Morgan & Hernandez: Legit Team?

I'm enjoying watching Morgan and Hernandez teaming up. They've got a massive amount of talent and have potential to be the faces of TNA. I was skeptical of putting Hernandez back in a tag team at first, but now that I'm seeing that it's giving Hernandez as well as Morgan something to do, I'm all for it. Personally I don't want to see them turn heel yet considering their team is still rather new, so let them reign as faces for a while.

Working off your idea, Dex, how about MCMG wins the titles from Morgan and Hernandez and that begins their heel turn?

Well, at lesat they have the size and power thing in common. I'm not sure on this but they're definitely an improvement over the boring British Invasion. This could work but at the same time I'm not entirely sold on having two guys like this just more or less thrown together because they're both big and strong. Hopefully this isn't a long term thing as Morgan actually still has some heat left with the crowd unlike Hernandez who has been completely dropped from any kind of importance at all. This could work, but certainly not as a long term thing.

In my opinion, it's at least a step back for Hernandez. This is "been there, done that" territory for him. I don't see the point really in breaking up an established tag team like LAX, giving one guy a single's push that appeared to work out pretty well, and then wrap him up in the tag division again with a different partner.

I've never really liked the idea of "two random upper-tier faces/heels" being tag team champions over other guys who have already been established as tag team wrestlers; what's the point in wasting your time in a tag-team (in non-kayfabe terms) if the company's going to give the gold to the same people who'd be your competition in the singles divisions? MCMGs have still never won a TNA tag title and they've been a solid tag team (probably TNA's most popular, with the possible exception of Beer Money) for nearly the past three years. I have the same problem with WWE who's had Rated RKO, Miz and Morrison (who started out just two random heels thrown together), Edge and Jericho, and JeriShow in just the past couple of years dominating the tag division, instead of building any programs around Cryme Tyme or Hart Dynasty or even Priceless (last time they were champions was before Legacy).

I'm really looking forward to Hernandez getting pushed further as a singles competitor. If TNA wants to use him as a tag wrestler, have him rejoin LAX (since British Revolution has already run it's course, it could be a good heel tag team TNA desperately needs).

I hope this tag team ends soon.

The main point of splitting up LAX was to make Hernandez a singles star, which botched, and now he's back in the tag division once again.

Same goes for Morgan, he was supposed to be a future main event singles star, had a good match with Angle on PPV, but now is just in the tag division.

The Brits should have retained, only to lose the belts at Against All Odds to MCMG.

I've got some mixed feelings. Like a few people have said before, it can be perceived that this is in fact a step backwards for Hernandez who doesn't seem to have been a singles competitor too long.
However Matt Morgan is still relatively young in the business and has mainly functioned as a singles competitor (I think) so this could be TNA hoping to add an extra dimension to his abilities by teaming him with someone of a similar build who has vast experience in the tag team division. Now I'm not meaning that Hernandez will be training Matt to become an excellent tag-team competitor solely, but I imagine it's of great advantage to Matt to learn about the differences and similarities between tag and singles competition.

...or TNA just want another tag team of big guys

I hope this tag team ends soon.

The main point of splitting up LAX was to make Hernandez a singles star, which botched, and now he's back in the tag division once again.

Same goes for Morgan, he was supposed to be a future main event singles star, had a good match with Angle on PPV, but now is just in the tag division.

The Brits should have retained, only to lose the belts at Against All Odds to MCMG.

It wasn't botched, it was bailed. Hernandez sucks on his own – and sucks bad.

His promos were garbage. He sounded like an angry 15-year old Mexican-American who hadn't quite decided whether or not Spanish or English was his "first" language. In fact, the English side of his promos was so bad, I actually looked forward most to the parts where he'd speak in a language I didn't even understand. He has the personality of a dial tone, and as much charisma in his entire body as someone like Morgan has in his pinky finger.

Oh I get it – TNA wants to appeal to the minority demographic and give them their Eddie Guerrero/Rey Mysterio, but Hernandez is a poor choice right now given how green he really is in front of a camera when he's not performing in the ring. He'll get there, I'm sure, but I don't blame TNA one bit for bailing on his singles push – it was painfully obvious he was never going to really get over, certainly not in any of the feuds they had him running in, either.

It was the perfect choice to give Morgan and Hernandez the tag straps, although there was no real buildup for them evolving as a tag team. That might have helped, but as long as the British Invasion doesn't have the belts, that's ok. The Brits do nothing for me, really.
Next, I think TNA should put together a Morgan-Hernandez vs. MCMG feud. That would be utterly awesome. A big brute tag team vs. a small, high-flying tag team. But who knows with Hogan trying to play puppetmaster. We may have the Nasty Boys as tag champs soon. It can happen. According to last night's spoilers, they went over Eric Young and Kevin Nash. C'mon. Soon they'll be feuding with Team 3D, and I don't even find them deserving of that.

If you mean legitimate as in Hogan and Bischoff and nothing else to do with them but tag them up, then yes.

