Michael Cole is Atrocious

gd

Plump, Juicy User
Now this isn't your typical "WWE ANUMOICING SUX1" thread. It's not even about how the WWE needs more heel announcers or how commentators should be like they were in the "old days." No, this thread is about one man and one man only, Michael Cole, and how terrible he is.

Whether he's on Raw ("O My! What a historic night! We have Kofi Kingston v. Cody Rhodes and my mother as guest host!") or on NXT ("All the rookies fucking suck"). Cole is terrible. He can't play the role of either a face or a heel and the fact that he tries to play both just makes it that much worse. Vitrtually everything that comes out of his mouth is annoying. Last Monday, I literally changed the channel because I couldn't stand to listen to him anymore. Now there have been some bad announcers in wrestling over the past few years, but none have made me want to change the channel.

I ask, why does Michael Cole have a job? He's the most annoying person on the planet to listen to, yet his job is to talk for extended periods of time? I don't get it. Sure, there probably aren't that many people jumping at the bit to become the next WWE commentator, but there has to be someone out there better than Cole. Please fire him immeadiately.

Love,
Me

Michael Cole is underrated on Raw and easily one of the best things about NXT. It's not his fault that he has nothing to play off of on the former, because King doesn't care anymore and hasn't since Jim Ross left the red brand. When he plays the heel on NXT, the banter between him and Matthews is often great stuff, and I think his hatred of Daniel Bryan is quite enjoyable and makes it clear that Bryan has to prove himself before he earns the respect of even the commentators. But overall the guy's never been bad and he gets a lot of shit now because people expect him to be Jim Ross, who he's not obviously, but he's a good enough alternative if you ask me. And his catchphrases are just plain awesome. VINTAGE!

Michael Cole is underrated on Raw and easily one of the best things about NXT. It's not his fault that he has nothing to play off of on the former, because King doesn't care anymore and hasn't since Jim Ross left the red brand. When he plays the heel on NXT, the banter between him and Matthews is often great stuff, and I think his hatred of Daniel Bryan is quite enjoyable and makes it clear that Bryan has to prove himself before he earns the respect of even the commentators. But overall the guy's never been bad and he gets a lot of shit now because people expect him to be Jim Ross, who he's not obviously, but he's a good enough alternative if you ask me. And his catchphrases are just plain awesome. VINTAGE!

I don't think it's the stuff he has to say. Obviously there isn't much interesting insight you can give as a wrestling commentator, but someone like Grisham is dealing with the same circumstances and isn't nearly as annoying. Cole isn't going to be another JR, no one will. That being said, it doesn't mean he has to be an absolute piece of shit. Usually I love heel commentators (see: West, Don), but Cole simply can't pull it off. It's painful to watch NXT with those two talking, even worse than when Cole goes into generic mode on Raw. I don't understand how such an uniteresting, annoying man can be a wrestling commentator.

I don't get all the Michael Cole hate. He's a better commentator than JR has been. Cole knows the names of moves and doesn't mess them up like JR did a lot. He can play the face very well and he shows passion. Maybe not as much as he used to on Smackdown, but I don't mind. He has done a good job as a heel on NXT even though it's only targeted to Bryan. Jerry Lawler not doing jack shit doesn't help Cole much either. If King could go back to the way he was around 2003-2004, then you would see Cole doing better. He's fine with me and always has been.

I don't think it's the stuff he has to say. Obviously there isn't much interesting insight you can give as a wrestling commentator, but someone like Grisham is dealing with the same circumstances and isn't nearly as annoying. Cole isn't going to be another JR, no one will. That being said, it doesn't mean he has to be an absolute piece of shit. Usually I love heel commentators (see: West, Don), but Cole simply can't pull it off. It's painful to watch NXT with those two talking, even worse than when Cole goes into generic mode on Raw. I don't understand how such an uniteresting, annoying man can be a wrestling commentator.

You should blame who is he with rather than Cole himself. Part of what made JR so great is that he could play off Lawler. For the past five years or so, Lawler has been shit so it is hard for Cole to play off of that. Cole had Taz and JBL on Smackdown and that is when he was at his best. True he can be a bit biased at times but JR thought Austin could do no wrong. If you want to talk about annoying, then look no further than Grisham and Striker. Striker used to be entertaining and now he's just annoying with the dribble he spits out.

