• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mick Foley - Greatest Jobber Ever

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Yes he is. What does a jobber do? He loses matches but makes the other guy look good at the same time. You don't expect him to win, and he rarely does. Mick Foley is the best of all time at doing this. How many times in the TNA threads have we asked who will get the Foley Rub? Many people have. Just to name a few:

Undertaker-A lot of you will think this is wrong, but let's examine this. When you think of Undertaker, what's the most famous moment of his career? Throwing Foley off the Cell. That clip has been played likely more often than any other in the history of the business, and it was Foley that took the fall. It launched Taker back into the main event as he now was a man that would do anything to win.

HHH-People said that HHH wasn't ruthless enough to be a top heel. After he won the world title (beating Foley in the process), his first major singles feud came a few months later against Foley. In the Street Fight at the Rumble and the HIAC match at No Way Out, Foley made HHH look like a god in the ring and the top dog in the company.

Randy Orton-Same thing as HHH but when Orton broke through to the top of the midcard. Back in 2004, Orton just didn't have that big match or feud yet. No one thought he had the guts and the heart to be a big named star. What's the solution? Hardcore match with Foley at Backlash. Foley nearly kills him, but he puts Orton over at the same time, launching Orton to his world title push with him capturing the gold at Summerslam.

Edge-Same as Orton, but two years later. The hardcore match at Wrestlemania made Edge look like he'd do anything to be the best and is one of Edge's defining moments. It put him on a push that carried through the summer, as they stole the show at Wrestlemania 22.

Last but arguably most important,

Austin-When Austin finally got the belt, who was his first feud with? Mick Foley as Dude Love. With the WWF FINALLY winning a round in the Monday Night Wars, who do they trust their top star with? Mick Foley. They put Austin with him and he makes Austin look great, with the crowd at their final match being completely insane with Austin. That match with McMahon as the referee was practically an instruction manual for how to do an Austin match for the rest of his career.

There are others that fit in this list, but it's already a who's who of wrestlers, with Randy Orton being the smallest star. Think about that for a minute. Who has Foley not put over in the late 90s and new millienium? How many times has Foley gone into a match as the favorite? He's a four time world champion, and here's how he won them all:

1st-Beat Rock after Austin hit Rock with a chair.

2nd-Beat Rock in the Empty Arena match, using a forklift to cover Rock.

3rd-Beats Austin and HHH in a triple threat, using a chair.

4th-Beats Sting in a cage match.

His longest title reign-the TNA reign, clocking in at 63 days. Other reigns were 26 days, 20 days and a single day. He is the epitome of a transitional champion, always being given the belt as a shock, and never cleanly beating his opponent in a conventional way. To me, and this is likely a stretch, it makes him look like he can't win the title cleanly.

In conclusion, I ask you to find a single match where Foley was facing an opponent of his caliber where he is the clear favorite, or even on equal footing with them. Mick Foley is a jobber, but the greatest one of all time.

dont forget that he also put the rock over

starting at the '98 survivor series he lost to the rock in finals of the title tournament (rock's 1st title reign) which started a memorable feud that lasted until feb. of '99 which included that match on RAW where tony schiovane of nitro spoiled the outcome of his match vs the rock (foley's 1st title reign), that I Quit match at the rumble, that empty arena match which aired on sunday night heat during halftime of the super bowl, the last man standing match, & ladder match

& we all know what happened when they teamed up together

My knee-jerk reaction would be to disagree, but now I really see your point.

Is it a bad thing that he's a jobber? As a jobber he certainly did well for himself. I'm certainly a huge fan of his, and he has helped many people, multiple times. I agree with the statement "Greatest Jobber Ever". And that should be a honor. He had the respect and business sense to put others over, while still becoming champion.

This is only another reason I'm such a huge Mick Foley fan. He is a good person, a good wrestler, and now the Greatest Jobber Ever.

I don't think you're going to find any argument here, KB. Even Foley has admitted himself that he's fairly a jobber, and that he's never to be the standard bearer for any company at all. And, since has been world champion, it's only fair to say that the guy is the most successful of the jobbers. But hey, with the living he's carved, who honestly cares. The guy doesn't need wins or losses to define his career; the guy's got more memorable moments than some promotions will ever have. Granted, those memorable moments also tend to include him getting the piss knocked out of him, but otherwise, the guy's made a damn good living off of his work, and even if the guy is a obber, who honestly cares? We still love Mick Foley, even if we do know the guy is pretty much a jobber. Doesn't stop him from having one of the best careers in professional wrestling.

Yeah I see what you're onto there KB. I never really looked at him as a jobber until the facts above and I guess I can see him in that status. But, as Tenta said, who honestly cares? And as you said KB, greatest jobber EVER. Mick Foley (jobber or not) has had a great career and a shit load of awesome moments. Mick Foley.... jobber.... I agree.

Good thread there KB. I was honestly going to come in here and try to defend Foley, but honestly, he is a jobber that did it amazingly well. Good thread ;)

Mick Foley > Any other jobber in the history of wrestling

yeah that is hard to not agree with. Foley put over just about every single main eventer from the 90's and some from today who are young. my hat goes off to the man because he is the greatest jobber ever. but that is not bad at all because he made careers doing so. good proof KB.

Yea, I came in here to defend Mrs. Foley's baby boy also, but your absolutely right. Mick Foley will admit, he isn't the most technically sound wrestler in the business. Mick Foley is known best by many as "the guy who got thrown off the cell" But when I think of him, I think of the Orton/Foley feud, and how big a push Orton got from it. But now that I think of it, I can think of one more person. I might be the only one who thinks this, but what about a little guy named as Batista?

So by the time Wrestlemania XX came around, the big names, and at the point, only real names were Flair and Triple H. At the time, Batista and Orton weren't looked at to be big stars, or future hall of Famers for that matter. But when Ric Flair, Dave Batista, and Randy orton faced the rock-n-sock connection in a handicap match, those two young guys were put on the map. Even though the match ended with Orton hitting the RKO on Foley, and getting the pinfall, they both were looked at in a whole new matter.

KB, you know how much I respect I have for your opinions. You’re perhaps the smartest man on these boards, if not up in the higher ranks. However, I’ve been waiting to call bullshit on you for a long time. Not because you’re uninformed, because that’s simply not the case. However, sometimes I feel as though you tend to only scratch the surface of your posts. Let me explain… Sometimes, I feel that you don’t allow yourself to think in depth over the subject you’re posting about, and tend to gloss over that with a somewhat generalized opinion that everyone else has. For example, many people will look on the surface, and without giving much thought, they’ll agree that Mick is the greatest “jobber” ever, because they love Mick Foley. And I love Mick just as much as the next guy, don’t get me wrong. Hell, I even agreed with you in this thread. I didn’t look past the generalized statement, and consequently, chose not to dig any further than I had to.

Now that I have, though, KB… Well, you’re wrong. Mick Foley is, by no means, the greatest jobber ever. Sure, he’s great and all, and is a certain hall of famer. Yeah, he’s a relative jobber. But in regards to being the best jobber in history, I must say that I now completely disagree with that notion.

No, Mick Foley is not the greatest jobber ever… That distinction clearly falls upon this man’s shoulders;

tommydreamer1.jpg

Tommy Dreamer is, indeed, the greatest jobber ever

Yeah, I said it. Tommy Dreamer is indeed the greatest jobber ever, because he plays the role of a jobber so damn well. As a matter of fact, he plays the character so much better than any other wrestler. Including, yes, Mick Foley.

Don’t believe me? Well, let’s take a gander, shall we. First, we’re going to need to break down exactly what it means to be a jobber. What qualifications are we disputing, and what exactly the operational definition of a jobber is. I’ll see if we can get on the same page of the definition I’m throwing out there, and if we’re not, then it’s simply a personal preference. But consider it, KB;

A. Jobbers do not win matches.

And you did a terrific job of outlining Mick’s qualifications here. Mick lost all of the “important” matches. He lost the 1998 Hell in a Cell Match to the Undertaker, as well as his 2000 one with Triple H. He lost the I Quit Match to the Rock. Yep, you name it, and Mankind lost all of the matches we consider important.

But see, here’s the thing, KB… Those matches weren’t nearly as important to Mick as you think…

Crazy? Perhaps, but follow me here.

You see, while Mick did indeed lose those matches, he was also given matches to look credible in. The fact is that Mick was built up in those matches, by having defeated superstars before to remain a credible superstar. I can name, off the top of my head, five memorable Mick Foley victories, in the WWE alone;

1. Summerslam 1996, The Boiler Room Brawl, Undertaker VS. Mankind
2. Summerslam 1997, Cage Match, Triple H VS. Mankind
3. Summerslam 1999, Triple Threat Match, Triple H VS. Stone Cold VS. Mankind (I can’t help but feel as though you might have discussed these matches somewhere…)
4. Raw is War, WWE Title Match, The Rock VS. Mankind
5. King of the Ring, 1996, Undertaker VS. Mankind

Sure, Mick’s most important contribution to the sport was making his opponents look good. But in doing so, Mick was given victories to make the wrestler he was facing seem that much more credible. Do you think if The Undertaker threw Al Snow off that Cell in 1998, it would be nearly as much as a lasting impression on the WWE. Hell, Taker did something similar to a fat piece of nothing we like to call Rikishi, and though Kish’s fall was more padded, it was still a fairly sick bump. The point is, that in making wrestler’s look good, it was necessary to make Mick look like a formidable opponent. Sure, you could say that you didn’t expect Mick to win those matches. But honestly KB, if you say that, you’re lying to yourself.

You can’t say you didn’t expect Mankind to win his matches against The Undertaker, because… Well, he had beaten Taker before. I think you forget, KB, that for a good portion of that 1996 feud, Mankind was built to look like a complete monster, and to have a mental edge over The Undertaker. Even when Mankind seemed to be down on his luck, he always had an ace up his non-literal sleeves. When The Undertaker beat him senseless at Summerslam 1996, he still had the mental edge of knowing Paul Bearer was turning on Taker. That 1996 run actually made Mick look so good, Vince had no choice but to put him in the main event against Shawn Michaels, where he looked good and (Gasp) was close to beating Shawn, before Vader interfered.

And you can’t say you didn’t expect him to beat The Rock that fateful night on Raw because… Well, he’d beaten him before. That match was a return match from the 1998 Rock Bottom: In Your House.

A match that Mankind won, by the way, KB. It took a legal loophole from Vince to keep the strap on The Rock

Sure, Mick made Rocky look good, but he was never made to seem like the lovable loser we all seem to have fixated in our minds. Every time that Mick lost, he was screwed over by The Rock and The Corporation. Can you name me one time that The Rock beat Mankind clean, KB?

I thought so. Now, that Summerslam 1999 match, admittedly, came out of fucking nowhere. But by that time, KB, Mankind was already a former champion. Sure, he didn’t hold the belt long, but it’s not like The Attitude Era, save for Stone Cold, had a completely dominant champion.

And with that in mind, I have one question…

Can you name me one time, aside from these last three months, that Tommy Dreamer won a fucking match?

