully Daniel Bryan.

I would also vote for Jeff Hardy. Nothing about him screamed world champion to me, but the fans love him and he flies all over the ring. When he won his first title, I couldn't believe it.

Rey Mysterio

He may have been really over win the fans ever since he came to the company, but I really never thought I would see the day that Vince would put the World Title on a man who is the size of a child. It must have been a huge decision for him, risking making a mockery of the title by putting it on a 5'3 guy, no matter how popular and entertaining he is.

Mankind

He never looked like a star, he didn't even look like an athlete but Mick Foley achieved what noone ever thought he would when he became the WWF Champion in one of the all-time greatest wrestling feel-good moments. He deserved it, no question but who would have believed that the title would be won by someone who just did not look like they had it in him. It was a great moment for me, I was so happy to see Foley on top but it certainly shocked me.

Sheamus

A rookie beating the biggest star in the business in his first crack at the title after only debuting on the show a few weeks earlier? WOW. That took me totally by surprise and it was another huge gamble by the WWE, but this one has eventually paid off with Sheamus recognised as a genuine superstar now.

Chris Jericho

Everyone could see that he was going to be a champion one day, but when the WCW and WWF titles were unified, which was a HUGE deal, noone really thought that Jericho would be chosen as the 1st Undisputed WWE Champion ahead of the 2 biggest names in the business in Stone Cold and The Rock. Not only was Y2J chosen, but he beat both of them in one night, showing the faith that WWE had in him.

JBL

After spending all of his career as a tag team or lower card wrestler, Bradshaw changed his gimmick and almost immediately was put in the main event heel position on SmackDown, where he won the title quickly. This really shocked me, I never dreamed in a million years that Bradshaw would ever hold the WWE title, and I am betting almost no other fans thought that either. However, he kept the belt for a year, and ended up a well-regarded main eventer. So another good decision from the WWE.

Vince McMahon

Come on, who really thought he would ever wrestle a match, let alone win the title??? Simply for storyline purposes it worked, but it did make a mockery of the belt.

For wwe it has to be Rey mysterio.... how many times did he either job or get beat up in the first 6 weeks with the belt?

i cant remember if he regained it or retained it here, but i am gonna go out on a limb and say cena beating hhh at mania was one of the biggest suprises i have ever seen in my 25 years of watching. this was before the super cena days mind you, and even when he had trips poised to tap i thought 'no way'.
and when he tapped my whole house was shocked into silence.
great underrated match by both men, made me a believer that the face cena could have classic matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back