Mike Killam's Spam-filled Video Game Journal

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Recently I promised Dagger that I would start playing through Final Fantasy VII again. I started a thread about it, but then went away for a week, and now I'm busy preparing to move across the country. I decided I'm a big fan of the spam sections, and I like posting my thoughts on all the random video games I'm playing. So rather than fill the GSD with useless threads about my playthroughs of Bastion, Limbo and other indie games none of you give a shit about, I decided to just throw it all into one big thread.

Feel free to comment away to your hearts content, but be warned: I WILL NOT HOLD BACK SPOILERS UNLESS A GAME IS RELATIVELY NEW!! That is your first and only warning - don't come crying to me because I ruined the ending to Final Fantasy VII for you. My general rule of thumb is that if a game/movie/show is more than ~6-8 months old, people should be allowed to talk about it freely without surrounding every other post with spoiler tags. There are general exceptions to this - the reveal of the Prestige, the end of Fight Club, who Ted marries in How I Met Your Mother, etc etc - but in general it's not my responsibility to make sure everyone has played every single game in the world.

I'm really bad at playing a game straight through, so don't expect a hell of a lot of continuity. I'll probably skip around a lot, but I'll do my best to refer to past posts and keep things straight, if for no other reason than to refresh my own failing memory (too much weed..?).

Note: If a mod wants to move that FFVII journal in here, go for it. If you want to trash it, or just let it die, that's fine as well. I'm going to be playing through it at some point in the near future, but I think I'll just wait until I'm done moving.

supermeatboy.jpg

First up, Super Meat Boy. I picked this gem up from the Steam Summer sale for $3. I don't know if I would have paid full price for it, but at 75% off it was pretty damn hard to pass up.

For those of you who haven't played it, it's basically a 2D platformer...from hell. You play as a small sack of meat - and I mean that in all manors of literal - chasing after an equally small... erm, damsel in distress? I'm not really sure what she is, but she keeps getting punched in the face by some douchebag with a Mysterio complex (the Spiderman villain, not the master of the 619). The game is pleasantly artsy with a killer soundtrack to keep you pumped from start to finish.

At the moment I'm about 80 minutes into playing the game, and I've cleared almost the first two worlds. It's a bastard of a game, because they lure you into this false sense of ability by starting things out at a slow, steady pace. The first couple of levels you breeze past in 10 seconds or less. Then they start throwing in a few challenges, forcing you to think just outside the edges of the box and get the hang of the controls. About ten minutes in and you're having a lot of fun, really enjoy the slow climb to a harder difficulty.

And then...out of nowhere the game sticks its giant rod into your no-no square.

Some levels are easier than others, but you'll spend at least 30-40 times replaying some of the brain-exploding levels that require a god-like sense of precision and timing. It will drive you mad, but the most frustrating thing will undoubtedly be your will to keep going! No matter how many times you scream "GOD DAMMIT!" as you jump into the same set of spinning blades, you'll keep coming back for more. You'll curse yourself and promise that it was the last time, right before hitting that replay button (actually there is no replay...it just cleverly starts you over).

My favorite thing about the game is that when you finally do beat a level, it shows a replay of each of your lives stacked into one video. It's essentially a timeline of your meat being slaughtered all over the screen... Yeah, I said it. It almost makes the hundreds of deaths you'll experience in just a short period of time worth it. Almost.

The game is infuriating. You'll rub the sides of your thumbs raw by spamming the space bar. It is the ultimate game for masochists, and despite all I've said about it thus far, I highly recommend it.

It's Pokemon Conquest time! I picked this up for my upcoming trip to Portland (we're driving) because it looked interesting and I've been dying for a entry in the Pokemon world that wasn't business as usual.

So, this is you as a kid. Go ahead and take in the adorableness now.

images

After playing about 20 minutes (had to take a big poop) this is what I've gathered:
-You're the new Lord of some village, with a name that sounds generally Pokemon-eese
-There's some bullshit Japanese legend about how if a Lord collects, erm...captures, erm... invades and/or takes over each of the villages in the region, a legendary creature will appear. Seems like your standard collect 'em all thing with a new twist. Pokemon's moral ambiguity at its best...
-You start with an Eevee. Not only am I a huge fan of normal Pokemon, but I'm a bigger fan of the incredibly universal Eevee. I'm not sure if the standard evolutionary paths are present here, and if they are which generations are included, but we'll see how it goes.
-It seems each party member (you can take on more, like any Tactics-based game) has a single Pokemon that they grow closer to over the course of the game, which somehow increases their stats.
-Each Pokemon only has one move, which I was originally disappointed with. However, they also have unique Abilities that automatically trigger given the right circumstances. For instance, Eevee can move again after a successful attack. There are also Warrior abilities, where your character can aid the battlefield in their unique ways. My main character grants extra movement, which is hella helpful for Eevee.
-There's some annoying chick with a Jigglypuff, whose soul job it seems, is to hold your hand and explain the intricate details of gameplay. It's not as bad as Pokemon Black/White's opening hour of coddling, because this is new for the series.
-There also some douche that looks like the unholy bastard son of Loki and Mokuba from Yugioh. He leads some sort of gang of asshatery:

