Michael Cole Homophobic Slur

There's a difference between "Freedom of Speech" and just being stupid. Cole was being stupid.

Why would he think it was a good idea, to not only use the slur on an account that EVERYONE knows about, but to use it after Cena was in hot water for the same thing (which was tamer than Cole's words and wasn't all that bad) is just dumb on his part.

We live in a day and age that social network sites are monitored by everyone! Fans, the media, even higher ups in companies. Did he not think there'd be backlash for this? Did he really think he was that untouchable just because he's getting a push? If so, then he needs to be knocked down and peg and realize that nobody is untouchable and what he did was dead wrong and definitely was poor timing.

He deserves what's coming to him because it's moments like these that make wrestling look bad. Cole messed up and he needs to be punished for this.

And for those who are saying GLAAD is in the wrong and this is freedom of speech, read the Constitution. Freedom of speech doesn't cover derogatory terms or purposely hateful speech. This is clearly both.

It doesn't make it right and it doesn't make it wrong. It's a word that certain people give power to and that is why people find it funny or offensive. Everyone has the ability to change how they give meaning to things.

If you are one of those who get up-in-arms everytime a slur is said, then you and that person saying it are BOTH at fault for perpetuating it. It's a fucking word that doesn't mean shit anymore to people who don't care about such things. Telling someone not to use it is in the same ballpark as them telling you not to be one. You're just too stupid to see that.

If you are gay and being gay is what you use as a basis for your identity, then you'll never move past. Basing your identity off of your sexual preference is as vapid as one can be. Try basing your identity off of a combination of your personailty traits/quirks and your actions towards to and in society.

Don't EVER confuse the word "******" with any racial slur. They are completely different. Those are based off of ethnicity and as people grow older and continue to mix that is going to slowly disappear.

There are many states that have come to their senses and removed the ban from all things gay. In those states you can get married and be as miserable as any other married couple. Nobody cares if you're gay. "******" doesn't come from the sexual preference, it comes from the outrageous attention-grabbing behavior exhibited by those who use that sexual preference as the basis of their identity.

It's an ugly word when used in the wrong context. But it's not as bad as a racial slur.

Mike Cole will be fine after this ordeal. We all will be fine.

To someone who is NOT GAY, Of course not, but as said, You people have no problem with negative words being used, Its show and proven, So I'm just done trying to argue a moot point. Anything negative always gets supported nowadays. Especially in the wrestling community, so I don't know why I'm trying to have a mature conversation here, and YES, IT IS SIMILAR. Gays are part of a minority, so where blacks. Try again my friend. a slur is a slur. But like I said, Enjoy bigotry, the crowd is huge here, Im sure you'll find friends. But Im done with this crap. I don't support prejudice period, Freedom of speech be damned, I don't support that kind of shit

AND THANK YOU jay_dee, someone that actually knows the difference of freedom of speech and the constitution.

I think we easily see Cole get the "Andy Kauffman" treatment and get demolished in the match....and while he's out "injured"...he's serving a long term suspension.

Lawler gives 3 or 4 piledrivers to Cole.

And for those that are holding up the "Freedom of Speech" shield....yes...we do have freedom of speech...you can say whatever you like...but always remember their are repercussions for what you say. Your employer/school/etc also has the right to punish you for said speech if it is harmful to their organization.

I think we easily see Cole get the "Andy Kauffman" treatment and get demolished in the match....and while he's out "injured"...he's serving a long term suspension.

Lawler gives 3 or 4 piledrivers to Cole.

And for those that are holding up the "Freedom of Speech" shield....yes...we do have freedom of speech...you can say whatever you like...but always remember their are repercussions for what you say. Your employer/school/etc also has the right to punish you for said speech if it is harmful to their organization.

Im happy that two to three people actually have the adult way of thinking, and not the ''whateva whateva, Ill do what I wont'' mentality of alot of the thread posters.

