Metroid

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
No, this isn't the official "Metroid: Other M" thread. (Why isn't there one yet!? Guess it's up to me to make that thread too, then?) It's about the whole series.

It all began with Metroid on the NES way back in 1986. Familiar faces such as Samus, Kraid, Ridley, Mother Brain, and of course the Metroids all made their debut appearance here. It was fun, difficult, and fondly remembered by many. Even had a huge spoiler at the end for those who finished the game quickly enough. What was it?
Samus is a girl.
Most of you know this already, but spoilers are spoilers, regardless of how old they are. It also received a remake on the GBA as Metroid Zero Mission, to include better graphics and music, as well as a new quest at the end of it.

A sequel, Metroid 2, was released for the Game Boy.

Then there was Super Metroid on the SNES, which is regarded by some (myself included) as the best in the series. Many familiar faces from the original came back, and there were lots of cool new items and abilities.

After that, no games were released until the Prime trilogy. In these games the gameplay changed drastically, more similar to a first person shooter, rather than the platform/exploration combination of the older games. This was met with criticism from some, and appreciation from others. Other releases during this time include Metroid Fusion, and Zero Mission (remake of the original.) Finally, this fall saw the release of "Metroid: Other M", the newest entry to the series.

With that quick history lesson out of the way.... Here come the discussion questions for this thread.

1. What game in the Metroid series did you like the best and why?

2. Which gameplay style do you prefer, the oldschool style from the older games, the one used in the Prime games, or the use of both in Other M? Any reasons why?

3. Should any of the older games receive a remake like the original did in Zero Mission? What would you like to see done in said remake?

4. Any games in the series you dislike? Why?

5. Got any random memories/stories you'd like to share?

I'll go first. The best in my opinion was Super Metroid because it had a great combination of good gameplay, good music, and good graphics (for 1994). Few games ever achieve all three of those things at once anymore. The older games had the best gameplay style since the way it affected the gameplay, I honestly could not STAND the Prime games due to issues with its controls and gameplay. I think that both Metroid 2 and Super Metroid deserve remakes, perhaps for the 3DS? They could add new missions and items from later entries, it would make these classics even better. For example.... the new/secret mission in Super Metroid if it received a remake could explain who that corpse in Kraid's lair was, or little things like that. I have several memories, but I'd like to hear from the rest of you before getting into any of that.

Now it's your turn.

Discuss. DO NOT SPAM.

Is anybodies answer really going to be anything other than Super Metroid? Don't get me wrong, just about every game in the series is very good but Super Metroid took the genre somewhere it hadn't really been. Is Prime or it's sequels really must own titles for their respective consoles like Super Metroid was? I'd say no, but still excellent games nonetheless.

It may just boil down to my admitted SNES fanboyism, but really I cannot think of any attribute that any other Metroid game beat SM at. Sure you have improved graphics, but this is one of the best examples of ''better'' graphics not making for a better game. The vibrancy and contrasting colors displayed in the different layers of Zebes in SM is amazing. Just simply gorgeous backdrops and the fact that every time you peeled a layer away from Zebes surface to reveal an entire new world, the game took on a completely different feel while still maintaining it's core. From the Earthly Brinstar to the underwater Maridia, every section of this game has a life of it's own. Prime and the games that followed it didn't do this nearly as well, even with the improved graphics that come along with a more advanced system.

The controls in the later Metroid games were spectacular, that should be said. Very easy to use and get used to and very efficient for that type of game play. Still, there is something so damn easy and comfortable about SM's controls. I'm not saying I like all of my games simple, but this is just a perfect example of perfect controls. Never did it feel like you had stress to aim or exhaust yourself trying to get atop a ledge, you controlled every little movement of Samus. Simple and perfect.

There are a million ways in which Super Metroid is the crowning achievement of the franchise. None of the other games in the series have achieved the same ambiance and real feeling of isolation that SM did, and it did it while having less to work with. That's a real accomplishment. There are very few games that I would call perfect; this is one of them.

My first Metroid game will probably always be my favorite. It is also the most unique. That would be Metroid 2 for the GameBoy. I could not put that game down for very long. I was blown away by the detail the little GameBoy could put out in this game, and by how long it went. There's a chilling feeling that crawls up your back when you are deep into the catacombs of the planet, the music goes quiet, and you feel that you will stumble onto another Omega Metroid at any moment. The music reminds me of the Elder Scrolls series in that things will go from steady and calm to loud and chaotic in a heartbeat. The Metroid encounters themselves almost always come as a surprise, even when you find the telltale shells of their first forms lying around in an area. No plot, no other characters, just you and a world full of enemies. Just my style.

