MOSH PIT: The "Metalhead" Thread

Barbedwire Ropes

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
I ever so often decide to get away from all of the wrestling talk on the forums and stroll on out to the music section. There are, occasionally, a few threads worthy of attention such as the album suggestion thread but most of the time the music talk on here is about stuff like Taylor Swift, Muse, Lil Wayne or whatever else is mega-popular with the kiddies and topping the charts these days. But there always seems to be one thing lacking on here, and that is METAL.

Is it just me, or are there any "metalheads" in the Wrestlezone Forums? I sure hope so, because I seem to get alot of heat when I mention metal bands in other music threads. I know im not alone, but is there anyone else with me on Wrestlezone?

So, if youre a metalhead and you got a voice jump in this thread!

What are your Favourite Bands?
Favourite Classic Albums?
Best Albums of 2009?
Best Shows You've Been To?
Are You in a Band?

Anything and everything Metal and Metal-Related, lets have ourselves our very own Wrestlezone Moshpit!

There's definitely not a lack of metal fans around here. They just post more Bar Room stuff than in here...I've been pushing bands like In This Moment, All That Remains, Walls Of Jericho, OT3P, 5FDP, and so many others since I started here. I like all genres, but metal is definitely my favorite.

I've been playing a lot of Straight Line Stitch and Arkaea lately, simply because I just saw SLS in concert, and they tore the house down. Arkaea was supposed to be there, but the singer caught Swine Flu, and they dropped off the tour. Still good stuff. I'd recommend it all.

Im more into the Tech/Extreme stuff when it comes to metal. Stuff like Between the Buried and Me, The Faceless, Psyopus,....I could really go on for hours. But im also into alot more diverse genres like Post-Metal, Instra, Progressive, Post-Hardcore, Blues-core. Some folk is okay too, Like Musk Ox, but I pretty much stick to the Metal/Technical side of things. The mainstream sickens me.

To be honest, I don't really enjoy those bands you mentioned. The only NWOAHM bands I can really stand are Lamb of God and Machine Head. Other that, new wave just seems so "been there, done that". But regardless of what I like, a metal fan is good in my books anyday.

The last show I went to was 3 Inches of Blood and Bison B.C with The Golers. That was an epic show of great Canadian Riff Metal! Some of the most active mosh pits I've ever seen as well. Check any of those guys out if you havent heard them already!

Check any of those guys out if you havent heard them already!

I've seen BTBAM before, but it was the show immediately following their falling out with Sharon and Ozzy on Ozzfest, and they really just kind of phoned it in. I was extremely disappointed, but felt a little better after reading everything.

I've seen 3 Inches Of Blood three or four times, and they're a must-see band. They all feed off each other, and the crowd gets insane. They've always been the first band on, and no mater who follows them, the energy carries over.

Ha! Are there any other metal heads around?! Actually, there's more of us than you'd think.

As for some of your questions:

What are my favorite (presumably metal) bands? Easily Kittie is number one for me. It's all about the intensity these girls offer. I've been following them since '98 or '99. Outside of them, I usually listen to black metal. Bands like Mayhem, Celtic Frost, Venom, etc. I love the downtuned guitars, driving bass lines, and masterful drums.

My absolute favorite show so far has got to be a triple bill: Pantera, Kittie, and Morbid Angel. Three very different sounds, yet they hung together so effortlessly. And the crowning moment: Kittie joining Pantera onstage for a killer cover of Walk. Though, I suspect that only happened because Phil was drunk, on top of having a considerable ammount of narcotics in his system.

All in all, I'd like to think the best form of music is metal.........

I stickyed the thread so hopefully people feel that this is a good enough place for generalised discussion of metal to take place. If it doesn't get enough posts it will get unstickyed and left to the mercies of the posters.

I listen to metal, recently I have been listening to the more progressive side of metal again, with the likes of Mastodon, Opeth and Dream Theater most recently. Generally speaking I flit between sub-genres of metal, I will listen to the Pirate Metal of Alestorm, to then switch completely to the Death Metal of Bolt Thrower. To more melodic musical types within Metal. I listen to more than just metal so I understand more I hope about influences and effects that are brought in by bands, not in a lord it over you type of know more, but a I understand it more for myself than anything.

Im more into the Tech/Extreme stuff when it comes to metal. Stuff like Between the Buried and Me, The Faceless, Psyopus,....I could really go on for hours.