Say what you want, yes, but you should easily know that what you say has consequences, and take them on the chin when you feel the need to ''say what you want''. To prove how wrong saying things like ****** are...Stand up at your job and call your boss, or even a co-worker a ******, then say, get over , your too sensitive, then re-read the constitution in the unemployment line

It's only "Tolerance" if you "Tolerate" exactly what GLAAD wants you to tolerate.

Screw 'em. Cole did nothing wrong here and people need to get over themselves. When I was young, we learned the phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones...."

Gays need to stop trying to force everyone to love their lifestyle and gayness. All that intolerance by gays does is create a negative backlash. If someone wants to say "******" or the hetero equivalent "****", then go ahead - it's a free country.

What next - will women try to outlaw the phrase "Douchebag"???

If Michael Cole really is homophobic, it's a shame that he feels that way. He definitely should have known better than to say something like that on Twitter as I fail to see how he couldn't expect some negative consequences out of it. Due to the internet, particularly sites like Twitter, Facebook, My Space and others, people are more connected and generally in on each other's business more than ever.

According to something I read a few days ago, Cole will be included in some sort of training session being held by GLAAD. Apparently, the WWE informed the GLAAD about Cole's post before it was removed. I'm guessing that this is some sort of sensitivity classes or something along those lines.

There hasn't been quite the huge blow up about this I thought there'd be, probably because the WWE took some immediate action has something to do with it. Cole should be reprimanded in some way, but I don't think he should be fired over this unless something like this pops up again. Any remote possibility of Cole going over Lawler at WM this weekend, there never was a huge chance of that happening but still, will have completely evaporated due to this.

Maybe if the WWE would have let John Cena say the word "as$", they wouldn't have to resort to gay jokes. Sure it's not the best thing to say, but it is an entertainment program where fans are utlimately paying money to see the heel get crushed. If the heels wants to say the word "***" to make sure people want to tune in to watch him get destroyed, then so be it!!!

If Vince fires Cole, it is huge hypocrisy. So its ok for Vince to "sleep" around with divas and promote infidelity, yet Cole might be out over one word. HYPOCRISY!!!!!

It's only "Tolerance" if you "Tolerate" exactly what GLAAD wants you to tolerate.

Screw 'em. Cole did nothing wrong here and people need to get over themselves. When I was young, we learned the phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones...."

Gays need to stop trying to force everyone to love their lifestyle and gayness. All that intolerance by gays does is create a negative backlash. If someone wants to say "******" or the hetero equivalent "****", then go ahead - it's a free country.

What next - will women try to outlaw the phrase "Douchebag"???

You speak of gays trying to ''FOrce'' everyone to love their lifestyle. That is so far from the truth its ridiculous. They just want rights, the simple rights like being able to get married, who the hell are you or ANYONE to deny that, in a country of ''The land of the free'' get real. It was a bigot prejudice slur used by a suppose adult professional, un-called for. NOT a route for gays to shove anything in anyones face. ****** is NOT the equivalent to ****, I don't know where you got that shit, Thats just a wrong fact.

Bottom line, HE messed up, he'll be reprimanded, not fired, but to see so much bigotry on this site is sad. And don't give me that ''****** is a bundle fo sticks '' crap, Not in america it isnt.

GLAAD is really starting to make me sick. This is absolute thought control. Michael Cole didn't say ****** on WWE TV. He didn't say it on WWE.com. He said it on Twitter to a friend. Everyone I've ever know has called their friend a *** before. We have freedom of speech in this country and GLAAD tries to do away with it every day.

The real problem I have is with the fact that he has to attend sensitivity training now. Jesus Christ how much longer are we going to allow the thought police to control our lives in this country? Imagine if he had said he didn't believe in God and he was told by his boss that he had to go to bible study or he would be fired. What's the difference

If people keep letting things like this slide, freedom of speech will soon be a thing of the past. He's being punished by his work for something he said on Twitter. Soon enough there going to try to listen in to private phone calls and text messages. It's bullshit and Micheal Cole shouldn't have to apologize at all.