NenesChildren.png

So far, this is actually quite fun. Looking forward to the various party members and trying to see how the game evolves.

Feel free to comment away to your hearts content, but be warned: I WILL NOT HOLD BACK SPOILERS UNLESS A GAME IS RELATIVELY NEW!! That is your first and only warning - don't come crying to me because I ruined the ending to Final Fantasy VII for you. My general rule of thumb is that if a game/movie/show is more than ~6-8 months old, people should be allowed to talk about it freely without surrounding every other post with spoiler tags. There are general exceptions to this - the reveal of the Prestige, the end of Fight Club, who Ted marries in How I Met Your Mother, etc etc - but in general it's not my responsibility to make sure everyone has played every single game in the world.
[/I]

That's bullshit really, people don't play games straight away. Quite often 2 or 3 come out at the same time so they pick one, sometimes they don't have the console until later on.

Also you do realise that Pokemon conquest is a crossover gamer with Nobunaga's Ambition which was originally released in the 80s? Before Yugioh was released? Just checking.

That's bullshit really, people don't play games straight away. Quite often 2 or 3 come out at the same time so they pick one, sometimes they don't have the console until later on.

Fair enough. I will concede to put major plot spoilers in spoiler text. But isn't it annoying when you're trying to have a conversation with your friends, but there's that ONE guy in the group that hasn't seen the Dark Knight Rises yet?

Also you do realise that Pokemon conquest is a crossover gamer with Nobunaga's Ambition which was originally released in the 80s? Before Yugioh was released? Just checking.
No, I actually did not realize that. Because I've been out of the Nintendo/DS market for so long I didn't do a whole lot of research into the game before playing it. I'll check it out though, thanks.

To be honest it's one of those game series' that got one or two in the West but hundreds in Japan. That's why it's turn based strategy.

In your opinion, is it something worth checking out? I'm a fan of RTS and Tactics-based games, so if you think its that good I might see if there's any of it on Steam or download some of the SEGA classics and emulate them.

I do that all the time, it's TBS not RTS, sorry.

I've briefly played the first game but that was years ago so I couldn't really give an opinion on it.

supermeatboy.jpg

First up, Super Meat Boy. I picked this gem up from the Steam Summer sale for $3. I don't know if I would have paid full price for it, but at 75% off it was pretty damn hard to pass up.

For those of you who haven't played it, it's basically a 2D platformer...from hell. You play as a small sack of meat - and I mean that in all manors of literal - chasing after an equally small... erm, damsel in distress? I'm not really sure what she is, but she keeps getting punched in the face by some douchebag with a Mysterio complex (the Spiderman villain, not the master of the 619). The game is pleasantly artsy with a killer soundtrack to keep you pumped from start to finish.

At the moment I'm about 80 minutes into playing the game, and I've cleared almost the first two worlds. It's a bastard of a game, because they lure you into this false sense of ability by starting things out at a slow, steady pace. The first couple of levels you breeze past in 10 seconds or less. Then they start throwing in a few challenges, forcing you to think just outside the edges of the box and get the hang of the controls. About ten minutes in and you're having a lot of fun, really enjoy the slow climb to a harder difficulty.

And then...out of nowhere the game sticks its giant rod into your no-no square.

Some levels are easier than others, but you'll spend at least 30-40 times replaying some of the brain-exploding levels that require a god-like sense of precision and timing. It will drive you mad, but the most frustrating thing will undoubtedly be your will to keep going! No matter how many times you scream "GOD DAMMIT!" as you jump into the same set of spinning blades, you'll keep coming back for more. You'll curse yourself and promise that it was the last time, right before hitting that replay button (actually there is no replay...it just cleverly starts you over).

My favorite thing about the game is that when you finally do beat a level, it shows a replay of each of your lives stacked into one video. It's essentially a timeline of your meat being slaughtered all over the screen... Yeah, I said it. It almost makes the hundreds of deaths you'll experience in just a short period of time worth it. Almost.