The Faceless and Psyopus are awesome. Easily my my #2/#3 on the tech-side of things, right behind Origin.

Lately I've been listening to the really, really underground stuff. Bands like Devourment, Inveracity, Human Mincer, and Putrid Pile. It used to be I'd listen to the aformentioned bands just to kinda laugh along with my friends at the ridiculous gutturals and the insane song titles... But lately i've started developing an ear for the actual music and it's just awesome. I'd kill to see one of those bands live.

What are your Favourite Bands? - Aborted, Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Origin, Bloodbath, At The Gates, The Haunted
Favourite Classic Albums? - Any live album from Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/ and pretty much any Morbid Angel disc.
Best Albums of 2009? - Putrid Pile(House of Dementia), Slayer(World Painted Blood), Cannibal Corpse(Evisceration Plague), Devourment(Unleash the Carnivores), and Megadeth(Endgame)
Best Shows You've Been To? - Summer Slaughter 08/Mayhem Fest 09
Are You in a Band? - Used to be, not exactly my style though. I play all instruments and did 75% of the writing, but am a vocalist primarily.

Band: Slayer
Album: Raining blood, Powerslave (Maiden) was also awesome, Oh and Emperial Live Ceremony (emperor) is a fave of mine
Album 2009: Leto Destinatus - Universum (technically released in 08 but I didn't hear it till this may so :p)
Best Show: Suffocation (07')
Am I in a band: Yeah, just a stuff around to pass the time, nothing serious.

I'm mostly into some of the more popular, mainstreamish metal bands, like Metallica, Killswitch Engage, System of a Down, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, etc. and the like, but I've also been listening to more progressive and heavy metal bands. I absolutely love Meshuggah ('ve got Future Breed Machine on right now) and Mastodon, plus I've lately been getting into stuff like Converge, Dethklok, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth, Gojira, and Neurosis. Also I listen to a couple of more classic metal/hard rock influenced metal bands like Monster Magnet, Priestess and Fozzy. There's a lot of good stuff out there from both the popular and obscure variations of metal.

I stickyed the thread so hopefully people feel that this is a good enough place for generalised discussion of metal to take place. If it doesn't get enough posts it will get unstickyed and left to the mercies of the posters.

PLEASE keep the thread here...all the resident metalheads here on WZ need a place of refuge.

My favorite bands:
Right now, I'm into Killswitch Engage. Always have been. They have always been on my metal radar. Other metal faves include Hourcast, Shadows Fall, Unearth, Lamb of God,and maaaany others, I'll name more when I get a chance...

Favorite classic albums: Anything from Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica (when they had more of a thrash style)...

Best Albums of 2009: Check out War is The Answer from Five Finger Death Punch, Wrath by Lamb Of God, The March by Unearth, Crack The Skye by Mastodon, and the self-titled effort from Killswitch Engage.

Shows I've Been To: Drowning Pool, Slipknot, Korn, Mudvayne, and Lamb Of God.

Am I in a band? Hell no, but if I was I would be a singer, I have no natural talent for that, but I rock the vocals on Guitar Hero all the time. It's not hard though...

This selection does not even begin to scratch the surface of my metal fandom. I have a wide range of tastes, from metalcore to thrash to grunge, although all of those aren't really considered metal...trust me, I'll post in this thread quite often...

I listen to quite a bit of metal as well, everything from your classic stuff like Maiden, Metallica, Manowar, and Slayer, to more progressive stuff like Meshuggah. Frankly though my favorite subgenre of metal has always and will always be mathcore/metalcore. I say those two together because they're usually very closely linked. Mathcore is the term I prefer though, as when you say metalcore some people think of bands like Atreyu, and though I did like their early stuff, compared to mathcore like Fear Before the March of Flames and The Number Twelve Looks Like You it sounds like pop radio practically.

Yeah, obviously from my username I was a huge fan of Fear Before the March of Flames. Their band has changed so much since their first album though that at this point they're barely recognizable. Oh well, I still have Odd How People Shake and Art Damage to listen to, two of the very best mathcore albums ever.

Between the Buried and Me, Opeth, Gojira, and Neurosis

AWESOME!!!!
Gojira's "The Way of All Flesh" still kicks my ass each and every time I throw that thing on. The funny thing is, I used to hate that band with a passion. Then one day, I heard the song 'Toxic Garbage Island' and that was it, I was hooked! Neurosis is also doing some epic stuff, especially their material featuring Jackie Perez-Gratz of Grayceon on the cello!