Vince McMahon is really the big piece of shit in all of this. That hypocritical motherfucker damn near makes me not want to watch WWE tv anymore. How many times has he made fun of gays in his company? During the Attitude Era a "homophobic" skit happened almost every week. Lets not forget the time he was looking for a new assistant on Smackdown. A gay man came down to the ring to try to get a job, and when he winked at Vince he got chased out of the ring with Vince threatened to kick his ass. How about the time at Wrestlemania 12 when Roddy Piper beat the hell out of a transgendered person to the roar of the crowd while the announcers called him a freak. Vince goes on all these ESPN interviews and says he's not afraid of anyone, yet he cowers on his knees for GLAAD? What a piece of shit.

Fuck Vince and GLAAD. Michael Cole has the right to say whatever he wants.

GLAAD is really starting to make me sick. This is absolute thought control. Michael Cole didn't say ****** on WWE TV. He didn't say it on WWE.com. He said it on Twitter to a friend. Everyone I've ever know has called their friend a *** before. We have freedom of speech in this country and GLAAD tries to do away with it every day.

The real problem I have is with the fact that he has to attend sensitivity training now. Jesus Christ how much longer are we going to allow the thought police to control our lives in this country? Imagine if he had said he didn't believe in God and he was told by his boss that he had to go to bible study or he would be fired. What's the difference

If people keep letting things like this slide, freedom of speech will soon be a thing of the past. He's being punished by his work for something he said on Twitter. Soon enough there going to try to listen in to private phone calls and text messages. It's bullshit and Micheal Cole shouldn't have to apologize at all.

Vince McMahon is really the big piece of shit in all of this. That hypocritical motherfucker damn near makes me not want to watch WWE tv anymore. How many times has he made fun of gays in his company? During the Attitude Era a "homophobic" skit happened almost every week. Lets not forget the time he was looking for a new assistant on Smackdown. A gay man came down to the ring to try to get a job, and when he winked at Vince he got chased out of the ring with Vince threatened to kick his ass. How about the time at Wrestlemania 12 when Roddy Piper beat the hell out of a transgendered person to the roar of the crowd while the announcers called him a freak. Vince goes on all these ESPN interviews and says he's not afraid of anyone, yet he cowers on his knees for GLAAD? What a piece of shit.

Fuck Vince and GLAAD. Michael Cole has the right to say whatever he wants.

Fucking A PEOPLE DONT LISTEN. Yes, he DOES have the ''right'' to say what he wants, which does NOT include prejudice,racist slurs, period. And he will get handled with ADULT consequences, but I agree that the WWE is hypocritical at times, That I agree with.

But I assume 99% of you people know nothing of the freedom of speech, its not as cut and dry as you think, And plus I NEVER see you people use that excuse with positive things, only when you want to support immature negative rants and usage of words...Have fun trying that shit in REAL jobs, and in REAL life. Not this wrestling community.

Say ****** at work and see how far that ''Freedom of speech'' works, Yell, DIE ****** at a Obama rally, Try again, and GROW up, not everything needs to be put online or said, keep that hate crap to yourselves.

This is so dumb. Society is SO soft. Big freakin deal. Me and friends have called each other that very word in playful manners and not used or meant to be used in that sense. Bottomline, like most of you on this matter, society is soft and the bottomline and I don't care who resents this, but being gay is frowned apon in the bible.

Shut up with all of this "he should be fired" crap. He didn't say it on WWE TV or on their web site or anything owned by WWE. He said it on HIS OWN PERSONAL twitter account. So what if WWE and John Cena and GLAAD want to try to rid the world of the slurs (HA! GOOD LUCK!) that doesn't mean that EVERY other employee has to follow their example in all of their own personal lives.
It was just ONE HARMLESS comment. Everyone can get their panties out of the tight bunch they must be in, and GET OVER IT ALREADY.

This is so dumb. Society is SO soft. Big freakin deal. Me and friends have called each other that very word in playful manners and not used or meant to be used in that sense. Bottomline, like most of you on this matter, society is soft and the bottomline and I don't care who resents this, but being gay is frowned apon in the bible.