The game is infuriating. You'll rub the sides of your thumbs raw by spamming the space bar. It is the ultimate game for masochists, and despite all I've said about it thus far, I highly recommend it.

You play this without a controller? You're a better man than I could ever hope to be.

I do that all the time, it's TBS not RTS, sorry.
DAMNIT! Why do I always do that!?

You play this without a controller? You're a better man than I could ever hope to be.
I'm not a big fan of playing games on the PC with a controller. I feel like we're probably past the age where console elitism is acceptable, but there's just something about the feel of a d-pad rubbing against my guitar-string-calloused fingertips that just makes me shudder, as I watch my tiny sack of meat scurrying across a death-riddled platform.

If I want to play a game with a controller, I'll get it for PS3. If it's not out for a console, it was likely made to be used with my keyboard and mouse. No big deal, to each their own.

If I want to play a game with a controller, I'll get it for PS3. If it's not out for a console, it was likely made to be used with my keyboard and mouse. No big deal, to each their own.

Super Meat Boy isn't on PS3 nor will it ever be.

LittleBigPlanet-Karting_thumb.jpg

I turned on my PS3 today, and to my surprise had the open BETA for LittleBigPlanet Karting sitting in my Games folder. I've spent about 20 minutes with the game - likely all I'm gonna get, because I've got to pack up my PS3 tonight - and it's SO good.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a big fan of karting games. That's not to say I like ALL racing games, because I'm not a big fan of the Gran Turismo or any games in the NASCAR genre. But the more off-the-wall games I can get really into. Burnout Revenge is still one of my all-time favorite games. I'm also a big fan of the LBP series and style of art, so when I heard they were working on a crossover with the developers of ModNation Racers I got really excited.

It turns out the two lend a whole lot to each other. Both series are well-known for their customization, and while the BETA was fairly limited I can already see there's going to be a lot of replay value with the full game. LBP's cardboard art style is present in the karts and some of misc. stuff in the scenery, as is ModNation's style of racetrack. From the few levels I played, the design was both fun and crisp and I'm excited to see more.

The gameplay is really smooth. At the very beginning the game throws you into a tutorial and asks whether you want to use 'X' or 'R2' for your acceleration. Which you don't choose becomes your jump/drift button. It lets you play around with both before making up your mind, and you can go into the options and change it any any point if you so choose. Everything else is pretty standard. Triangle looks behind you, square fires your weapons, and L2 hits the breaks. There's not much that either deviates, nor is missing from the standard karting experience. If you're bored by the genre, than maybe that's not really a good thing. But personally, I feel games in the Mario Kart vein aren't likely to improve on the controls any, so the lack of change here really doesn't bother me.

When you go to select a level - which is presented in classic LBP overworld - it will ask you if you want to play with others currently playing the level. This allows you to seemlessly switch in and out of online multiplayer. My favorite part is it will throw you into the level even if there's another race going on, allowing you to watch the action until it comes to a stop. After that there is a (max) one minute period where the game finds other people to join you, during which you can drive around to get a feel for the level, or go into your HUD and edit your character or kart. This was a really simple addition, but it's one that I think is brilliant for the entire genre.

The weapons are pretty much what you'd expect. There's rockets and mines and things that make you faster, or others slower. Typical karting stuff. That being said, they were very obvious about the fact it was in BETA, so there may very well be more added on later. In a fun twist, the little experience/point orbs from the LBP series are scattered all around the track. Once a player gets them, they are gone for good. These add to your total score, which I believe will start unlocking fun items and things to add to your character, kart, or even the world you want to build.

Yes, the famous level creator for ModNation is present in this game. In fact, it looks like they took ModNation, removed everything I didn't like about it, and made the game a hell of a lot more fun by inserting one of Sony's more endearing characters. It is both fully-operations karting experience, and your lovable LBP experience, hand-crafted into one great game. In the small amount of time I spent with it, I got really excited. While the fun of playing as your favorite Nintendo characters in Mario Kart has been great for well over a decade, the potentially to play a whole new experience, with unique characters every single time you log on is really interesting to me.

If you've got a PS3 and access to PS+, and in any way like the karting genre or the LBP series, I strongly urge you to check this game out.

YES! Vita patch 1.8 just dropped and PSone classics play is (finally!) available!!

You know what that means Dagger! As promised, I will play through FFVII, and write a bunch of shit on it here.

You're welcome.

D-Man recently convinced me that Final Fantasy 8 is the best Final Fantasy game ever. I've never played a Final Fantasy game, but given that I think he's smarter than Killam and Dagger, I'm inclined to believe him.

