Missed Opportunity for Night of Champions?

rickfoxoclock

Dark Match Winner
I searched through the forum but didn't find anything relating to my topic. if the thread needs to be moved then by all means do what you must.

I just got done watching the first part of CSR and it got me thinking about CM Punk's storyline and the PPV structure. we all know that Punk is resigned and he's back for summerslam and a match with John Cena. my feelings are that he was brought back way too soon and i know that's a debate for another thread but with Night of Champions next month, i feel that WWE has missed a great chance at creating another magical PPV moment. If they had allowed Cena to be crowned WWE champion and go through Summerslam like Punk never existed and Punk did his own thing for two months, it would have lended a lot of credibility to his being gone and when he would have returned for September's PPV it would be actually created a massive Champion vs. Champion match at the night to showcase Champions. i understand if my bias in feeling that Punk was brought back too early sways opinion to this stance but i can't help but feel it makes a lot more sense than what we are seeing planned now.

with all that being said, i want to ask the Wrestlezone Universe what they feel on three questions that are kind of bugging me right now.

1. Do you agree or disagree that Punk's return for Night of Champions would have made much more sense then what we are seeing now?

2. Do you think WWE missed the chance at creating another great PPV moment at Night of Champions or do you think WWE panicked and tried capitolizing on Punk's popularity too soon?

3. What are your feelings on Punk being rumored to face HHH or Jericho or Austin at future PPV's? Do you think WWE feels Punk needs to go over one of those Icons to gain credibility?

i'm sorry for the long post guys. i know long posts normally get shafted pretty quickly but the Wrestlezone Forums are the only wrestling forums i go on because the responses are respectable for the most part and they normally lead to great debate and reflection on the current product. I'm hoping this generates some good debate going forward. have at it guys.

Well lets see rickfoxoclock(odd name) but to the thread your basically asking the same things in your first and second questions and your third question basically has nothing to do with the thread. You have to look at it like this Summerslam is the wwe's second biggest pay per view of the year. Your gonna keep the hottest guy in the business right now off the second biggest ppv of the year? I don't think so that's why Punk was brought back so soon. I think if it was any other B ppv then Punk would of probably been kept off tv a little longer.

I kind of agree, I think that would have made a great main event for Night of Champions. Punk could have made his return at Summerslam, after Cena competed against a different challenger. If they teased it right, that would have made for a big sales jump for Summerslam. Then they could have built to a match at NOC. Of course, there is the possibility that the SS match will not end conclusively and we will still get a title settling match at NOC.

First of all, I agree whole heartedly with this thread. I naturally assumed that they were going to keep Punk off tv at least until after Summerslam when a new champion had been crowned. Then the old champion, Punk, returns after Summerslam and sets up a "who is the real champion" match for Night Of Champions. It's so obvious yet WWE missed it.

1. Do you agree or disagree that Punk's return for Night of Champions would have made much more sense then what we are seeing now? 2. Do you think WWE missed the chance at creating another great PPV moment at Night of Champions or do you think WWE panicked and tried capitolizing on Punk's popularity too soon?

If this same situation arose in the 90's, Punk never would have returned so soon. The talent roster was so deep back then that you could afford to keep a hot commodity like Punk off of tv for a lengthy period of time. But now they have to rush him back because his storyline is the only interesting thing they have going for them. Once upon a time an angle could be stretched out over months at a time. The situation between Punk and Cena is identical to Shawn and Razor in 93. Shawn left in the fall of 93 after being stripped of the IC title, then Razor won the vacant belt in a battle royal. Eventually Shawn returned, but they still didnt settle the question of who was the real champion until Wrestlemania X. In all, the Shawn-Razor saga lasted from September 93-March 94. Punk-Cena on the other hand will be wrapped up in a matter of weeks. You just dont see long term angles anymore. Its the same with injury angles. Back in the day Ricky Steamboat would get DDT'd on the floor and be out for months. Now a guy jumps off a ladder through a flaming table and he's right back up moments later. In the 80's and 90's an injury like that could have been stretched out for months. Not anymore. I guess people dont have the attention span for it. Either that, or wrestling bookers just dont think long term anymore.

3. What are your feelings on Punk being rumored to face HHH or Jericho or Austin at future PPV's? Do you think WWE feels Punk needs to go over one of those Icons to gain credibility?

Austin vs Punk sounds awesome. But I worry that it could kill Punks popularity. He's getting over now, but put him next to Austin and whatever support he had goes out the window because everyone would just be excited to see Austin back. See Rock vs Hogan from 2002. Still, it would be a nice Wrestlemania photo op. Just not sure if Punk would gain from it.

As for HHH, I just dont want to see him wrestle anyone ever again. Not a fan. I'm getting worried with how involved he's becoming in WWE programming again. I just don't want to see roided up Triple H bury another guy on the cusp of greatness.