Wow. The bible band aid, Knew that would get brought up again. Society so SOFT? What do you want, people to be able to stone children when they talk back (In the bible as well) so don't try that, please, you'll look foolish.

YOU are NOT in the public eye, so what you say to your cronies is irrelevant, because you don't inspire ANYONE, or are a role model to ANYONE. So of course you don't have the consequences of this, and if your using words like that, I assume your a teen, hence, don't really count much, since maturity may not have fully developed in you to have to WORK in the real world, and now you CAN'T say whatever you want, Freedom of speech comes with MANY chains attached. Bone up, or grow up

Are people even READING these, or just posting quick spurts of nonsensical crap about free speech, with NO detail or even facts showing why bigoted prejudice words are okay. Of course not, because MOST aren't gay here, so its okay to poke fun at the gays, since they dont matter right?

My wife and I, are not gay in any way shape or form, but we stand for CIVIL RIGHTS, something most of you, obviously dont

I could care less what Michael Cole has running around in that malformed brain of his.

However, after seeing the front page news about how if Cole weren't in such a high profile Wrestlemania match he would've been fired, I'm really disappointed in the WWE.

In tolerating his actions, they're setting a terrible standard. I mean, this isn't even a wrestler, yet they're bending over backwards to keep him. He's an easily replaceable commentator who nobody has liked the entire decade he's been there. Yet get high enough on the Wrestlemania card and you're bulletproof?

I guess that logic holds, as John Cena has been calling the Rock nothing but gay their entire feud. That's his one and only go-to putdown. That his opponent must be gay. Bravo John, you've reached the pinnacle of comedy. Because being gay in this century is such a burn.

I say fire Cole, just because, and hire John Cena a new writer, because his material sucks.

I actually posted this earlier, on another thread. I should have assumed though that I should have waited until a thread on this particular topic began. So I apologize if anyone has read this already, but I'll cut and paste below:

I certainly can't condone what cole did via twitter....however, some things I think are worth mentioning:

1. Cole and I are the same age, and I can say that growing up as a kid, one of the most common, childish insults one would call another as a child is a ***, even not knowing what one meant at the time, just that it was an insult. As we get older we realize that it is a hateful word and most of us avoid it, but occasionally, in the heat of the moment, it is possible for one to revert back to a childhood word without meaning it in any derogatory way.

2. It is not the first time that a wrestler (I know cole is not a wrestler) has blurred the line between reality and a persona. Take stone cold steve austin, for example, someone who reportedly needed to take time off for a while because he was having trouble separating the two worlds, and it even went so far that during the time his wrestling persona was mean and rude to his wife debra on camera, that it continued off camera. I believe mark calloway/undertaker also had issues at one point of separating persona and the real world. Now, we have Cole, who has this new persona basically thrust on him of being an immoral and reprehensible jerk, it is possible that he made a brief mistake because he got carried away with his new, forced personality. No, it doesn't excuse what he did, but it might have been unintentional.

3. I hate to say this, but I have seen many posts in this forum where people, in an online argument, have used that word or have called someone "gay" in an attempt to be insulting, either to other posters or to wrestlers. I hate when I see it, but it's the truth, and it is the way our society still behaves, in general. So to be outraged at michael cole's use of a slanderous word, to some extent, we have to look at ourselves and society and general and wonder if it is really all his fault.

In the end, I want to be clear that I am not condoning his use of the word, as it is meant to be derogatory and insulting. I also think that there is a difference between saying something in the heat of the moment and typing it out, as the latter does require some degree of thought before following through on it. So clearly Cole did not think through what he was doing. Was it bad? Yes. Is he at fault? Of course. Did he mean to be gay-bashing? I doubt it.

In the end, I personally think that WWE is actually doing the right thing here. Cole apologized, the WWE apologized, and they are making sure Cole attends some training/awareness thing, just in case. But in the end I think this was an unfortunate mistake on Cole's part but to harp on it and dwell on it I don't think is necessary or will accomplish anything.