Im really surprised by the diversity of this forum. I'll try not to be a hater, but we have everything from mainstream metal like Metallica and Pantera to stuff like Origin and PUTRID PILE. Im impressed. Theres only been one band mentioned that I cant stand and that is Kittie. But I think thats becuase im from Canada and I've had them shoved down my throat for 10 years.

What are your Favourite Bands? (In Order) Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Agalloch

Favourite Classic Albums? Metallica - S&M

Best Albums of 2009? Between the Buried and Me - "The Great Misdirect" and Cattle Decapitation - "The Harvest Floor"

Best Shows I've Been To? "Progressive Nation Pt.1" (Dream Theater, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, 3), "The Death Magnetic Tour" (Metallica, Lamb of God, The Sword), "Sounds of the Underground Pt.1" (Lamb of God, GWAR, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, Clutch, High on Fire, DevilDriver and more), "Fear of A Blank Planet Tour" (Porcupine Tree, 3)

Are You in a Band? THE ABSTRACTION. 2 peice acoustic "Technical Folk".

Just realized someone mentioned The Number 12 Looks Like You!!!
I fucking love that band. Fucking amazing seen them once, in NJ, there release of Mongrel. Personally I like Nuclear Sad Nuclear better then Mongrel.

Just realized someone mentioned The Number 12 Looks Like You!!!
I fucking love that band. Fucking amazing seen them once, in NJ, there release of Mongrel. Personally I like Nuclear Sad Nuclear better then Mongrel.

Yeah that was me, I used to be huge into shit like them, Converge, FBTMOF, Circle Takes the Sqaure (bit more screamo there), Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan, Evergreen Terrace, etc. Seen everyone of those bands (except for Botch), I used to hang out quite a bit with the lead singer/guitarist of the band Vanna if you've ever heard of them.

Number Twelve Looks Like You are one of my favorites of the genre though, it's great enough that their name is from an episode of The Twilight Zone, but they put on one of the best damn shows I've ever seen. Great band.

Yes, a good stage performance to say the least. During which album period did you see them at? Was it before the release of Mongrel?

Yes, a good stage performance to say the least. During which album period did you see them at? Was it before the release of Mongrel?

Yeah this was a long time ago, before Mongrel, back in 2004. I was pretty big into the New England metal/screamo scene at the time. Saw them with a strangely awesome Slayer cover band that was way too good to just be covering other people's material.

I haven't been to a concert in awhile, not as much this year atleast. The only shows I've been to was to see the English Beat (not metal, but amazing band nontheless), and Job For a Cowboy, who are a fantastic deathcore band. Saw them at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel up in Providence here, kickass show. Metal and alcohol always equals fun, especially in an awesome venue like Lupo's where it's so easy to get away with sneaking in alcohol. I'm not paying eight bucks for a beer or some shit like that, no thanks.

My favorite genre of metal definitely has to be thrash. Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, and Sepultura of course were the pioneers of this genre, which gave birth to some of the other forms of metal like speed metal and death metal.

Some of my faves from this sect include Corrosion of Conformity, Cavalera Conspiracy, Machine Head, and Soulfly (which incorporates many elements into their music, most notably the 'tribal' sound, or 'world music').

Speed metal is not really my cup of tea, but I still rock out to Dragonforce. If you want a badass song that sums up their unique style, listen to "Operation Ground and Pound." That would be a serious challenge on Guitar Hero for sure.

Then you can see thrash influences in other genres like hardcore, with bands like Hatebreed and Madball as some of its best representatives. I think hardcore is so addicting because of the powerful lyrics which speak out against corrupt authority while sticking up for yourself.

My favorite bands: Opeth man, intense as hell band, if you get a chance check out the Ghost reveries, Blackwater park and Still life albums! So progressive and heavy, but also have acoustic jazz parts, it just flows so well.
Another band im into a lot is Alexisonfire, if you get a chance check out the Watch Out! album
also like Nile, inteeeeense band!

Favorite classic albums:
Annihilation of the wicked, Black seeds of Vengance - Nile
Blackwater park, Ghost reveries, Still life, Deliverence - Opeth
Through the ashes of empires - Machine Head
Evisceration Plague, Gallery of Suicide - Cannibal Corpse
Focus, Traced in Air - Cynic
Watch out, Crisis, Old crows/Young Cardinals - Alexisonfire
Slaughter of the Soul - At the gates.