Jericho is the best fit as far as Im concerned. Punk needs a breakout Wrestlemania match much like Austin had back in 1997 against Bret. Jericho, to me, is the best guy to play the role of Bret to Punk's Austin.

1. Do you agree or disagree that Punk's return for Night of Champions would have made much more sense then what we are seeing now?

In a way yes, I do agree due to the fact that NOC is the showcase of champions so deciding who the Undisputed WWE Champion would fit perfectly there but on the other hand SummerSlam is apart of the BIG 4 PPVs so having Punk off the card would probably lead to less ppvs buys OR the WWE just got scared and jumped the gun.

2. Do you think WWE missed the chance at creating another great PPV moment at Night of Champions or do you think WWE panicked and tried capitolizing on Punk's popularity too soon?

As I said before the WWE probably got scared and pulled the trigger to quick without aiming it for a proper bull's-eye.

I would rather him face Jericho because IMO this has the makings of a great match. Promo and wrestling wise. The reason for that is,
Jericho v Punk ; Anything can happen.
Austin v Punk ; Most likely Punk will win so it's too predictable.
HHH v Punk ; Same thing as Austin v Punk it's a little too predictable...

As for the WWE feeling that Punk might need to go over one of these icons, mhmmmm I don't know :shrug: but ANYTHING can happen...in life of course but for the WWE not so much :p .

I see what youre saying but I think it's better for them to have a match at Summerslam. Summerslam is traditionally a bigger show than NOC and therefore is a larger forum for this match. It would be a great match regardless but a Summerslam main event is bigger than a NOC main event typically.

As for Punk facing HHH, Jericho, or Austin IDK. I think the build for Punk/HHH could be Austin/McMahon-esque which would be great to see. Punk and Jericho would be a classic wrestling match. Punk and Austin would be right up there with Rock/Cena if not bigger since Austin is Austin. Personally I would like to see the Punk/HHH buildup and match but I don't think Punk NEEDS to face icons. I think if he can beat Cena a few times and keep the title that would be more than enough to solidify him as a major player in the WWE.

I agree he was brought back to soon i think when he signed wwe should of had him do more things like going on talk shows and selling that he's never coming back then as a big surprise have him come back for night of champions and have misterio have a rematch at summer slam maybe to turn cena heel as for cm punk vs HHH or jericho or austin i would prefer it be austin over HHH or jericho i think jericho and HHH need to be kept for wrestlemania but i think austin the guy who drinks all the time vs the straight edge superstar would be the best way to go

I agree with the coming back too soon part. If anything, Have the Title Tournament over a few weeks. Have the final at Summerslam. Have Punk attack the winner at the end, say its Rey. It stretchs out the storyline even more. Night of Champions, Rey vs Cena. Punk can sit at ringside, end of the match he can jump the rail like Raw, setting up for Survivor Series Champion vs Champion. They rush it WAYYYY too much now. Slow developing storylines can work.

Well since Summer Slam is the 2nd biggest ppv of the year I think it would be kind of stupid to put it off until some third tier ppv that no one is going to buy. If I were Punk, I'd want to work a main event match with Cena at Summer Slam. And what exactly has been rushed? If he had waited to come back he'd have no legit claim to the WWE title. The storyline is we have two champions, so considering that is the story I believe the timing has been perfect.

Well this is an easy answer! WWE wants Cena vs Punk for there second biggest event of the year! After saying that........ Do i agree with you? Completely!

You are absolutely right! it would make for much better TV if Punk was kept out of the picture a lil longer but if you think about it......... Alot of people would be bitching if Punk wasn't there for summerslam!

So i agree with you that it would be great for NOC but i also understand WWE's move making it happen at SS

I Disagree. I believe by that time Punk would have lost a lot, maybe too much, steam. I understand that WWE wants Punk vs Cena for SummerSlam. Hell, it's SUMMERSLAM. It's gonna be tough for them to mach the caliber of their previous match but I don't think this match will have a clean ending. SummerSlam is simply a Bigger Pay-Per-Veiw, so they want the bigger money-drawer which is Punk versus Cena.

No. WWE knew all along when they were going to bring back Punk as soon as he resigned. If it were up to me, I would have the Tourney run the way it did, and have John Cena vs Rey Mysterio for the WWE title at SummerSlam, and after that match have CM Punk come out. But I think they way they did it is fine and overall the decision will probably be better for business.

Punk doesn't Need to gain credibility, He needs to keep it. And that's what a victory over one of these guys would provide. It would be more of a solidifying thing than him gaining credibility. Punk is on top of the world where he is right now, he just has to be careful not to fall, or get pushed down, and that's what a loss to HHH, Jericho or Austin would do. If a match were booked, they only person I see CM Punk dropping a match to would be Triple H. But He should go over in matches between Jericho and Stone Cold.