Don't worry Killam, I don't think you're dumb, I just think D-Man is smarter. Dagger on the other hand...

I was on the side arguing against FFVII as the greatest game ever. And you'll get no argument from me that D-Man is smarter. Or at least, more witty. If nothing else, he's at least 3x more malevolent.

I forgot this thread existed. Maybe I should use it.

In the last month I've played:

Sound Shapes - Incredibly fun and clever platformer for the PS3/VITA. If you buy it on one, you get it for the other, so that was nice. For $15 it's worth it for the level creator and all that you can use it for, if you're smart enough and into that kind of ingenuity. Time spent playing: ~2 hours

Counter Strike GO - It's certainly Counter Strike, but much prettier. I like that it's online play is much easier to navigate and operate. Time spent playing: ~6 hours

Borderlands 2 - I've barely begun to scratch the surface, but so far...well, it's Borderlands. Only better. TSP: ~2 hours

Final Fantasy VII - As promised, I continued my quest through the most iconic Square game of all time. I had to start over, as my 2 hour file save wasn't enough to bother me to transfer my date from PS3 to VITA in the middle of the night. I just caught up to where I was, so...I'll update that soon. Maybe. If I keep playing. TSP: ~2.5 hours

Pokemon Fire Red - Yeah...I've spent way too much time reliving this game recently. Finding PokeMMO was a bad idea TSP: ~10 hours

And now...I'm about to dig into LittleBigPlanet VITA. This is one of my highly anticipated games of Q3, and I'm hella excited to hear good ole' Stephen Fry narrate my journey as Sackboy one more time. I'll let you know how it is.

I've done close to 24 hours on my third play through of Black version this month. Doing it with the water starter, and I'm dropping him and doing a full team of dragons to beat the E4 for the second time. Dragonite, Haxorus, Altaria, Magikarp *need to evolve* Zweilous *still evolving*, and most likely a legendary dragion.

Nintendo is silly. They'd sell a lot of 3DS's if they didn't give fans the option of buying B&W2 on the old DS. I was actually planning on buying one, simply to play the new Pokemon game. But Nintendo gave me a $200 out, and I'm taking it. By the time the next generation comes out, they'll probably have a newer system.

On a side note, I've been really thinking about getting a 3DS XL... The size fixed all my problems with the DS-3DS; my hands just kept cramping up from extended use. The XL is so much more comfortable!

Now Playing: LittleBigPlanet VITA

Turned on my VITA, installed the game and did all the necessary updates. I made it through the intro level, and I'm about to embark on the real "level 1" of LBPV. I've always loved the LBP games for the brilliance of their intro levels. Not only is a gorgeous way of deliving opening credits, but at the same time it teaches you the basic controls of the game without being in your face or obnoxious about it. And Stephen Fry. He's a big reason they're awesome.

Nintendo is silly. They'd sell a lot of 3DS's if they didn't give fans the option of buying B&W2 on the old DS. I was actually planning on buying one, simply to play the new Pokemon game. But Nintendo gave me a $200 out, and I'm taking it. By the time the next generation comes out, they'll probably have a newer system.

On a side note, I've been really thinking about getting a 3DS XL... The size fixed all my problems with the DS-3DS; my hands just kept cramping up from extended use. The XL is so much more comfortable!

Poekmon company asked for it to be on the DS because it's an immediate sequel and they didn't want to limit sales.

There will be a pokemon on the 3DS mark my words.

And you'll get no argument from me that D-Man is smarter. Or at least, more witty. If nothing else, he's at least 3x more malevolent.

You poor, deluded fool. You're not smart enough to realise you're smarter than D-Man. Paradox.

Reactions: Lee
People have a Vita?
I know, it's shocking. I got one on launch night, and I don't regret it at all. THere's been some downtime in its use as they come out with games I want to play, but now that both the PSP and PS1 stores are up I have a ridiculous amount of content at my disposal. Persona4 comes out soon too!

Poekmon company asked for it to be on the DS because it's an immediate sequel and they didn't want to limit sales.

There will be a pokemon on the 3DS mark my words.
I guess that makes sense. It's not a terrible idea, but it's also not going to force my hand into buying a 3DS. I have limited funds; buying another system is going to mean more games, and less games for other systems I care about way more. And...I can't use the 3D function anyway. Hurts my eyes. So really I'd only be in it to play more Mario Kart, more Mario platfomrers and a bunch of re-makes I've got on their original system. Not worth it for me right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back