I mean seriously, can you name a classic moment in which Tommy came out the victor? When was Tommy ever built as a credible challenger to any of ECW’s elite? Hell, his most memorable feud was with Raven, KB. It was a terrific feud, and quite frankly, it stands out as one of my favorite feud of the 90s. And you know what was something that was remarkable about that feud? Tommy never got the victory over Raven, until it was absolutely necessary, from a kayfabe standpoint, as Raven was leaving the company. No matter how hard Tommy tried, he always wound up doing the job for Raven. He didn’t pick up that elusive win until it was absolutely necessary, and everyone knew that Raven would be leaving them. Still, even with Tommy never getting that win, fans were absolutely suckered into that feud. They had no reason to believe Dreamer was going over Raven, and quite frankly, they didn’t need one. Dreamer and Raven were able to keep the fans compelled, even when the outcome seemed completely set in stone. Do you know how hard it is to keep fans interested in a feud, even when you wind up always jobbing to the guy in whom you’re wrestling? I have trouble thinking of a single wrestler that ever did it. Not Ric Flair, not Bret Hart, especially not Hulk Hogan.

And yes, not even Mick Foley. Eventually, Mick had to get back some heat by winning matches over his opponents. Tommy never needed the wins to keep that feud alive… The fans fucking loved him anyway, and were going to wait it out until Dreamer finally got that win. Shit, I’m sure they would have waited all of ECW’s existence, had Raven not had left for greener pastures.

And they even waited for Dreamer to be named ECW Champion, KB, but not too many people remember it, honestly. Why? Because he then lost the title twenty-one fucking minutes later. Even Tommy’s moment in the sun lasted less than an hour. Oh, and he didn’t get the title until he was the last guy left to give the belt to. Raven had left, Taz was gone, and every big name, save for RVD, that was left in ECW got a run with the title. Except Tommy Dreamer… Dreamer didn’t win the title until he was the absolute last guy ECW had left. And even then, he immediately lost the strap to Justin Credible in approximately twenty-one minutes. And you know what Tommy Dreamer thought about actually getting the belt?

Tommy Dreamer said:
I was actually pissed off. I wanted to go my entire ECW career without winning titles. The only reason I won titles is because guys left.

Even Tommy realizes he was only given a run when it was absolutely necessary. And that run didn’t even fucking last the entire night.

Still, the fans waited for Tommy, and they waited patiently. They never truly expected it, but everyone wanted to see him win. Yet, he just never really did in any sort of significant manner. Tommy was able to keep the fans on his side, when they had little reason to ever believe he was going to reach the top.

B. Jobbers are given absolutely no backing from the company.

And don’t try to say that Mick never had backing from the company. Jim Ross was always a strong proponent for Mick, and was always held in the highest regard by Vince and Jim. In Mick’s entire career, he was presented with three gimmicks that we remember him by…

1.Mankind, the psychopath who wished to bring pain and misery to the world.
2.Cactus Jack, which was that of a serial killer.
3.Dude Love. Yeah, this one was all Mick, however, even then it was a still pretty far out there gimmick.

Now, that isn’t to say that Vince made Mick, because saying so would be an over exaggeration. But Vince put some heavy creative into Mick, and gave him something to actually work with. He gave him a gimmick, and the airtime to do whatever he pleased with that gimmick. From there, it was all up to Mick to make it. Mick got a steady backing from the higher ups at WWE. Saying otherwise is completely preposterous.

What exactly did Paul Heyman ever give Tommy Dreamer? All Tommy ever really amounted to, gimmick wise, was a regular Joe. He was just like you and, but just so happened to be in a wrestling ring, KB. He was given no gimmick, nor any much time to express whatever gimmick he actually had. Mick was always over with the fans, KB. You may say that Mick got over with that Hell in a Cell stunt in 1998, but I couldn’t disagree more. Mankind was always pretty over, no matter what he did, in the WWE. Sure, you can say his biggest moment was getting thrown off the Cell, but it didn’t make who he was as a wrestler.

You know the moment that Tommy got over with the crowd, KB? It was this moment…

Yep, he got fucking over by taking a caning. His way of getting over was by fucking taking offense. While Mick had his promos to fall back on, as well as the gimmicks to be remembered by, Tommy was pretty much always remembered as the guy that took everyone’s shit well. Mick might have made you look good, but he also had other facets to his repertoire that got him over. Mick didn’t get over by his jobbing. Tommy Dreamer, however, did. And he had to… It was all he was given, quite frankly. And still, the fans loved the guy so damn much. He took beatings that seemed so painful, and never really got the heat on his opponents. Still, the fans cared, and loved Tommy for all of his efforts.

C. Jobbers always are company guys.

And before I make this argument, I want to make one thing very clear… I respect Mick as a person, for all he’s done with the WWE. Physically, the guy took a pounding like no other. He has sacrificed life and limb for the business.

So yes, on a physical level, Mick was a company man. But from a mental standpoint, Mick had issues going along with “business”

When The Montreal Screwjob took place, who was the first non-Hart to threaten no showing that next night’s Raw? Yeah, you bet your ass it was Mick Foley.

Who wrote an autobiography (The Hardcore Diaries) which completely bastardized Vince McMahon, and placed him as an overbearing monster? Yeah, that was Mick Foley.

And who left his position at the broadcast, because he couldn’t take the yelling of Vince? You know, even when JR and the King have had to deal with it for a good sixteen years? Yeah, that was Mick Foley.

And I honestly don’t fault Mick for those decisions, as he was acting in his best interest, and I’m personally cool with that. Still, Mick just wouldn’t budge on a few things, and didn’t do what was in the best interests of the company. Worse, when he had periods in which he’d left the company, he completely slandered the companies’ name, condemning it for “mistreating” the guy. And while Mick has certainly given plenty of his body for the business, that doesn’t give him the right to breach locker room etiquette, even if he has already left the locker room.

I’m pretty sure that Paul Heyman owes no one man more money than Tommy Dreamer. Tommy worked for eight fucking years for the guy, and even missed a couple paydays just to stick with Paul. He never griped about a few bounced checks, and never went to the dirt sheets to call Paul a bad employer. Shit, when he had the chance to leave for WCW, Tommy turned them down to stay in ECW, and stay under Paul’s wing, in spite of not being paid every so often. When other wrestlers spoke badly about Paul after they had left (Cough… Team 3D… Cough…. Chris Benoit…) There was never a peep to come from Tommy Dreamer. Until ECW’s last dying day, he stayed faithful, in spite of shoddy treatment, and the possibility of making it in another promotion should he have chosen to. Tommy always decided to put the companies’ best interests in front of his. He stayed with Paul, in spite of missing a couple paychecks, until he no longer could. And even in WWE, all he does is put guys over, without raising any anger over it. The closest he’s ever come was announcing a fucking retirement if he didn’t win the ECW Title. He never put a gun to Vince’s head, and never forced anything from his employers. Tommy is the embodiment of a company guy, both from a physical and a mental standpoint. And KB, while you know how highly I value your opinion, I feel as though there’s simply no other way to put it.

Tommy Dreamer is the greatest jobber of all time… Not Mick Foley

Oh I've been waiting for this. That has been my most consistent criticism: I don't go into enough details. Let's see what I can put together.

To begin with, I applaud your efforts on this as I've come to expect nothing less than greatness from you. However, you are indeed incorrect here. Why are you incorrect? Well I'm glad I asked that.

To begin with, I'll address what you've come up with.
A.) Indeed, Mick Foley has won his share of matches. However, so have Gene Snitsky, Big Daddy V, and the One Man Gang. I'd say that it's safe to say that for a large amout of their careers, these men were jobbers to the stars. While they have impressive win/loss records, their records against major talents are simply abysmal. They did indeed win their matches against talent that were designed to be destroyed by them, yet whenever they reaped the rewards for their dominance, they always came up short. While these men have indeed gotten many major matches, nearly every one if not all of them have ended in a loss for them. Mick Foley is no exception to this rule, with the only difference being his losses came at a higher level.

Looking at your list, I see the following:

1. Summerslam 1996, The Boiler Room Brawl, Undertaker VS. Mankind

As you go on to say, this win catapults Foley into the #1 contender slot for Shawn Michaels and the WWF Title and yes indeed, Foley did face Michaels in an absolute classic at Mind Games. However, while Foley did indeed win the match, he didn't leave with the title. In professional wrestling, a man can be losing one day and can be wrestling for a championship the next. It isn't what you did the previous day, but what you do today that matters most. King Kong Bundy for example main evented Wrestlemania 2, but never followed up on it, resulting in him facing little people in just a year. My point to this is simple: when a wrestler is given his first shot at glory, the match that matters the most is his next one. At the next PPV, Mankind wasn't wrestling for the WWF title, but he was indeed main eventing the show. The match was Buried Alive, and while Foley did indeed win the match, the feud and the night would belong to the Phenom, as his hand would come up from the dirt, signifying that despite Mankind's efforts, Taker wasn't gone yet, and while it did indeed take time, it was the Undertaker that defeated Foley at Survivor Series to end this chapter of their rivalry. Even when the feud resumed in April with Undertaker defending his newly won WWF Title against Mankind, Foley lost, giving the Undertaker a 3-2 deficit in victories, but giving him the more important victory: the final one, at least for this segment of their feud.

Much like Tommy Dreamer in his greatest and most well known storyline, his epic feud with Raven, Dreamer lost the majority of the beginning of the feud. Actually in Dreamer's case he lost all of the beginning of the feud. However, at the end of the day, as it always does in the world of professional wrestling, good triumphed over evil, making Dreamer the ultimate winner of the feud, and therefore certainly not a jobber. During this feud he was elevated up to the highest level he could reach. On the same night that he defeated Raven, Jerry Lawler appeared, representing the ultimate evil to ECW: a corporation. Dreamer, now a hero, was the natural choice to defend the honor of ECW against this evil, whom he defeated at the following Pay Per View.

What do we see from this? We see that while Dreamer did indeed lose many a match, he won the most important one: the final one, that won him the feud. Even Joey Styles on the following episode of Hardcore TV said that the feud was over. With Dreamer winning the last match, he won the feud, and while his record was certainly bad, he had won the war, which is something a jobber simply does not do. Foley may have won battles against the Undertaker and even been undefeated at one point, but winning early on certainly does not mean that he is victorious in the end.

2. Summerslam 1997, Cage Match, Triple H VS. Mankind

Yes indeed Foley did win this match and it was one of my favorite Summerslam moments. Yet at the end of the day, it was merely that: a moment. Here we return to the definition of a jobber: a man that puts others over. Following this feud, HHH was elevated into a singles push where he became the European Champion and ultimately the leader of Degeneration X. As that cage match happened, Mick Foley was one half of the WWF Tag Team Champions. Following his feud with HHH, Mick Foley was once again placed in a tag team with Terry Funk, where he did indeed regain the tag team titles, for one night. The following night, the new DX, led by none other than HHH annihilated the team. Foley is physically destroyed, while HHH holds a championship. Notice that HHH was elevated, while Foley was in the same place with nothing new to show for it.

Now you might think to yourself "oh boy I've got him this time. Foley went on to feud with Steve Austin for the WWF Title." Why yes indeed he did. Their feud lasted for two Pay Per Views, and Foley went 1-1. However, his second match was his loss, and ultimately he was left with no championship while HHH climbed the ladder even higher, as he not only had the last laugh, but had more success, meaning that he won the feud, and giving Foley another heartfelt, although meaningless moment.

3. Summerslam 1999, Triple Threat Match, Triple H VS. Stone Cold VS. Mankind

Ah yes the Out of Body Experience match. This match did indeed give Foley his third world title, yet the reign was a single day. This puts him in a four way tie for the 88th longest title reign of the 92 title reigns since the belt's inception. The reign before his lasted 55 days and the one following his lasted 22 days. Foley, while a champion, won following HHH's attack on Austin, meaning that it was only a fluke win, as Foley yet again appears to win on sheer luck, such as a quick pin by the Brooklyn Brawler or a rollup by Barry Horowitz. While such moments are indeed surprising and exciting, they are ultimately short lived forms of glory, with the very next match being more disappointment for the jobber.