I don't think it's the stuff he has to say. Obviously there isn't much interesting insight you can give as a wrestling commentator, but someone like Grisham is dealing with the same circumstances and isn't nearly as annoying.
No, Grisham is not dealing with the same circumstances, because they have different partners. King is clearly a shell of his former shelf, he doesn't give two shits these days and is probably just looking for his paycheck. Striker is basically the opposite, a guy who is incredibly passionate about his wrestling and who is pretty much a heel, so it's much easier for Grisham to play off of him.
Cole isn't going to be another JR, no one will. That being said, it doesn't mean he has to be an absolute piece of shit. Usually I love heel commentators (see: West, Don), but Cole simply can't pull it off. It's painful to watch NXT with those two talking, even worse than when Cole goes into generic mode on Raw. I don't understand how such an uniteresting, annoying man can be a wrestling commentator.
To each his own, but I find West about ten times more annoying than Cole will ever be. NXT is definitely not painful to watch for me, Matthews has always been a great, underrated commentator and I love the banter between him and Cole, it's like two nerds arguing over a game of Yugioh, hilarious stuff. And again, Cole is in "generic mode" on Raw because of King.

You should blame who is he with rather than Cole himself. Part of what made JR so great is that he could play off Lawler. For the past five years or so, Lawler has been shit so it is hard for Cole to play off of that. Cole had Taz and JBL on Smackdown and that is when he was at his best.

JR was with King in the past five years as well, and he was at least serviceable AKA didn't make me want to change the channel. In fact, at this point I don't think there's really anyone in the WWE who is above average, so you can't blame Cole for who he's working with, because everyone is working with the same thing. They may all be bad, but Cole is doubley, even tripley bad.

True he can be a bit biased at times but JR thought Austin could do no wrong.

There's nothing wrong with his bias, heel commentators are pretty Cole. But the fact that he's super duper face on Raw and complete douchebag heel on NXT is just stupid. And the fact that Cole just doesn't have the voice/ability/moustasche to be a decen heel commentator certainly doesn't help.

If you want to talk about annoying, then look no further than Grisham and Striker. Striker used to be entertaining and now he's just annoying with the dribble he spits out

At least Striker is giving us something different by taking stuff so seriously and mixing it up a little bit. If I have to here Cole say "The One Man Rockband" one more time I may shoot myself.

It all comes down to the quesiton, If you could choose anyone to announce in the WWE, who would it be? Michael Cole sholdn't break the top 100 million.

Now this isn't your typical "WWE ANUMOICING SUX1" thread.
Yes it is. Just because you say it's not doesn't change the fact it is. You're complaining because Michael Cole isn't as good as the older announcers used to be.

The problem with Michael Cole is not that he sucks, it's that he has yet to figure out how to call a show, with Vince yelling in his ear, AND with Cole making it seem as if he's legitimate. What I mean is that when Cole calls a show, he comes across as fake, like he truly isn't excited by the product he's calling, or he's truly not surprised. It's actually not uncommon today, you see the same thing with the wrestlers not being themselves, but an obvious character poorly played.

If Michael Cole could ever learn to sound as if he's calling a legitimate contest, as opposed to something he knows is scripted, he could be a very good commentator. Only time will tell if he'll ever reach that level.

Michael Cole is terrible, he tries to be exciting but fails miserably. In the Taker vs Michaels match he screamed Hellgate about 5 times trying to sound like he was excited but he just sounded like an idiot. To be honest its really obvious the WWE misses JR none of these other commentators come even close to him.

Michael Cole is terrible, he tries to be exciting but fails miserably. In the Taker vs Michaels match he screamed Hellgate about 5 times trying to sound like he was excited but he just sounded like an idiot. To be honest its really obvious the WWE misses JR none of these other commentators come even close to him.
The annoying thing to me is that WWE could have had JR at Mania if they wanted him, and chose to go with Cole, Lawler, and Striker instead.

I don't know what it is with them and JR but they always seem to be looking for ways to push his buttons. I understand that with his health issues that he's probably never going to be a regular WWE commentator again, but he was in town for Mania, live at the show, and he would have made it a whole lot better. His voice on the retirement of Shawn Michaels would have just made that historic moment a lot more special, rather than King's lame and halfhearted, "Well...that's it. Goodbye."

The annoying thing to me is that WWE could have had JR at Mania if they wanted him, and chose to go with Cole, Lawler, and Striker instead.