Really good answers everybody. the discusssion here has definitely done exactly what i was hoping it would do and based off everyone's answers another question struck me. everyone is claiming that Summerslam is the second biggest PPV of the year and that it needs Punk vs. Cena for buyrates and that NOC is not worth that type of main event or that it would be wasted there cause no one buys that PPV. i can understand that arguement but wouldn't you agree that any decent Cena vs. anyone towards Summerslam would generate ok buy rates? if it's the second biggest PPV it should have a built in audience that's going to buy it just because of the name. i just feel that if WWE is really trying to change up booking or shift power in the back somehow it would have been nice to let the storyline drag a bit and maybe have the WWE Title Tournament at Summerslam. Have all the contenders bicker who has a rightful claim and just build good to average fueds going into the PPV. For some reason I am seeing a KOTR style PPV but at Summerslam. I think it would have generated just as many buy rates as Punk Vs. Cena and you'd have the added bonus of Punk closing the show from the stands with his belt raised high. Your thoughts?

I do think Punk's return should've been later, but at SummerSlam not NOC. If he returned at SS then it would've still gave him time to do interviews, go on talk shows etc. Also he would've still been relevant whereas if he returned at NOC he wouldn't of been so relevant in my opinion because there's only a certain amount of media things you can do.

I think they did panic and brought him back because of the week prior had low ratings or a lot lower than what Vince wanted and they knew if they brought Punk back the ratings would be higher. But again I think WWE should've brought him back at SS. Have the Cena Vs Mysterio match at SS then do what they did on Raw and have Punk return and then you've got a special moment at SS and at NOC there would be another special moment because it would be champion vs champion match. So there's 3 PPV's in a row with speacial moments.

Well I think I want to see him feud with Trips next and make that last until Royal Rumble (yes, it can stay fresh until then). Then have the dream storyline between Punk and Austin for WM. I don't know if I want him to feud with Jericho because I honestly think it would be a step down for Punk. I think it has to be Punk going over in all three feuds, all three of them have had a great career already so it's only fair that they put Punk over and have him have a great career.

1. No I disagree, SUMMERSLAM made the more sense being the second biggest show of the year. Night of champions has failed as PPV so far, I can't remember ANY matches that occured at these shows.

2. No, SUMMERSLAM needs some BIG, HUGE moments and this is one of them and if Cena/Punk can replicate their MITB match then power to them.

3. If their willing to put Punk over cool. HHH DOESN'T need the win, nor does Jericho/Austin.

Ok let's stop all this missed opportunity bull crap right now!!!

What's the NUMBER 1 RULE with any title belt?

YOU MUST DEFEND IT EVERY 30 DAYS!!!!

See where I am getting at yet with that?

Which means if Punk was off WWE TV for more then 30 days, he loses all credibility calling himself WWE Champion and any ideas anyone has and thinks should of happened automatically is thrown in the trash....BECAUSE Punk would of had to forfeit the title.

1. (And 2 I Guess!) Agree.
It sort of seemed like Punk was going to take the Title and go away for a while and stew whilst things went on as if nothing happened. I think that what they should have done is make SummerSlam deliberately crap and have CM Punk come back the night after SummerSlam and take the angle of “PPV’s are only great when I’m in the main event”. Then they could have had Punk win the unification match at NOC and have this rivalry continue for a while! But instead Cena’s going to win the title at SummerSlam and keep the title until at least after Mania!

3. I don’t feel Punk needs to gain credibility as he already has it, however if he can prove that he can beat the best such as Jericho and Austin they I wouldn’t complain at the chance to see those matches! As for HHH, he could have a feud with the boss over the way things are run and such, forcing a match between HHH and it being a great match. But as I said although I would love to see those matches I don’t feel Punk has anything left to prove and doesn’t need to get over with the fans.

even if Punk had to forfeit the title for not defending it in 30 days, i'm not sure he still wouldn't be recognized as the True champion. granted the situations were different but Michaels had to give up the IC belt which led to a pretty epic champion vs. champion bout against Razor Ramon. i know it's a very, very loose comparison but one that does at least show precedence of a champion losing the belt and still staking a rightful claim at never have lost it to anyone. good point though, i hadn't really thought about the 30 day defend clause. along those lines i just had the idea that Punk could have defended it someway against someone and kept it. i know it's applying loose logic to a pretty definite problem but it's a quick response to the problem posed.

everyone forgets, they had a main event all planned for SummerSlam and never realized it - the crowning of a new WWE champ. make the tourney more than an 8-man, 1 night evert - make it last the month with the final 2 meeting at SummerSlam for the title. you could have then had Punk return that night(or better, the next night) and run the exact same story leading into Night of Champions. the only reason why it doesn't seem like a big deal is because wwe has made it that there is a title defence every ppv - it is standard now so people get bored. but that could have easily been the main event and a good one. i agree that it is a missed opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back