4. Raw is War, WWE Title Match, The Rock VS. Mankind

See #3.

5. King of the Ring, 1996, Undertaker VS. Mankind

Already covered.

And you can’t say you didn’t expect him to beat The Rock that fateful night on Raw because… Well, he’d beaten him before. That match was a return match from the 1998 Rock Bottom: In Your House.

Paul Heyman over Jeff Hardy.
Earl Hebner over HHH.
Eugene over Kurt Angle.

All of these victories have occurred. Using your logic, since they occurred in the first meetings between these people, this is the patter we should always expect. A single win does not domination make my friend.

Can you name me one time that The Rock beat Mankind clean, KB?

The exact opposite is true as well. Mankind has never beaten the Rock clean. Be it by using an assist from Steve Austin or heavy machinery, the Rock has never been cleanly pinned by Mankind. Technically, a forklift won the WWF title on Halftime Heat.

Yes indeed Dreamer jobbed often to Raven. However, the part that you're leaving out is the most important of the story: the epilogue. Yes indeed, Dreamer did lose often to Raven and no, there was no reason for anyone to assume that he would defeat Johnny Polo. However, AFTER he did beat him, let's take a look at what happened to Dreamer's career.

To begin with, this is Tommy Dreamer. A man that by Paul Heyman, the creator of the character, was a normal man pushed to extreme measures. Following his defeat of Raven in 1997, Dreamer immediately was put into perhaps a more important feud with Jerry Lawler. This feud wasn't about titles or championships, but about the ECW life. As you know, ECW was the counter culture show. Dreamer, having lost probably 100 times to Raven, was the undisputed choice to take up the mantle of ECW and fight the evil invader from the huge company that wanted to end ECW. Let's change the scene for a bit shall we? InVasion 2001. The enemies have invaded the WWF and the WWF must send out an army to protect its borders against evil. Based on win/loss records, the most likely choices would have been the Brooklyn Brawler, Barry Horowitz, Glenn Ruth, Iron Mike Sharpe and Reno Riggins. Their records would have been comparable to Tommy Dreamer's, and since a man with Dreamer's record is fighting off the evil invader, it's these five to take on WCW and ECW in the biggest storyline of all time, correct?

And they even waited for Dreamer to be named ECW Champion, KB, but not too many people remember it, honestly. Why? Because he then lost the title twenty-one fucking minutes later.

This is simply incorrect. You remember it. Dreamer remembers it. The ECW faithful remember it. And most importantly, Vince McMahon remembers it. How do I know that Vince remembers it? That is simple: the entire basis of Tommy Dreamer's character in the WWE was built around having one more moment in the sun and being able to wear the thing that he (kayfabe-wise) craved most: the ECW World Heavyweight Championship. Tommy was certainly capable of hanging with most wrestlers on the roster from a technical and certainly a brawling standpoint, but he chose to chase the ECW Title instead. Now, how can you build a storyline about him reliving a moment if that moment is never remembered? For the most part, title lengths don't matter. Be they a year or a minute, that wrestler is forever known as a former champion, as Tommy was. Kane and Diesel are both one time WWF Champions. Diesel held the belt 358 days, Kane held it about 24 hours. Both men are still remembered as champions though, with Kane's reign being FAR more infamous for being so short. Of all the ECW Title reigns, Dreamer's is among the most famous for being so short.

Dreamer did indeed keep the fans on his side and they were rewarded for their patience. That title reign is among the most famous in ECW history. That is their reward. Tell me, what reign of Foley's is more famous? Jobbers don't achieve such fame. Dreamer was no jobber in ECW.

In wrestling, winning matches means little. You can lose all kinds of matches and be right back in the main event with a single win. Look at Dreamer if you don’t believe me. He never won a single match against Raven, yet he was made a star by the fans. Yes, the fans had a big role in it, but as I’ve said, he went on to defend the honor of ECW after one win. Now would a jobber do that? I don’t think so.

Now, on to part B.

B. Jobbers are given absolutely no backing from the company.

Completely and utterly incorrect. When you look back in company history, there are usually a select group of about 5-10 jobbers that are more well known than others. Jobbers are a dime a dozen, yet the same are consistently performing. If they had no backing from the company, why are they used over and over again?

Now I know that's not entirely what you were getting at, so let's try it from another angle.

Foley did indeed have three distinct gimmicks, but the most famous is Cactus Jack. It was that gimmick that got him noticed in Japan, WCW and ECW. That was his own creation. The character was based on being incredibly violent, which was a Foley idea. It was Foley's ideas that got him in the door and got him over with the fans.

As for Dreamer, who do you think gave him that gimmick and that story? It was one Paul Heyman that did. It was Heyman who came up with the everyday man character. Before that, Dreamer wore green suspenders. Now I don't know what you do on your weekends, but I for one certainly don't wear green suspenders. Dreamer was supposed to be a man that drove himself to great lengths to reach his goals, but at the end of the day he was still just a man. Yes, he did indeed get over with the fans sans gimmick, but it was Heyman that intentionally gave him no gimmick. I'll call this one a tie though, as while both men got over on their own merit, the booking that was given to them was indeed beneficial.

Like I said, I'll call this one a tossup.

C. Mark Calaway. Now if there has ever been a company man for Vince, this was it. He more or less threatened SHawn's life by saying you job or you get hurt. He is considered the conscience of the locker room and that's a well known fact. It was him that was second to Vince on that night. Now I highly doubt that you can claim that simply not getting there as fast would make him more of a company guy.

The Hardcore Diaries offers little difference either. Yes, Foley wrote that book. However, Vince McMahon was the man that allowed it to be advertised on his television show. If Vince is a smart businessman and I'm sure he is, then he would know what was in that book. Apparently the words were deemed fair by VInce to be advertised on his television shows, so how anti-company could they have been? Also, the book is about his year with the company. By doing this, he was making the company money by allowing another legend to be on the card. How is helping the company make money when he wasn't required to do so not being a company man? The book also brought attention to the company, and we all know Vince's motto on publicity: any kind of it is good.

How does leaving the broadcast booth mean anything? Foley honored his contract and decided to not renew it. As Chris Rock said in one of his stand up shows: "When you leave a restaurant, they don't owe you a steak." FOley honored his deal and left. He did everything that he said he would and left. How is that not being a good man? He owes the company nothing and that's all there is to it.

Again, when Foley left the company, why should he be required to speak highly of it? They ahve no official relationship, so why should he have to be all smiley and happy, pretending he loved something if he didn't? (not saying he didn't, but just hypothetical). That makes no sense at all.

The exact opposite could be said of Dreamer and Heyman. Tommy Dreamer is still to this day an employee of a major wrestling company. Assuming he was unemployed between the closing of ECW and the ngiht he jumped the guardrail with RVD on Raw (yes I know that's not the case), July 9. If that is the case, he was unemployed for 6 months. That was 8 years ago. He came back to be part of ECW and has been on the roster since. Dreamer didn't get paid for 6 months according to the Rise and Fall of ECW and his own words. The way I see it, he owes the last 8 years of paychecks to Paul Heyman, and that's just his WWE money. Had ECW never been around, I have a problem believing that Tommy Dreamer would have been hired by WWE. Not saying that's what would have happened, but it certainly could be looked at that way.

Now, time for MY arguments.

This is much briefer. Tommy Dreamer was not a jobber in the original ECW for reasons already listed. Now, in WWE, yes he is a jobber. His ECW Title reign was little more than a feel good 7 weeks and I loved every minute of it. However, making Christian look good a few times can hardly be compared to making HHH, Undertaker, Austin and Rock look good for years. Dreamer was a big fish in a small pond, while Foley was a big fish in the ocean. In that case, I'd rather be in the salt water. Foley is a jobber in the WWE, while Dreamer was the star of an indy company. That sounds one sided to me.

Mick Foley's career epitomises wrestling being a work and the old adage of "it doesn't matter if you win or loose, it's how you play the game".

I really wish Tenta was around to debate you. I kind of have the same thinking as him, only I don't think either could be labeled Best Jobber Ever. How exactly could you be the best at not winning? Sure it's a jobbers job to make the person look good, but does it really make him look better if he loses to him first? Or multiple times for that matter? I really don't think Dreamer or Foley could be labeled jobbers by definition. To me a jobber would be someone who doesn't even have theme music, who is already in the ring when we come back from commercial. Not somebody who is a multiple time World Champion. Feel free to ignore me. Lol. I know I'm no Tenta.

I don't care what your name is, you make a good point.

However, like you said, a jobber is someone that makes people look good. However, it doesn't mean that they aren't allowed to beat anyone. If they never beat anyone, then it doesn't mean anything when a bigger star beats them. You can be in the main event scene and be a jobber. Look at guys like JBL or Kane. They're in the main event scene, but how many main event matches have they won? Guys like Punk or Cena go against them to look good and the winner will almost never be in doubt. Those two (JBL and Kane) are main event or at least upper midcard guys, but no one expects them to win those feuds and matches, at least not us. They job to big stars. Yes they're main event jobbers, but they're still jobbers for the most part.

Hmmm.

I'm actually really torn on both of your arguments. For the most part I tend to lean towards what Nate said. For me a jobber doesn't get anything. They are there simply to be wailed on and lose. Both Foley and Dreamer could be considered a jobber at times in their career as can JBL and Kane but for the most part they were active superstars more than jobbers.

I'm interested to see this debate continue though. Best arguments from both you guys I've seen for a while.

Yeah I get that they won most of the time, and while they dominated won a lot, name one time in the last three years that they won a match or a feud with another main event guy. They were big names but they were the ones taht bigger guys would beat on. Foley was a big names and would have dominated most of the midcard, but who was he ever favored over in a main event feud? He was always going to lose at that level, at least in the end, and he made the people that beat him look as good as anyone did.

Ah, KB, it appears that it’s merely come down to you and I. Who knew our war was going to explode over fucking Tommy Dreamer? Alas, while I understand that you are one of the smartest, if not the smartest, person on these boards, I must inform you officially that I am a Dreamer mark. The man personifies everything that is good about the business. So I’ll go to war with him. Folks, if you’re taking part in the Debater’s League, I’d advise you to turn to this page now. KB is absolutely astounding at debates, and I’d like to think I’m not too much under par myself. So this should be something… Good luck, KB… You’ve awoken me…

Oh I've been waiting for this. That has been my most consistent criticism: I don't go into enough details. Let's see what I can put together.

I don’t particularly think you lack detail, KB. God knows you’re detailed. Look at your reviews. What I think is the case is that sometimes you fail to dig deeper for your answers, in actually searching for the answer to your question. I feel as though you settle for the obvious choice, when you can do so much better. But that’s just me…

To begin with, I applaud your efforts on this as I've come to expect nothing less than greatness from you. However, you are indeed incorrect here. Why are you incorrect? Well I'm glad I asked that.

Well, I didn’t particularly ask, but what the Hell, I’ll hear you out.

[A.] Indeed, Mick Foley has won his share of matches. However, so have Gene Snitsky, Big Daddy V, and the One Man Gang. I'd say that it's safe to say that for a large amount of their careers, these men were jobbers to the stars. While they have impressive win/loss records, their records against major talents are simply abysmal. They did indeed win their matches against talent that were designed to be destroyed by them, yet whenever they reaped the rewards for their dominance, they always came up short.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, KB…. I’d advise you to be extremely careful with your selections, there. Consider the men that you selected, KB. OMG, Mabel, and Snitsky? Sure, you could label them as jobbers, but I feel as though there’s a better term for these men. And as a matter of fact, Mick Foley actually fits in this category.