You speak of gays trying to ''FOrce'' everyone to love their lifestyle. That is so far from the truth its ridiculous. They just want rights, the simple rights like being able to get married, who the hell are you or ANYONE to deny that, in a country of ''The land of the free'' get real. It was a bigot prejudice slur used by a suppose adult professional, un-called for. NOT a route for gays to shove anything in anyones face. ****** is NOT the equivalent to ****, I don't know where you got that shit, Thats just a wrong fact.

Bottom line, HE messed up, he'll be reprimanded, not fired, but to see so much bigotry on this site is sad. And don't give me that ''****** is a bundle fo sticks '' crap, Not in america it isnt.

:lol: :lol:

Where did I offer my opinion on "rights"? I'm not trying to deny anyone anything. I've got no issues with gays having civil unions, etc. "Marriage" is a religious term and I'm not religious, so you'll have to take that angle up with the God Squad folks.

The ONLY people trying to DENY anyone anything here is the extremely-small, extremely-loud Gay Minorities. they are clearly trying to DENY the right guaranteed in the First Amendment of Free Speech.

Let's be clear here: Insulting someone by calling him a ****** is not libel nor slander but a simple playground insult. It's not the same as "yelling FIRE in a movie theater" either.

You gay folks need to get the fuck over yourselves and stop trying to censor speech. You also need to accept that....no matter how hard you try, there will always be people who do not accept an abnormal lifestyle.

Fight for your rights to party, engage in a civil union, etc....but stop getting your Nancy Pants in a wad over simple playground words like '******'.

GAY PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED. NOONE ON EARTH HAS THAT RIGHT.

So STFU and get over yourselves, already.

Here is the problem with this situation, it's a double standard. While GLAAD may be trying to do the "right thing", the fact remains that as an American we do have the right of free speech. I do understand that he made a mistake, but he is again human. You know you can say things out of anger. Or in their case, look at their friendship outside of the ring. Especially on S3 of NXT. There are never white or black issues, only shades of gray. I could go more indepth with examples, however, I feel my statement is clear. Forgiveness is lifes essential common denominator.

Fucking A PEOPLE DONT LISTEN. Yes, he DOES have the ''right'' to say what he wants, which does NOT include prejudice,racist slurs, period. And he will get handled with ADULT consequences, but I agree that the WWE is hypocritical at times, That I agree with.

But I assume 99% of you people know nothing of the freedom of speech, its not as cut and dry as you think, And plus I NEVER see you people use that excuse with positive things, only when you want to support immature negative rants and usage of words...Have fun trying that shit in REAL jobs, and in REAL life. Not this wrestling community.

Say ****** at work and see how far that ''Freedom of speech'' works, Yell, DIE ****** at a Obama rally, Try again, and GROW up, not everything needs to be put online or said, keep that hate crap to yourselves.

Thats the problem with your argument. He didn't say ****** at work, he said it on Twitter. If he had said it in the middle of the ring on TV, then yeah, you would have a point. His Twitter account is not work related. He was joking with a friend. That isn't hate speech. If two black guys are saying n*gger in a conversation, would you accuse them both of hate speech? As far as your Obama thing goes, that is so off base I don't even know how to respond.

The point is he DIDN'T scream ****** at a group of gay people. He said it to a friend as a joke. It wasn't on TV, and it wasn't on anything that had to do with his work. Cena accused Rock of being gay in live TV with millions of viewers. Cole said something to a friend of his through a personal medium. That is why I have a problem with GLAAD getting involved.

I have to agree with everyone here defending Cole, he shouldn't be punished at all.

I've used the word "******" with my friends and it's not to be homophobic. That never crosses my mind. Just friendly banter.

People make it their goal in life to be offended and to force people into their way of thinking.

It's all context, and in this one he did nothing wrong.

GLAAD can go to hell and all of those who want to force political correctness down everyones' throat.