I like HErnandez, but Matt Morgan is fucking shit. I imagine that the new guard have seen that, and have decided to give them a reason to be out of the main event. They'll hold the titles for a while, then lose them, then Morgan will turn heel. They'll feud for a bit, and then Morgan will feud with a main eventer until they realise that he's shit again and the cycle will recommence. I think that they'll be a team for a few months, but I don't think they'll have the longevity of Beer Money, the chemistry just isn't there.

I think that they'll be a team for a few months, but I don't think they'll have the longevity of Beer Money, the chemistry just isn't there.

That was all I figured anyway. I know they were tossed together to hold them over until a main event spot is open, but I was concerned at the lack of storyline to make it happen.

While I disagree with your views on Morgan :)suspic:), I do agree that this is a short lived team, with one turning heel, and their one on one feud being their introduction to the main event.

I do agree that this is a short lived team, with one turning heel, and their one on one feud being their introduction to the main event.

I only wonder which one of these two will turn heel. Probably Hernandez considering Morgan just turned face late last year and is (in my view) more over with the crowd than Hernandez.

But to answer the question, I'm really not quite sure what to make of this team. They've had more success than the team of Matt Morgan and Abyss for sure but they have the same amount of chemistry (or lack thereof). They haven't been a team for too long so I'm very interested to see where their reign goes. But like you said, I hope this is a short lived team because these two need to be in the main event and not hang out in the tag team division for too long.

Well after some thought, I've come to the conclusion that they are not a legit team. They will team for a few months before breaking up. The only reason they even have the Gold is probably to get it off the Brits and possibly onto another team, only after Morgan and Hernandez begin to feud with each other.

After seeing Hernandez earn a spot in the tournament, I believe Morgan will gain a spot too, so clearly, this is just a thrown together team to hold the belts until the next team is ready to hold them. Hopefully it's the Motor City Machine Guns.

This makes no sense to me. You have a bunch of great tag teams in TNA and you have two "top" singles wrestlers as the tag team champs!? I could understand if this was WWE where they don't push their "real" tag teams but you have plently of worthy tag teams who can hold the straps. Beer Money comes first to mind. The best tag team in the business and 1. they aren't on TV and 2. they don't have the belts. British Invasion, 3D, MCMG, Truth or Consequences (that might be stretching it) and even the Nasty Boys are just some of the other quality tag teams that deserve the belts more than Hernandez and Morgan. Plus, both men are in the tournament this Sunday on PPV! I just wonder why TNA is thinking like WWE when it comes to tag teams.

I agree, it does seem like a WWE move. I assumed that happened because Morgan and Hernandez both got these huge pushes. They got pushed too fast and the next step would be world title matches, but neither are ready to be world champs. TNA management realized this and as a way to curb their main event push without burying them, they put them in the tag team division. Thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

I too don't understand these two getting the tag titles. I guess deep down inside I just hope and dream for Konnan and Homicide to run out during one of their matches and attack Morgan. Then have Hernandez do the obvious heel turn and reunite LAX. I know this will never happen for me, but it would be awesome. You would be making the "old school" TNA fans happy AND LAX is awesome which would entertain the new fans.

Back in reality, I know for the last 6 months or so they've been trying to push Hernandez and Morgan but honestly, what they are doing is NOT working. Hell, it'd be best to take one of the two off TV for a while and then bring em back fresh one by one and have them destroy some people.

and even the Nasty Boys are just some of the other quality tag teams that deserve the belts more than Hernandez and Morgan.

As much as I would personally hate the Nasty Boys having the belts, it would be worth it to watch all the smarks' heads blow up on msg boards for months. :lmao:

Because they have nothing for them and haven't done for a very long time but they want to keep them looking legit so need to put some gold on both of them and the easiest way is to have them sharing the tag team titles.

We have seen every combination of Beer Money, Team 3D, the British Invasion and MCMG at some point so in the short term this allows them to freshen things up. When a window opens up for them they'll drop the straps and move on and then one of the real teams will take them.

And also, Beer Money are not the best team in the business, that would be the American Wolves. However in fairness, Beer Money got the biggest crowd reaction I've ever seen for a tag team when I saw them live.

For me it is a typical Hogan/Bischoff move. They did the same with the X Division. They have put the belts on a wrestler who like the "look" of and put them on top of the division. I think it is a shame that they cannot think of anything for two workers as good as Hernandez and Morgan and also that the tag reign comes at the expense of the Brits' reign, which had barely got going.

There are usually four reasons why a make-shift tag carries the gold.

1) An over-ruling power wants the two to exert dominance... (See Austin/HHH)
2) Two face wrestlers are feuding with those two dominant wrestlers individually and beat them for the titles (Jericho/Benoit)
3) The tag-team division is weak. (See DX)
4) Creative doesn't know what to do with two guys they're high on...

I think Morgan/Hernandez fit in the 4th category. I don't think TNA knows what to do with these guys. They have great looks ... some
good potential ... but i think TNA writers are at a loss as to why these guys don't get more reaction from the crowd.