Best Albums of 2009: I would say Crack the Skye so far, The new Biffy clyro album is immense as well.

Shows I've Been To:
Opeth
Cynic
The Ocean Collective
Napalm death
Lamb of god
John Mayer
Chimaira:worship:

Finally, the official Metal thread has been placed. Thanks BarbedWire...

Alright, I have to say that the Metal genre is one of my favourite (broad) genres where I can basically pick most of the subgenres out and say, yep thats some good listening... like X, I start from the classics such as Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, Priest all the way to the newer bands like In This Moment, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine and Disturbed. I love basically everything to do with Metal.

However, my favourite genre is anything to do with Melodic or Symphonic/Gothic metal. The way that these artists can tell intricate stories with every song via mystical sounds and eloquinte singing touches my heart as soon as I press the play button. Bands like Arch Enemy, Evanscence (to an extent with the gothic metal bit), Nightwish, Children of Bodom and Within Temptation are some of my favourite bands because of what they do... I especially fall for the female singers like Tarja Turunen, Angela Gossow and Maria Brink whose voices have a distinct and unique sound.

But basically, I like all metal bands and genres. I will say that I have a disgust for the most extreme of extreme metal bands like Deicide, iwrestledabearonce and Cannibal Corpse due to their lyrics and music being closer to noise than sound... now on the questions:

What are your Favourite Bands?

Arch Enemy
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Nightwish
Ozzy Osbourne
Evanscence (again, if you can include them)

Favourite Classic Albums?

"Number of the Beast" - Iron Maiden
"Ace of Spades" - Motorhead

Best Album of 2009?

"The Root Of All Evil" - Arch Enemy

Best Shows I've Been To?

Evanescence "Open Door" Tour.

Are You in a Band?

Nope, but I know someone who knows someone who just received a contract. That's the best I got.

Whatever happened to justinsaynes metal asylum? Or justinsayne for that matter. He usually had some good metal bands in there and some good discussion.

Metal is probably my favourite genre, just inching out early-mid 90's hip-hop and fucked up wacky Jazz in the vein of Hermeto Pascoal. Metallica have been my favourite band since I was 10, and they still are. I guess I'm in the minority when I say I prefer Load over a substantial amount of their earlier works. But I love it all, save for two-thirds of St. Anger. I love the usual suspects i.e Black Sabbath, Judas Priest etc. Alot of progessive/tech death ranks among my favourite albums of all-time, Martyr's Hopeless Hopes and Theoy in Practice's Colonizing the Sun among them.

Mastodon are the unapposed best metal band going. Absolutely phenomenal. I can probably think of no less than five artists from any genre of music who have had four stellar, almost perfect albums released one after another. Their newest release Crack the Skye confirmed just how brilliant they are. "The Czar" is the best song I've heard in a while.

As for my favourite bands, Metallica, Megadeth (their newest release Endgame has been getting a lot of play recently, best thing they've done this decade), Pissing Razors, Mastodon, Brutality, Quo Vadis, Biomechanical and Hypocrisy.

Favourite classic albums - Metallica - Ride the Lightning, Anthrax - Among the Living, Trouble - Psalm 9, Megadeth - Rust in Peace, Coroner - No More Color & Lääz Rockit - Nothing's Sacred.

Best album of 2009 is no doubt Mastodon's Crack the Skye. Megadeth's Endgame, Nile's Those Whom the Gods Detest and The Chasm's Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm are runners up.

Best shows I've been to would be Metallica, Dying Fetus, Between the Buried and Me and Mastodon.

Whatever happened to justinsaynes metal asylum? Or justinsayne for that matter. He usually had some good metal bands in there and some good discussion.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=15804

Justin's not on here much anymore, he'll usually come on maybe once a week to talk about football in the Bar Room and that's about it. That thread's been gone for awhile though.

Mastodon are the unapposed best metal band going. Absolutely phenomenal. I can probably think of no less than five artists from any genre of music who have had four stellar, almost perfect albums released one after another. Their newest release Crack the Skye confirmed just how brilliant they are. "The Czar" is the best song I've heard in a while.

No doubt about it, Mastodon are fucking Godly. I have to credit the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie for introducing me to them.

Best shows I've been to would be Metallica, Dying Fetus, Between the Buried and Me and Mastodon.

Dude, Dying Fetus? Fucking awesome, I figured I'd be the only one on here who even knew who they were, deathcore at it's fucking best right there.