That category is a list of wrestlers I prefer to term “monsters”. Monsters are built up over a period of time, to provide fear for the companies’ top babyfaces, and to intimidate them to the fullest of extents. Sure, these monsters might also wind up doing the job for the top babyfaces, but in the process, they’re built up gradually to actually be placed on par with said top babyface. They’re usually large, somewhat deformed beasts, and while some of them may lack talent, all serve the purpose of ultimately being fed to the best babyface.

Does that make them a jobber to the stars? Sure, I guess you could say that. Does that make them an actual jobber? Not necessarily, for as though their ultimate purpose on this Earth is to job, they still are allowed victories to keep them credible in the eyes of the fans, and to scare the living shit out of the crowd. Sometimes, that heel also tends to get the upper hand on the superstar of their choice. This is the case with Mick Foley, as you’ll see later in my argument.

I can just hear the argument now… “Tenta, that’s great, but what about men like Vader and Yokozuna? These men didn’t wind jobbing to the babyfaces. They were dominant heels. And surely, they were monsters, as well.”

Decent point in theory. But only in theory. And here’s why:

A. Whether or not we acknowledge it, these heel monsters such as Vader and Yoko did actually wind up doing the job to the babyface. For every Vader, there’s a Sting. For every Yokozuna, there’s a Bret Hart. Whatever the case may be, all heels wind up having to do the job to the babyface at some point. Otherwise, we wouldn’t watch to see the face get his vengeance.

B. Even with that in mind, I feel as though there’s a different category to place these men within. This a level of monstrosity that not only ran rampant through their promotion, but also were considered standard bearers. I would deem these men, “juggernauts”. Mick certainly isn’t in this category, but I definitely see him more in the role of a monster.

I can hear you now, KB… “But Tenta, Mick played a heel for only really half of his run in WWE. He also had periods in which he was a massive face.”

Yeah, I guess you’re right… There’s no way a monster can ever turn face… Certainly no monster has ever played the role of the good…. Holy Shit, look at that fucking Giant!

AndreTheGiant020.jpg

Granted, Andre also may just qualify for that juggernaut status I deemed earlier, but actually, Mick Foley and Andre The Giant actually have far more in common than you can ever imagine.

Both are “monstrosities” of this Earth, for varying reasons. Mick was a monstrosity because of his sadistic nature, and his need to inflict pain upon his opponents. Whether it was Mankind, Cactus, or even Dude, Mick just had a sick twist to his characters that otherwise made them not fit to walk this Earth as normal beings. This was your thinking man’s monster, a guy who looked nothing like societies wishes, and took out all of his frustrations on the same men that judged him. Andre, meanwhile, was certainly an abnormal human being, by our standards. I mean, come one, how many seven feet tall men do you ever see. Still, the guy was viewed as different, and wasn’t like us. He, in societies perception, was also a monster.

But there’s something else these men have in common that makes them very similar… A likeable personality, and a sense of humor that brightened up the room. Sure, Mick’s characters could be articulate, as Mick was eloquent in real life. They (Mick’s personalities) could say things that made you laugh, and could do things you enjoyed. But deep down at the very core of their nucleus, they were all very much the same… They were bloodthirsty creatures, that wanted nothing more than your pain to help them sleep at night.

Andre also had a mean streak a mile long too. The guy was just a fucking terror to have to deal with… Especially if you got him smashed… Still, wrestlers hated going against Andre, just because they knew the amount of pain they’d be in. Andre horrified so many of his opponents, and no face or heel wanted to wrestle Andre. Shit, he even fucking scared Hulk Hogan. Still, Andre had a likeable personality, and everyone just about loved Andre. It was considered an honor to drink a beer with Andre, and even the fans adored this mammoth creature as a face. Still, he was just as capable of any man to cripple his opponent, and put him in the hospital bed.

So yes, even though Mick may have had a likeable personality, he too, just like the men you mentioned, is better placed in the category of the monster.

Just wait right there, KB…. I’m just getting started.

While these men have indeed gotten many major matches, nearly every one if not all of them have ended in a loss for them. Mick Foley is no exception to this rule, with the only difference being his losses came at a higher level.

What you seemingly forget, KB, is that, in correlation to having more prestigious losses, Mick also had more prestigious wins. To build himself up to that superstar level, it was necessary to feed him wins against top opponents, and make him look extremely credible. While the men you’ve mentioned may have beaten some names, none of them come even close to matching the resume of Mick Foley. Has One Man Gang ever beaten The Rock, Steve Austin, The Undertaker, and Triple H? How about Gene Snitsky?

I thought so.

Looking at your list, I see the following:

Go on….

As you go on to say, this win catapults Foley into the #1 contender slot for Shawn Michaels and the WWF Title and yes indeed, Foley did face Michaels in an absolute classic at Mind Games. However, while Foley did indeed win the match, he didn't leave with the title.

So you’ve admitted that Mick earned his way into the Title picture by defeating the WWE’s most established (arguably) babyface, and then cashing it in on a guy who defeated every single superstar that The WWF had to offer him? I mean during that run for HBK, he actually beat the following wrestlers, and beat them fairly clean…

Bret Hart
Diesel
Davey Boy
Vader
Sid
Steve Austin
Goldust
Owen Hart
Yokozuna

You name it, and Shawn beat every single heel possible that there was, clean, right in the middle of the ring. But you know what name is conspicuous by his absence, KB?

That’s right, in case you never realized it, KB, there is only one heel that Shawn Michaels couldn’t put down for the count. Not Diesel, not Vader, not Bret, not Sid. Mick Foley was the one guy Shawn could not put down clean. Don’t you think that says quite a bit about how Mick was booked at the time, KB? That Shawn could go over clean over each and every one of those men, yet Mankind is the one guy that he couldn’t put down?

Right… But because Shawn got disqualified, that makes Mankind a jobber. Exactly…

In professional wrestling, a man can be losing one day and can be wrestling for a championship the next. It isn't what you did the previous day, but what you do today that matters most. King Kong Bundy for example main evented Wrestlemania 2, but never followed up on it, resulting in him facing little people in just a year.

Sigh…. KB, you’re really stretching with these examples you’re citing here. You’re really going to compare KKB with Mankind. How’s about we make this comparison….

KKB was a fat piece of shit that couldn’t work his way out of the paper bag, and Mick was a guy that cut terrific promos, put on great matches, and provided something different for the fans to witness. Do you see the difference between these men?

My point to this is simple: when a wrestler is given his first shot at glory, the match that matters the most is his next one. At the next PPV, Mankind wasn't wrestling for the WWF title, but he was indeed main eventing the show. The match was Buried Alive, and while Foley did indeed win the match, the feud and the night would belong to the Phenom, as his hand would come up from the dirt, signifying that despite Mankind's efforts, Taker wasn't gone yet, and while it did indeed take time, it was the Undertaker that defeated Foley at Survivor Series to end this chapter of their rivalry. Even when the feud resumed in April with Undertaker defending his newly won WWF Title against Mankind, Foley lost, giving the Undertaker a 3-2 deficit in victories, but giving him the more important victory: the final one, at least for this segment of their feud.

Oh come the Fuck on KB! You’re really going to cite that example for using The Undertaker? Do you know how many men have tried to rid themselves of The Undertaker? Yokozuna hired fifteen guys to stuff him into a casket, and Taker came back in seven months for vengeance. Randy Orton practically tried to kill him by running the backseat of a lowrider into the Smackdown set. Undertaker came back in two months, in a fucking flaming casket no less, and beat Orton senseless in a Hell in a Cell match. Kane tried to burn the guy alive by locking him in a casket, and he came back just in time for Wrestlemania. Kane then tried years later to bury the Dead Man alive, all to no avail. He’d return just in time, once again, for Wrestlemania. Seriosuly, when we’re talking about The Undertaker, do you take Death seriously. The guy could have AIDS, and probably fucking perform for another twenty years, and no one would say a thing. Point being, just about everyone has fallen to The Undertaker. You can’t base a jobber’s resume off of that.

Much like Tommy Dreamer in his greatest and most well known storyline, his epic feud with Raven, Dreamer lost the majority of the beginning of the feud. Actually in Dreamer's case he lost all of the beginning of the feud. However, at the end of the day, as it always does in the world of professional wrestling, good triumphed over evil, making Dreamer the ultimate winner of the feud, and therefore certainly not a jobber. During this feud he was elevated up to the highest level he could reach. On the same night that he defeated Raven, Jerry Lawler appeared, representing the ultimate evil to ECW: a corporation. Dreamer, now a hero, was the natural choice to defend the honor of ECW against this evil, whom he defeated at the following Pay Per View.

Ah, you make it seem all so romantic, KB, you really do. I mean the passion of the moment, the importance of it. I do love how you gloss over one little fact in regards to this particular match. Namely, that it was Raven’s last night in ECW. What the fuck did you expect Paul to do, have the guy who was defecting go over his guy? What type of fucking sense does that make, KB? I mean, really, what did you expect for them to do. It’s only proper etiquette for Raven to job to whoever the promoter chooses. And while Dreamer was a jobber, the boys all respected the man. Still, I argue that ECW would have kept the “Tommy can’t beat Raven” angle going for as long as they could, because people related to that need to drive away your demons. And in a way, they did keep it going as long as they could have expected. Raven was leaving, so it made absolutely zero sense for Raven to actually go over Tommy, especially when Raven has one foot out of the door.

What do we see from this? We see that while Dreamer did indeed lose many a match, he won the most important one: the final one, that won him the feud. Even Joey Styles on the following episode of Hardcore TV said that the feud was over. With Dreamer winning the last match, he won the feud, and while his record was certainly bad, he had won the war, which is something a jobber simply does not do.

Unless, you know, his competition is leaving for another promotion. Then, backstage etiquette kicks in, and the departed does the job for his intended man.

Foley may have won battles against the Undertaker and even been undefeated at one point, but winning early on certainly does not mean that he is victorious in the end.

Again, I love how much you simplify all that feud did for The Undertaker. Without Mankind, The Undertaker wouldn’t have been forced to face his inner dark side. Consider this analogy here, and let me know if it works…. The Undertaker, in a way, was always Harvey Dent. He was the conscious of the WWE, and the man that did away with evil doers quicker than you can say “Tombstone Piledriver”. Meanwhile, we’ll cast Mankind in the role of The Joker. He was a maniacal anti social man who luxuriously bathed in the agony of his opponents. Mankind actually got more of a victory, as he was the first man to bring The WWE’s white knight down to “his” level, and prove that even the conscious of the WWE can be brought down. Sure, Mankind may have seemed like he didn’t win the war, but he got more out of The Undertaker than any man not named Kane has. He was the first man to set in motion the sadistic and dark Undertaker we have on display now. Mankind corrupted The Undertaker. And it wasn’t even that hard.

Yes indeed Foley did win this match and it was one of my favorite Summerslam moments. Yet at the end of the day, it was merely that: a moment. Here we return to the definition of a jobber: a man that puts others over. Following this feud, HHH was elevated into a singles push where he became the European Champion and ultimately the leader of Degeneration X. As that cage match happened, Mick Foley was one half of the WWF Tag Team Champions. Following his feud with HHH, Mick Foley was once again placed in a tag team with Terry Funk, where he did indeed regain the tag team titles, for one night. The following night, the new DX, led by none other than HHH annihilated the team. Foley is physically destroyed, while HHH holds a championship. Notice that HHH was elevated, while Foley was in the same place with nothing new to show for it.