The easiest thing to do is to put the tag straps on them. Even though there are better tag teams, this allows Morgan and Hernandez to remain relevent while creative puts together something better for them.

To answer the question, no friggin' clue. It made no sense to me why TNA would break up LAX only to stick Hernandez back in the tag team division with Matt Morgan of all people. And this isn't the first time we've seen Morgan in a make shift tag team with someone he has absolutely no chemistry with... *cough* Abyss. *cough* But then again, in the two years I've watched TNA, I can't say much of TNA's booking makes much sense. These two were riding a great wave of momentum on the road to last year's Bound for Glory event but then shortly after that, I got confused as these two began teaming with D'angelo Dinero and Suicide. The only thing I can see coming out of these two teaming up is them losing the tag titles to an established tag team (hopefully the Motor City Machineguns), blaming one another for the loss, and then feuding with each other.

I would agree with others that TNA didn't know what to do with them, so they gave them the tag titles. But the PPV gives TNA an opportunity to change things. As you mentioned, Morgan and Hernandez face off in the tournament. So one wins, and then a week or 2 later on Impact, they have to defend the titles. The guy that lost @ the PPV can walk out on his partner, turning heel and costing the team the titles. I think Morgan should turn heel, he has a good arrogance that could play well as a heel. I guess they could turn Hernandez heel, but then they'd probably have to go with some sort of anti-American angle, and since Hernandez turned down World Elite, that wouldn't really make sense. This is what I hope happens, but I don't know what Hogan/Bischoff are thinking.

I don't know why they have the belts but I have a feeling their reign is coming to an end. With them both having a match against one another in the first round of the 8 Card Stud they could be soon facing each other insted of teaming with each other. I think they will lose the belts to possibly Beer Money soon.

The only real reason that springs to mind is just for giving Hernandez and Matt Morgan something to do and keep them on television. Both Hogan and Dixie Carter are said to be big fans of these two and, based on what I've seen thus far, it's entirely possible that these two are going to have a do nothing run with the tag titles much like The British Invasion and Booker T & Steiner before them had.

Matt Morgan did look to be on the fast track to the world title, or at least within the main event scene for a while but his push just stopped cold after having a match with Kurt Angle at a ppv. Putting Hernandez back into a tag team have rendered virtually everything TNA has done with him for the past 6 months as little more than a waste of time. They break up one of the better teams in TNA, do nothing with one while building the other as a singles wrestler, only to put the latter back into another tag team while bringing his singles run to a sudden stop.

I don't really expect this team to last too long or to stay on top. Historically speaking, very few big men teams are able to sustain momentum and remain relevant for long.

My guess is that it's a lazy move by Russo to keep them on TV. I don't think they're the worst tag team, they are a credible super tag team, but I don't see why 2 men who do well as singles wrestlers should be paired. If I booked TNA, I would put the belts on the Motor City Machineguns and turn them tweener and have them hold onto the belts anyway they can for a long time.

I think Hernandez and Morgan got put into a tag team to become champs because there was nothing else for them to do storyline-wise. The main event is turning into a cluster-mess with so many potential main eventers. TNA want to push both Morgan and Hernandez but there was simply not enough room to include them in the main event scene. One could argue that a "true" tag team should be the tag team champs, but this reign could be decent. They got the belts off the British Invasion who were doing next to nothing as tag champs, so that's a plus. The two of them will inevitably lose the belts to another team, feud with each other, then go on to better things. Morgan will move back to the main event, Hernandez I'm not sure about. Even if this is a random tag team instead of a "true" tag team, having these guys as the tag team champions doesn't bother me as much because it's better than them doing nothing. TNA made Morgan and Hernandez the tag champs so that they would have something to do before moving on to more relevant storylines.

This makes no sense to me. You have a bunch of great tag teams in TNA and you have two "top" singles wrestlers as the tag team champs!? I could understand if this was WWE where they don't push their "real" tag teams but you have plently of worthy tag teams who can hold the straps. Beer Money comes first to mind. The best tag team in the business and 1. they aren't on TV and 2. they don't have the belts. British Invasion, 3D, MCMG, Truth or Consequences (that might be stretching it) and even the Nasty Boys are just some of the other quality tag teams that deserve the belts more than Hernandez and Morgan. Plus, both men are in the tournament this Sunday on PPV! I just wonder why TNA is thinking like WWE when it comes to tag teams.

I completely agree with ya. The Guns, in my opinion, are the most worthy of the belts. i was so excited when they got the title shot, and I got super pissed the second Beer Money entered that match. I knew the guns weren't gonna win from that point, and they just like disappeared for the last 10 min.

Don't get me wrong, I love Beer Money too, but MMG are my boys, and they had a spectacular match with BI, and should have won, and didn't. And I guess that was the end of their push.

Now, I think either the Guns or Generation Me (they should still be the Young Bucks) should win the titles from Morgan and Hernandez and MMG and Generation Me should have at least a two month feud over them, because those two teams can put on some AMAZING matches together. That's what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back