I don't know what it is with them and JR but they always seem to be looking for ways to push his buttons. I understand that with his health issues that he's probably never going to be a regular WWE commentator again, but he was in town for Mania, live at the show, and he would have made it a whole lot better. His voice on the retirement of Shawn Michaels would have just made that historic moment a lot more special, rather than King's lame and halfhearted, "Well...that's it. Goodbye."

That Matt Striker is by far the worst, he just doesnt sound right. He should be presenting Kids TV.

Yeah there didnt seem to be emotion from the commentary team when Shawn lost. I mean its the end of one of the greatest in ring careers ever and they half-assed it. JR would have blown his lungs out, you would have felt the emotion but Cole, Striker and even Jerry the King just never sound like they can be bothered to me.

I dont think the problem is Michael Cole. He is not a bad play by play guy. The problem is Jerry Lawler. Not him personally. It's because Lawler is a face. Look back at all the great announce teams in wrestling history.

McMahon/Ventura = Face/Heel - classic
Monsoon/Ventura = Face/Heel - classic
Monsoon/Heenan = Face/Heel - classic
McMahon/Heenan = Face/Heel - classic
McMahon/Lawler = Face/Heel - classic
Ross/Lawler = Face/Heel - classic
Schiavoni/Heenan = Face/Heel - classic

You need to have the play by play guy building up the babyface and the color guy tearing down the babyface and building up the heel. That is JUST how it is. Creative teams do not realize what a pivitol role the commentary team plays in building feuds, characters, wrestlers, storylines, etc. It is a neccessity!

Cole is terrible. Absolutely awful. He's got no charisma and really should have been fired. The best thing he's ever done is be called Mitchell Cole by The Rock, and he wasn't even present. An always great segment I remember are Rock and Coach segments. I can't think of anything good Cole did as an interviewer, so what did they do? They stuck him on the B show, where he could hopefully grow. Sadly, he did not. But on Smackdown he was bearable. He didn't make the show better but he didn't make it worse. Not so on Raw.

Cole is a joke and he and every one knows it. Since being on Raw he has contributed to no entertainment. Michael Cole is negative entertainment. Could this be blamed on McMahon being in his ear? For a good announcer, yeah, but Cole's never been charismatic. Since his beginning of being Rock's buttmonkey and a lesser Coach to being the play-by-play for Raw he has never shown an announce of charisma. He really is either the luckiest man on the planet or the most shrew backstage player ever. My guess is that he's either a yes man to McMahon or doesn't question anything while JR wanted to make the product better and questioned odd things, thus explaining their vastly different treatments.

I've watched Impact more to get away from Cole than anything. I'll be watching a boring Raw segment but feel too lazy to grab the remote and then Cole starts his either giggling, overacting, faux shock, or trying to be serious act and I gain the power to reach the foot over and change the channel.

My go to when people say Cole isn't bad is imagine if Cole had been in JR's place for the Undertaker/Mankind HiaC. What added to the shock and awe was JR actually commenting on it. I won't say Cole would yell Vintage, as that is a bit much, but he would not have added what JR did, if anything at all.

Wow, a lot more love for "Mitchel" Cole on here than I thought there would be. The man sucks. I have been watching wrestling since the mid-late 80's (consistently watching), and I have never heard a less emotional, more useless play-by-play guy than Michael Cole.

Jerry Lawlers fault? No matter how you slice it, it is NOT Lawlers fault. Sure, Lawler has lost a step..or ten. But if anyone is limited in what they can say, it's Lawler, not Cole. I'm sorry, but Jerry Lawler sat along side Jim Ross for a long time, and was a great commentator, nearly the whole way. Lawler never hurt Ross, so that argument just doesn't hold water.

Michael Cole detracts from matches. His unemotional, non-caring delivery is just awful. He obviously cares, but he doesn't show it, or can't show it, either way. Jim Ross used to add to the energy of a match (for tv viewers). He would make a situation seem "big." I just don't see that from Cole. Sure, he tells us it's big, but shows zero emotion while doing.

So I guess I am comparing him to guys who came before him..because that's what you do. Out of all of the years I have watched pro wrestling, I cannot think of a less interesting play-by-play guy. Monsoon was better. Ross was better. Hell, McMahon, Schiavone, Tenay, and even the freakin Coach showed more emotion than Cole.

To me, it isn't about who doesn't make mistakes, who knows the names of the most moves, etc. It's about emotion. This is a FAKE sport. I don't care if they make mistakes when calling a match, as long as they are able to cover for it with some sort of entertaining dialogue. This IS entertainment. And Michael Cole is the total opposite of entertaining.