Oh, don’t give me that, KB. You and I both know that Triple H was going to reach stardom one way or another. Hell, if t wasn’t for the MSG Incident, he would’ve been destined to win the 1996 King of the Ring. Now, I’m not too much of a genius, but it doesn’t take much to realize that there was no possible way that Mankind was going to make The Undertaker and Triple H look like stars on one fucking pay per view. Perhaps if he had, I’d award him the title of the greatest jobber of all time.

Seriously, though, Trips was going to be a star regardless of Mankind. All Mick had to do was just give him a good match, a match in which Triple H took the ass kicking of a lifetime. And again, how exactly is it putting a guy over you when you’ve claimed the victory? By your Undertaker logic, Mankind got the best of him in that portion of the feud, and therefore went over. Right, KB?

Ah yes the Out of Body Experience match. This match did indeed give Foley his third world title, yet the reign was a single day. This puts him in a four way tie for the 88th longest title reign of the 92 title reigns since the belt's inception. The reign before his lasted 55 days and the one following his lasted 22 days. Foley, while a champion, won following HHH's attack on Austin, meaning that it was only a fluke win, as Foley yet again appears to win on sheer luck, such as a quick pin by the Brooklyn Brawler or a rollup by Barry Horowitz. While such moments are indeed surprising and exciting, they are ultimately short lived forms of glory, with the very next match being more disappointment for the jobber.

Wow…. That is a horrendous comparison on your part, KB. It’s not as if Mick was sitting there at ringside watching Steve and Trips pound the crap out of one another. No, he did quite a bit of damage to both men. You and I both know it. Sure, it was a shock, and maybe it wouldn’t have happened if Steve didn’t refuse to job to Trips (allegedly). But let me put this out there, KB… This was the last match between Steve and Mick, right? This was the last match they would ever have, no? Well, by your fucking Undertaker logic, wouldn’t that mean that Mankind went over the top superstar of The Attitude Era?

Precisely…. And not only that, but if I really wanted to get literal with it, Mankind always had the upper hand on Steve. Read: Dude may have lost to Steve, but Mankind never did. Mankind beat him at the 1998 Survivor Series, and also beat him that night. So if we really look at it, Mankind pretty much has Steve’s number.

God… Maybe they handed The Attitude Era over to the wrong guy.

I can’t believe how quick you are to throw out this victory. But you discuss it later, so we’ll get into it. Seems like you need a little history on your Rock-Mankind feuds.

Paul Heyman over Jeff Hardy.
Earl Hebner over HHH.
Eugene over Kurt Angle.

All of these victories have occurred. Using your logic, since they occurred in the first meetings between these people, this is the patter we should always expect. A single win does not domination make my friend.

Well perhaps, but it does when, after multiple attempts, the wrestler still can’t manage a conclusive victory over his opponent. And this is the case between Rock and Mankind…. Try as he might, Rock could never grab the win over Mankind. And believe me, he had many chances. Don’t believe me? Why, let’s analyze it.

The exact opposite is true as well. Mankind has never beaten the Rock clean. Be it by using an assist from Steve Austin or heavy machinery, the Rock has never been cleanly pinned by Mankind. Technically, a forklift won the WWF title on Halftime Heat.

Ok, KB…. Let’s really take a look at the order of events in matches between The Rock and Mick Foley…

Survivor Series 1998- The Rock beats Mankind, via a screw job set up by The McMahons.

Rock Bottom 1998- Mankind cleanly beats The Rock, by applying The Mandible Claw to him, right in the middle of the ring. It takes quick thinking by Vince to say that Rocky never “tapped out”, and thus was able to keep his belt.

Raw is War- Say what you want about Stone Cold, but he was only placing the match back into it’s correct order of events. Don’t believe me?

Then do you mean to tell me, KB, that you did not witness The Rock placed in the Mandible Claw by Mankind? It took interference from Ken Shamrock to break the hold, and give The Rock a prayer of holding on to the belt. After that, Austin came out, and only returned the match to it’s prior events. Mankind had Rocky beat in the middle of the ring, before Ken Shamrock broke up the hold.

Oh, and let’s not forget… No Disqualification match…. Perfectly legal. Eh?

Royal Rumble 1999- Rock wins via video cassette player

Halftime Heat- Mick wins in an empty arena match. Perfectly legal.

St. Valentine’s Day Massacre 1999- Double knockout

Raw- Rock and Corporation screw Mankind

Yes indeed Dreamer jobbed often to Raven. However, the part that you're leaving out is the most important of the story: the epilogue. Yes indeed, Dreamer did lose often to Raven and no, there was no reason for anyone to assume that he would defeat Johnny Polo. However, AFTER he did beat him, let's take a look at what happened to Dreamer's career.

The Epilogue? Why, the guy continued to job! It’s not as if he found some remedy to keep him from jobbing. Again, can you name me one important win that came to Tommy after that match?

To begin with, this is Tommy Dreamer. A man that by Paul Heyman, the creator of the character, was a normal man pushed to extreme measures. Following his defeat of Raven in 1997, Dreamer immediately was put into perhaps a more important feud with Jerry Lawler. This feud wasn't about titles or championships, but about the ECW life. As you know, ECW was the counter culture show. Dreamer, having lost probably 100 times to Raven, was the undisputed choice to take up the mantle of ECW and fight the evil invader from the huge company that wanted to end ECW.

Ok, KB…. Let’s just consider all of the names in ECW that could have potentially taken part in this feud…

RVD- Sided with The King
Sabu-Same
Taz- Broiled in a feud with Sabu
Shane Douglas- Right…. He’s going to get involved with anything the WWE does…
Terry Funk- Missed this go around. Don’t worry, he and the Dreamer would get their chance soon…. By jobbing to Mick Foley and Edge
Raven- Gone
Dudleys- I think they were feuding with Spike or some shit
Sandman- Going after ECW Title

You see where I’m getting at here? Sure, Dreamer embodied all of the qualities of ECW. But it’s not like he did much to earn it. You know why ECW fans liked Tommy? Because they felt just like him. They were always being pushed around by the big boys, and were always doing “jobs” of some sort to the higher echelon members of society. Tommy got the fan’s reaction because he lost so much, and that related to that sense of always being a loser. That is why Tommy got the nod for this feud. He fit the bill perfectly… And underdog no one expected to come out on top, against the same big wigs that stuck up their nose at the very thought of Tommy, and of ECW.

Let's change the scene for a bit shall we? InVasion 2001. The enemies have invaded the WWF and the WWF must send out an army to protect its borders against evil. Based on win/loss records, the most likely choices would have been the Brooklyn Brawler, Barry Horowitz, Glenn Ruth, Iron Mike Sharpe and Reno Riggins. Their records would have been comparable to Tommy Dreamer's, and since a man with Dreamer's record is fighting off the evil invader, it's these five to take on WCW and ECW in the biggest storyline of all time, correct?

Well, they actually did worse to Tommy…. Did you see him get any air time on TV? Did you see him wrestler any significant matches for the Alliance? And you know why? Because the WWE needed to make The Alliance look strong. And the last thing they needed was a guy who constantly jobbed doing the bill once more

This is simply incorrect. You remember it. Dreamer remembers it. The ECW faithful remember it. And most importantly, Vince McMahon remembers it. How do I know that Vince remembers it? That is simple: the entire basis of Tommy Dreamer's character in the WWE was built around having one more moment in the sun and being able to wear the thing that he (kayfabe-wise) craved most: the ECW World Heavyweight Championship.

Difference of opinion here. Tommy’s character is based upon keeping the ECW spirit alive, and of keeping hope to the die hard ECW fans that their man, who is always so used to jobbing, would finally get his big break, and would wind up doing well for himself. And that really didn’t even start until three months ago, KB.

As for the reign, I remember the victory… But it’s not even the best ECW Title win, man. That distinction belongs to Terry Funk’s victory over Raven at Barely Legal, followed by Taz’s return to ECW to beat Mike Awesome, and keep the ECW Title from WCW. Those moments struck more of a chord for me, honestly. Tommy’s moment was great, but it was immediately squashed by Justin Credible. It’d be like if Jeff Hardy won the World Heavyweight Title, and then…. Oh, I don’t know…. CM Punk…. Eh, let’s see…. Oh yeah, cashed in MITB, and won the belt from Jeff. Sure the title win becomes a memory, but the real thing that sticks in our mind is that CM Punk just cashed in MITB, and won the title. Now, do that, and take out the repeated rematches to show Jeff Hardy is a viable contender for the belt he just lost.

If the scenario were to ever happen, it’d be the exact replica of what happened to Tommy Dreamer’s reign as ECW Heavyweight Champion.

Tommy was certainly capable of hanging with most wrestlers on the roster from a technical and certainly a brawling standpoint, but he chose to chase the ECW Title instead.

Don’t make me laugh. Tommy’s only talent he excels at are two things.

A. Getting his opponent to look good.
B. Receiving appreciation for making said opponent look good.

You really mean to tell me Tommy has the skill of Triple H, or The Undertaker? What about Jack Swagger, even?

Now, how can you build a storyline about him reliving a moment if that moment is never remembered? For the most part, title lengths don't matter. Be they a year or a minute, that wrestler is forever known as a former champion, as Tommy was.

I find this so funny, KB. So we should hold it against Mick Foley that he held the belt for a short amount of time, but we shouldn’t care that Tommy had a reign that was a fraction of Mick’s shortest reign.

You’re really contradicting yourself on that one, KB.

Kane and Diesel are both one time WWF Champions. Diesel held the belt 358 days, Kane held it about 24 hours. Both men are still remembered as champions though, with Kane's reign being FAR more infamous for being so short. Of all the ECW Title reigns, Dreamer's is among the most famous for being so short.

Except while Diesel is regarded as a main eventer, most people consider Kane a jobber to the stars. Hmm…

Dreamer did indeed keep the fans on his side and they were rewarded for their patience. That title reign is among the most famous in ECW history. That is their reward. Tell me, what reign of Foley's is more famous? Jobbers don't achieve such fame. Dreamer was no jobber in ECW.

What reign meant more, KB? I’d say this one meant a pretty damn good much…

[youtube]r1B3-WkGUfg[/youtube]​

Not only was this a beautiful moment, much like Dreamer’s, but it also inspired half a million fans to switch from Nitro to Raw, after Tony Schiavonne aired live that Mick was going to win the belt, and said something deprecating of the guy. Not only did he have an emotional crowd, but he also proved he was a draw. And honestly, KB, what jobber is a draw?

In wrestling, winning matches means little. You can lose all kinds of matches and be right back in the main event with a single win. Look at Dreamer if you don’t believe me. He never won a single match against Raven, yet he was made a star by the fans. Yes, the fans had a big role in it, but as I’ve said, he went on to defend the honor of ECW after one win. Now would a jobber do that? I don’t think so.

Already covered that.

Completely and utterly incorrect. When you look back in company history, there are usually a select group of about 5-10 jobbers that are more well known than others. Jobbers are a dime a dozen, yet the same are consistently performing. If they had no backing from the company, why are they used over and over again?

Now you’re being facetious…

Foley did indeed have three distinct gimmicks, but the most famous is Cactus Jack. It was that gimmick that got him noticed in Japan, WCW and ECW. That was his own creation. The character was based on being incredibly violent, which was a Foley idea. It was Foley's ideas that got him in the door and got him over with the fans.