Random thought, am I the only one that thinks Show No Mercy is one of Slayer's best albums? I fucking love that album from start to finish but apparently it's not very well received. "Die By the Sword", "Evil Has No Boundaries", and "Fight Till Death" are all classic songs.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=15804

Justin's not on here much anymore, he'll usually come on maybe once a week to talk about football in the Bar Room and that's about it. That thread's been gone for awhile though.
Ah well. I thought justin was a cool guy. That thread was great, I think that sort of thing should be done for more genres of music, just like Ty does with the hip-hop thread. Especially lesser discussed things like Jazz and Blues, I have very rarely seen that kind of stuff talked about here.

Speaking of Anthrax, am I the only one that thinks Show No Mercy is one of their best albums? I fucking love that album from start to finish but apparently it's not very well received. "Die By the Sword", "Evil Has No Boundaries", and "Fight Till Death" are all classic songs.
You mean Slayer? :p

I love Show No Mercy, it's actually the first album I bought by Slayer. "Die By the Sword", "Black Magic" (that intro riff is just amazing, and now I'm going to have to pause The Pharcyde to listen to it, damn you X) and "The Antichrist" are better than 99% of the stuff they've ever done. I'd probably rank SNM behind Seasons and South. RIB would be fourth, I wore that shit out years ago and save two or else three songs, it really isn't as amazing as people like to say it is.

Dude, Dying Fetus? Fucking awesome, I figured I'd be the only one on here who even knew who they were, deathcore at it's fucking best right there.
Nothing is as energetic as seeing them play live. There's usually a few idiots in the crowd, but it's to be expected at a show like that. They're intense as fuck, their newest album War of Attrition is probably their most extreme release yet.

Wow kick me in the fucking teeth right this second. Why did I say Anthrax? Man I'm ******ed, don't mind me, I've been hitting the bong too much I guess :lmao:

Yeah, what Ty does with Hip Hop is great, I was considering making a thread like that but for punk rock, but I know almost no one on here who enjoys punk really aside from Ty and Tastycles. I'm not very well versed in jazz outside of Coltrane and Davis, but I'm a big blues fan, so I'd be down for that thread as well.

Ha, turning off Pharcyde to listen to Slayer? My kind of guy, both amazing groups. Think I'll listen to Pharcyde's "Pack the Pipe" right now infact.

On the topic of metal though, am I the only one that absolutely despises GWAR? I have a friend that swears by them, but I cannot get into their music at all.

Yeah, what Ty does with Hip Hop is great, I was considering making a thread like that but for punk rock, but I know almost no one on here who enjoys punk really aside from Ty and Tastycles. I'm not very well versed in jazz outside of Coltrane and Davis, but I'm a big blues fan, so I'd be down for that thread as well.
Punk rock is one of the very few genres I've struggled to get into. Admittedly I've only heard the well-known stuff, but it hasn't really appealed to me. It's something I'm not going to dismiss until I delve depper into and formulate a fair opinion instead of "lol ramones sux n so dus sex pistol".

I think I may consider making a Jazz thread sometime, but I know the interest will be minimal at best.

Ha, turning off Pharcyde to listen to Slayer? My kind of guy, both amazing groups. Think I'll listen to Pharcyde's "Pack the Pipe" right now infact.
Yeah, they're amazing. Made a post on them a while ago but I think it went largely unnoticed.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showpost.php?p=1422949&postcount=197

On the topic of metal though, am I the only one that absolutely despises GWAR? I have a friend that swears by them, but I cannot get into their music at all.
I can't stand them myself. Just really sloppy comedy thrash. I believe their appeal is the live show, where you end up covered in fake blood and experience some ridiculous stage show. I've never quite understood their appeal musically.

Also, can't believe I didn't mention Immolation. I just put Close to a World Below on, and I forgot just how fucking brutal that opening riff to "Father, You're Not A Father" is. It's not fast or technical but jesus is it heavy. Some of the finest death metal right there.

I don't think GWAR likes GWAR, X. I saw them once with the Misfits (henceforth, the Mistakes) and VooDoo Glow Skull, and, while their show was fun, the music sucked and they couldn't have appeared more pissed to be playing music, instead of playing with swords and a giant inflatable cock. I mean, if you really look at it, their name means " Gawd What Awful Racket".

That said, I too think all their appeal comes from the experience of the show, not the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back