I don't get all the Michael Cole hate. He's a better commentator than JR has been. Cole knows the names of moves and doesn't mess them up like JR did a lot. He can play the face very well and he shows passion. Maybe not as much as he used to on Smackdown, but I don't mind. He has done a good job as a heel on NXT even though it's only targeted to Bryan. Jerry Lawler not doing jack shit doesn't help Cole much either. If King could go back to the way he was around 2003-2004, then you would see Cole doing better. He's fine with me and always has been.

You my friend know nothing, and I doubt you really watch or pay attention to anything. The fact that you said "Cole knows the names of all the moves" sums everything up for you.

He knows the names of WHAT MOVES!?! Really dude go listen to any wrestling match Cole is calling, and you tell me which wrestling moves he knows. Because you watch a match of him calling Cena & w/e hes wrestling, and about the only move you hear is the Attitude Adjustment and thats it. When Cena hits a clothesline or shoulder block Cole sure the fuck doesn't say "clothesline by Cena" or "Cena hits the shoulder block" no instead Cole just says "LOOOOK AT that" in the middle of him talking about a storyline and not the match. The guy says a total of about 2-3 moves all match long out of about 10-50 that do happen in a match. Its like if you closed your eyes you wouldn't have a clue whats going on.

And Cole is suppose to be the guy calling all the moves, while King is suppose to be the color guy telling you about the story and playing along rather then telling all the moves. WWE's problem is on there shows you get 2 color guys or some times at ppv's you get 3 color guys calling matches, and thats why there a total mess.

Listen to play by play on any sport in the world and you just don't get 2 people giving out the same information. Like on a baseball game you have the one guy telling you what the pitcher just threw and if it was a strike and ball, the other guy will tell you his batting average, and maybe some information about how hes been playing. In the NFL you get one guy telling you the play thats going on like the formation and whats going on, while the other people will detail the play and break it down, maybe tell you the play they should run and so on.

Mean while in WWE you get 2 people talking about the same thing, and its one reason why people hate Cole and the others so damn much, because Vince Mcmahon is a complete moron.

Besides that point, just about everyone has disliked Cole every since he first started in the WWE. He looked like a fish out of water when he use to do the backstage work, and he looked like one calling matches, no one ever liked him EVER. And when he took over for JR back in I think 99 or 2000 or something people couldn't wait for JR to get back and take over, Cole finally took the spot on SD and no one ever liked him on that show.

But the fact is in the WWE right now, Cole doesn't do actual play by play, he just does color, the same thing the King, the Brain, and Ventura have done there whole announcing careers. As I said thats one reason Cole sucks so damn much, get JR back to doing actual play by play, let Cole do the color as a heel like he is on NXT and I bet more people would like him.

But bioshock, that's the thing. WWE is not a sporting event, it's entertainment, and the primary goal of the commentators should be to tell the stories. I mean sure, they should be calling the moves in the ring obviously, but they can't act just like every match is the same without commenting on the storyline behind it, how the competitors feel about each other, and so on. It's a much different environment, and thus I don't feel like you should be expecting the same commentary format as you would get in a baseball or football game. I don't see how Ross or anyone else is different from Cole in this respect, either.

Honestly that dude sucks ass. "OMG, he just injured his skull" and all the stupid commentary gets me REALLY pissed me off. Also, this new VINTAGE shit is so fuckn stupid. Like seriously man, What the Fuck?! The commentary in TNA is much better

The role of commentators has died over the past few years. Vince doesn't want them to talk as much so we can hear more of the ring noise. That, bioshock, is why we don't here him say "SHOULDER BLOCK BY CENA". Because it's uninteresting. He's there to make the big moves and moments seem amazing. And honestly, he's called a lot of good matches. The IWC needs to learn to move on because JR is obviously not coming back. I'd rather have him on Raw than Adamle, Striker, Grisham, or Todd. His job has always been an announcer (that job includes interviews). Yall call him fake, but listen to Lawler shout of "Punk wins! Punk wins!" in that gay ass "excited" voice of his.

Everyone always rips michael cole honestly and maybe Im just immune but I dont even notice him anymore half the time I dont pay attention to anything he says and he at least comes off as low key compared to matt striker and his constant babbling and arguing with grisham. Plus and idk if this was on purpose or not but they have had several wrestlers make fun of vintage and sorta reinvented it into something funny that gets me to laugh everytime he says it. VINTAGE BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!

he is absolutly terrible they could replace him with the commentry he recorded for one of the smackdown games and you couldnt tell the difference hes just ridulously boring and predictable although lawler is pretty much the same now its probly not there fault tho i would imagine they are told what to say and how to act

He's a better commentator than JR has been.
Um... what? :confused:

I never in my wildest nightmares did I think I would ever see that phrase written, spoken or signed.