Nice try, but while the smarks will claim to the High Heavens they love Cactus, most wrestling fans know Mick Foley as Mankind. It’s his most famous gimmick in the states, and his most famous gimmick in an American promotion

As for Dreamer, who do you think gave him that gimmick and that story? It was one Paul Heyman that did. It was Heyman who came up with the everyday man character. Before that, Dreamer wore green suspenders. Now I don't know what you do on your weekends, but I for one certainly don't wear green suspenders. Dreamer was supposed to be a man that drove himself to great lengths to reach his goals, but at the end of the day he was still just a man. Yes, he did indeed get over with the fans sans gimmick, but it was Heyman that intentionally gave him no gimmick. I'll call this one a tie though, as while both men got over on their own merit, the booking that was given to them was indeed beneficial.

The booking was beneficial? The reason people related to Dreamer was because of the damn losses. And his ability to display his passion, in spite of these setbacks, was completely Tommy’s work, as much so as Paul.

Like I said, I'll call this one a tossup.

Mark Calaway. Now if there has ever been a company man for Vince, this was it. He more or less threatened SHawn's life by saying you job or you get hurt. He is considered the conscience of the locker room and that's a well known fact. It was him that was second to Vince on that night. Now I highly doubt that you can claim that simply not getting there as fast would make him more of a company guy.

You ever find it funny that The Undertaker stood up for Bret, yet also worked for Vince for another fucking twelve years without saying a damn word? Consider it an isolated incident on Mark’s part. Besides, Mark didn’t seem to mind too much when he was working with Shawn for the WWE Title two months later. Taker has had one complaint, and has otherwise towed the company line. Mick has had multiple incidents of lashing out at his former bookers. He did it to Eric, Paul, and Vince. And you can bet your Ass he’ll do it to Dixie and Jeff when he’s done with TNA. It’s just what Mick does.

The Hardcore Diaries offers little difference either. Yes, Foley wrote that book. However, Vince McMahon was the man that allowed it to be advertised on his television show. If Vince is a smart businessman and I'm sure he is, then he would know what was in that book. Apparently the words were deemed fair by VInce to be advertised on his television shows, so how anti-company could they have been? Also, the book is about his year with the company. By doing this, he was making the company money by allowing another legend to be on the card. How is helping the company make money when he wasn't required to do so not being a company man? The book also brought attention to the company, and we all know Vince's motto on publicity: any kind of it is good.[/QUOTE

Why did Vince authorize that book? Well, tow reasons. First, how bad would it look on Vince’s part if a best selling author was turned down because he didn’t like what he said? It would totally crush Vince’s credibility. Second, it was going to rake in cash. And that’s exactly what it did.

How does leaving the broadcast booth mean anything? Foley honored his contract and decided to not renew it. As Chris Rock said in one of his stand up shows: "When you leave a restaurant, they don't owe you a steak." FOley honored his deal and left. He did everything that he said he would and left. How is that not being a good man? He owes the company nothing and that's all there is to it.

Well yeah, but he owes it to Vince, who made him a best selling author and a three time World Champion, to at least not go to the fucking dirt sheets about his problems, and put it out for the entire world to see. Has Mark ever done that? Has any company man?

Again, when Foley left the company, why should he be required to speak highly of it? They ahve no official relationship, so why should he have to be all smiley and happy, pretending he loved something if he didn't? (not saying he didn't, but just hypothetical). That makes no sense at all.

Well yes, but usually, in the wrestling world, those that bitch and complain are the ones that are regarded as company men. It’s part of a Code not to speak to ill of bookers, as it may just portray you in a bad light. And Mick has done it three fucking times. Which leads me to another point.

Tommy, unlike Mick, is not a mark for his own name.

Mick even put it best in his anti ECW promo one Monday Night Raw… The only difference between he and Tommy Dreamer is that Mick’s a ****e, and Tommy’s not. Where as Mick always has to make the subject about himself, in his mind, Tommy does no such thing… I distinctly remember hearing on one of those WWE roundtables, Mick talking about gimmicks

Mick Foley said:
The worst gimmick of all time? Uh… Mantaur. And it was so bad because it happened during a time I was trying to get into the WWE

Seriously, watch an interview, and take a look at how long it takes for Mick to say something to rep himself, and place himself at the focal point. They were talking about bad gimmicks, and Mick went from discussing Mantaur to talking about a prank played by Shane Douglas on him faster than you can say the name “prostitute”. A jobber never prostitutes his own name… He let’s his own craft speak for itself. And that is exactly what Tommy has done since he began wrestling.

This is much briefer. Tommy Dreamer was not a jobber in the original ECW for reasons already listed. Now, in WWE, yes he is a jobber. His ECW Title reign was little more than a feel good 7 weeks and I loved every minute of it. However, making Christian look good a few times can hardly be compared to making HHH, Undertaker, Austin and Rock look good for years. Dreamer was a big fish in a small pond, while Foley was a big fish in the ocean. In that case, I'd rather be in the salt water. Foley is a jobber in the WWE, while Dreamer was the star of an indy company. That sounds one sided to me.

A star? The guy was always passed on to the next guy that needed a push. If it wasn’t Raven, it was Shane Douglas. If not Shane, Justin Credible. If not Justin,. Then it was fucking Rhino. And Tommy never bitched the whole way. He simply took it like a man, and made these men look like gold. And he was rewarded with the fan’s adoration.

That is the true key of the World’s Greatest Jobber.

You both seem to be missing the point of a jobber...

An eight time tag champion, three time world chapion for WWF, once for TNA and a TNA legends champion does not constitute a jobber.

A two time ECW champion is NOT a jobber.

Jobbers do not win the world belt, no matter who they are, winning that brand/companies major belt show's your not a jobber.

[youtube]XIDIyqujz4U[/youtube]

Now if you want a true jobber, it's our man Stevie Richards. This man whos claim to fame is being the self imposed GM of Sunday Night Heat, losing the hardcore title 22 times, being in two of the best stables of jobbers ever (RTC &bWo).

Watch his matches, no one ever thinks Stevie will win before hand, but as the match goes on you think hmmm this guy could nip it. He could win this match he could yeh no, he's lost it! That's what a jobber does, loses matches, they never win the big prize, heck they don't even get close to it. Even Brooklyn brawler once had a WWF title shot...did Stevie?! No way.

First of all, I'm also a Dreamer mark. Second, if they're already reading this, why would they turn to this page? Third, I had to put down American Lion to reply to this. That wounds me not very deeply at all. Anyway, let's do this again.

Fourth of all, I want to make sure something is clear: for a lot of his career, Dreamer was indeed a jobber and a DAMN fine one. However, he wasn't the best at it, and that's what I'm proving. Not that he wasn't a jobber (at least for the majority of his career), but that he wasn't best at it.

I don’t particularly think you lack detail, KB. God knows you’re detailed. Look at your reviews. What I think is the case is that sometimes you fail to dig deeper for your answers, in actually searching for the answer to your question. I feel as though you settle for the obvious choice, when you can do so much better. But that’s just me…

Why go too far in depth with stuff? Why not use the most basic answers? Less to remember, less to get confused by, less hectic.

Well, I didn’t particularly ask, but what the Hell, I’ll hear you out.

I know. Hence where I said that I asked.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, KB…. I’d advise you to be extremely careful with your selections, there. Consider the men that you selected, KB. OMG, Mabel, and Snitsky? Sure, you could label them as jobbers, but I feel as though there’s a better term for these men. And as a matter of fact, Mick Foley actually fits in this category.

That category is a list of wrestlers I prefer to term “monsters”. Monsters are built up over a period of time, to provide fear for the companies’ top babyfaces, and to intimidate them to the fullest of extents. Sure, these monsters might also wind up doing the job for the top babyfaces, but in the process, they’re built up gradually to actually be placed on par with said top babyface. They’re usually large, somewhat deformed beasts, and while some of them may lack talent, all serve the purpose of ultimately being fed to the best babyface.

Does that make them a jobber to the stars? Sure, I guess you could say that. Does that make them an actual jobber? Not necessarily, for as though their ultimate purpose on this Earth is to job, they still are allowed victories to keep them credible in the eyes of the fans, and to scare the living shit out of the crowd. Sometimes, that heel also tends to get the upper hand on the superstar of their choice. This is the case with Mick Foley, as you’ll see later in my argument.

True, all of these men are indeed monsters, but that wasn't the point. These men were the first three that came to my mind when I listed off people that destroyed jobbers in their paths like trailers with Aunt Clotilda in them in the path of a hurricane. Back in the 80s, the use of jobbers was far higher. Traditionally it would be random people that would never be heard from again (with exceptions like one Jack Foley who was crushed by the British Bulldogs). Such a thing is nowhere near as prevalent in today's product as there are a select group of people that serve as jobbers. Sadly, they tend to be what used to be known as cruiserweights, but that's a different thread for a different time. The point is, those three were random names that I came up with.

However, the three of them did indeed beat up on jobbers with absolute ease to become what they were, but in that case, people such as the Rockers, Magnum TA and Jimmy Snuka are monsters. Many people beat on jobbers to gain credibility. The words that you use could also describe one Bill Goldberg, and I can't imagine he would be considered to be either a heel or someone that jobbed to the stars, having lost 6 matches in WCW. He destroyed primarily jobbers, yet he never became a jobber to the stars. The same can be said for the men you named like Vader and Yokozuna, which brings me to this.

A. Whether or not we acknowledge it, these heel monsters such as Vader and Yoko did actually wind up doing the job to the babyface. For every Vader, there’s a Sting. For every Yokozuna, there’s a Bret Hart. Whatever the case may be, all heels wind up having to do the job to the babyface at some point. Otherwise, we wouldn’t watch to see the face get his vengeance.

Very, very true. This is the basic fundamental of wrestling: the face triumphs over the heel and reclaims the glory, or typically the championship, to win the day. However, in those two cases, the heels did indeed remain dominant for a good while. Yoko's main run lasted 280 days, which is tied for the second longest heel title reign in WWF history. Vader's was the second longest ever, second to only Hollywood's epic year plus reign. So yes, while it's true that the faces will triumph over the heel in the end, these two held the title for incredibly long lengths of time. When titles are held for this long, it's not a transition but rather a tradition (you can shoot me for sounding that corny). Monsters such as those two not only win world titles, but they have very long reigns with them.

Another aspect to just this is the failure of the Sting theory. Not only did the heels reign longer with the titles, but they reigned more often. Using these same two people, let's look at their title reigns briefly.

Vader-three reigns, defeated Sting, Sting and Ron Simmons, lost to Ron Simmons, Sting, Ric Flair.
Yokozuna-two reigns, defeated Bret Hart and Hulk Hogan, lost to Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart

See what I mean? Not only was there no consistent face to challenge them, in most cases the heel had the last laugh, with only Bret Hart having the final title victory. My point here is simple: while these men got big by dominating jobbers, they did indeed remain dominant by destroying top faces in the final matches of their feuds.

Granted, you go on to agree with this by calling them juggernauts, but your theory of a face being there to counter them is incorrect. Yes indeed the face ultimately wins, but look how much more dominant the heel looks in the process. They win the title more often and they hold it longer. How does that not make them look better?

Now, with regards to Foley, I certainly wouldn't think he played a monster. As you've said, the monsters are usually far bigger. Foley certainly wasn't bigger than most men he feuded with. Taker of course towered over him, he was the same height as Austin, and a few inches shorter than Edge and Orton. His size was never an issue that was brought up other than in humorous points near the end of his career. Mankind wasn't a physical monster, but a psychological villian. He got inside of Undertaker's head and was more creepy than intimidating.

Granted, Andre also may just qualify for that juggernaut status I deemed earlier, but actually, Mick Foley and Andre The Giant actually have far more in common than you can ever imagine.