Cole was wrong to say it. Period. I think marty mcfly has hit the nail on the head by saying that Cole should attend the awareness training but it's unnecessary to dwell on it. Cole made a mistake, he's too influential (believe it or not) right now to be saying anything that affects any group of people, let alone the specific group of people that WWE has just partnered with to help.

Don't fire him, he's one of the biggest heels in the company. But make him face consequences so that he learns not to do it again. Ban him from RAW next week? That's ridiculous, there's no reason to publicize any more than it already has just move on and get to WrestleMania

Thats the problem with your argument. He didn't say ****** at work, he said it on Twitter. If he had said it in the middle of the ring on TV, then yeah, you would have a point. His Twitter account is not work related. He was joking with a friend. That isn't hate speech. If two black guys are saying n*gger in a conversation, would you accuse them both of hate speech? As far as your Obama thing goes, that is so off base I don't even know how to respond.

The point is he DIDN'T scream ****** at a group of gay people. He said it to a friend as a joke. It wasn't on TV, and it wasn't on anything that had to do with his work. Cena accused Rock of being gay in live TV with millions of viewers. Cole said something to a friend of his through a personal medium. That is why I have a problem with GLAAD getting involved.

I will say, that GLAAD getting so involved is something that is a bit much, But when your in the public eye, that sort of privacy goes out the window, and trust me, THATS not right at all, I hate the media getting so involved with celebrities issues, but Cole knows that, He's not a rookie, you have to expect this kind of backlash, ya know. It may not be ''right'' per se, but thing is, thats the society we're in, Average people say this online on twitter all the time, but with Cole its different. Its not the end of the world, he apologized, My beef turned more to the responses of insensitivity to peoples rights on this forum, not so much about Cole.

The world sucks now. I'M GAY AND I'M LIKE SO OFFENDED. I have taken abuse before but you just shrug it off. These people have made a wee organisation to moan and complain about everything. Get over yourselves. Thats like a fat person starting one and getting rid of all fat jokes in the WWE.

I think a majority of you understand the seriousness of this issue. No matter what kind of language he used, albiet the word ******, ****** or what have you, he's in the spotlight and should be smart enough to know that using that kind of language is wrong. It's not his personal twitter acct because if it had been, no one would know about it. He used his WWE twitter page to insult (even if it was a joke) another WWE employee on there company twitter page. Personally, I think he should be at least suspended however it seems he is very luck considering he is in a major storyline that should be climaxing at WM. Bottom line is this: If your a famous person using a social media outlet that fans can see (fans of all ages mind you) then you should know better than to write anything that can be viewed as hateful or hurtful to any group of people. I think something more should be done than a GLAAD sensitivity meeting.

I have to say there is a difference between calling someone a "***" and a "******", ****** tends to have a little bit more anger behind it when people say it. I jokingly call my friends **** all the time, but for me its just another way of calling them lame. But most of the time that i have heard the word ****** used, it was in a gay slur; but hey, that may just be how its used in missouri.

I agree with both sides of this forum. There is nothing wrong with giving one of his buddies some crap, but he should of been smart of enough to know that he couldnt do that on twitter. If he was just an average citizen, then nobody would really give a damn, but he is seen on tv every week and he has a pretty big following...so although it does suck, once you get in a postion of power like that you have to watch what you say.

NOW, as far as GLADD getting on john cena's case, i think they should chill a little bit.

Overall, he should of though about what he was going to do before he did it, but it isnt really that big of a deal. He apologized immeadiatly after he said it, so all is good.

Side Note- Josh Mathews is a pretty buff little dude, im sure cole wasnt serious about what he was saying; Mathews would of wooped that ass!!
;)

The world we live in is very sensitive, and companies have shown they are more than willing to bow to lobbyist groups, which why this type of thing gets so much press.

One guy calling another guy a ****** isn't news. It happens a million times every day.

I have no problem with it. I use the word to joke with my friends, and describe gay people (who are not in the room).

Pretty much any insult is going to upset some group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back