JR is a legend who will be fondly remembered by wrestling fans for decades. Michael Cole will be forgotten the minute he is no longer associated with WWE.

To even suggest that Cole, on his best day, was ever better than JR, on his worst day, is both an insult to our collective intelligence and to your knowledge as a wrestling fan.

In my lifetime there have been three great play-by-play men: JR, Gordon Solie, Joey Styles. Michael Cole isn't fit to tie these men's shoes.

You my friend know nothing, and I doubt you really watch or pay attention to anything. The fact that you said "Cole knows the names of all the moves" sums everything up for you.

He knows the names of WHAT MOVES!?! Really dude go listen to any wrestling match Cole is calling, and you tell me which wrestling moves he knows. Because you watch a match of him calling Cena & w/e hes wrestling, and about the only move you hear is the Attitude Adjustment and thats it. When Cena hits a clothesline or shoulder block Cole sure the fuck doesn't say "clothesline by Cena" or "Cena hits the shoulder block" no instead Cole just says "LOOOOK AT that" in the middle of him talking about a storyline and not the match. The guy says a total of about 2-3 moves all match long out of about 10-50 that do happen in a match. Its like if you closed your eyes you wouldn't have a clue whats going on.

And Cole is suppose to be the guy calling all the moves, while King is suppose to be the color guy telling you about the story and playing along rather then telling all the moves. WWE's problem is on there shows you get 2 color guys or some times at ppv's you get 3 color guys calling matches, and thats why there a total mess.

Listen to play by play on any sport in the world and you just don't get 2 people giving out the same information. Like on a baseball game you have the one guy telling you what the pitcher just threw and if it was a strike and ball, the other guy will tell you his batting average, and maybe some information about how hes been playing. In the NFL you get one guy telling you the play thats going on like the formation and whats going on, while the other people will detail the play and break it down, maybe tell you the play they should run and so on.

Mean while in WWE you get 2 people talking about the same thing, and its one reason why people hate Cole and the others so damn much, because Vince Mcmahon is a complete moron.

Besides that point, just about everyone has disliked Cole every since he first started in the WWE. He looked like a fish out of water when he use to do the backstage work, and he looked like one calling matches, no one ever liked him EVER. And when he took over for JR back in I think 99 or 2000 or something people couldn't wait for JR to get back and take over, Cole finally took the spot on SD and no one ever liked him on that show.

But the fact is in the WWE right now, Cole doesn't do actual play by play, he just does color, the same thing the King, the Brain, and Ventura have done there whole announcing careers. As I said thats one reason Cole sucks so damn much, get JR back to doing actual play by play, let Cole do the color as a heel like he is on NXT and I bet more people would like him.

Go watch JR over his past few years and tell me how many moves he messed up. In all honesty, Cole shouldn't have to do that job as it is supposed to be Lawler's job. That's why Taz was so good with Cole. Taz had insight since he was a former wrestler and knew the moves the wrestlers did. Everybody builds JR up like he's a god when the fact is he hasn't been on top of his game for almost a decade.

Um... what? :confused:

I never in my wildest nightmares did I think I would ever see that phrase written, spoken or signed.

JR is a legend who will be fondly remembered by wrestling fans for decades. Michael Cole will be forgotten the minute he is no longer associated with WWE.

To even suggest that Cole, on his best day, was ever better than JR, on his worst day, is both an insult to our collective intelligence and to your knowledge as a wrestling fan.

In my lifetime there have been three great play-by-play men: JR, Gordon Solie, Joey Styles. Michael Cole isn't fit to tie these men's shoes.

I do suggest. Have you watched JR lately? He was terrible. Half the time he got the Twist of Fate and Whisper in the Wind mixed up. Lawler didn't help him out any with his terrible commentating. Early JR was great and later JR hasn't come close to that.

Couldn't agree more. With the exception of Todd Grisham and sometimes Jerry Lawler, WWE commentating is in the crapper. Even JBL could do better than Cole, Matthews, Striker...

The problem with Michael Cole is that he cant work off of his partner. It's complete awkwardness, like he cant read social cues or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back