Gee I'm not sure. Not losing for 15 years (kayfabe) and towering over any and everyone isn't really that impressive. I mean, can he do a flip?

Both are “monstrosities” of this Earth, for varying reasons. Mick was a monstrosity because of his sadistic nature, and his need to inflict pain upon his opponents. Whether it was Mankind, Cactus, or even Dude, Mick just had a sick twist to his characters that otherwise made them not fit to walk this Earth as normal beings. This was your thinking man’s monster, a guy who looked nothing like societies wishes, and took out all of his frustrations on the same men that judged him. Andre, meanwhile, was certainly an abnormal human being, by our standards. I mean, come one, how many seven feet tall men do you ever see. Still, the guy was viewed as different, and wasn’t like us. He, in societies perception, was also a monster.

Cactus and Dude weren't monsters. Dude was a hippie who at his most famous period wore a suit to the ring on many occasions. Cactus wasn't crazy. he was just violent. Ok VERY violent but you get the picture. As I've said, calling Mankind a monster is a stretch to me. He was far more bizarre than scary. He was more reminiscent of the psycho than the monster, which there is certainly a huge difference. He was indeed meant to be a different kind of character, but I don't think he can be compared to anyone else or grouped with anyone else, and for one simple reason.

He wasn't booked like anyone else. With all other characters from Dolph "Kerwin White, Chavo's annoying caddie" Ziggler to Isaac "Kane" Yankem, wrestlers are given different gimmicks ALL the time. Sandman used to be a surfer. let that sink in for a bit. My point is though, never before has the change in gimmicks been made so public. Mick wasn't a man with three gimmicks. he was a man with one gimmick: he had multiple personalities. I'm sure you remember the three man interview promo he did which was genius. Either way, it wasn't attempted to be hidden. It was embraced as a mental issue where he believed he was all three of those people, which was something that had never been done before. Therefore, how can you group him with anyone else when there's nothing else like him?

But there’s something else these men have in common that makes them very similar… A likeable personality, and a sense of humor that brightened up the room. Sure, Mick’s characters could be articulate, as Mick was eloquent in real life. They (Mick’s personalities) could say things that made you laugh, and could do things you enjoyed. But deep down at the very core of their nucleus, they were all very much the same… They were bloodthirsty creatures, that wanted nothing more than your pain to help them sleep at night.

I'm not sure where you get this idea of Dude Love being incredibly violent. He was a ladies man, the embodiement of what Mick Foley thought women found sexy. Yes, both had lovable personalities. As someone said on I think Monday Night Wars, why would anyone care for this toothless freak of a human being? The same could be said of Andre, minus the tooth line. Why would anyone care? Yes they had that in common, but that's one of the few things that that they shared.

So yes, even though Mick may have had a likeable personality, he too, just like the men you mentioned, is better placed in the category of the monster.

I would have to disagree. Foley was far different from these people for reasons I've already said. You can't group him with Andre either, because Andre was never given titles. he held one tag title and a very technical world title reign. Foley was given the title three seperate times in the WWF and multiple tag titles. Also, you alluded to Andre's danger in the ring. Foley was trusted with people in the ring. It's not every person that would be trusted to be as hardcore as Foley would get. I certainly would pick Foley over Andre for a hardcore opponent as Andre's strength could be literally deadly in some of those cases.

Just wait right there, KB…. I’m just getting started.

Rock on brother man.
What you seemingly forget, KB, is that, in correlation to having more prestigious losses, Mick also had more prestigious wins. To build himself up to that superstar level, it was necessary to feed him wins against top opponents, and make him look extremely credible. While the men you’ve mentioned may have beaten some names, none of them come even close to matching the resume of Mick Foley. Has One Man Gang ever beaten The Rock, Steve Austin, The Undertaker, and Triple H? How about Gene Snitsky?

I thought so.

This is very true, but also plays right into what I said about Foley earlier on. At the end of the day, the wins that Foley had mean very little other than lines in a book. He never held the title long. He flat out lost every major feud he was ever in. Also, how often did Foley beat them in comparison to his losses? Even against the Undertaker, by far his biggest rival, his PPV record against Taker was as follows:

King of the Ring-1-0
Summerslam-2-0
Buried Alive-2-1 (Taker won the match remember)
Revenge of the Taker-2-2
King of the Ring-2-3

I'll even do you a favor and omit the match Taker beat him in clean at Good Friends Better Enemies which wasn't shown on the broadcast, but happened for the live crowd at the PPV, before Foley ever beat him at all.

See what I mean? Foley won early, but ultimately those matches meant little as far as the overall feud went. Taker won not only the last three, but the three that meant the most. Buried Alive ended the first part of the feud, Revenge of the Taker was over the belt, and King of the Ring 98 ended the feud for good. So yes, Foley did indeed win 40% of the PPV matches, but those that he won were FAR less important. The same can be said for his victory over Austin, as he won by DQ, not winning the title. He also beat Rock for the title twice, true. He also lost the title twice to the Rock, resulting in Rock ultimately winning the feud as he left it with the title. He may have beaten HHH in the past, but never for the title. HHH won at least three WWF Title matches against Foley, while Foley won two non title matches two and a half years prior to those.

My point to this is simple. Sure Foley beat those guys and none of the men that I mentioned did. And why shouldn't he have? he was a far bigger star than they were. however, at the end of the day, Foley put all three men over. He had the initial win so that the wins by the others were FAR bigger. Foley made the other people look better and gave them higher rankings on the card, therefore doing the work of a jobber. As I said, both he and Snitsky were jobbers. Foley simply did it on a higher level.

So you’ve admitted that Mick earned his way into the Title picture by defeating the WWE’s most established (arguably) babyface, and then cashing it in on a guy who defeated every single superstar that The WWF had to offer him?

AHA! I was hoping you would use this. if you remember correctly, Taker literally had the match won. He had Mankind out of it and even had time to kneel down in front of Bearer to accept the urn, but of course he never had it handed to him. At the end of the match, JR said "Paul Bearer and Mankind have defeated the Undertaker!" See what they did there? As will likely be written on his tombstone (laugh), Foley didn't win it on his own. It took the combined efforts of both men to defeat Undertaker in the match, as it did at King of the Ring that year. Foley did indeed win the match, but it was made to look like he couldn't do it on his own. It's a tiny thing, but it's very important for the sake of this. Foley did not beat Undertaker clean, plain and simple. He stole the win, so therefore it appeared as if Shawn had to beat both he and Bearer, as Bearer had been known to cheat in the past.

Your point certainly makes sense, but it's standard Foley: every big match he wins, he doesn't do it on his own.

You name it, and Shawn beat every single heel possible that there was, clean, right in the middle of the ring. But you know what name is conspicuous by his absence, KB?

That’s right, in case you never realized it, KB, there is only one heel that Shawn Michaels couldn’t put down for the count. Not Diesel, not Vader, not Bret, not Sid. Mick Foley was the one guy Shawn could not put down clean. Don’t you think that says quite a bit about how Mick was booked at the time, KB? That Shawn could go over clean over each and every one of those men, yet Mankind is the one guy that he couldn’t put down?

Right… But because Shawn got disqualified, that makes Mankind a jobber. Exactly…

Well, that's all well and good, except for one issue: Shawn DID beat him. In Your House 12: It's Time. Shawn pins Mankind after a superkick. Also, there were quite a few shenanigans in some of those Shawn wins listed, but we'll ignore that.

Sigh…. KB, you’re really stretching with these examples you’re citing here. You’re really going to compare KKB with Mankind. How’s about we make this comparison….

KKB was a fat piece of shit that couldn’t work his way out of the paper bag, and Mick was a guy that cut terrific promos, put on great matches, and provided something different for the fans to witness. Do you see the difference between these men?

Earlier you compared Snitsky and One Man Gang to Foley. And of course I wouldn't compare them. Foley has hair.

Seriously though, they can indeed be compared. Both main evented Wrestlemania. That says quite a bit about what was thought of them. Both men were jobbers, but Foley jobbed on a higher level. Sure Bundy never really did......well anything else, but that's beside the point. He was literally at the highest level you can be one minute and the next he was virtually forgotten. The point it proves is that wins and losses mean very little in wrestling. It's not a real sport, so why should wins and losses matter? If that was the case, only a handful of wrestlers would even have jobs.

Point being, just about everyone has fallen to The Undertaker. You can’t base a jobber’s resume off of that.

Sure you can. At that point, what else had Mankind done? His first night on Raw he was attacking the Undertaker and he feuded with no one other than Shawn up to Buried Alive. The Taker feud for the most part WAS his resume. Tell me, what else am I supposed to base it on at that point?

Ah, you make it seem all so romantic, KB, you really do. I mean the passion of the moment, the importance of it. I do love how you gloss over one little fact in regards to this particular match. Namely, that it was Raven’s last night in ECW. What the fuck did you expect Paul to do, have the guy who was defecting go over his guy? What type of fucking sense does that make, KB? I mean, really, what did you expect for them to do. It’s only proper etiquette for Raven to job to whoever the promoter chooses. And while Dreamer was a jobber, the boys all respected the man. Still, I argue that ECW would have kept the “Tommy can’t beat Raven” angle going for as long as they could, because people related to that need to drive away your demons. And in a way, they did keep it going as long as they could have expected. Raven was leaving, so it made absolutely zero sense for Raven to actually go over Tommy, especially when Raven has one foot out of the door.

One thing stops this cold: kayfabe. Sure Raven was leaving, but that wasn't official public knowledge. ECW never said that he was leaving, so at least in kayfabe (which granted meant jack shit in ECW at times), Raven had every bit of the reason to win. To bet against him would be like betting against the Harlem Globetrotters. There was no reason at all (in kayfabe) to think that Dreamer would win, period.

Unless, you know, his competition is leaving for another promotion. Then, backstage etiquette kicks in, and the departed does the job for his intended man.

Of course Raven did the job. He had to. No one is questioning that. The reason for the angle ending isn't the point. Even if Raven was staying, the win for Dreamer was always going to be HUGE. It was written perfectly, but it was always coming no matter what Raven was going to do. His leaving simply caused them to pull the trigger on it. Naturally Raven got beaten, but that was inevitable. It wasn't about would it happen but when. Raven's leaving answered that question very quickly.

Again, I love how much you simplify all that feud did for The Undertaker. Without Mankind, The Undertaker wouldn’t have been forced to face his inner dark side. Consider this analogy here, and let me know if it works…. The Undertaker, in a way, was always Harvey Dent. He was the conscious of the WWE, and the man that did away with evil doers quicker than you can say “Tombstone Piledriver”. Meanwhile, we’ll cast Mankind in the role of The Joker. He was a maniacal anti social man who luxuriously bathed in the agony of his opponents. Mankind actually got more of a victory, as he was the first man to bring The WWE’s white knight down to “his” level, and prove that even the conscious of the WWE can be brought down. Sure, Mankind may have seemed like he didn’t win the war, but he got more out of The Undertaker than any man not named Kane has. He was the first man to set in motion the sadistic and dark Undertaker we have on display now. Mankind corrupted The Undertaker. And it wasn’t even that hard.

This would be perfect and undebatable...if it was the case. For one thing, Joker won the war with Harvey Dent. Second, when was Taker ever a white knight? He was a zombie/demon. How white is that? There was nothing pure about him. As for Mankind bringing the dark side out of Taker, that's simply not what happened. Watch the Hell in a Cell match. Lawler clearly says that VINCE challenged Undertaker to be more ruthless. It's just after they're inside the cell and Taker hits Foley with the steps on the outside.