2. Which gameplay style do you prefer, the oldschool style from the older games, the one used in the Prime games, or the use of both in Other M? Any reasons why?

Other M is miles away from the crap that is the Prime series, but I think my preference is still the original style of control. Other M removes most of the problems I had with first person view in the Prime series, but there's still the disconnect of going from a comfortable control to having to point at the screen. It slows things down ever so slightly, and makes switching from blaster to missiles in combat quiet cumbersome.

3. Should any of the older games receive a remake like the original did in Zero Mission? What would you like to see done in said remake?
I would love to see Metroid 2 get a next-gen treatment. The only criticisms I have about the game stem from hardware issues more than they do from the gameplay. I think with the hardware available today the game could better distinguish areas from one another and could play with lighting to add another dimension to the tense nature of the game.

The Prime series. They control like garbage (I hate fucking scanning things), they have little to no relevance to the overall story of Samus, and in the end they are trying to imprint an FPS shell onto what is in essence a platform title with elements of exploration. I don't think I've even booted up the copy of Metroid Prime: Trilogy that someone got me as a gift earlier this year.

If only I could remember the number of times I almost pissed myself by a surprise Metroid attack in Metroid 2.

I've been meaning to make a post here, but held off while playing Other M.
No, this isn't the official "Metroid: Other M" thread. (Why isn't there one yet!? Guess it's up to me to make that thread too, then?) It's about the whole series.
Don't worry. I might make it.

Don't get me wrong. Super Metroid was a bad ass game beyond belief, but I enjoyed Metroid Fusion more. Especially in my first run though it. The game added the one thing I disliked about Super Metroid and Metroid 1. A clarity of direction. I know the games are very un-linear and that's what made them fun. But at some points it got ridiculous and had you wondering "just what the fuck do I do know?!". Metroid Fusion pointed you on a good direction while still giving you the" how do I get there" scheme. Not to mention, SA-X > Nemesis.
Old school. It's more unique. FPS, especially in these days are way too saturated.
Metroid 2. The game has great potential. It's nonlinear, but it doesn't leave you to guess where to go randomly. The one kill in the game for me was the lack of color. It's a very gloomy environment. It didn't suit it at all and could be very disorienting.

And after watching the prologue of Other M, Super Metroid.
Metroid Prime 2, 3, Pinball and Hunters. They just milked the FPS thing until everyone was sick of it. I liked Prime 1, but when I got 2 it just seemed too identical and with 3 it was getting a tad ridiculous.
The last fight with SA-X, for me at least, rival's the fight with Mother Brain in Super Metroid. It's like a Link /Dark Link kind of thing.

Also in Other M, a bunch. There is a lot of "callback" and a few "callforwards" that set Metroid Fusion greatly. One "callforward" came from out of nowhere and literally had me drooling myself when I saw who it was. Not to mention one main plot in particular shocked me to no end. Even though it really shouldn't be surprising at all.

For me it would have to be the original, it was one of the first games I ever owned & one of the few I ever finished, to this day I still consider it one of my all time favorite games

I should note that their are several Metroid games I have never played, namely the Gameboy and SNES ones, I never owned a SNES, and trying to convince my parents to buy anything for our Gameboy was next to impossible (according to them the gameboy was to be shared between my sister and I one roadtrips)

Prolly the original oldschool version since they were the easiest to master, I didn't mind the FPS style once I got a hang of the controls, I fucking hate the Wii controls, found it a pain in the ass to get the hang off, didn't like the whole aiming with the Wii-mote

IDK about a remake, but I wouldn't mind seeing them re-release them all as an Ultimate collection or something, that is something I would gladly shell $50-60 for

I haven't played all the games, but the only one I had problems with was Prime 3, and that was due to the fucking ******ed controls, and the whole stupid aiming thing that I've already mentioned

I remember being pissed when I let my friend borrowed the game while I went on vacation with my family, only to have him move away while we were gone and take the game with him, the part about it that pisses me off the most was we were suppose to be home a day or two earlier, and my parents decided just to extend the vacation out a bit more, had we gotten home when we were suppose to I would have been able to say goodbye to my friend (who was actually prolly my best friend at the time) and get my game back

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back