Wow…. That is a horrendous comparison on your part, KB. It’s not as if Mick was sitting there at ringside watching Steve and Trips pound the crap out of one another. No, he did quite a bit of damage to both men. You and I both know it. Sure, it was a shock, and maybe it wouldn’t have happened if Steve didn’t refuse to job to Trips (allegedly). But let me put this out there, KB… This was the last match between Steve and Mick, right? This was the last match they would ever have, no? Well, by your fucking Undertaker logic, wouldn’t that mean that Mankind went over the top superstar of The Attitude Era?

Precisely…. And not only that, but if I really wanted to get literal with it, Mankind always had the upper hand on Steve. Read: Dude may have lost to Steve, but Mankind never did. Mankind beat him at the 1998 Survivor Series, and also beat him that night. So if we really look at it, Mankind pretty much has Steve’s number.

God… Maybe they handed The Attitude Era over to the wrong guy.

If we were using my Undertaker logic, then true. However, it's a good thing we're not as this is a totally different case. This is the case for one reason. The Undertaker logic is about a long running feud. Austin and Foley had TWO singles matches. Mankind was thrown in out of absolutely nowhere for Summerslam 99. What purpose was there to have him in this match, other than the alleged Steve won't let HHH pin him? That's right, there was no need for it. Foley pinned Steve, but they had zero interaction for over a year. The small bit of history that they had was a part of Austin vs. Vince. Foley was referred to as "Vince's Guy" to take the title off Austin. FOley was merely a pawn (ok more like a bishop or a knight) in Vince's war against Austin. Once Austin beat him, their interaction ended. Summerslam 99 wasn't a part of Austin and Foley's feud. It was them being in a match together. If what you're saying was true, then anytime any two people that have feuded are in the Royal Rumble together, their feud is continuing. Others are involved, and despite there being no recent animosity between them, they're in the same match. How does that continue the feud between them?

To save some space I won't bother quoting your history of Rock vs. Mankind. However, my reply is so what? Rock didn't beat Mankind cleanly, but HE WAS A HEEL! The whole point of heels is they don't care how they win, as long as they win. At the end of the feud, Rock left with the title. That's all that mattered to him, which is how it was supposed to go. The clean part didn't matter there, because at the end of the day, Mankind was left with nothing, while Rock was headlining Wrestlemania 15.

Also, sure Mankind had him beat with the Claw. Shamrock's chair shot is exactly the same as Austin's, because both were perfectly legal. Same exact thing.

Ok, KB…. Let’s just consider all of the names in ECW that could have potentially taken part in this feud…

That is why Tommy got the nod for this feud.

You're proving my argument for me. This was a storyline that was bigger than the other feuds. This was about the very life of ECW, not something inside the company. OThers were invading their territory to destroy it. Wouldn't you think that Heyman could have easily changed the booking around to take care of Lawler and then move things back to the way they were? ECW prided itself on being a family and being all in it together, so I'd think that even in kayfabe they would have been able to cut things off and get rid of Lawler, then go back to business.

However, that's not what happened. Heyman had anyone he wanted to choose, but he picked Dreamer. As you said, Dreamer was the people's champion. he had been built up as the man of the people and was the chosen defender of ECW. It was the major storyline as it was about the ECW lifestyle, not the ECW title. Which is more important? The title, or the company that the title represents? That sounds like an easy choice to me.

Well, they actually did worse to Tommy…. Did you see him get any air time on TV? Did you see him wrestler any significant matches for the Alliance? And you know why? Because the WWE needed to make The Alliance look strong. And the last thing they needed was a guy who constantly jobbed doing the bill once more

And here in lies the problem of the Alliance angle as a whole. At Survivor Series, the blowoff of the angle, the Alliance team was Austin, Angle, Shane, RVD and Booker. Three WWF guys on that list. See my point? Vince didn't see ECW as a credible threat so he had to put in his own guys to make it believable. And this is why Foley is the better jobber when you boil everything else away. Foley did it on the biggest stage there was, not in a glorified indy company.

Also, Dreamer got TV time. He even had a gimmick: the gross guy. Remember the eating cookies during Milk-a-Mania?

As for the difference of opinion, that may be. However, the title win is what is remembered, not the loss to Justin, at least not to me. As for the Hardy comparison, the difference is that Hardy hasn't been someone that hadn't won any singles title until that point. Dreamer had been the guy that was the voice of the fans, and it was a FAR bigger moment.

You really mean to tell me Tommy has the skill of Triple H, or The Undertaker? What about Jack Swagger, even?

Different roster. Dreamer isn't on Raw or Smackdown, so the comparison is different. I worded that badly.

I find this so funny, KB. So we should hold it against Mick Foley that he held the belt for a short amount of time, but we shouldn’t care that Tommy had a reign that was a fraction of Mick’s shortest reign.

You’re really contradicting yourself on that one, KB.

True indeed. However, while Foley is a three time champion, how often is that what he's remembered for? How many times do you see his three title wins being shown or referenced? How often do you see or hear the cage throw, in a loss, being referenced? It's by far his most famous moment, not a title win.

Except while Diesel is regarded as a main eventer, most people consider Kane a jobber to the stars. Hmm…

And why is he a jobber to the stars? Because he won the world title. Without that win, he isn't on this level. The reign barely existed, but that win makes Kane a credible challenger for the rest of his career, because he did it once before and he could do it again.

And honestly, KB, what jobber is a draw?

Foley is a good place to start. He headlined Mania. I'd say that makes him a pretty big draw.

Nice try, but while the smarks will claim to the High Heavens they love Cactus, most wrestling fans know Mick Foley as Mankind. It’s his most famous gimmick in the states, and his most famous gimmick in an American promotion

Yes, but how many times has Mankind come back to put people over? Very few if any. Cactus comes back for the big match. It was also Cactus that got Foley hired, not Dude Love or Mankind.

You ever find it funny that The Undertaker stood up for Bret, yet also worked for Vince for another fucking twelve years without saying a damn word? Consider it an isolated incident on Mark’s part. Besides, Mark didn’t seem to mind too much when he was working with Shawn for the WWE Title two months later. Taker has had one complaint, and has otherwise towed the company line. Mick has had multiple incidents of lashing out at his former bookers. He did it to Eric, Paul, and Vince. And you can bet your Ass he’ll do it to Dixie and Jeff when he’s done with TNA. It’s just what Mick does.

Not a fair comparison to make. Taker's character prevents him from being able to make public comments like this. Were he to ever write a book, it would kill his character. I'm sure that he's had several complaints of his own though.

Well yeah, but he owes it to Vince, who made him a best selling author and a three time World Champion, to at least not go to the fucking dirt sheets about his problems, and put it out for the entire world to see. Has Mark ever done that? Has any company man?

Strange, I don't seem to remember Vince writing down all those things or being in those matches. Foley was already a big name before he went to Vince. Vince gave him a bigger platform, but to say that he made Foley a bestselling author is ridiculous. Also, Foley got over with the fans in the same way Dreamer did: by never giving up. It was the Rocky Balboa story, about the guy from nowhere that became the best, even for a very short time.

Foley owed or owes Vince nothing at all. Foley made Vince a lot of money over the years. I'd call them even.

Mick even put it best in his anti ECW promo one Monday Night Raw… The only difference between he and Tommy Dreamer is that Mick’s a ****e, and Tommy’s not. Where as Mick always has to make the subject about himself, in his mind, Tommy does no such thing… I distinctly remember hearing on one of those WWE roundtables, Mick talking about gimmicks

Sure he is, and now let's compare where they are now. Dreamer is around for more or less nostalgia anymore, while Foley was world champion earlier this summer. Foley has capitalized on his name and he's far wealthier and better off for it, and I'd assume far much more financially secure than Dreamer. Sure he's a ****e for his own name, but it's paid off.

Sure Dreamer never bitched about ECW, and why should he? It's kept him employed even to this very day. However, let's look at those names.

Raven
Shane Douglas
Justin Credible
Rhino

Are you trying to compare those four to these?

Undertaker
Steve Austin
Rock
HHH

That's what it comes down to at the end of the day. Dreamer put over guys that are midcard guys in the big promotions. Foley put over guys that are legends of the business. Foley won titles, but he did it to elevate himself higher so that the rub he gave others would launch them into superstar territory. Think of it like a seesaw. Without that first push, the other person isn't going to go far at all. Foley was put up high not to make him look good in the end, but to make the people that were beating him look better. Dreamer did a similar thing, but on nowhere near as big of a scale.

No. Even though you have great points Mick Foley is not a jobber by any means. He is a future HOF(Even though he works for TNA he deserves to be in it) he is a legend and most importantly 4 time world champion. First of all we have to clarify what jobber is to judge Foley as a jobber.

What does jobber mean:
Jobber means a wrestler that is used for losing to person. Jobbers generally do not have gimmicks,entrances and even entrance themes. Jobbers' matches generally last 5 minutes and their job is to only sell their opponents offense most effectively they can. They don't involve in storylines or feuds they are just peoples to be beaten. For example Chavo Guerrero is the most popular jobber right now. His job is to lose Hornswoggle. Even him cannot be considered as a jobber because he actually has some tv time and sometimes involve in storylines. So Mick Foley does not match by any means to meaning of jobber.

Why do WWE use jobbers:
WWE and other promotions have many reasons to use them. Jobbers are generally used to hype new wrestler. The new young wrestler needs to gain some credibility but if he gets victories against midcarders it would make midcarders look shit. So WWE uses jobbers to make the fix. Jobbers are also used for hyping monsters. For example look at Kozlov and Ezekiel they beat up a jobber week after week to look more dominant. In these situations jobbers' job is selling like they are dominated. Jobbers can also be use for comedy factors. Just to make people laugh by them losing. Santino Marella is the biggest example for this. WWE use him for comedy. Again Foley does not fit any of this categories.

What is jobber's purpose:
Make his opponent look good while he is being dominated. In other words sell their opponent's offense at best they can. But again even though Foley lost all of his important matches he always looked gold.

Why don't I think Foley is not a jobber:
The reason is simple he was not someone that WWE used for being dominated. Look how was he booked. Before 98 he was booked as an unstoppable monster that even got lots of victories against Undertaker and after 97 he was booked like someone who does not back off from a fight willing to give everything he has but still can't make his dreams true. The thing people can't understand is putting people over does not mean you are a jobber. If this logic was true Edge would be considered as the biggest jobber right now. If you watch Edge's match with Funaki you would see how competitive their matches were. Edge have never ever had a clean victory over a main eventer and sometimes need against upper midcarders. His longest reign only lasted 4 months. He lost more than he won when he was champion. But not only Edge is considered as one of the biggest main eventers in WWE right now he is also considered as a future HOF. Same things can be said for Foley. Foley is not a jobber because jobber is someone maybe people don't have an idea what his name is but people cared and wanted to watch Foley. That's why even though people knew they watched RAW to see Foley winning the title. He tapped out for the first time in his career in TNA. It's a fact that he lost all of his important matches but that does not make him a jobber. Jobber does not mean someone who loses his important matches. Foley wasn't supposed to be jobber. He was great at putting people over so WWE used his this ability but WWE also uses Edge,Finlay,Jericho... to put people over ? Does that make them jobbers ?

I respect your points. You're right if we look at abilities of putting someone over. Foley would be the best but Shawn Michaels is at the same position Foley was at that time. Losing all of his important matches and putting young wrestlers over. But he is considered as an uppermidcarder/main eventer right now. So telling Foley was a jobber would be a big mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back